IMDb > "The King of Queens" (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The King of Queens"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The King of Queens" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Could it be anymore under rated?

Author: danlman447 from United States
19 October 2004

I consider myself to be a connoisseur of sitcoms, and used to spend many long hours wasting my life watching them all. Sense Seinfeld, Friends and many other great sitcoms have left the scene I am left with wasting my life on the one great series that is left, "The King of Queens", and in my humble opinion beats them all. I have to admit, as has been mentioned before, it takes a couple of shows before you get hooked but it doesn't take long before you start realizing the brilliant comedic performance and timing of Kevin James, Patton Oswalt, Jerry Stiller and Leah Remini. I don't think the few people criticizing the show realize just how much talent it takes to make the world laugh, they really don't. However, I'm puzzled only about one thing, "Everybody Loves Raymond," but I don't, and it is hovering around #5 in the ratings but The King of Queens, which totally kicks ass on Raymond isn't even showing up in the top 20, what's up with that? Don't get me wrong because I've watched Raymond and I think it is "okay" funny but not nearly the caliber that KoQ's is. CBS needs to give a little more respect and focus some PR on the show and especially Kevin James because when movie goers get finally get tired of the very funny Adam Sandler I predict Kevin is next in line (or at least I secretly hope).

A damn funny show!!!

Author: mattymatt4ever from Jersey City, NJ
27 February 2002

I never thought I would ever say this, but...the funniest sitcoms out right now (2002) are on CBS! The network used to broadcast only shows that the 65 and over crowd would enjoy. This is a very, very funny show!

Now, most sitcoms depend a lot on forced humor. This show doesn't. The writing and performances are very natural. And I never watch the show without getting at least 10 good laughs.

Kevin James is a great, underrated comedian. He should really get more recognition for his talent. He always cracks me up. Kevin's not a bland comic, yet he doesn't go over-the-top. He has just the right anecdote to produce big laughs. By the way, he hosted the "People's Choice Awards" and he was great! It was hilarious when he walked off stage in his boxers.

Jerry Stiller, thankfully, gets the chance to once again display his incredible talent. He was memorable as Frank Costanza on "Seinfeld" and he's actually given a role that lives up to it. I guess you can say he's the one "Seinfeld" cast member, as of now, who's still a television success.

Leah Remini is a beautiful actress. She is great to look at, and has a superb sense of timing. She holds her own, not getting upstaged by the two professional comedians.

If you haven't checked out the show as of yet, I really suggest you do. It's one of the few funny shows on television. I'm really discerning when it comes to sitcoms, so take my word for it--it's great!

My score: 8 (out of 10)

King of comedy

Author: chrisoutram from uk
28 March 2006

I am from England and have only been watching KOQ for the past 4 months, yet already i am hooked. This show has two things that other great sitcoms don't or didn't, Kevin James and Jerry Stiller. Kevin must be one of the most underrated comedy actors there is, his comedy timing is perfect, he is insensitive yet endearing and basically just damn funny, the scenes between him and Leah Remini are just fantastic. But the scene steeler every time for me is Jerry, he is just amazingly funny and his unpredictability is comic genius. I was a huge fan of friends and was bitterly disappointed when it finished but now i think i have found a sitcom which surpasses it. Well done America this is a comedy gem. 5/5

Very Funny!

Author: SonicStuart from Kansas City, MO
8 August 2004

The King of Queens is a very funny show especially since Jerry Stiller (Ben Stiller's dad) is in this series and I think Jerry Stiller is hilarious! This series is about a blue-collar couple, Douglas and Carrie Heffernan (Kevin James and Leah Remini) share their home in Queens, New York (suburb of New York City) with Carrie's crazy dad, Arthur (played the hilarious, Jerry Stiller). Burly Doug, who makes a living as a parcel deliveryman, often has to scheme to find time alone with Carrie, as Arthur can be quiet a handful -- so much so that they a dog-walker, Holly, to look after him. When he's not working, clashing with Arthur, or nesting with Carrie, Doug hangs with his advice-giving buddies Deacon (Victor Williams) and Spence (Patton Oswalt), as well as his cousin Danny (Gary Valentine). This series premiered on CBS in September 1998. This series is so funny and I think all the jokes are funny and I think Leah Remini kind of reminds me of Jennifer Aniston from "Friends".

User Rating: 9/10

BOTTOM LINE: VERY FUNNY!

Comedy from the New York suburbs

Author: IrockGswift (IrockGswift@aol.com) from east orange, new jersey
24 November 2005

This show is hilarious. You've got Doug played by Kevin James who is the loving and sometimes self-centered husband to Carrie played by Leah Remini. Now Carrie her character is witty and somewhat high-strung. Living with them is Carrie's father Arthur who appears to be one of the highlights of the show. This show was released in 1998 and I didn't start watching it until about a year ago and found it interestingly funny. Out of mostly all the sitcoms on TV this show has a realistic quality about it. King of Queens is a show focus on everyday life of a middle working-class couple. It's very rare to see a sitcom like this within the past decade. The humor is full of satire which makes the show catchable to enjoy. Arthur played Jerry Stiller is a well-known comic and as a supporting cast member he is terrific. King of Queens is definitely a show to watch week nights after a days work. Even the repeats are still enjoyable.

Best Comedy On TV

Author: pattycake99 from Newport, DE, USA
7 October 2006

I have been watching King of Queens from the beginning, and have felt it is overlooked at the award shows. This show has the best humor, you can identify with the characters, we talk about it at work a lot, because I work at a company a lot like IPS, (DHL) and we just love the Teamster plugs!! Carrie is my hero, she is the best, she just puts it out there, no matter what the subject is. Arthur well what can you say? He just cracks you up, and really puts a spin on things. Doug, well he is just so lovable, and funny, the three characters, plus all the friends just make the show complete. This is the best comedy on TV!! I would say up there with Seinfeld, and hey, there's nothing wrong with that .... Excellente!! as Doug would say.

Great Show!!!!!!!

Author: Drew-Barrymore-Obsessed from Earth
20 June 2004

This show is hilarious. I actually didn't watch it that much until I got really interested in it. Kevin James gets you sucked into the show.

I actually thought it would have been off the air right now but now I love it. It captured me for one reason and that is Arthur.

Arther plays Carrie's father who is Jerry Stiller. I thought it would be like Seinfeld with Festaval thingy. But it actually isn't.

I think everyone should see at least one episode to see if you like especially Carrie's 30th Birthday or the one where Deacon and his wife go some where cause of a family crisis and Doug and Carrie watch Deacon's kids. It is a very addicting show. I give it probably an A+

Or as I say 10/10

One of the most creative sitcoms on TV

Author: creativetv from United States
3 September 2006

When this show first came on the air, I saw it once or twice and thought it was another "fat guy, skinny wife" show that seemed to populate the networks at the time. It was just "okay" upon initial viewings and I didn't watch it again; however, once it went into syndication, I caught several episodes (simply because it was on twice a night), and I'm telling you, the more you watch this show, the funnier it is. Once you see how all of the great supporting characters are connected, this show makes you laugh out loud. Every new episode I watch is more creative than the one before--people who only watch this a couple of times will not notice this. The writing and story lines are much more sophisticated than they appear at first (this is far from "According to Jim"). First of all, Kevin James is hysterical, incredibly charming, and a talented comedic actor, as is the supporting cast. Leah Remini has excellent timing, and Patton Oswalt's Spence is one of the funnier characters on the show. And of course, Jerry Stiller is brilliant as Arthur. I was shocked to read comments that he was the worst part of the show--he's a gigantic part of why this show is so great--his delivery of these ridiculous schemes (rounding out the crazy dad character) are beyond hilarious. And the yelling--the best episode is when they show him as a kid yelling "Lemon Icee!!". That episode, during which Carrie takes him to a therapist in hopes to get him medicated (to make Doug less stressed out), guest star William Hurt decides that Arthur yells because he's never been validated. The latter part of the episode where Doug beats up his childhood self in a therapy session is beyond funny, it's one of the most creative scenes I've seen on a sitcom. I feel the strange need to defend this show, because it is severely underrated--while "Friends" was sometimes amusing, and "Raymond" has some great episodes and characters, they both lacked the creative touch that "King of Queens" has. In an era where most sitcoms have canned jokes and are on the whole mediocre, "King of Queens" continues to push the sitcom envelope and show real comic genius. Critics of this show obviously don't get it--or haven't watched the show enough to give it a chance, because anyone with real comic and creative sensibility has to laugh out loud while watching. It's certainly on par with my other two favorites, "Seinfeld" and "The Office" in its ridiculous tone. It's the Arthurs, Kramers, and Michael Scotts of TV that keep us watching, and laughing out loud.

The King of Queens is the best ever

Author: vinny_styles from Ireland
1 October 2006

I have not seen a better comedy than the King of Queens for many years. I rate it one of the best ever. I've just returned to Ireland from Arizona on American Airlines from a biz trip and by chance they showed several episodes. I laughed my head off and later I asked the stewards to play again and they did. Thank you AA. The acting from all the team is first rate and especially from Kevin James, Leah Remini and Gerry Stiller, but from all of the cast in fact the acting is superb. I love all the cast, they are so funny. There is a hard edge in the King of Queens that I love and is seldom seen in today's TV comedy. Both Leah and Kevin play off each other so well that every situation is believable and hilariously funny. I have just purchased the 2nd season while I was in Az this week and I intend buying the full set the next time I am in the US. My son who is 20yrs old also loves this show and its brilliance is that it has the magic to reach out to different generations. I would like to thank all those involved with this amazing show - it's so appreciated to see this kind of TV show in what is in my opinion an era of poor TV fair in general these days with the exception of re-runs of Seinfeld and such like... Thanks for a great show..

this is a hilarious show

Author: theguys1 from Pennsylvania, US
1 July 2005

Every night after Malcolm in the Middle, I watch a double dose of this show on UPN 9 at 7. There are some problems with the show, but the rest is just pure hilarity. The problems are mostly that often in the episodes Doug might start up a topic and he and Carrie fight about the topic throughout the whole episode. Despite the topics, the show has great characters with original personalities. Arthur is a hilarious character that I think the show couldn't do without. This show reminds me of Everybody Loves Raymond, which is just as funny, but King of Queens' comedic jokes are easier to figure out than Raymond's. This is a good way to spend an hour of your time, because you'll love it.

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]