IMDb > Stuart Little (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Stuart Little

Stuart Little More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 18: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Very sweet, although not up to Classic Disney standards.

Author: pharalinga from Oregon, USA
4 June 2000

Columbia / TriStar are going to have to go some to create childrens / Family theater. The language keeps my four and five year olds from seeing this. Too bad. It was a cute little film and a bit too young for children ten and older. The cast was very good and worked well together. Fox and Lane are always a treat.

Grade B

my thoughts on stuart little

Author: DAVID SMITH (CUBWOLF) from Leicester, England
3 June 2000

What a great movie!Myself and my 4 kids have watched it again and again.Magical is the word i would use to describe this film.The whole feel of the movie is fairytale like and even though you get to see the trickery at the end of the film(on dvd anyway)you still cant help thinking that stuart is real.

Not Quite

Author: Signet from Baltimore
1 June 2000

What a disappointment. Despite the amazing computer animation, the film falls flat. Too scary for tots, too silly for adults. it doesn't seem to be aimed at any audience. If Nathan Lane (the cat) eats Michael J. Fox (the mouse), maybe they'll have an interesting sequel.

A great Kid's movie

Author: justvoodo (justvoodo@aol.com)
1 June 2000

This is great movie for kids to watch, it teaches them that the differences between people are not important, and that it truly is what's inside that counts. It is hard in this day and age to find movies for kids that have morals,like this movie does and still have comedy to keep the kids entertained.

A Little creepy

Author: Charles Thomas Tatum, Jr. (movieslave@hotmail.com) from Minot, ND, USA
10 May 2000

First of all, I laughed a lot during this movie. The portrayal of the cats is dead on, and this comes from a multiple cat owner. The special effects are fun, but all the human cast (especially the extended Little family), were terribly wasted. I did think there was an underlying feeling of creepiness that the film could not shake. The fantasy world the Littles lived in was not whimsical, it was frightening. I give this a 7.

for undiscriminating toddlers

Author: daha from Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
8 May 2000

My almost-three year old loves this movie and watches it repeatedly. After all, there's a cuddly mouse doing people things, there's cats, and about half the movie consists of chases of one sort or another.

There's also a lot of seamless and convincing animation (except for the "talking" mouths on the cats, which looks goofy).

Any fans of E.B. White's book Stuart Little will be wise to avoid the movie, as they have nothing in common except the existence of a mouse-sized boy. It's as if the Hollywood folks made the movie first, and then decided to put a famous name on it, without any care as to the actual words in the book. It's too bad.

The movie's plot is mostly fine for kids, who haven't learned to watch critically yet or expect self-consistency, coherence, or variation from standard hackneyed scenes and themes. Adults will find fuzzy wuzzy cuteness, mainly, and be massively unsurprised by any of the plot "twists".

If you must view it, Rent - don't buy it. If you have an almost-three year old, be especially careful not to buy it, or you will be forcibly exposed to it time and again. At least rentals have a due date and an excuse to return the tape to the store.

Light Fare for a relaxing Saturday Evening!

Author: Ronald A. Geiken (rgeiken@home.com) from Phoenix, Arizona
7 May 2000

Was not sure if I would enjoy it, but it played out really well. The animation was excellent. The premise for the movie might be a little far out for some people but it's just light entertainment and if that's not your "cup of tea", just rent something else. I for one enjoyed the 80 + minutes of this film, and I'm over 60. If you have kids and they haven't seen it, rent it and enjoy it together. Some of the scenes might scare the "wee" children, but the "were family" message is upbeat!

Cute mouse, so very cliched plot

Author: willow-46 from New Zealand
5 May 2000

The only reason that I saw this movie is that the mouse is very cute. But the voice is awful. Why didn't they use a child's voice instead of Micheal J. Fox's? The tiny creature talks deeper than the kid in the family. There was nothing very special, it's much like an old children's movie renewed with a mouse added to it. The boat race was the only bit interesting, but others...did not live up to my expectations. Looks like the 12 year old beside me didn't like it too much ,neither. Ah well, may be it's just because I'm too old for the kiddie's stuff.

Disappointed

Author: imdb-319
29 April 2000

I went to see this film with my wife, because we were attracted by a cute little mouse, but we were disappointed. The film was mainly about family drama, the boy disliked his new brother Stuart, the cat disliked Stuart, Stuart didn't like his new parents and wanted back to his own parents. The plot was very poor and foreseeable (e.g. only after winning a sailboat race suddenly the family was friends.) The animation of the mouse's face was bad. It could smile only (sorry, my English is too bad for this.) We disliked or even didn't notice the all too subtle humor. We expected a mouse to bring life in a boring family. But instead, the mouse was depressive itself most of the time.

This film was a sad experience and a story about how desperate family life can be.

So cute I wanted to barf (slight spoiler)

Author: paulo20 from NYC
26 April 2000

I was never interested in seeing this movie, but my brother happened to rent it based on someone's recommendation so I figured, what the hey, at least I'm not paying for it. That's one of the few saving graces of my watching this film. It was worse than even I expected and I tried very hard to watch this with an open mind. First of all, the sappy dialogue: I just could not believe the dead seriousness in which it was delivered or the sugary violins surging in the background. My brother forwarded liberally through parts like these (and there are a lot of them) and instead of objecting, as I would usually do, I secretly thanked him. One might think you can't judge a film if you miss parts of it but I just couldn't bear watching scenes like this. The scenes between the father (played by Hugh Laurie) and the son (played by an inanimate wooden puppet...I mean that kid from Jerry McGuire) were the worst. I half-expected someone to say `Where's the Beav?'. My dark fantasy for this movie was to have Rowan Atkinson playing his character from Black Adder enter the movie and rip Hugh Laurie to shreds. Then there's Stuart himself. He seemed to me more cutesy than cute (i.e. the filmmakers were practically banging me over the head with his cuteness).

Anyway, back to the movie itself. The one other saving grace of this movie, may have been the cats who managed to elicit a few chuckles (though not hearty guffaws). Plus I just like cats, even though in SL they were portrayed as toned-down gangsters (villains, again while the mice, which in reality spread filth and disease and leave little turds all over the foodstuffs, are the good guys - oh well, at least one of the cats redeemed himself) and had that silly computer animation messing up their faces. The little fat mouse (voiced by Bruno Kirby who sounds an awful lot like Joe Pesci) was somewhat amusing as well. Oh yeah, the effects were OK, too.

Other than that, this movie eats. To use the cat Snowbell's words `Excuse me while I cough up a hairball.' I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade but I just found this an insipid, cloying mess. I just couldn't get into it at all. I know this was made as a family film and, thus, was probably not made with someone like me in mind. But considering that the Toy Story movies were also family films and that I absolutely loved those, what really is Stuart Little's excuse?