IMDb > "CBS News Sunday Morning" (1979) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"CBS News Sunday Morning" More at IMDbPro »

Still one of the best shows on television

Author: Albert Sanchez Moreno from United States
29 July 2004

If you remember to set your VCR, or if you get up at a little before 9 AM on Sunday mornings, you can tune in to what has now become one of the last commercial network television shows in which you can still see at least one feature story about the arts per week. In fact, no other commercial television program I know of covers the arts AND politics as well as this one does, not even "60 Minutes".

"CBS Sunday Morning" is one of the very few shows on the air that devotes equal time to news, politics, historical events of past years, famous people from all walks of life, show business, and the arts, and it does so in a highly entertaining manner. Despite recent efforts to gimmick it up with high-tech graphics in what has come to be known as the MTV style, plus an unfortunate new tendency to include commentary about rock musicians and rock music releases at the expense of stories about classical musicians (in a misguided effort to pander to the under-30 crowd) the show remains one of the best on television. It is most likely the only commercial network program that would have had the guts to broadcast the "Horowitz in Moscow" concert live.

The producers of this show should take pride in what they have accomplished over the last twenty-five years, instead of trying to be trendy and buying into targeting their audience. "Sunday Morning" does not need to apologize for appealing to a more intelligent segment of the television public, nor does it need dumbing down. Flautist Eugenia Zuckerman, who usually covers the program's classical stories, may be unable to still do this, but surely CBS could bring some other classical luminary as a regular correspondent and put more emphasis on classical music than they recently have.

Still, that is no reason to write this program off as unwatchable. On the contrary, it is highly watchable, and it is the ONLY commercial television program, aside from, perhaps, "60 Minutes", on which one can see and hear the work of some of the world's greatest artists. No one should miss it, even if they have to set their VCR's to catch it.

A Diverse Blend of News, Features, Arts and Nature

Author: hfan77 from St. Louis Park, MN
8 January 2013

I have watch CBS News Sunday Morning for many years and to me it's a diverse blend of news, features, the arts and nature. Since it's debut in 1979, two men have presided over the show in a low-key and comforting manner, Charles Kuralt and Charles Osgood. They keep the show moving and set the viewer up for the upcoming feature. There are also some moments when Osgood sings and plays the piano.

All of the elements resemble a Sunday newspaper's magazine section and offer the viewer something for everyone. There have also been commentaries from people over the years such as Jeff Greenfield, Ron Powers and Ben Stein.

One feature I enjoy is at the end of each episode when there is a nature scene. Usually running about a minute, there is no dialogue, just views of mountains, waterfalls or other outdoor scenery. It's one of the best uses of the visual aspect of TV.

Though Osgood recently tuned 80, Sunday Morning is a show that could go on for many years to come, even after he decides to retire. It's a timeless show that never gets stale and one of the few spots on network TV today that spotlights classical music since the demise of shows like Omnibus and The Bell Telephone Hour.

If you're looking for something to watch after sleeping late on a Sunday Morning, give the show a shot. from the opening trumpet theme to the closing nature scene, you will be informed and enlightened.

Looking forward to it all week

Author: pefrss from Las Vegas
16 March 2015

I am always looking forward to the CBS Sunday Morning show, especially in winter. In summer I have a little bit of a conflict because I usually go on a long bike ride on Sundays and I am not good at recording things. Most of the time I enjoy all the segments, even if the subject does not interest me first, they usually succeed to hold my interest. I am especially looking forward to segments about visual art, architecture and classical music. Something which you barely find in any other show. I could live without celebrity interviews if they are from the movie or pop music kind. There is enough of that on every single talk show. I nearly always follow up on the artists they feature and find out more about them . Great inspiring show.

Sunday Morning

Author: sclsl from United States
30 January 2008

We've been enjoying Sunday Morning since the late 70's. It's versatility of coverage (news, arts, commentary, humor, to mention a few) have been providing conversation to us two old time marrieds weekly.

Recently we saw a young violinist, Aaron Weinstein, perform at The Bickford in Morristown, NJ. Duly impressed with his talent, we bought one of his CD's, "Blue Too," produced by Arbors Records, Inc. (at the outrageous price of $20) and we would like to put Sunday Morning arts producers on notice to check out this talented young man.

Read the well said commentary on the back of the CD by Nat Hentoff, jazz critic.

If it's Sunday Morning, it's CBS Sunday Morning...

Author: justin-fencsak from United States
6 August 2017

A family tradition of mine since it first aired back in 1979, CBS Sunday Morning is 90 minutes of infotainment, combined with original reporting and amazing stories that are inspiring and fun to watch. It's also groundbreaking TV and worth watching live even with commercials on. The show is still the #1 show on Sunday mornings and its easy to see why...

Beautiful Human Stories...But Concerned!

Author: randcarlson-89358 from United States
18 December 2016

I've have enjoyed this program since its beginnings with Charles Kuralt, through Charles Osgood, and now with Jane Pauley. The recipe of this show with human interest stories, art, nature, and celebrities is the chemistry that has made this program so successful and a pleasure to bathe in every Sunday Morning.This show takes the viewer away from all the daily news grind we get beat up with all week long and takes you to a gentle, serene place where simple humanity touches your heart. With that being said, I am very concerned with 2 similar stories that have recently aired, both stories done by special contributor,Ted Koppel. In his piece done earlier in November, he polluted your incredible recipe, by introducing the ingredient of "POLITICAL CRAP." The story was about citizens in a coal mining town devastated by unemployment in the mining industry. In his piece 3 times he uttered the phrase, "Do you really think Donald trump will make a difference?" His focus went from the true human story to politicizing the story. The piece he did that aired this morning 12/18/16, once again, the ugliness of politics and fake news was the focus of his piece. Your staff correspondents and reporters over the years have been an incredible asset to the success of CBS Sunday Morning.They have a grace and a passion for bringing the human story front and center. Whomever is making the decision to air Ted Koppel and these political pieces is messing with success. Whereas Charles Kuralt and Charles Osgood mellowed with age like a fine wine, Ted Koppel brings a gruff sounding old voice and a subject matter of politics that we dread and look for escape from in viewing this show. His chemistry and background of infusing politics into the show do not mesh well with the incredible fabric of Sunday Morning. I would hope that CBS News would keep their political stories for Monday through Saturday programming and keep it completely out of Sunday Morning.

CBS Sunday Morning is one of the most interesting shows on TV

Author: shschaumburg from United States
20 August 2017

Every time I watch CBS "Sunday Morning" I learn something new that I research further after the show. Today I learned about small-town Casey, Illinois' large items like the world's largest rocking chair and the largest mailbox built to attract tourists. This segment makes me want to travel to Casey to see these creations. Then I watched another segment about the French artist Francois Gilot, who is known as the lover and artistic muse of Pablo Picasso from 1943 to 1953, and the mother of his children, Claude and Paloma. She later married the American vaccine pioneer Jonas Salk. This TV show is worth watching every Sunday morning. I wish there were more similar quality programs on TV.

Major decline

Author: Greg Kretz from United States
11 June 2017

Sunday Morning just is not what it used to be. It was special and unique, full of small town America human interest stories which were fun and heart warming. The change has been gradual and consistent. The politicization is obvious. From the sex and sexual preference of the journalists to out and out political posturing. It was nice to have one show which took a look at the positive things throughout our great country. We have enough political commentary. Can't we have this one show which features the good of America and Americans. Now it feels more about gay rights, women's lib and other political agendas. And the commentators are awful. This was a good and unique escape from the fantasy of fiction and the often sad reality of the News. Instead Sunday Morning was a positive depiction of reality and a celebration of the good things throughout our country. The whole tenor of the show has changed and digressed to the lower standards of the status quo of network TV. Please bring back the real Sunday Morning.

CBS Sunday MORNING

Author: shirleymain-90312 from Orange County, CA
30 April 2017

Dear CBS Sunday Morning I have been fortunate enough to watch Sunday morning since inception when it was possible to tape the shows that was great because it was on 6:30 a.m. in my area but I got up anyway i am writing because i love the show but the commentator makes the show too...Jane Pauley for some reason is not a good fit she is like a mannequin expressionless but watch the numbers changes when Lee Cowan takes over he is a natural this is my opinion thank you for letting me review I appreciate it Shirley Main

As you can tell I didn't use punctuation thank you.

Not Enough Afro-American Stories

Author: hiphopphotos from United States
1 June 2014

I've always jumped up or set my clock to watch CBS New Sunday Morning Show, but the more I watched the more I realized there are NOT enough Afro-American stories aired on the show. Today was kinda like the straw that broke the camel's back. My mother and I would watch the show together from separate homes and discuss the topics during commercials. Today-we phoned each other after watching the whole show simply to note to our amazement, NOT ONE discussion of the Late Great Mrs. Maya Angelo. Really-I'm done. That's it, I'll contact CBS directly on Monday, but for the CBS review-I had to advise my people or those who care. The producers must be crazy to think-Maya would NOT be missed today. :(