IMDb > A Rather English Marriage (1998) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

A Rather English Marriage (TV) More at IMDbPro »

A Uniquely English Classic

Author: DC1977 from United Kingdom
10 December 2003

A modern television classic set in the Eighties, A Rather English Marriage tells the story of two recently widowed men; a brash World War Two squadron leader (Albert Finney) and a retired milkman (Tom Courtenay) who form an unlikely alliance as they come to terms with their bereavements.

The two men miss their wives for totally different reasons, Roy Southgate (Courtenay) is a loyal, devoted husband who spends hours with his wife when visiting her at hospital. Reggie Conyngham-Jervis (Finney) is a philanderer who relies on his wife mainly for her cooking and cleaning skills and sees his hospital visits as time that could be better spent in the pub.

When a social worker sees that each man could be the solution to the other's problems, these two characters (complete opposites plagued by personal problems they try to keep hidden) who were hospital waiting room acquaintances are now brought together full time.

This is the sort of charming, well-written television drama that nobody seems to want to make anymore, the two leads forming an even more effective partnership than they did in The Dresser fifteen years earlier where Finney stole the show.

Courtenay is superbly understated, Finney is more powerful and boisterous and probably the more versatile actor. Their contrasting styles complement each other perfectly.

Although this is mainly a double-act, Joanna Lumley also excels as the gold-digger who has her eye on Reggie's wallet.

However this drama belongs equally to Finney and Courtenay. The final scene with these two grand old men of film and theatre dancing to Glenn Miller's 'Moonlight Serenade' will surely prove to be one of the most lasting and endearing moments in British television.

Wonderful

Author: lorenellroy from United Kingdom
30 May 2002

The pairing of Courtenay and Finney,whose contrasting styles combine so well together,were brilliant in The Dresser,which makes their pairing in this drama so very welcome.They play contrasting men widowed on the same day and paired together by social services.Finney is a womanising ex=Battle of Britain pilot whose wife came from wealthy stock while Courteney is a former milkman.Courteney possesses all the requisite domestic skills while Finney would struggle to boil water without a recipe book. Against all odds and not helped by Finney's habit of assuming command they rub along well together until the arrival of Joanna Lumley a gold-digger who sets her sights on Finney

Beautifully written and impeccably played character study.It illustrates that dumbing down ,while having achieved epidemic proportions on UK television,has not yet conquered all bastions of the box.

a terrific little movie of the kind that the Brits excel at

Author: kjff from Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 March 2002

What a gem! Courtenay and Finney soar in this quiet story about two widowers whom circumstances bring them together as house-mates. Finney is a blustery ex-air force's squadron leader with some money, Courtenay a small, quiet blue-collar worker. This movie is all about their developing relationship and the two of them display their considerable acting skills. The small story is a wonderful device to have the two of them find out how to live with one another and, ultimately, how to become friends.

If you love fine acting and gentle stories, you must try this. It's one of the few that I bought for my collection.

Reuniting A Fine Pair of Character Actors

Author: grabberlime from Vancouver, B.C. Canada
15 October 2006

Finney & Courtenay are teamed again in this tale of two widowers who are drawn together by a well meaning social services worker.

Finney seems at first coolly detached from his loss, while Courtenay is the far more visibly shaken of the two. Finney is essentially left with a lifetime interest in his home and a small annual stipend by his late wife. Courtenay needs companionship. The social worker brings them together in a marriage of convenience.

Finney assumes the role of the master of the house and Courtenay essentially the man servant.For those who enjoyed the pair in 1984's The Dresser, Courtenay calling Finney "Sir" will bring a smile to your face.

As the plot evolves, we see Finney deteriorating while Courtenay steps up to the plate to assume the more dominant role. Both are forced to face tragedy again during their time together and learn to adapt.

The film deals with how people deal with grief, or choose not, and in the end, how we all must make that choice.

Masterful Drama- brilliantly acted

Author: Tom May (joycean_chap@hotmail.com) from United Kingdom
10 May 1999

A really wonderful drama. A good plot, elevated hugely by two perfect performances from Tom Courtenay and Albert Finney. They are truly superb as Southgate (working-class) and Reggie ("The Squadron Leader"-staunchly upper-class), two widowers who strike an unlikely friendship to come to terms with life again. Finney and Courtenay truly show exactly what brilliant acting is, and this is comfortably the best original single drama in 1998.

moving drama

Author: madeleinebecker from Canada
22 October 2006

I caught this on our British Columbia Learning Channel (TLC) and what a gem it is. I have yet to see Finney in a bad movie and that is why I tuned in. Am I glad I did. This is a gem, never a false tone, the nuances, it is all there. It is so delicately handled, after all it touches on some difficult aspects of our human journey. The contrast between the two men is enormous but they overcome their difficulties in later years to form a strong friendship. When the movie ends, we remain with hope, hope for the human condition. I highly recommend it, turn down the lights and allow this film to seep into you. Savour each element, especially the "Moonlight Serenade" by Glenn Miller at the end, and compare it to the previous piece: Pennsylvannia 6000, also by Glenn Miller, which is quite different. But then we know why. Enjoy, you are in for a rare treat.

Interesting character study

Author: potato2
18 February 2010

Two elderly men are widowed on the same night in the same hospital. Pompous lecher Reggie (Albert Finney) and meek milkman Southgate (Tom Courtenay) would seem to have little in common, yet they become roommates at the suggestion of a social worker who thinks the situation will ease their grief. Reggie, however, starts bossing Southgate around and treating him like a servant while beginning a dodgy romance with a younger woman.

This well-intentioned "odd couple"-type drama almost hits a home run with top-notch acting from the two stars, but the script glosses over or eliminates much needed information and action. While Southgate doesn't seem to mind being treated like hired help, we never understand why he stays in the relationship, as their friendship is assumed rather than developed in the story. Courtenay is by far the more sympathetic of the two, giving a poignant performance as a truly grieving man who has a family secret. Finney's blustery old windbag is quite rude and unlikable, but he does a good job playing him.

I think this could have been better with another half hour to develop the relationship between the two men; as it is we're left to fill in much of the story ourselves. Still, this simple movie is quite watchable thanks to the talent and charisma of Finney and Courtenay.

Nobody Does It Like The Brits With A Little Help From American Music

Author: hjmsia49 from United States
4 April 2009

I ordered the video of this film from the local library because the pairing of Finney and Courtenay intrigued me. I was not disappointed as these gentlemen both give bravura performances. It was fitting they both received BAFTA nominations. Originally shown on TV's Masterpiece Theatre, it features a fine introduction and conclusion by Russell Baker. There is also a fine supporting stint by Joanna Lumley as Finney's love interest. This story will especially appeal to those who remember the World War II era and its music. As previously stated, the final scene to the music of Glenn Miller's classic "Moonlight Serenade" was very moving. I have always considered that recording as the anthem of our generation.

An enriching experience

Author: Boris-34
11 January 2001

I was tired and did not expect to stay with this movie, but thought I'd see how it began. The story and the absolutely wonderful performances by Finney and Courtenay kept me absorbed in it till it was all over. This quiet movie was, unexpectedly, to be one of my all-time favorites.

A beautifully performed tour de force by the two male leads and all supporting cast. A MUST for a serious movie person,

Author: (ncdoc@pinehurst.net) from Pinehurst, North Carolina
1 January 2001

Albert Finny and his co lead are superb,acting at its best!!!! A story and performance to remember. I think it fits the over 50-55 year old set best. Just wonderful entertainment with brilliant script. I will see it again...and again Dr G Catapano