IMDb > "Friday Night" (1983) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Friday Night" More at IMDbPro »"Friday Night Videos" (original title)

Deserved a better time slot.

Author: hmm_ from United States
27 September 2001

This show came on late night Friday/early morning Saturday. If If NBC had put this show in with their Friday prime time shows it would have survived.

It was always well worth staying up for

Author: Jerry Ables from Tennessee
13 August 2002

I remember tuning in to watch this show every week and always enjoyed doing so because it was such a great show to watch. I enjoyed watching the music videos that they played as well as the stand up comedians they featured every week and I thought that Rita Sever was a lovely and very cordial host.

Poor man's MTV.

Author: jwrowe3 from Tampa, FL
20 July 2002

When I was a poor college student in East Texas, it took MTV forever to make it on to our local cable provider. I remember my first exposure to a music video, was watching The Midnight Special in the 1970's. In 1982, I got my first look at the up-start MTV, while in Florida on Spring Break from school. I was hooked. Spent the entire week in a chair, watching the same, ummm, 10 videos, over and over, it seemed. If I ever see Blue Oyster Cult's "I'm Burnin' for You" one more time, I'll scream! But most music acts had yet to understand what importance the music video would play, and there were just a hand full to be screened. And many of those were from groups, best left forgotten.

NBC, caught up in the music video revolution, started in 1983 airing videos on this show. Usually there were introduced by an off camera voice talent, but I seem to recall a host every now and then.

By the mid 80's, most everyone had some sort of way to access MTV, and "Friday Night Videos" became redundant as a "music video" format. It added hosts and other bits. By then, I'd stopped watching, and accidently found the show one night, surfing thru channels.