IMDb > Stuart Little (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Stuart Little

Stuart Little More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 18: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Great film!!

Author: Zaphoid-2 from Yukon
28 December 1999

This film was just terrific!! I went in to it wanting a very light movie, and I was not disappointed! If you have ever owned a cat you will wind up hurting yourself with laughter! The whole movie was sweet without being sachharin, and adults will get just as much of a kick out of it as kids... Go see this film, have fun, and don't expect anything serious... :-)

"Cross-species adoptions"? Hmmm.

Author: oldprof
27 December 1999

"We do not encourage cross-species adoptions," says the orphanage lady as the Littles plead to adopt a mouse. Yes, there will be adjustment difficulties for both child & family, & yes, some nervousness as to how the relatives will react. And how awkward when the "natural parents" show up, wanting their child back, & take him to deprived environment complete w/ bedbugs. Where is Bob Green when we need him?

Nevertheless, the message is, it will all work out, given enough good will on everybody's part. Interestingly, in E.B. White's novel, Stuart is the NATURAL son of the Littles; how Mrs. L. gave birth to this freak is never explained, and these circumstances caused some librarians to boycott the book.

White's Stuart feels much less loyalty to his family than the movie's Stuart does. In fact, White's Stuart is "out of the nest" in rather short order--seeking his destiny in the person of an elusive bird (how's that for cross-species attraction?).

I wonder how White would feel about his novel's being made into a parable on the subject of inter-racial adoption?

One more point: As in the novel, the Littles are white people, their cat is white, & Stuart is a WHITE mouse--with brown eyes--an unusual if not impossible combination. But a truly albino, pink-eyed mouse might not project the same loveability, nor would, presumably, a brown mouse? Hmmm.

A sweet fantasy.

Author: philippa-4 from Dallas, Texas
27 December 1999

Both my grandsons (ages 4 & 7) gave this movie a 2 thumbs up. The film has a storybook quality to it a la "Babe", but lacks the depth of its predecessor. It is, however, miles above last year's mouse movie "Mousehunt".Stuart Little came from the same director as "The Lion King", which is destined to be a classic. Although I thought this was a pleasant film, it didn't really capture the imagination, so I rated it a 6.

Back! Bigger! and Better! and Really Really Exciting!

Author: Patootey from Los Angeles
26 December 1999

It would have been a far better movie as "Eddie the Mouse." Or any new title of it's own, with it's own story to support whatever creative drive voted it out of committee. It was a nice movie, and extremely pretty, and good special effects, and enough new twists on more fart jokes and I had any hopes to expect. But it was constantly reminding you that it didn't trust the magic of the book. Everything had to be Bigger, More Relevant, More Dramatic. It couldn't remain a simple and unexplained fact that Stuart, who looked a lot like a mouse, but who was in fact Stuart, was an unusual-looking boy born to the Littles. In an attempt at Greater Relevance, the rewriters decided that it needed to wink at racial issues, be coy with "inter-species" adoptions, and just generally try to take something fine as it was, and Update. It ended up with all the charm of a really snazzy Vegas lounge version of something from Rubber Soul. On the other hand, it featured Nathan Lane continuing the exploration of his relationship to the world of mice, and any show that he's in is well worth the visit.

Adorable Light-Hearted "Tail"

Author: siamese
26 December 1999

I thoroughly enjoyed this film. Be sure to take your child to see it. It is very cleverly put together--lightly touching on various issues concerning adoption. You are drawn into the story feeling thoroughly concerned for the adorable Stuart. The other characters including the cats are hilarious!!! Adults as well as children will be impressed by the story, the special effects and the characters!

Great message and incredible effects

Author: Thomas Teague from Orlando, Florida
25 December 1999

An adorable movie with a great message about families and acceptance. All the actors are perfectly cast, especially Michael J. Fox as the voice of Stuart. The blending of the computer animated Stuart with the live actors was seamless and amazing. Truly a marvel! A must-see for all ages.

New Children's Classic

Author: igo4it2 from Fresno, California
25 December 1999

If you liked "Babe", you will love "Stuart Little". It is funny, witty, and totally entertaining even for adults. "Especially" for adults might fit too. I took my 11 year old daughter, and she thought it was great. Each of the critters takes on their very own unique personality-very believable. The voices fit to a "T". This is one very cuuuute movie that I'm sure will be a classic.

Wow!

Author: Shon R.-2 from Athens, GA
25 December 1999

Stuart Little was really funny! The acting is a little bit overdone, but it works fine in this movie which is obviously light hearted. And the special effects are really good, too. Never once does Stuart look like a piece of computer animation walking through the film (unlike effects in that silly Star Wars movie of recent vintage). The cats are the funniest things in the movie. I laughed constantly. I don't know why they had to use curse words, but that just made them funnier. Incidentally, parents, this movie is really really clean. There are a few minor swear words by those cats, but that's the only objectionable thing in the whole film. I'm impressed! Stuart Little is a creative movie with good fx, simple but original plot, good strong family values (unusual, huh?), and it's really funny! Wow!

A little mouse, a lotta charm!

Author: gregoryfamily from Toledo, Ohio
23 December 1999

This is a must see for the young at heart. Our boys, age 9 and 7, really enjoyed it (for different reasons than my wife and I did). It's another amazing example of CG animation - and good story telling, too. I hope Hollywood decides to do more "clean fun" movies like this without the gratuitous violence and/or foul language. Really suspends reality a la "Babe: A Pig In The City." Oh, and the voice characterization (especially Michael J. Fox as Stuart) was fun and believable. You gotta love it!

Stuart good for the little ones

Author: sethfan from San Jose, CA
22 December 1999

This is a fine movie to bring the little (pun intended) ones to. Parents should find nothing offensive or overly frightful in this good adaptation of E. B. White's children's novel. It presents some good traditional lessons like, "winning isn't everything, it's how you play the game," and some new ones (that even some adults need to learn) like, "you can't hold others responsible when things don't go your way." The kiddies should be fascinated by the excellent blend of CGI and live-action. Particularly noteworthy is the scene with the alley cats in the tree hunting down Stuart. There's some fine detail to watch for throughout. You actually start to believe these animals can talk and show emotion just like humans! Unfortunately, great special effects do not a great movie make, and parents might find this one a sacrafice for the sake of their children to get through. My recommendation to survive all the silly, sugar-coated, overwrought goodie-goodie dialogue and scenery is to see it as a kind of dark humor, especially in the performances of Geena Davis and Hugh Laurie. But it is Nathan Lane who steals the show. His voice-over as Snowbell - the resentful, snide, yet "mousey" house pet - is delightful. I can't imagine anyone else other than Lane doing the voice. So while the kids are enjoying the real show, the adults can have something to snicker at - but turn your head and do it to yourself, after all this one is for the children.