IMDb > Stuart Little (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Stuart Little

Stuart Little More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 18: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Sweet Family Film

Author: jvfunn1 from Zephyrhills FL
6 June 2009

I went to see Stuart Little when it came out in 1999 and I absolutely loved it! In the movie Fredrick and Eleanor Little (Hugh Laurie and Geena Davis) adopt a mouse named Stuart(voiced by Michael J. Fox) as a brother for their son George(Jonathan Lipniki) who at first doesn't like Stuart Little until he learns he can be a big help with such things as building boats and winning boat races! But Snowbell the cat (voiced by Nathan Lane who I think did a good job as the voice of Snowbell just like he did Timon in The Lion King) is jealous of Stuart and wants to get rid of him but also later learns that Stuart isn't such a bad mouse either! My two favorite scenes are when Monty (voiced by Steve Zhan) says a mouse with a pet cat? And he rolls over with laugher That scene was just hilarious! I also liked it when Snowbell told the other cats that Stuart was apart of the family and the cats start laughing but Stuart manages to tell them that you don't have to look alike, act alike or like each other to be apart of the same family as Snowbell didn't like Stuart but still saved Stuart's life! Good message Stuart! Filled with wonderful characters, story, and setting Stuart Little is in my opinion one of the best family films since The Lion King. My mom and my Aunt Joyce didn't like it but I loved it! True family movie that the whole movie can enjoy! 10 out of 10!

Mustard on a chocolate cake

Author: nick220997 from Southampton
24 May 2009

Basically this is about a couple who want to adopt a second child. At the adoption agency they meet a mouse (Stuart) and they decide to adopt him. If you think that this is stupid, hold it, because it's getting worse.

Stuart arrives to his new home, where he is treated like a human child. (Spare me!) The rest is pretty much the usual cliché, about family problems, jealousy from the elder "brother", and at the end all issues are resolved and they are all a "happy family". Boring and worn out as this is, it is also shown in the most blunt and unsophisticated way.

I don't know if the director believed that he was being creative by introducing a mouse to the cliché, or he was just trying to fill in minutes, but he only upgraded the cliché from boring to abhorrent.

Then why I gave a 3 and not a ZERO? Because of the family cat, who loves Stuart as much as the "brother". And because of some funny gigs, where Stuart makes good use of his small size.

On the overall I believe that the film would work reasonably well if: a. Stuart was a PET and not a "sibling". b. It had kept to the funny gigs, like Stuart trying to outwit the cat, and had left out boring clichés which don't even match with anything else.

For every big kid and little ones too

Author: Andy Croft from Australia
25 March 2009

I have watch this movie for the third time. This last time with my 21 month old son. I am not sure who enjoyed it the most. Stuart Little is what I class as a Saturday afternoon movie. Its great easy going fun. I love the story. I love the voices and the human characters. I didn't realize it was Michael J Fox until I looked at IDMB. He plays a great little mouse. I have to give this movie top marks because it is a good all rounder for all ages to a really nice sense of fun. I wonder who the writers were writing for adults or kids because there is 40 years difference between me and my father and 40 years between me and my son and we all loved this movie. How many movies can span the many generations and equally please them all ?

Stuart Little made a big impact on my family.

Excellent Family Comedy with many famous talents...

Author: beccad90 from United States
5 November 2006

Stuart Little is a comedy perfect for the entire family with may great talents.

There are many familiar faces, such as Geena Davis, Hugh Laurie, known for playing Sarcastic Gregory House of House, MD., Johnathen Lipniki of The Littlest Vampire, SNL's Julia Sweeny, and a cameo of Golden Girls' Estelle Getty (She Played Sophia).

There are also many great voices, such as Michael J. Fox (Currently associated in a controversy of his Parkinson's disease ad)as the "little" hero, Stuart, Nathan Lane and Vincent Pastore as a particularly menacing cat named Smoky.

The CGI effects are stunning. Stuart looks very life-like and so do the cats, who are pretty much the real thing.

The film is based upon the book by E.B. White, best known for his book-turned-film, Charolette's Web (Look for the Live action film in theaters December).

The Little family is looking to adopt a child...and what they got was Stuart, a white, orphan mouse. Mr. and Mrs. Little immediately take to him and choose him. However, George Little is far from impressed...to have a mouse for a brother...but, whom is even more dismayed is the family cat, Snowbell, being his name would be ruined of his cat buddies were to find out about Stuart, a "Mouse with a Pet Cat..." So, as Stuart spends time to his new family the leader, Smoky, plots to rid the family of Stuart once and for all...But Stuart is ready for them...

This is a sparkling, charming adaption of E.B. White's novel.

"Little Hi, Little Lo...Little Hey, Little Ho!"

So sweet it makes you sick

Author: mgulev from Copenhagen, Denmark
16 February 2003

Not that I dislike childrens movies, but this was a tearjerker with few redeeming qualities. M.J. Fox was the perfect voice for Stuart and the rest of the talent was wasted. Hugh Laurie can be amazingly funny, but is not given the chance in this movie. It´s sugar-coated sugar and would hardly appeal to anyone over 7 years of age. See Toy Story, Monsters Inc. or Shrek instead. 3/10

Do not buy the Deluxe Edition!

Author: Cornelus from Somewhere where it's cold & wet
27 December 2002

Columbia has decided they'd rather not have people watch widescreen versions of movies, which is why you won't see the letterbox version either in the standalone Deluxe Version, or the new combo Stuart 1 & 2 DVD. Tell Columbia that you care more about movies than they care about you by holding out until they fix this blunder!

Great little movie!

Author: Lori from Toronto, Canada
7 December 2002

My 3 year old daughter loves this movie although I originally thought it might be for an older group. She watches it very often. For those Stuart Little lovers, this one is for you. I gave this movie a better than average rate.

Excellent childrens' film - superb CGI

Author: madmattuk from London, UK
22 July 2002

A sweet little story aimed squarely at children with little concession to their parents.

As an adult, the main thing I noticed was the excellence of the CGI animation. Unlike, say, the animation in Star Wars II, Stuart Little looked solid and his interaction with the environment believable. (I suspect that this is the advantage of concentrating the animation budget on one figure rather than practically everything in the film).

cute but perhaps a little bit too cute

Author: andy blundell (blundell_andy@yahoo.co.uk) from warwickshire, england
30 June 2002

Charming family film about a couple who adopt a talking mouse, to the initial disgust of their son and the pet cat.

This film reminds me of the sort of stories you read to very small children. No rationale is given for the existence of a talking mouse. It is just accepted in the way that the very young, for whom everything is strange and new, accept things.

The Little family home and the views of New York have a 'chocolate-box picture' quality which adds to the air of unreality though it is very pretty.

This overwhelming cuteness, together with the rather predictable story-line prevent this from being a great family movie, though it is still a good one.

Careful with sensitive children

Author: MoonsofJupiter from Western Hemisphere
17 May 2002

Possible spoiler...?

There are some sad moments in this movie that littler children might find upsetting. My nearly five-year-old daughter broke down when the bogus mice parents came and took Stuart away. She wept again when Mrs. Little found Stuart's little sweater after he was gone. It's a cute and harmless movie, but if your kids are sensitive, watch it with them and have a box of kleenex on the couch. I spent ten minutes comforting my child...and then she cried again at the end.