IMDb > Stuart Little (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Stuart Little

Stuart Little More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Cute for kids for the adults not really only if your a kid at heart like me.

Author: lisafordeay from Ireland
15 June 2013

I saw this on TV and in the cinemas when I was 9 years old at the time,im now 22)and I found it really cute and adorable.

The story centers on a dotting couple played by Genna Davis and Hugh Laurie who wants to adopt another child for their youngest child played by Johnathan Lippiki(from Jerry Maguire)as they don't want him to be a only child. So the woman from the adoption center finds the perfect candidate for them,but the problem is that the child isn't a human in fact his a MOUSE!!?! but his parents died along time ago and he wants somebody to adopt him. So since the dotting couple love him they decide to keep him(OK this is kinda of ridiculous adopting a mouse but hey its a children's flick just go with the flow on it).

They do of course plan a special event for Stuart(that's what they called him voiced by Micheal J Fox) and have all his relations over little do they know that his a mouse and that Mr and Mrs Little's cat Snowball(voiced by Nathan Lane from The Lion King)doesn't like Stuart at all and wants to get rid of him by having mice pretend to be Stuart's REAL parents.

Yeah yeah its kinda silly and a tad bit stupid but I liked this movie as a kid,today whenever its on TV I still watch it but if you've got kids around the house that likes a bit of fantasy then check it out.

Again a 6 out of 10 like the sequel.

Little mouse, big film

Author: A56T from United Kingdom
18 May 2013

Stuart Little is a great example of a film for all the family and takes the original best loved book by EB White and makes it a vivid and heart felt film.

The story is simple but that's the beauty of this film. If you are prepared to suspend your disbelief a few times then you'll find this a funny film.

Hugh Laurie tries out the American accent that would later make his fortune in the hit show House while Michael J Fox is a perfect choice as the voice of the title character.

One of my favourite films growing up and no doubt this will be the case with children for many years to come.

Not just a mouse - a brother

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
29 September 2012

The "Little" family is the gentlest, most genial movie family in recent memory. They live in a quiet house amidst the hustle and bustle of New York City life. They are the straight-shooter Frederick (Hugh Laurie), understanding Eleanor (Geena Davis), and spunky tike George (Johnathan Lipnicki), who is excited as can be the day his parents set out to adopt a new member of the family. They go in hoping to walk out with a younger sibling, but walk out with a whole other creature. Literally.

They adopt Stuart, a precocious, easily lovable mouse with the cutest smile you'll ever see, the most impeccably charming voice (thanks to Michael J. Fox), and the most adorable little clothes this side of Barbie and Ken. When the Little's take him into their home, they find "difficulties" plaguing them from the start. George is a tad underwhelmed when he finds out his new brother is a five inch rodent and the house cat isn't happy that his master also serves as lunch. The cat is Snowbell (voiced by Nathan Lane) and he develops a plan to get back at Stuart for coming into his house, allegedly trying to take over his home.

But how you could hate Stuart? One look in those eyes and you melt under the weight of his cuteness. Rob Minkoff's (co-director of Disney's The Lion King) Stuart Little pays careful attention to little background details and cinematography, but refuses to shortchange the people in the story. The screenplay, written by Greg Booker and the unlikely M. Night Shyamalan is sensitive to the idea of sibling adoption and never seems to exploit this idea or turn it into a laugh riot. E.B. White's original story sort of muted the concept, while its film counterpart puts more of an emphasis on this event.

There's a wide array of side-character voices you're likely to pick up on. David Alan Grier, Chazz Palminteri, and Steve Zahn are among them, as well as cameos by Estelle Getty, Harold Gould, and Julia Sweeney. All the characters are portrayed under a wonderfully positive light, but the writing doesn't hesitate to take a dark turn and punctuate some rather depressing sequences within its delectably sweet interior. There's a word for films like Stuart Little and that word is "jolly." This is a completely acceptable and wonderfully told spin on the "new brother" formula.

Starring: Geena Davis, Hugh Laurie, and Jonathan Lipnicki. Voiced by: Michael J. Fox, David Alan Grier, Nathan Lane, Chazz Palminteri, and Steve Zahn. Directed by: Ryan Minkoff.

Decent effort

Author: Rhonda Raymond (rhondaraymond) from Emmafield, NJ
3 April 2012

The animation is superb and only occasionally does Stuart look out of place in the frame. For the most part it all flows well together and was deserving of the Oscar nomination. Just as deserving is the animal training - anyone with cats will know how hard it is to get the little b*stards to do anything you want, so to have them do so much work is very impressive (although I understand it is all about food).

The cast are all pretty good. Davis and Laurie play it straight and are lumbered with carrying the emotional side of the film and don't have much comedy (a shame considering Laurie's talents). Michael J. Fox does the best work - he makes his Stuart very sweet and likable; a true prince amongst mice! Lipnicki does OK but is basically just the 'cute kid' that is legally required in all American family movies. The funny stuff comes from Lane, Zahn, Kirby, Tilly and, best of all, Palminteri, who's mafia cat is hilarious and sends up his own characters by doing so.

Overall this is an enjoyable family film. It may not be hilarious for adults in the way Toy Story and it's like are but it is not dull. It has characters for adults and plenty for children and it's all a bit of fun with a slightly overly sweet centre to it.

Little is more than a mouse.

Author: Keyska2004 from United States
1 May 2011

This film is for the whole family to enjoy with several great actors adding to it. Stuart Little (voice by Michal J. Fox)is our main character who is adopted so the Little Family can have another son. The son George (Jonathan Lipnicki) has hopes of another little boy like himself but he is disappointed by the adoption of a little white mouse. George turns around and really likes Stuart after Stuart helps George beat out the snotty little boy who always wins the annual boat race. Stuart steers the boat to victor and brotherhood with little George Little.

The family cat named Snowbell (voice by Nathan Lane) has substantial parts in this movie, beginning by putting a hit on Stuart with the help of some bad cats, who send out fake mouse parents to abduct Stuart. But in the end Snowbell turns around to assist Stewart help defeat the cats. Stuart Little is simple movie but very enjoyable to watch. This film is suitable for all ages and the special effects are amusing.

Nothing too mind-blowing, but a family adventure with a number of satisfying aspects

Author: Electrified_Voltage from Guelph, Ontario, Canada
31 October 2010

The first time I saw this was on video in June 2000, late in my first year as a teenager. It had been about six months since the theatrical release of "Stuart Little", and I was shown the film on the last day of school before summer holidays. I can't remember exactly what I thought of it at the time, but remember it did hold my attention for a memorable first viewing. I wouldn't be seeing it again until about ten years and four months later, but that has finally happened. I didn't know anything about the film's reputation when I first saw it, but by the time I finally watched it again, I had looked it up. I could tell that it wasn't one of the most popular family films from recent decades but wasn't generally despised, so I wasn't surprised when I found it to be a mixed blessing.

George is the only child of Eleanor and Frederick Little, but his parents are planning to adopt, which the young boy is very excited about. As he leaves for school on the day of the adoption, he reminds his parents that he wants a little brother, not a big one. Eleanor and Frederick then go to the orphanage while their son is at school, and it looks like it's going to be a tough decision as they see all the human children, but then they find an intelligent mouse named Stuart. The couple is warned that adopting a member of a different species will not likely work out, but they still adopt Stuart and introduce him to his new home. When George comes back from school that day and sees who his parents have adopted, he is disappointed. This is not helped by the fact that the household's cat, Snowbell, is not happy about being the pet cat of a mouse, and when Monty, his alley cat friend, finds out about this, he inevitably finds it very funny, so Snowbell then seeks help from the neighbourhood alley cats to get rid of Stuart!

This 1999 family adventure movie doesn't look that promising at the beginning, with a very enthusiastic George on the morning of the day his parents plan to adopt, but there certainly are some good parts after that. This includes some pretty funny moments, such as the segment with Monty the Mouth coming into the house and Snowbell trying to keep Stuart out of the visiting alley cat's sight, though Monty farting didn't amuse me. Aside from the humour, there are other memorably entertaining parts, such as the boat race, and the story gets more exciting later on. There are times when the film is a little too sappy, but this may be more of an issue near the beginning. Geena Davis and Hugh Laurie both play loving parents, but don't do an overly impressive job playing them. The live action performances in "Stuart Little" are generally not really that impressive, but there are some good voice-overs here. Michael J. Fox isn't bad in the title role, and the voices provided for the cats also stand out, including Chazz Palminteri as Smokey, the Chief Alley-Cat, who is like a mafia don. The CGI effects in this movie are excellent, with very realistic looking talking mice on two legs, and the way they made the cats' mouths open when they speak is also very convincing.

I can see why this movie doesn't exactly have the greatest reputation, with all the flaws it has, but since I'm giving it a 6/10, I obviously think it has its merits. It's based on a children's novel of the same name, written by E. B. White and published over fifty years before this movie was made, and I've never read that book, but hear that this movie is only LOOSELY based on it. Maybe many fans of the book hate this movie, I don't know, and I obviously don't know how they compare and can easily believe that the book is superior, but judging this 1999 film for what it is, I would say much better family movies were made around the same time, but "Stuart Little" could have been far worse. With its positive aspects, which include the mild humour, some of the characters, good sentiment (even if it is overdone at times), nice visuals, and a story which may get better as it goes along, both kids and adults could find themselves impressed with this particular anthropomorphic animal story, more so than I was.

I love this rat

Author: jmathur_swayamprabha from India
21 October 2010

I have watched only a handful of Hollywood movies including gems like Gandhi and Titanic. However today I am reviewing the Hollywood movie which is closest to my heart. It is Stuart Little. At the time of watching it for the first time, I was expecting it to be a movie mainly made for the children. However after watching it fully, not only I have got addict to watch it every time it is telecast on TV on any channel and irrespective of the fact whether the version is Hindi (dubbed) or English (the original one). This movie has gone so deep into my heart that it moves me every time I watch it.

Stuart Little is a unique combination of computerised animation and live action. The central character - Stuart is a rat and there are certain other animal characters in the movie in the form of the cat - Snowbell, his friends (cats) and one rat couple playing the fake parents of Stuart. These have been managed through computerised animation (with their dialogues dubbed in human voices). And then we have human characters too which are the members of the Little family (husband, wife and male kid) plus the supporting characters. The activities and relationships of all these animated and human characters form the touching screenplay of Stuart Little which is undoubtedly an outstanding movie winning many awards.

Little rat Stuart is adopted by Little family consisting of Mr. Fredrick Little; his wife, Eleanor; their son, George and the pet cat Snowbell. The Little couple loves its adopted son very much but George is not ready to accept it as his brother and Snowbell is not happy to have a new member in the house sharing the love of its masters. How Stuart wins the hearts of both George and Snowbell and finally settles down in the family after a short span of separation from them because of a rat couple claiming to be its parents, forms the remaining story.

Director Rob Minkoff has excellently directed the story adapted from the book of E.B. White with the screenplay written by Manoj Night Shyamalan and Greg Booker. The movie is so engrossing that the viewer hardly realises when it comes to its end. It is well-paced, yet very touching movie. Right from the background score to the dialogues of the animals in the voices of Michael J. Fox (for Stuart), Nathan Lane (for Snowbell) and others to the camera work and art direction to the performances of the artists (Huge Laurie, Geena Davis and Jonathan Lipnicki as the Little family), everything is just superb. The animated white rat (Stuart) looks adorable and lovely. Seeing it wearing different style of clothes and doing different things like the human-beings is an experience to cherish. The scene of the boat-race is outstanding. The film does not let the viewer down even for a moment.

Now the bigger question is - why do I like a children's movie so much that I am ready to watch it countless number of times ? In fact, I have given standing instructions to my children to call me immediately whenever they find Stuart Little being telecast on any channel whether in English or in Hindi (dubbed version). Let me explain the reason for being so much passionate about this movie. This movie establishes Indian family values which are universal in their appeal in the most effective manner. The love and affection among the family members, their adjustments and compromises to accommodate one another, their readiness to sacrifice own joy and benefit for the fellow member's sake; everything touches me deep within. Two members of a family may not look alike, they may not be associated biologically and there may be a plethora of apparent differences between them, still the bond of love, if well-knit, can keep them mentally close.

The love of the Little couple (especially the mother) for the adopted rat and the rat's reciprocation is able to confirm my view that our love can find its genuine expression even for the animals. When Snowbell, the pet cat of the house (after first misguiding Stuart when it returns back to home and then consipiring with its friends to kill Stuart) finally saves Stuart's life from its friends, i.e., other cats; Stuart tells them (other cats) that it is not necessary for two members of a family to look like one another and the love can stand despite the appearance difference; is a lesson for all in the human-world too.

Stuart Little has everything to recommend itself. It generates laughters. It generates amusement. It generates emotions and tears. Not only me, anyone who has seen it once, can watch it several times. I have seen its sequel too. However it is the first and the original part which has had a standing (positive) impact upon me.

I end my review with the final dialogues in the Hindi version of the movie. When Stuart is finally back home in the ending scene, it asks George - Kya Ek Sukhi Parivaar Aisa Hi Hota Hai ? (Is a happy family like this only ?) and gets George's reply - Haan Jab Sapne Sach Hote Hain (Yes, when the dreams come true).

Great Human Interest Movie

Author: Robert F. Dale from United States
2 October 2009

I thought this Movie was just kid's stuff, but when I saw it at HBO-I realized how wrong my preconceived notion was. Stuart Little is a story of great human interest. On the surface, it appears like its made for children because the cast include animals led by my favorite protagonist, the mouse Stuart Little. For children, it is simple happy entertainment feature but I think, for adults, it is of great human interest because the animals (e.g. cats and the mouse Stuart Little really personify people's nature. The movie serves as man's mirror of himself-its very effective for self-evaluation and change. I think movies that have animals portraying human characteristics are the most objective means of letting people know with what they are identified with, to determine if there are some things in themselves that need to change in order for them to be useful members of society. This evaluation of the content of the movies is based on my analysis of the real substance of Stuart Little's story. Overall, its a very nice movie for general patronage- very wholesome and relaxing. Congratulations to the producers and all those involved in making Stuart Little - please have more like this-the pressured world need some therapy like this one.

Sweet Family Film

Author: jvfunn1 from Zephyrhills FL
6 June 2009

I went to see Stuart Little when it came out in 1999 and I absolutely loved it! In the movie Fredrick and Eleanor Little (Hugh Laurie and Geena Davis) adopt a mouse named Stuart(voiced by Michael J. Fox) as a brother for their son George(Jonathan Lipniki) who at first doesn't like Stuart Little until he learns he can be a big help with such things as building boats and winning boat races! But Snowbell the cat (voiced by Nathan Lane who I think did a good job as the voice of Snowbell just like he did Timon in The Lion King) is jealous of Stuart and wants to get rid of him but also later learns that Stuart isn't such a bad mouse either! My two favorite scenes are when Monty (voiced by Steve Zhan) says a mouse with a pet cat? And he rolls over with laugher That scene was just hilarious! I also liked it when Snowbell told the other cats that Stuart was apart of the family and the cats start laughing but Stuart manages to tell them that you don't have to look alike, act alike or like each other to be apart of the same family as Snowbell didn't like Stuart but still saved Stuart's life! Good message Stuart! Filled with wonderful characters, story, and setting Stuart Little is in my opinion one of the best family films since The Lion King. My mom and my Aunt Joyce didn't like it but I loved it! True family movie that the whole movie can enjoy! 10 out of 10!

Mustard on a chocolate cake

Author: nick220997 from Southampton
24 May 2009

Basically this is about a couple who want to adopt a second child. At the adoption agency they meet a mouse (Stuart) and they decide to adopt him. If you think that this is stupid, hold it, because it's getting worse.

Stuart arrives to his new home, where he is treated like a human child. (Spare me!) The rest is pretty much the usual cliché, about family problems, jealousy from the elder "brother", and at the end all issues are resolved and they are all a "happy family". Boring and worn out as this is, it is also shown in the most blunt and unsophisticated way.

I don't know if the director believed that he was being creative by introducing a mouse to the cliché, or he was just trying to fill in minutes, but he only upgraded the cliché from boring to abhorrent.

Then why I gave a 3 and not a ZERO? Because of the family cat, who loves Stuart as much as the "brother". And because of some funny gigs, where Stuart makes good use of his small size.

On the overall I believe that the film would work reasonably well if: a. Stuart was a PET and not a "sibling". b. It had kept to the funny gigs, like Stuart trying to outwit the cat, and had left out boring clichés which don't even match with anything else.

Page 2 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]