IMDb > Stuart Little (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Stuart Little

Stuart Little More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 18: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

George gets a new brother, Stuart, the mouse

Author: iprudd from Tonbridge, Kent
8 April 2001

The Littles are the typical American, apple pie family until the day that they go to the orphanage to adopt a brother for their son George and come home with one, Stuart, a mouse. This sets-up the story. Stuart is hated by the cat of the house, Snowbell and is not too popular with George.

All comes together after George and Stuart "bond" when they build a yacht together for the local model yacht race in the park. Stuart has to pilot the yacht after the remote gets broken. George beats the school bully and he and Stuart become firm friends. The cat, however, has other plans and plots Stuarts downfall which leads to the hillarious finale, can Stuart find his way back to the "Little House". The parts are played to perfection. Fox and Lane breath real life into their animated parts. Laurie, Davis and Lipnicki aren't bad either. The kids will love it, prepare to shed the odd tear

Special Effects squeeze out story

Author: kickstand from Somewhere in New England
1 January 2001

I'm sorry, but I don't get this movie. Yes, the effects were highly

polished and professional, but plotwise this film was senseless.

At first it seems like a satire on "politically correct" people who

would pretend not to notice that your adopted child is of a different

race ... or species. However, it quickly becomes apparent that the

film has no such pretensions, that it really is just a dumb,

predictable story about ... about how a family comes to accept a

highly intelligent rodent as part of the family. Huh? Lucky for the

mouse that his "brother" just happens to build miniature models of

boats and cars ... that actually work.

A real disappointment

Author: rcappin123 (rcappin123@mailandnews.com) from London, England
20 December 2000

Stuart Little had the capacity to be a really good family film but it seemed to miss the mark.

It is true that the idea of a talking mouse being adopted by a family and the rest of the world accepting the fact that it is possible to do so is a little far fetched in itself but when the film moves on, it also moves further away from the reaches of reality.

For example, Stuart (the mouse) is given a remote control car (which is just the right size for him to fit in) which he then drives around. There is one major problem with this; you can't drive a remote control car from inside it. The director might have come up with the idea to put the remote control in the car, maybe making the car in a convertible to allow it to fit but instead Stuart drove the battery powered car (with the sounds of a petrol engine) all around Central Park. On the same idea of the car, one possibility of added comedy would have been Stuart learning to drive and maybe crashing into household objects in the process (one assumes that a mouse just taken out of an orphanage with no recollection of his parents doesn't have a driving license).

Stuart Little was never going to be a major blockbuster but it could have been a great deal better. However, there were some good points such as the amusing voice of Michael J. Fox as Stuart and the exciting scene in Central Park (especially for children).

You might want to see Stuart Little as a family film or more likely a children's film but if you have the time, look for something a little more entertaining and finely polished.

Very cool, Family Movie!

Author: Mark Pytel (dvdmrp@aol.com) from Hoffman Estates, Illinois, USA
20 December 2000

Well, I will admit that at first I didn't want to see it. I thought, Why would I want to watch a family movie? Well I am glad I did, because I really enjoyed this movie. The alley cats were really funny. Michael J. Fox really fit the role of Stuart Little. He is a really good actor and I am sad of his case of Parkinson's. I only wish the best for him. His show Spin City was (and still is) hilarious. But to get back to the movie. I really think that anyone of any age should see this movie. It has many scenes that really warm your heart! I really suggest that you all go out and see it. I don't think that you will be disappointed. 10/10

Who is the target audience?

Author: wharper-2 from Tuscaloosa, AL
1 October 2000

Not appropriate for our two-year-old. She doesn't yet, if ever, need to learn to say "Talk to the butt", "What the hell . . .", etc. Perhaps the film is targeted at a more sophisticated, eight-year-old audience that would snicker heartily at such witticisms. Ok, they're _alley_ cats talking, but this is a childrens' movie. Alley cat language aside, this is a slow, mildly entertaining film. I share the puzzlement of another reviewer in that we are given a squeaky-clean Leave-It-to-Beaver family that lives in cliff-hanger world of lethal washing machines, deadly serious gangster cats, spoiled children who cheat by racing armored model sailboats, and adult racing judges who apparently let them. Stuart Little the mouse is endearing. He is very obviously _intended_ to be endearing, but with Michael J. Fox's voice the cutesy-mouse thing works very well. Snowbell, the family cat, is voiced ably by Nathan Lane. He can be menacing inside the house, while believably shrinking into a coward when out in world dealing with alley cats. There is not much here for adults. Too much raunch for kids. Older kids may like the cats, but they will be disappointed that Stuart isn't killed.

Suspension of disbelief was working overtime here

Author: jack-260 from Honolulu, Hawaii
16 September 2000

No explanation of how or why mice speak...not only with humans, but also with cats! There's no evidence that cats & humans communicate although it's obvious that cats understand human speech. Jennifer Tilly is my favorite actress...it's weird, but her character manages to look (move, dress) just like her. I expect that in Stuart Little 2, the Little family will be moving out to Nebraska so that they can take advantage of living in the Little house on the prairie.

I'm a little (no pun intended) surprised that I enjoyed this film and I do recommend it. Rating? A solid 8-of-10.

Fantastic effects but that's about it!

Author: King_Opossum from somewhere much higher than you...
22 August 2000

A common problem lies with all big-budget movies that feature 'break-through' special effects. Sometimes these effects are so good, that once the viewer has accepted them as real, they don't seem as impressive. A great example of this is THE LOST WORLD - dinos had been done, we believed them to be real characters, so we naturally start looking at other, more traditional aspects of film - and they were not so good. STUART LITTLE suffers the same fate. The big cheese is realistic fur, and the mouse is superb throughout, however look past the amazing work they have done, and this is simply a rehashed film from 100s made in the past.

The cast work well together - I would question the likelihood of Laurie and Davis ever marrying, but I suppose that in a world where talking mice are the norm, anything could happen! Michael J Fox is excellently cast as Stuart (although wouldn't a younger voice be more endearing for the kids?). My only real complaint was the cats - although hilariously voiced, the CG-cats were sometimes embarrassingly plastic. But all in all, the 300 children sitting around me loved every minute, so who am I to moan???

nice

Author: sfagurilla from lincolnshire, england
10 August 2000

stuart little is the loveliest film ever. he walks and talks and drives a car and brushes his teeth and smiles and everything!! i love stuart little the lovely mouse. i am looking to adopt one similar. the closest so far has been a hamster squirrel, which does brush it's teeth, but doesn't talk yet.

A charming film

Author: Soledad-2 from Miami, Florida
8 August 2000

I watched Stuart Little last night and I have been all day recommending this film to all my friends. This movie is full of charm and no matter how old you are, you'll be very happy to watch this tale of family love. As my fourteen years old daughter told me last night "mom, I cannot believe you're still a child!". Well, thanks to Stuart Little all of us will be able to discover the child inside us. Don't wait any longer. Rent it now!

Cute

Author: James L. from Somewhere in New Jersey
7 August 2000

The basic plot: A white mouse is by a little New York family, and soon he becomes part of the family.However, the jealous family cat goes into an elaborate attempt to rub Stuart out.

The praise:Cute,cozy, breif, amusing, and charming, it has solid human performances by Geena Davis, Hugh Laurie, and Jonathan Lipnicki, it also has expressive voice talent by Nathan Lane and Micheal J. Fox. The special effects of Stuart Little are astounding, and the film has a bright,clean-cut, traditional-modern-domestic look that makes a strong point of spare,stylish art direction. It has some pretty funny moments too. A family film.

Note to book lovers: It and the classic novel are same in name only, except that they both have a boat race of some sort and a cat. The movie seems to be the best adaption of a White work. "Charlottes Web" was only moderate, and the upcoming direct to video "Trumpet of the swan" doesn't look that good.