IMDb > Stuart Little (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Stuart Little

Stuart Little More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 19: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

A great Kid's movie

Author: justvoodo (justvoodo@aol.com)
1 June 2000

This is great movie for kids to watch, it teaches them that the differences between people are not important, and that it truly is what's inside that counts. It is hard in this day and age to find movies for kids that have morals,like this movie does and still have comedy to keep the kids entertained.

Not Quite

Author: Signet from Baltimore
1 June 2000

What a disappointment. Despite the amazing computer animation, the film falls flat. Too scary for tots, too silly for adults. it doesn't seem to be aimed at any audience. If Nathan Lane (the cat) eats Michael J. Fox (the mouse), maybe they'll have an interesting sequel.

A Little creepy

Author: Charles Thomas Tatum, Jr. (movieslave@hotmail.com) from Minot, ND, USA
10 May 2000

First of all, I laughed a lot during this movie. The portrayal of the cats is dead on, and this comes from a multiple cat owner. The special effects are fun, but all the human cast (especially the extended Little family), were terribly wasted. I did think there was an underlying feeling of creepiness that the film could not shake. The fantasy world the Littles lived in was not whimsical, it was frightening. I give this a 7.

for undiscriminating toddlers

Author: daha from Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
8 May 2000

My almost-three year old loves this movie and watches it repeatedly. After all, there's a cuddly mouse doing people things, there's cats, and about half the movie consists of chases of one sort or another.

There's also a lot of seamless and convincing animation (except for the "talking" mouths on the cats, which looks goofy).

Any fans of E.B. White's book Stuart Little will be wise to avoid the movie, as they have nothing in common except the existence of a mouse-sized boy. It's as if the Hollywood folks made the movie first, and then decided to put a famous name on it, without any care as to the actual words in the book. It's too bad.

The movie's plot is mostly fine for kids, who haven't learned to watch critically yet or expect self-consistency, coherence, or variation from standard hackneyed scenes and themes. Adults will find fuzzy wuzzy cuteness, mainly, and be massively unsurprised by any of the plot "twists".

If you must view it, Rent - don't buy it. If you have an almost-three year old, be especially careful not to buy it, or you will be forcibly exposed to it time and again. At least rentals have a due date and an excuse to return the tape to the store.

Light Fare for a relaxing Saturday Evening!

Author: Ronald A. Geiken (rgeiken@home.com) from Phoenix, Arizona
7 May 2000

Was not sure if I would enjoy it, but it played out really well. The animation was excellent. The premise for the movie might be a little far out for some people but it's just light entertainment and if that's not your "cup of tea", just rent something else. I for one enjoyed the 80 + minutes of this film, and I'm over 60. If you have kids and they haven't seen it, rent it and enjoy it together. Some of the scenes might scare the "wee" children, but the "were family" message is upbeat!

Cute mouse, so very cliched plot

Author: willow-46 from New Zealand
5 May 2000

The only reason that I saw this movie is that the mouse is very cute. But the voice is awful. Why didn't they use a child's voice instead of Micheal J. Fox's? The tiny creature talks deeper than the kid in the family. There was nothing very special, it's much like an old children's movie renewed with a mouse added to it. The boat race was the only bit interesting, but others...did not live up to my expectations. Looks like the 12 year old beside me didn't like it too much ,neither. Ah well, may be it's just because I'm too old for the kiddie's stuff.

Disappointed

Author: imdb-319
29 April 2000

I went to see this film with my wife, because we were attracted by a cute little mouse, but we were disappointed. The film was mainly about family drama, the boy disliked his new brother Stuart, the cat disliked Stuart, Stuart didn't like his new parents and wanted back to his own parents. The plot was very poor and foreseeable (e.g. only after winning a sailboat race suddenly the family was friends.) The animation of the mouse's face was bad. It could smile only (sorry, my English is too bad for this.) We disliked or even didn't notice the all too subtle humor. We expected a mouse to bring life in a boring family. But instead, the mouse was depressive itself most of the time.

This film was a sad experience and a story about how desperate family life can be.

A credit to live film animation

Author: Callysta-2 from Sydney, Australia
23 April 2000

Considering myself too grown up to face the terrifying throes of cartoon animation at age fourteen, I found myself mortified and aghast at the possibility of being reminded of the painful movie excursion to see "Pokemon" so soon, even if the little critter looked cute in the preview trailer.

Later I was reminded by the meaning of unwanted neck pains as a result of choosing a deliberately badly positioned seat in the theatre in order to see as little of the picture as possible.

Michael J. Fox performs a beautiful voice over characterisation of the witty, amusing Stuart, as does Nathan Lane as the non-scary cat villain, Snowbell. The best thing about the actual actors is that they are at least doing their best not to be obvious as second features of interest, and aren't too bad in the process. After all, it is hard to blame Stuart for stealing his own show.

One of the most interesting non-screen elements I found interesting was the fact that M. Night Shyamalan was the author of the amusing and well written screenplay. Having the writer and directorial credit of "The Sixth Sense" to your name is definitely not too shabby. Although relatively a new comer to mainstream film production, his ability to pen appropriate writings in two far differed genres is evident and I hope he returns to write a sequel to the film should one be produced. However, I did learn some all important lessons:

1. Never conclude anything about a film until AFTER seeing it. Unfortunately, I will never be able to have the same optimism for Pokemon.

2. Not a good idea to view "Stuart" with those less than ambitious about mice, in particular those with fears ranging from high to major phobia category. The idea of family bondage with rodents, in particular those with the ability to speak has turned some unsuspecting people I know off anything with mild animation forever.

3. Siamese cats are a good complement with pet mice because their daily activities consist solely of dining in style and mass exposure to nature's warm elements.

4. Children will always mostly love animation, good or bad. At least this is a more than pleasant example.

5. Hollywood can still make a good film without computerising the whole thing entirely.

6. No one has to die, be injured or violently advanced upon to produce good, subtle special effects.

Despite all skepticism, it is difficult to resist the irresistible, ageless appeal of any film featuring a form of animation. Not everyone is going to be thirsty for this particular cup of tea, but it has a sort of undeniable aroma about it anyway.

Perhaps if we wait another sixty years, Stuart Little, mouse extraordinaire, may achieve fame and lasting legacy as great as that of Mickey Mouse.

Rating: 9/10

Adults can get something out of this film too...

Author: pinchadiscos from Vancouver, Canada
21 April 2000

I saw Stuart Little a few months ago with my little brother... and he absolutely loved it. Me? Yeah i like it! I am 17-year-old guy, and I actually get into a film like this... the animation is excellent, and i enjoyed the whole movie!

The predictable plot (im not blaming it since it's a children's film) is very nicely done... i didn't get bored at all! It's very cute and sweet, and the humour in the film is very good too... and the whole idea of 'family' is being presented very well!!!

There are a few problems - the story got a little lame during the middle of the film, and the sound of the mouse is just not right somehow (i have the same feeling towards Winnie the Pooh... the sound is just too low for a cute character like that) but generally it is very well done... Trust me, adults can get something out of this film as well. Get the video when it comes out! :)

Rating: 7/10

Great Movie...

Author: Gregory Johnson (exitout43@webtv.net) from Dayton, Ohio
20 April 2000

Great movie to be enjoyed by all members of your family..it has character and meaning and fun all rolled up in one cute film. Michael J. Fox is..."Stuart Little" see this movie with your cute button turned on.