IMDb > Drive Me Crazy (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Drive Me Crazy

Drive Me Crazy More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 15: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Not a terribly original or groundbreaking piece, but fun & sweet nonetheless

Author: Matthew Robert Bowers (rmfilms@hotmail.com) from Sacramento, CA
2 September 1999

Okay, so it doesn't break any molds. It's a typical teen "high school" movie, the plot sounds suspiciously similar to "She's All That", and it's based on a "young adult" novel. But "Drive Me Crazy" is cute, entertaining, and fun. Melissa Joan Hart (TV's "Sabrina the Teenage Witch") plays Nicole, one of the "popular" teens at school. Her next door neighbor, once best friend, Chase ("The Adventures of Sebastian Cole"'s Adrian Grenier) is one of the "outcasts" at school, dating ultra alternative-indie-revolutionary-gothic chick Dulcie (Ali Larter, doing a complete 180 from the character she played in "Varsity Blues", leading me to believe this talented unknown has a real future in films) -- until she dumps him. Bummer. Not for Nicole, who's looking for a way to entice jock-boy Brad (Carpenter) into asking her to the school's Centennial Dance (which Nicole has meticulously planned herself). She suggests to her old friend Chase that by appearing to date, they might make their respective loves jealous and therefore win them (or win them back in Chase's case). So Chase agrees to be remade in Nicole's image of the perfect man. The script actually takes a decent look at the divisions and class (social, not year of graduation) structure inherent in high school. Neither of the cliques (the popular kids or the outcasts) is made out to be better than the other. Both have their pluses and their minuses. Obviously, both the main characters are representative of the best of their respective groups. But the minuses? Larter's character springs to mind, as does Alicia ("10 Things I Hate About You"'s May Pratt) -- a popular chick who actually seems to be the devil. "Are you happier now?" an outcast-turned-popular Dee Vine (Lynn Pratt) asks Chase. He's not sure; neither is she. The acting is average. I like Joan Hart and Grenier, and Stephen Collins (of TV's moral-heavy "7th Heaven") gives a small but good performance as Nicole's absent dad. As I've said before, I like Larter (both in this film and "Varsity Blues"), and I also liked Mark Webber's "designated Dave". The Pratts (sisters? They don't look it...) could have been stronger, but both are decent actors who should have promising careers ahead of them. Kris Park could have been stronger as well, but he does an okay job as well.

The directing is average as well. It's not as sloppily done as "10 Things I Hate About You", but it's not as good as "She's All That", either. There are a couple nice shots, and a couple nice uses of slow motion, but other than that, fairly bland. Though I could just be disappointed there was no dance number (as there was in "She's All That") or beheadings (as there was in "The 13th Warrior"). Is it worth the trip to the movie theatre? Maybe not. I'd pay matinee price, but not the full eight bucks (I was fortunate enough to see it for free). But as I said, the directing wasn't particularly dynamic, and the aspect ratio's only 1.85:1, so it won't lose much if you wait for video. It is, nevertheless, a fun, cute, sweet, decently-written movie with a nicely intertwined plot that I recommend.

Bottom line: Not as sharp as "Cruel Intentions" and not as well-shot as "She's All That", but a fun, sweet film nevertheless. My grade: "B". My advice: See it at a matinee, or wait for video. But DO see it.

Teen romance with intelligence

Author: sageev
7 October 2006

OK.. First, don't watch the movie if you hate teen romance type movies. If you don't have a problem with them, then this movie probably stands out as one of the best in this genre (due, in no small part, to the major acting skills of Adrian Grenier, the thankfully understated performances of Melissa Joan Hart and Ali Larter, and the amazing screenplay be Rob Thomas). It's not a highly intelligent movie, but it certainly is entertaining. Except for the characters that are intentionally written as shallow, every character is multi-dimensional, and actually changing as the movie progresses.

/* SPOILERS FOLLOW */ What made the movie special for me was that the "exs" that dump Adrian's and Melissa's characters are not the stereotypical evil characters that most teen romances feature. Ali Larter is just a wonder to watch. I loved the scene at the end of the movie when she and Adrian's character realize that they are not supposed to be together. And Melissa's ex in the movie: he was the lovable dumb jock that falls in love with someone but doesn't really mean any harm. Of course, it's always nice to see the average high schoolers coming out ahead (Adrian's friends, for the most part).

Very enjoyable

Author: cool_as_ice14 from Australia
11 February 2006

This is one of the funniest movies around, the dialogue is so funny and it doesn't make them sound like they are child geniuses ( think Dawson's Creek), or have no personality like most teen flicks around. In this movie the characters actually have depth and they are not just your average cookie cutter characters.

Chase is a funny, sarcastic outcast who is asked to go to the prom with Miss Teen Spirit, Nicole - a perky blonde (who is actually quite smart), as her date for the prom has backfired and now she has resorted to go with him rather than to go alone. Chase is stuck going with her in attempt to make his ex girlfriend jealous enough so that she will want him back. They both get to know each other again and realize so much that they never knew before.

Sure this film might be considered a little dated in some of the scenes but the appeal of Adrian Grenier and the underlying messages in the film are more than enough to make you like it. Melissa Joan Hart looks too old to be playing a teenager but Adrian Grenier is very good as Chase Hammond, he brings character and depth into his character and is very convincing.

No other teen movies are very much like this anymore, Cinderella Story, How to Deal, Raise your voice don't even compare to this movie. It has a lot of heart, and the characters are very likable and believable. Don't let the age of the movie fool you, it is really one of the better teen flicks around.

A movie to make you smile...

Author: from United States
5 June 2005

"The last guy she wants is the only one she needs." You just have to love Melissa & Adrian's chemistry. That's really what binds the whole movie. I mean the are so hot & heavy you have to love them. The soundtrack it amazing. The actors are excellent, and you just have to love the plot.Use to be best friend then one got "too cool for school." Then she gets in a bind he gets dumped & BAM they're there to help each other for selfish reasons of course. Then as they spend more time together pretending to be a couple they realize what they wanted was there all along. How heartwarming. <3 LOVE! Go & see this movie & it will restore your faith in men. But it may have you wondering about your best friend. ;-) Go rent the movie & you will then understand what that comment means. I highly approve!

A Disaster

Author: Katie Vallas from United States
30 April 2005

Let's take a break from the big screen in your living room and imagine a little film of your own: A meeting. Directors, producers, writers, possibly some interested actors, all seated around a table. A burly man-in-charge glares fiercely at his underlings as they all scribble furiously, shuffle papers, and try not to meet his eyes. "A plot," he suddenly shouts. "We need a plot! Something original! Clever! Innovative! You!" he cries, pointing at a suddenly pale lackey. "Give me a plot!" The lackey shakes, his pen dropping from his suddenly lax fingers, and after a long, painful pause, whispers, "How about...She's All That? But with the roles...switched?" There is no other explanation for this movie.

Only an overeducated, money-obsessed, scared-out-his-wits idiot could have thought of this. Ms. Popular beautifies a Mr. Loser, for her own gain, thus catapulting him into popularity? No other possible explanation.

It is only out of pity for the poor lackey that I do ask you to RUN FOR YOUR LIVES! AVOID AT ALL COST! Should a desperate man in a rumpled suit offer YOU money to watch this movie, TURN HIM DOWN! Then again, screw pity. Follow my advice, for your own good.

Just...awful

Author: emmegirl827 from Pennsylvania
27 November 2004

Possibly one of the worst movies I've ever seen in my entire life. The plot line was the type where it's already been done, but they try to put a new twist on it. The acting was not up to par as Melissa Joan Heart is a great actress in many other things. I just felt like banging my head off the wall after every pain staking moment of this film. I'm usually the one in my group who likes the crappy movies. So to anyone who feels like this film was good..your entitled to your opinion, but I for one disagree. If you wanna see a really crappy film...rent it, but I wouldn't waste my money on this. So what's the deal with this movie? Why did it suck so bad? The world may never know.

Pretty good

Author: laurangel from Boston, MA
9 August 2003

This isn't the best movie I've ever seen, but it was pretty good. It's based on real life and what people really go through in relationships. Melissa and Adrian look soooooooo cute together!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The only bad thing I have to say is that it was too much of a copy of 10 Things I Hate About You. In other words, it wasn't original. The plot, bad, the actors, excellent!!!!

Best Teen Comedy in a long time

Author: GreekCritic from Chicago, Il USA
17 June 2003

I am a big fan of teeny bopper films. I grew up watching Sixteen Candles, Breakfast Club, Pretty In Pink, Some Kind of Wonderful and even Weird Science! Though the first thought of Drive Me Crazy might make u think this is nothing but cheeeze, its not. It took me back to the times of those great Teen movies and I can't even count the number of times I have seen this movie, heck I even bought the DVD! There is just something about this movie that makes me laugh and the smile stays on my face even long after the movie is over.

Bland, boring teen romantic comedy.

Author: silverzero from Dungarvan, Ireland
13 June 2003

Oh no, another shamefully predictable romantic comedy. `Drive Me Crazy' can be compared to candy floss in many ways. Once you bite into the fluffy sugar, there's a hollow core that's in desperate need of being filled. It is in no way big and complex, and there's only about two or three artificial ingredients. They both heavily rely on artificial preservatives to keep it from going stale too quickly (in the movies case: clichés). Finally, it's not good for you and there's nothing fresh in it's many layers- no substance whatsoever.

While there is an unwritten rule that romantic comedies are predictable, they still have a certain amount of potential to be witty and/or remotely funny. `Drive Me Crazy' is completely devoid of these positives. What's even worse is the fact that it doesn't even attempt at humour. It's one of those movies that's branded as a rom-com only because the material present isn't heavy enough to consider as a full-scale romance. The division of charm over wit is never in equal proportions. There's nothing that the film has that's bad, but there are plenty of elements that it's missing. Then again, if you like mindless, charming, paint-by-numbers teen movies, this is probably the film for you.

The acting is flat and one-dimensional while the characters are shallow stereotypes. Melissa Joan Hart was great in `Sabrina the Teenage Witch' in the title role. It's evident that her appearance in the movie is just an excuse to get rid of her girl-next-door image. Ironically, she plays that exact character and does little to show that she's gone past that stage. Adrian Grenier doesn't jump off the screen for any particular reason and does little with his part as the boy-next-door counterpart. Supporting performances are all pretty much the same.

Directing styles, art direction etc., are average but the script is the real problem. Even I could write a screenplay better than this. If you want to see something original/ radical/ totally out of this world, give `Drive Me Crazy' a miss. My IMDb rating: 4.5/10.

A nice laugh able movie to watch.

Author: Adnan Kundi from Islamabad, pakistan
4 March 2003

It was a nice movie with Malissa Joan Hart and Adrien Grenier pairing up. The plot and the story is a good one to see.What more, with Britney Spears's song 'Drive Me Crazy' its Soundtrack gets to be cool. Its comedy is a nice one to see. It's '10 Things...' kind of a movie, so the ones who watched '10 Things...' must watch this movie too.

Page 10 of 15: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]