IMDb > Stuart Little (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Stuart Little

Stuart Little More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 18: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Author: DanielHong.org (daniel@danielhong.org) from boston
12 March 2000

Having a mouse as a little brother? Gee, I wish I had one like the little Stuart because I wouldn't mind having the monkey from Citizen X. But in this movie, it is a huge risk for the mouse and human. As mush human qualities the little Stuart has, it is a greater disadvantage for him because people can't accept the mouse as one of their being. It is like rich snob have hard time to make friends with people in low class. So the differnces can make you become very emotional. But this difference won't be long because the efforts each characters bring to the story. Very funny thing is that little Stuart can communicate with human and Cats. The cats can communicate with little Stuart. Then can Cats communicate with human? It is like A=B, B=C, then C=A? I had to think about this equation during the movie.

Adorable

Author: Smiley-19 from jakarta
12 February 2000

I love this movie. It's so entertaining. And I love that cute little mouse. I found myself saying "aaahhhh..." most of the time, watching the scenes. All the actors were great: Geena Davis, Hugh Laurie, Jonathan Lipnicki, and of course, Michael J. Fox. Only lending his voice but still, he added the life of this movie. And of course...the cats!!!

Mice can be Men too...

Author: Japong from Philippines
11 February 2000

Stuart Little is so human-like that you'd think he's a young boy trapped in a mouse's body. Even during the first time Mr. and Mrs. Little meet him you'd think they were talking to just another "one of the boys".

The vocal characterizations and animations of the animals here are very good, even better than the "talking pig" films ('Gordy' and the 2 'Babes'...) You could say they developed MORE characters using LESS species. Definitely recommended family entertainment...

Nice frame...lousy picture.

Author: XFile from Liverpool, NY
30 January 2000

If not for the overwhelmingly great special effects (undoubtedly the best put forth in a film of this genre to date) this movie would have died a quick death. The best actors in this flick were the ones you never see ie. the "voices". MJ Fox, Nathan Lane, Chaz Palminteri, Bruno Kirby...ALL did a great job. The ones you DO get see are...well....lame. The Littles were the most unbelievable couple ever. I know this was a fantasy and all that but they could have at least acknowledge Stuart was a mouse from the get-go. Too weird for me. The kids didn't seem to impressed either. When the kids stop talking about the movie before we get 50 yards from the theater I know it was a real tanker. We should have waited for the video. We could NOT buy that just as easily as we could have skipped this lame-o flick.

Stuart Huge!

Author: Will Lau from Canada
26 January 2000

This is the first kids movie that I've seen since I was a kid so I didn't have big expectations for it but it was surprisingly good. I thought it was gonna be another Baby Genius type of movie but it had a good plot and some cool cats. A lot of things are far fetched but when you're a kid I guess ignorance is bliss so that can be overlooked. It was interesting to have Geena Davis in it. She's been out of the spotlight lately and this is not the way to get back in to it but she was pretty good in this. This was just a solid, entertaining movie, sure shows Van Damme a thing or two.

My son and I

Author: (rsavard@shasta.com) from Redding, Ca.
21 January 2000

For what ever reason, I did go to this movie with my son that I would not have gone to on any other day. As the first scene started, I saw my son sitting there smiling with a soda in one hand and popcorn in the other. Watching him enjoy himself put me in the mood to relax and enjoy the movie. I did. Thats when the magic started.

Stuart Little was, for a lack of words, wonderful! My son and myself laughed and cried together. The special effects had to be the best ever to date. That little mouse was not an "effect" he was REAL!

The story about family was deep and heart felt. Never take your family for granted. Both my son and myself left hand in hand.

Excellent movie

Author: kenokyds from Banning, Ca
21 January 2000

I would like to see more of these types of movies shown. It is always nice for a movie to be shown that children are able to view. As an adult, I found the movie clean, very entertaining and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Another Great Family Movie

Author: bill_b4 from Red Springs, North Carolina, USA
15 January 2000

What a good year for family movies! The Iron Giant, Toy Story 2, and now Stuart Little. It's great to be able to safely take your children to the movie theater and see an entertaining, positive movie. I must admit, I was a little skeptical at first because I am not a Michael J. Fox fan (he is the voice for Stuart the mouse). But an interesting plot, solid acting, believable action sequences coupled with fantastic special effects make this a movie we will have to own when it comes out on video. But don't miss it on the big screen! Your kids will appreciate it!

It's not "Stuart Little"

Author: roxy-13 from San Diego
13 January 2000

OPEN LETTER TO HOLLYWOOD

Dear Hollywood: A children's story is a children's story. A movie is a movie. Never, it seems, shall the twain meet.

Case in point: "Stuart Little," a simply delightful fantasy originally written by E. B. White, author of "Charlotte's Web." The film you have recently released tells a totally different story, one that is much more pedestrian and much less magical.

Fantasy, I have noticed, is not something Hollywood does well unless it is of the futuristic "Star Wars" type, and I submit that even the quality of that is in question. Fantasy and science fiction are not synonymous.

Fantasy requires that you trust your audience's willingness to suspend disbelief and go along with it. Trying to push fantasy around to make it sound plausible strips it of its charm and makes it into something else entirely.

What, to get specific, is the point in changing Stuart from a natural son to an orphan? Okay, women do not as a matter of course give birth to mice. But neither do they adopt rodents as sons.

The original Stuart is quite an enterprising little mouse who goes out and has his own adventures. Your Stuart is a poor-me substitute who just wants to be loved, and ends up inspiring more pity than admiration.

You have added characters not in the story---notably the three evil alley cats---who, I admit, are far and away the most interesting characters in the film, but who do not come from the story.

The Littles themselves, in fact, are so different as to be nearly unrecognizable. Your Mr. and Mrs. Little (Geena Davis, Hugh Laurie) are cloying and cutesy enough to set my teeth on edge. The originals are just plain old parents, and in fact are rather minor characters at that.

I will grant that the film has some wonderful animation---Stuart and the cats are particularly wonderful. And those alley cats (voiced by Nathan Lane, Chazz Palminteri, and Steve Zahn) have all the best lines.

The film is nice enough, as nice goes. But it isn't "Stuart Little." I would hate to know that this was any child's first encounter with Stuart.

How about calling it "There's a Mouse in My Bed?"

Sincerely, A Stuart Little fan

Cute/Funny/Sweet/BUT...........

Author: William D. Courter from Greensboro, NC
12 January 2000

Key Words: Cute / Funny / Sweet / But....

Hollywood thinks we would not go to see "G" movies (too "goodie, goodie") so they have to throw in some profanity, a bit of skin, or something to "earn" a PG rating. Too bad - for many parents want a "G" movie for their children with none of those things. This movie has a few unnecessary curse words and thus was granted its "PG" rating. Does Hollywood realize that as a "PG" hardly any schools in the USA will be permitted to show the movie to their classes????

CAUTION: The subject of adoption is mishandled! Your small adopted child will likely worry about two things after the movie:

(1) Your adopted parents only keep you until your "real" parents come along and want to take you away - and you must go even if you do not want to leave your adopted parents.

(2) Adoptions of children who are "different" (race, size, specie, etc.) causes problems and may not work out (as told by the adoption lady to the family) - although there is a happy ending.

The fantastic book by E.B.White does not deal with adoption - Stuart is just a regular member of his human family, regardless of the fact that he looks like (is ?) a mouse, which makes for a better fairy tale.

The CATS: The cats make for the best part of this movie. We cat lovers know how each cat is an individual with some sort of attitude or other. The best lines and the biggest laughs were reserved for the cats - as it should be!

SO: Take the kids. Enjoy the tale. And talk about what it all means with them after the movie.