IMDb > Stuart Little (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Stuart Little

Stuart Little More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 18: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Adoption is treated inappropriately - parents beware!

Author: Flint-14 from Syracuse, NY
8 January 2000

I'll dispense with comments on the general qualities of the movie, since there are plenty of reviews that address these already. What I would like to address is the treatment of adoption in the movie.

Once again, the mindless of Hollywood treat adoption as a "not real" and impermanent institution. Adopted children who watch this movie may be uncomfortable with the treatment of this issue.

For those who haven't seen it, below is a spoiler about an early plot device.

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

Stuart Little is a mouse adopted by human parents. At one point, two mice purporting to be his "real parents" (read: biological) show up on the doorstep. His adoptive parents, thinking of his "best interest" just hand Stuart over to these two strangers, despite his protests. What kind of message does this send to adopted children? That their parents are just temporary custodians until the "real deal" shows up to snatch them away? That the best thing for children is to be with their biological families? Is that really a message that reflects the REALITY of adoption?

The creators of Stuart Little dropped the ball big time with this issue. When will Hollywood get it right?

Fantastic show, but is it for all age groups?

Author: Nolan Price from Shawnee, OK
8 January 2000

Fantastic show! Geena Davis did a great job of acting and the computer work was the best ever! My only problem with this movie was the use on several ocassions of two foul words that could have been left out and this movie made many 6-7 year old boys and girls cry during the major plot of the movie. My boy cried and he is not the sentimental type. Personally I suggest parents to think about this situation when taking younger children to see this family show.

fun movie for kids

Author: Elizabeth Anne Nolan, MD, PhD (eanmdphd@eanmdphd.com) from Coronado, CA
7 January 2000

A fun movie for kids, with some real adult laughs.

I would have liked more of the out-takes played during the credits incorporated as part of the story, ie, more of the fun interactions between Stuart and George, rather than the "cats chase mouse" scenes through Central Park, etc.

Both Cute and Fun

Author: gummy-3 from Portland, OR
4 January 2000

The animation work in this deserves an academy award. Stewart is about as lifelike as one could possibly hope for, and he's wonderful.

Michael J. Fox does the voice of Stewart, and Nathan Lane is simiply wonderful as the voice of Snowbell (Stewart's pet cat).

The film is hammy and pretty predictable, and is still great. Fun for kids from 1 to 92.

A sweet, wonderful movie!

Author: Anya-fan
4 January 2000

One of the most wonderful things is going to a movie and finding it much better than you expected! This was the case with Stuart Little.

I went to see Stuart Little, expecting an average, childish movie, with some of the usual too-adult humor typical of many children's movies these day. I was very pleasantly surprised! Stuart Little was sweet, funny while staying clean, with an interesting plot. The acting was spectacular, and Michael J. Fox's voice was perfect for the part of Stuart.

My entire family enjoyed it - the afternoon was a very rewarding experience. Everyone should see this movie, especially if you liked "Babe".

Great movie, but it was short

Author: June from Connecticut
3 January 2000

This is a great movie, but I thought it was too short. But anyways, I still think you should go see it because Stuart is really cute! I think it's a very hilarious movie, but some parts are of it are sad and depressing. I hope that they make another movie about Stuart Little.

Film keeps the magic of the books

Author: Clifford J. Goodman, Jr., M.D. from Chandler Arizona
3 January 2000

My wife or I read for an hour every evening with each of our six kids, until they were twelve or so. Stuart Little was one of the characters we got to know and love. We found this film charming and entertaining, and were impressed that its creators were able to preserve the basic premise of the books: People seem to easily accept, and sometimes even overlook, the fact that Stuart is a mouse who talks and wears clothing.

We found the character development good (one rarely sees three dimensional personalities in this genre) and the "human" performers quite credible. Gena Davis, in particular, seemed to be enjoying herself. We are past being impressed by special effects, but there was a reasonable story to carry the film. Recommended for children four to eighty-four.

I liked the film...funny, cute and so close to a 'G' flick!

Author: cameronj from massachusetts
1 January 2000

I did enjoy this movie because it was a good story with lots of humor. I loved Stuart's animation, nearly as good as the toy story work. The cats were very funny, especially Stephen Zahn's voice work (Im guessing he'll get lots more now).

I was disappointed in two things: a) why the swears? There's only two , both done by Nathan Lane's character, but why? It could have easily been a G without those D**ms. Not a big issue, but they weren't needed and 2) the story has nothing from the book. It's totally different. Only one scene is even remotely close to the book. Despite being so vastly different, it's still a good story with some funny characters.

Great Funny Movie!

Author: Mark Panitz (mrpanitz@yahoo.com) from Los Angeles
1 January 2000

I loved this film and I'm also a cat lover as well it was an adobale film, and the voices for stuart was perfect -of course it was Micheal J fox who has also been the voice in another wonderfull movie as well Homewood Bound I and 2 [in that movie he (or his voice) was the dog named Chance stuart little was a wonderful movie -some good laughs but I'm also glad the cats really didnt get hurt wet yes, hurt no.

Very predictable

Author: Bennie Rothmann (bennie.rothmann@ast.co.za) from South Africa, Newcastle
28 December 1999

This movie is sooo predictable. There are two basic plot lines: The adoption of Stuart (and fitting into the Little family) and the cat's plans to get him out of the family. The visual effects were good - maybe a bit too "clinical". But sorry, it did not make the movie any greater success.

If you want to watch a good, clean movie with your kids, this is the one.