IMDb > Stuart Little (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Stuart Little

Stuart Little More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 18: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

I love this rat

Author: jmathur_swayamprabha from India
21 October 2010

I have watched only a handful of Hollywood movies including gems like Gandhi and Titanic. However today I am reviewing the Hollywood movie which is closest to my heart. It is Stuart Little. At the time of watching it for the first time, I was expecting it to be a movie mainly made for the children. However after watching it fully, not only I have got addict to watch it every time it is telecast on TV on any channel and irrespective of the fact whether the version is Hindi (dubbed) or English (the original one). This movie has gone so deep into my heart that it moves me every time I watch it.

Stuart Little is a unique combination of computerised animation and live action. The central character - Stuart is a rat and there are certain other animal characters in the movie in the form of the cat - Snowbell, his friends (cats) and one rat couple playing the fake parents of Stuart. These have been managed through computerised animation (with their dialogues dubbed in human voices). And then we have human characters too which are the members of the Little family (husband, wife and male kid) plus the supporting characters. The activities and relationships of all these animated and human characters form the touching screenplay of Stuart Little which is undoubtedly an outstanding movie winning many awards.

Little rat Stuart is adopted by Little family consisting of Mr. Fredrick Little; his wife, Eleanor; their son, George and the pet cat Snowbell. The Little couple loves its adopted son very much but George is not ready to accept it as his brother and Snowbell is not happy to have a new member in the house sharing the love of its masters. How Stuart wins the hearts of both George and Snowbell and finally settles down in the family after a short span of separation from them because of a rat couple claiming to be its parents, forms the remaining story.

Director Rob Minkoff has excellently directed the story adapted from the book of E.B. White with the screenplay written by Manoj Night Shyamalan and Greg Booker. The movie is so engrossing that the viewer hardly realises when it comes to its end. It is well-paced, yet very touching movie. Right from the background score to the dialogues of the animals in the voices of Michael J. Fox (for Stuart), Nathan Lane (for Snowbell) and others to the camera work and art direction to the performances of the artists (Huge Laurie, Geena Davis and Jonathan Lipnicki as the Little family), everything is just superb. The animated white rat (Stuart) looks adorable and lovely. Seeing it wearing different style of clothes and doing different things like the human-beings is an experience to cherish. The scene of the boat-race is outstanding. The film does not let the viewer down even for a moment.

Now the bigger question is - why do I like a children's movie so much that I am ready to watch it countless number of times ? In fact, I have given standing instructions to my children to call me immediately whenever they find Stuart Little being telecast on any channel whether in English or in Hindi (dubbed version). Let me explain the reason for being so much passionate about this movie. This movie establishes Indian family values which are universal in their appeal in the most effective manner. The love and affection among the family members, their adjustments and compromises to accommodate one another, their readiness to sacrifice own joy and benefit for the fellow member's sake; everything touches me deep within. Two members of a family may not look alike, they may not be associated biologically and there may be a plethora of apparent differences between them, still the bond of love, if well-knit, can keep them mentally close.

The love of the Little couple (especially the mother) for the adopted rat and the rat's reciprocation is able to confirm my view that our love can find its genuine expression even for the animals. When Snowbell, the pet cat of the house (after first misguiding Stuart when it returns back to home and then consipiring with its friends to kill Stuart) finally saves Stuart's life from its friends, i.e., other cats; Stuart tells them (other cats) that it is not necessary for two members of a family to look like one another and the love can stand despite the appearance difference; is a lesson for all in the human-world too.

Stuart Little has everything to recommend itself. It generates laughters. It generates amusement. It generates emotions and tears. Not only me, anyone who has seen it once, can watch it several times. I have seen its sequel too. However it is the first and the original part which has had a standing (positive) impact upon me.

I end my review with the final dialogues in the Hindi version of the movie. When Stuart is finally back home in the ending scene, it asks George - Kya Ek Sukhi Parivaar Aisa Hi Hota Hai ? (Is a happy family like this only ?) and gets George's reply - Haan Jab Sapne Sach Hote Hain (Yes, when the dreams come true).

Great Human Interest Movie

Author: Robert F. Dale from United States
2 October 2009

I thought this Movie was just kid's stuff, but when I saw it at HBO-I realized how wrong my preconceived notion was. Stuart Little is a story of great human interest. On the surface, it appears like its made for children because the cast include animals led by my favorite protagonist, the mouse Stuart Little. For children, it is simple happy entertainment feature but I think, for adults, it is of great human interest because the animals (e.g. cats and the mouse Stuart Little really personify people's nature. The movie serves as man's mirror of himself-its very effective for self-evaluation and change. I think movies that have animals portraying human characteristics are the most objective means of letting people know with what they are identified with, to determine if there are some things in themselves that need to change in order for them to be useful members of society. This evaluation of the content of the movies is based on my analysis of the real substance of Stuart Little's story. Overall, its a very nice movie for general patronage- very wholesome and relaxing. Congratulations to the producers and all those involved in making Stuart Little - please have more like this-the pressured world need some therapy like this one.

Sweet Family Film

Author: jvfunn1 from Zephyrhills FL
6 June 2009

I went to see Stuart Little when it came out in 1999 and I absolutely loved it! In the movie Fredrick and Eleanor Little (Hugh Laurie and Geena Davis) adopt a mouse named Stuart(voiced by Michael J. Fox) as a brother for their son George(Jonathan Lipniki) who at first doesn't like Stuart Little until he learns he can be a big help with such things as building boats and winning boat races! But Snowbell the cat (voiced by Nathan Lane who I think did a good job as the voice of Snowbell just like he did Timon in The Lion King) is jealous of Stuart and wants to get rid of him but also later learns that Stuart isn't such a bad mouse either! My two favorite scenes are when Monty (voiced by Steve Zhan) says a mouse with a pet cat? And he rolls over with laugher That scene was just hilarious! I also liked it when Snowbell told the other cats that Stuart was apart of the family and the cats start laughing but Stuart manages to tell them that you don't have to look alike, act alike or like each other to be apart of the same family as Snowbell didn't like Stuart but still saved Stuart's life! Good message Stuart! Filled with wonderful characters, story, and setting Stuart Little is in my opinion one of the best family films since The Lion King. My mom and my Aunt Joyce didn't like it but I loved it! True family movie that the whole movie can enjoy! 10 out of 10!

Mustard on a chocolate cake

Author: nick220997 from Southampton
24 May 2009

Basically this is about a couple who want to adopt a second child. At the adoption agency they meet a mouse (Stuart) and they decide to adopt him. If you think that this is stupid, hold it, because it's getting worse.

Stuart arrives to his new home, where he is treated like a human child. (Spare me!) The rest is pretty much the usual cliché, about family problems, jealousy from the elder "brother", and at the end all issues are resolved and they are all a "happy family". Boring and worn out as this is, it is also shown in the most blunt and unsophisticated way.

I don't know if the director believed that he was being creative by introducing a mouse to the cliché, or he was just trying to fill in minutes, but he only upgraded the cliché from boring to abhorrent.

Then why I gave a 3 and not a ZERO? Because of the family cat, who loves Stuart as much as the "brother". And because of some funny gigs, where Stuart makes good use of his small size.

On the overall I believe that the film would work reasonably well if: a. Stuart was a PET and not a "sibling". b. It had kept to the funny gigs, like Stuart trying to outwit the cat, and had left out boring clichés which don't even match with anything else.

For every big kid and little ones too

Author: Andy Croft from Australia
25 March 2009

I have watch this movie for the third time. This last time with my 21 month old son. I am not sure who enjoyed it the most. Stuart Little is what I class as a Saturday afternoon movie. Its great easy going fun. I love the story. I love the voices and the human characters. I didn't realize it was Michael J Fox until I looked at IDMB. He plays a great little mouse. I have to give this movie top marks because it is a good all rounder for all ages to a really nice sense of fun. I wonder who the writers were writing for adults or kids because there is 40 years difference between me and my father and 40 years between me and my son and we all loved this movie. How many movies can span the many generations and equally please them all ?

Stuart Little made a big impact on my family.

Excellent Family Comedy with many famous talents...

Author: beccad90 from United States
5 November 2006

Stuart Little is a comedy perfect for the entire family with may great talents.

There are many familiar faces, such as Geena Davis, Hugh Laurie, known for playing Sarcastic Gregory House of House, MD., Johnathen Lipniki of The Littlest Vampire, SNL's Julia Sweeny, and a cameo of Golden Girls' Estelle Getty (She Played Sophia).

There are also many great voices, such as Michael J. Fox (Currently associated in a controversy of his Parkinson's disease ad)as the "little" hero, Stuart, Nathan Lane and Vincent Pastore as a particularly menacing cat named Smoky.

The CGI effects are stunning. Stuart looks very life-like and so do the cats, who are pretty much the real thing.

The film is based upon the book by E.B. White, best known for his book-turned-film, Charolette's Web (Look for the Live action film in theaters December).

The Little family is looking to adopt a child...and what they got was Stuart, a white, orphan mouse. Mr. and Mrs. Little immediately take to him and choose him. However, George Little is far from impressed...to have a mouse for a brother...but, whom is even more dismayed is the family cat, Snowbell, being his name would be ruined of his cat buddies were to find out about Stuart, a "Mouse with a Pet Cat..." So, as Stuart spends time to his new family the leader, Smoky, plots to rid the family of Stuart once and for all...But Stuart is ready for them...

This is a sparkling, charming adaption of E.B. White's novel.

"Little Hi, Little Lo...Little Hey, Little Ho!"

So sweet it makes you sick

Author: mgulev from Copenhagen, Denmark
16 February 2003

Not that I dislike childrens movies, but this was a tearjerker with few redeeming qualities. M.J. Fox was the perfect voice for Stuart and the rest of the talent was wasted. Hugh Laurie can be amazingly funny, but is not given the chance in this movie. It´s sugar-coated sugar and would hardly appeal to anyone over 7 years of age. See Toy Story, Monsters Inc. or Shrek instead. 3/10

Do not buy the Deluxe Edition!

Author: Cornelus from Somewhere where it's cold & wet
27 December 2002

Columbia has decided they'd rather not have people watch widescreen versions of movies, which is why you won't see the letterbox version either in the standalone Deluxe Version, or the new combo Stuart 1 & 2 DVD. Tell Columbia that you care more about movies than they care about you by holding out until they fix this blunder!

Great little movie!

Author: Lori from Toronto, Canada
7 December 2002

My 3 year old daughter loves this movie although I originally thought it might be for an older group. She watches it very often. For those Stuart Little lovers, this one is for you. I gave this movie a better than average rate.

Excellent childrens' film - superb CGI

Author: madmattuk from London, UK
22 July 2002

A sweet little story aimed squarely at children with little concession to their parents.

As an adult, the main thing I noticed was the excellence of the CGI animation. Unlike, say, the animation in Star Wars II, Stuart Little looked solid and his interaction with the environment believable. (I suspect that this is the advantage of concentrating the animation budget on one figure rather than practically everything in the film).