IMDb > "CBS News Sunday Morning" (1979) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"CBS News Sunday Morning" More at IMDbPro »

Still one of the best shows on television

Author: Albert Sanchez Moreno from United States
29 July 2004

If you remember to set your VCR, or if you get up at a little before 9 AM on Sunday mornings, you can tune in to what has now become one of the last commercial network television shows in which you can still see at least one feature story about the arts per week. In fact, no other commercial television program I know of covers the arts AND politics as well as this one does, not even "60 Minutes".

"CBS Sunday Morning" is one of the very few shows on the air that devotes equal time to news, politics, historical events of past years, famous people from all walks of life, show business, and the arts, and it does so in a highly entertaining manner. Despite recent efforts to gimmick it up with high-tech graphics in what has come to be known as the MTV style, plus an unfortunate new tendency to include commentary about rock musicians and rock music releases at the expense of stories about classical musicians (in a misguided effort to pander to the under-30 crowd) the show remains one of the best on television. It is most likely the only commercial network program that would have had the guts to broadcast the "Horowitz in Moscow" concert live.

The producers of this show should take pride in what they have accomplished over the last twenty-five years, instead of trying to be trendy and buying into targeting their audience. "Sunday Morning" does not need to apologize for appealing to a more intelligent segment of the television public, nor does it need dumbing down. Flautist Eugenia Zuckerman, who usually covers the program's classical stories, may be unable to still do this, but surely CBS could bring some other classical luminary as a regular correspondent and put more emphasis on classical music than they recently have.

Still, that is no reason to write this program off as unwatchable. On the contrary, it is highly watchable, and it is the ONLY commercial television program, aside from, perhaps, "60 Minutes", on which one can see and hear the work of some of the world's greatest artists. No one should miss it, even if they have to set their VCR's to catch it.

A Diverse Blend of News, Features, Arts and Nature

Author: hfan77 from St. Louis Park, MN
8 January 2013

I have watch CBS News Sunday Morning for many years and to me it's a diverse blend of news, features, the arts and nature. Since it's debut in 1979, two men have presided over the show in a low-key and comforting manner, Charles Kuralt and Charles Osgood. They keep the show moving and set the viewer up for the upcoming feature. There are also some moments when Osgood sings and plays the piano.

All of the elements resemble a Sunday newspaper's magazine section and offer the viewer something for everyone. There have also been commentaries from people over the years such as Jeff Greenfield, Ron Powers and Ben Stein.

One feature I enjoy is at the end of each episode when there is a nature scene. Usually running about a minute, there is no dialogue, just views of mountains, waterfalls or other outdoor scenery. It's one of the best uses of the visual aspect of TV.

Though Osgood recently tuned 80, Sunday Morning is a show that could go on for many years to come, even after he decides to retire. It's a timeless show that never gets stale and one of the few spots on network TV today that spotlights classical music since the demise of shows like Omnibus and The Bell Telephone Hour.

If you're looking for something to watch after sleeping late on a Sunday Morning, give the show a shot. from the opening trumpet theme to the closing nature scene, you will be informed and enlightened.

Sunday Morning

Author: sclsl from United States
30 January 2008

We've been enjoying Sunday Morning since the late 70's. It's versatility of coverage (news, arts, commentary, humor, to mention a few) have been providing conversation to us two old time marrieds weekly.

Recently we saw a young violinist, Aaron Weinstein, perform at The Bickford in Morristown, NJ. Duly impressed with his talent, we bought one of his CD's, "Blue Too," produced by Arbors Records, Inc. (at the outrageous price of $20) and we would like to put Sunday Morning arts producers on notice to check out this talented young man.

Read the well said commentary on the back of the CD by Nat Hentoff, jazz critic.

Looking forward to it all week

Author: pefrss from Las Vegas
16 March 2015

I am always looking forward to the CBS Sunday Morning show, especially in winter. In summer I have a little bit of a conflict because I usually go on a long bike ride on Sundays and I am not good at recording things. Most of the time I enjoy all the segments, even if the subject does not interest me first, they usually succeed to hold my interest. I am especially looking forward to segments about visual art, architecture and classical music. Something which you barely find in any other show. I could live without celebrity interviews if they are from the movie or pop music kind. There is enough of that on every single talk show. I nearly always follow up on the artists they feature and find out more about them . Great inspiring show.

Beautiful Human Stories...But Concerned!

Author: randcarlson-89358 from United States
18 December 2016

I've have enjoyed this program since its beginnings with Charles Kuralt, through Charles Osgood, and now with Jane Pauley. The recipe of this show with human interest stories, art, nature, and celebrities is the chemistry that has made this program so successful and a pleasure to bathe in every Sunday Morning.This show takes the viewer away from all the daily news grind we get beat up with all week long and takes you to a gentle, serene place where simple humanity touches your heart. With that being said, I am very concerned with 2 similar stories that have recently aired, both stories done by special contributor,Ted Koppel. In his piece done earlier in November, he polluted your incredible recipe, by introducing the ingredient of "POLITICAL CRAP." The story was about citizens in a coal mining town devastated by unemployment in the mining industry. In his piece 3 times he uttered the phrase, "Do you really think Donald trump will make a difference?" His focus went from the true human story to politicizing the story. The piece he did that aired this morning 12/18/16, once again, the ugliness of politics and fake news was the focus of his piece. Your staff correspondents and reporters over the years have been an incredible asset to the success of CBS Sunday Morning.They have a grace and a passion for bringing the human story front and center. Whomever is making the decision to air Ted Koppel and these political pieces is messing with success. Whereas Charles Kuralt and Charles Osgood mellowed with age like a fine wine, Ted Koppel brings a gruff sounding old voice and a subject matter of politics that we dread and look for escape from in viewing this show. His chemistry and background of infusing politics into the show do not mesh well with the incredible fabric of Sunday Morning. I would hope that CBS News would keep their political stories for Monday through Saturday programming and keep it completely out of Sunday Morning.

Not Enough Afro-American Stories

Author: hiphopphotos from United States
1 June 2014

I've always jumped up or set my clock to watch CBS New Sunday Morning Show, but the more I watched the more I realized there are NOT enough Afro-American stories aired on the show. Today was kinda like the straw that broke the camel's back. My mother and I would watch the show together from separate homes and discuss the topics during commercials. Today-we phoned each other after watching the whole show simply to note to our amazement, NOT ONE discussion of the Late Great Mrs. Maya Angelo. Really-I'm done. That's it, I'll contact CBS directly on Monday, but for the CBS review-I had to advise my people or those who care. The producers must be crazy to think-Maya would NOT be missed today. :(

From unmissable to unwatchable

Author: Dan Oines (yo0o0oy@yahoo.com) from Florida, USA
23 March 2001

"The great 'movement'--that was the cant term--went on: a diseased commotion, moral and physical. Art--the Arts--arose supreme, and, once enthroned, cast chains upon the intellect which had elevated them to power. Man, because he could not but acknowledge the majesty of Nature, fell into childish exultation at his acquired and still-increasing dominion over her elements. Even while he stalked a God in his own fancy, an infantine imbecility came over him."

-Edgar Poe, "The Colloquy of Monos and Una", 1850

What began as a breath of fresh air has transformed, by slow degrees, into a death rattle. There was a time when I never wanted to miss Sunday Morning. It was a peaceful oasis of the mind in contrast to the obnoxious blare pervading broadcast TV. I loved everything about the show, especially the minimalist set and graphics. The unhurried pace was just right for presenting the arts.

It all changed for me when they did a story about the poet Gil Scott-Heron. He recited "Whitey on the moon." The same network that gloried in the peaceful Apollo missions was now denouncing them for not solving poverty and racism. Turning a great scientific achievement for all mankind into a bitter, alienated complaint (with no counterpoint from Walter Cronkite or the astronauts themselves) was a lamentable display of intellectual bankruptcy.

As the years flew past, I grew irritated at stories about artists that focused on their gender and ethnicity rather than their art. The condescending tone of surprise that non white males were producing sculptures, paintings, music, and literature reflected badly on CBS. It also insulted the audience (did they think we were ignorant, narrow-minded, and consumed with racism?) and trivialized the creativity of the individuals profiled.

The miserable cloud of Politics now blocks out the healthy sunshine of universal truths. TV critic John Leonard seriously compared Whitney Houston's Super Bowl rendition of "The Star Spangled Banner" during the Gulf War to a Nazi rally. The less said about the excessive Weight and Import in Martha Teichner's vocal delivery the better.

If there is a chance to reinforce the cosmology of contemporary liberalism, Sunday Morning takes it. I can't even see how the most liberal among us can enjoy the show anymore. Isn't it wearisome to be reminded, week after week, how bad the McCarthy era was? Keeping his supposedly destroyed image alive can only serve the ends of propagandists. Every cult needs a devil, I suppose.

Sunday Morning was once a fair tree, peacefully bearing inspirational fruit. I used to love seeing the melting ice by the riverside each spring. Now it is a dead log, tilted to the left, covered with fungi. Cancel it and bring back Captain Kangaroo!