IMDb > The Godson (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Ouch!

Author: anonymous from South Coast Metro, CA
21 October 1998

As a fan of really bad movies, this one was hard for even me to stomach. It made Anaconda look like a masterpiece of cinema. This movie reeks of Dom Deluise (coincidentally one of the stars). I love Kevin MacDonald from Kids in the Hall, but nothing could have made this movie worth making--for anyone involved! From horrible acting to horrible writing, this movie stinks through and through. I dare you to watch.

It wasn't that Bad

Author: RichN36 from Harrison, Michigan
11 December 2004

OK here's the deal Late Saturday Night went to the Video Store all the New Movies were Rented or I have Seen it and didn't like it. So I head to the Middle of the Store where the .50 movies are and I take my best shot and go for the Direct to Video Movies or some of the Oldies but Goodies. Its Kind of like Mystery Movie of the Week.

Here was this Movie on the Bottom Shelf called "The Godson" being that I am on a Rediscovery of "The Godfather" I picked it up and wasn't hopping for Much just something to kill a Saturday Night. The Plus it did have Dom Deloise and Roddney Dangerfield. I thought it would be fun to watch Comic Masters from the Hey Day of the Johnny Carson Tonight Show years.

What I ended up Watching was a Take off of The Godfather and all the bad Gangster Movies of the 80's and 90's a lot of the Jokes were really bad but then some of them were dead on drop down funny. By the middle of the Movie I stoped what I was doing and actually paid attention to the Movie and had a few good Laughs. I liked the Sides to the audiences that started to take place out of the Blue halfway through the Movie. Which was my Favorite Part I am a Sucker for the breaking the third wall on the stage or Screen.

OK it could of been a lot better Maybe play it straight and not go for the Low humor that the Movie went to at times. on the other hand some of the Jokes they could of worked more on such as the Mafia University. What a Great Idea they could of made the Movie on that with the same Results toward the End.

It was nice to see Roddney Dangerfield again A Comic Mastermind that is gone.

If you are still reading this and going on my Recommendation of seeing this movie or not I say give it a Shot if not this Give the Movies in the Middle of the Video Store a chance there are some gems. The Middle of the Video Store is Like a Box of Choclates You never know what you are going to get.

A really bad movie that I can't help but watch

Author: Chuckles11 from Virginia, USA
6 June 2001

This is a bad movie that I watch almost everytime it's on. And no its not one of those movies that gets better the more you watch it. It's a really bad movie with horrible acting. It's a spoof plain and simple. There are funny parts like when Guppy (Kevin McDonald) is riding in his limo and the headlights of the car behind him begin to move around. I suggest watching it so you can have the knowledge of how bad some spoofs can really be.

Dear lord......

Author: thebishop2 from Heaven above
16 December 2000

Why is it good character type actors who are funny in little roles always want to be the star of a movie? Why can't they just accept the fact that they're really good at the bit part that everyone remembers?

Kevin McDonald fits this to a tee, and this movie proves it. It's really bad parody of The GodFather. It has what looks like a good cast and it SOUNDS like it's gonna be funny, but all it turns out to be is a few sight gags and cameos strung together by a pitifully bad script. The 'stars' in the film include Rodney Dangerfield and Dom Deluise. But it follows Guppy, McDonalds character, throughout this godawful flick. How he's trying to take his family legit and blah,blah,blah.....

Why can't he just get the Kids in the Hall back together? It seems like he can't break out of the mold that he was on that show. He plays weird little characters. Nothing else. I still like him as a bit player, but he's proven that he definetly can't carry a film. Put a big pass on this one.

The "God" damn best movie!

Author: Doug Hagar from Ontario, Canada
9 July 2000

This has got to be one of the best movies I've seen. You should only watch it if you're in the mood for a good parody. All those people who said that it was the worst movie they've seen, live a very sheltered life!

All the play on humour, stupid jokes, make this movie awesomely funny. If there was a word that could describe this movie it would be funnyrifictastic!

Everytime I watch this movie, I pick up something I didn't see before. Believe me, this movie gets funnier the more times you watch it. Go rent it!

This film grows on you like a fungus, before you know it you think it's very funny

Author: dunnfilms from usa
24 January 2001

Have you ever seen a movie that you didn't love the first time but somehow after three or four viewings you find yourself quoting it constantly? This is one of those films. Everyone will not laugh at every joke but the more you see it the more jokes you will get.This silly spoof comedy is smarter than you think it just takes a few times to make it work.

Silly, yet amusing parody

Author: Jonathan Fain (faincut@gmail.com) from Tel Aviv, Israel
12 April 2002

I have seen better parodies on the Godfather trilogy. This one is cute and harmless. It has a couple of funny jokes, but basically the movie doesn't deliver what it should. This movie is more of TV movie you catch while sitting bored at bed with the flew, looking for something to cheer you up. That is what happened to me. I find it extremely difficult to realize who will go to see it at the cinema or rent it on DVD. I don't think the lead was so good, maybe if they would bring someone more experienced to play the lead the movie would be what 'spaceballs' is to 'star wars'.

I liked the burp scene... :) 6 of 10

I hate this film! Hate it, hate it, hate it!

Author: Zoolander5578 (Zoolander5578@cs.com) from Denver, US
3 February 2004

I absolutely despise this movie. There is not a single laugh. You'd think after having respectable names from the field of comedy that this hunk of junk might actually be worth something. Not a chance.

I can't believe that Kevin McDonald and Rodney Dangerfield didn't provide any good ad-lib to make this movie work somehow. The guy who wrote and directed this garbage should be put on death row for making them follow his brain-dead script. If this movie went completely out of print and no one ever heard from it again, the world would be a few steps closer to being a better place.

As bad as it gets

Author: briscojr from Arkansas, U.S.A.
13 October 2000

This movie truly has it all. Astonishingly bad acting, directing, writing, editing... it belongs very high on any list of the worst movies ever made. It doesn't even fit into that "so bad it's good" category. After an uninspired, stupid, and simply unfunny opening gag, the film goes downhill from there. The "big stars" are Dom DeLuise and Rodney Dangerfield, but they really play supporting roles to Kevin McDonald of "Kids in the Hall" fame. Kevin was hilarious on that show, but given this material I actually felt sorry for him, and everyone else involved in the film. This movie is only for anyone who wants to see just how awful a film can be. Certainly one of the worst I've ever seen.

funny as heck

Author: toddodias from rochester, ny
22 May 2002

Regardless of what the movie critics say, I thought this was one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. The part where they tried to bank for quick cash and it wasn't the type of bank one would deposit cash into was a riot. If you want comedy, with this all star cast you cannot go wrong with this movie.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]