IMDb > Bless the Child (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Bless the Child

Bless the Child More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 20:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Good film, similar plot...

Author: Jack the Ripper1888 from Chicagooooooo
4 June 2002

BLESS THE CHILD is another one of those films that fit right into the category of 'satan-becomes-man-and-is-about-to-take-over-the-world' movies. Other examples of the genre would be END OF DAYS and LOST SOULS. Both of which are good. BLESS THE CHILD is not better than these two films and it is not worse either. It is just the same.

Maggie (Kim Basinger) lives with her sister's daughter, Cody (Holliston Coleman). When Cody gets discovers that she has special powers and abilities, she is targeted by a cult led by her sister's fiance, Eric Stark (Rufus Sewell). With the help of a gothic cult follower (Christina Ricci) that is willing to help her, Maggie must stop the cult from using Cody's powers for their ultimate goal...use them to summon the Devil.

Now, this is a cool movie. Not too much action, but some. A little bit of horror thrown in for good measure, and some thrilling sequences- and you got a good movie. See this film, if you are a fan of the genre. Otherwise, you probably won't like it that much. But, otherwise, this is one thrill-ride of a film! BLESS THE CHILD: 5/5.

Suspense And Shock

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
28 April 2006

Wow, this is a rarity: a modern-day film in which the Christians (mostly nuns in this story) are the "good guys" and the New Age advocates are the devil-like "bad guys." That really annoys all the secular critics, which means about 99 percent of them.

Rufus Sewell plays a Satan-worshiping cult leader who tries to kidnap young Holliston Coleman, someone with special healing powers. Kim Basinger, in an unusual wholesome low-key role, plays the aunt-turned-parent/guardian of the kid.

There is some very good suspense here, especially at the end and some shocking horror scenes of violence. "Shocking" not just because of what happened but the film was so family-oriented up until then. Overall, though, a decent story and a good message. Even though I liked it, it wouldn't a film I would watch multiple times, although a second look is likely.

A most underrated movie, unfairly condemned by others

Author: angelwalkseries (angelwalkseries@cox.net) from Chesapeake, Virginia
8 June 2003

I have been going to the movies for 55 years now. And I have been writing novels for nearly 30 years, with 38 published thus far. One of my favorite genres as a moviegoer is the horror thriller, which is one in which I have written also, usually within a Christian context.

BLESS THE CHILD is unquestionably one of the finest genre movies I have ever seen, the kind that combine Christian themes and thriller techniques. I like it because it is relatively subdued, with sincere underplayed acting, and a minimum of Hollywood hocus-pocus.

The themes are:

1) The triumph of God over the devil, instead of the reverse. 2) The power of prayer. 3) The depiction of angels of light. 4) Brief but effective moments when demonic creatures, normally in an unseen supernatural existence, are revealed starkly. 5) No attempt to make evil seem other than loathsome, destructive. 6) Child-like faith enables us to resist Satan.

The direction by Chuck Russell was excellent, involving; no wonder he came close to directing the screen version of THIS PRESENT DARKNESS. There was almost no foul language, and the brutal episodes were less in number than usual.

I notice the Christian moments were referred to as "propaganda". Why is it propaganda when biblical references are used but not propaganda when humanism, nihilism, abortion, homosexuality, adultery and such are similarly promoted?

I showed BLESS THE CHILD to a neighbor couple, folks who are not especially religious. They were enthralled by it, reacting nervously when the suspense is intensified, rejoicing at the more inspiring moments.

BLESS THE CHILD is not a toweringly great movie but, rather, an intensely reverent one, directed with intelligence, acted with conviction, without nude scenes, and thankfully lacking a tidal wave of vulgarity,

Roger Elwood

I gave it an 8/10

Author: Daniel Umoh (marquel99@hotmail.com) from Plano, Texas, U.S.A.
22 April 2001

Bless the Child is about a 6 year old girl born under a star so she has special powers, and she is destined to lead many to God. However there is a satanic cult out to turn her to the "dark side", if you will. It was a pretty good movie, it had to do with God, angels, the devil. Quite frankly I liked it.

Great supernatural ride

Author: Entil'Za (SeanValen) from London, England
17 December 2002

Kim Basinger is great in this, great good vs evil, every good deed is high lighted. "A good man is not alone in the world." Great quote.

You'll get film snobs who will over search too many things, but the story and entertainment is top notch, great star in Basinger, good morale and religious overtones. A enjoyable supernatural ride that has elements of horror. It's a story done before with End of Days and Lost Souls, but I like them all, if they dress it up to entertain, then no problem with me, these stories are important and timeless. Good vs Evil, and its done well for me.

A Good Supernatural Thriller

Author: livingdeadgirl_13 from vancouver
28 December 2002

Maggie( Kim Basinger) is a lonely woman without a family and on one rainy day, she suddenly finds her sister jenna( Angela Bettis) who she hasn't seen in two years at her doorstep with a baby. Jenna is to worn out and can't lay off the drugs she's been using so she runs away and leaves Maggie with her baby. As slowly the years pass by, it seems that cody (Holliston Coleman) suffers from some kind of autism. Her disorder is hard to explain but it is bluntly obvious that Cody isn't like ordinary children. Meanwhile, in the neighbourhood are some horrible murders going around. Kids are being found dead in a gruesome ritual where they all have the same satanic symbol burned on their bodys. No one can explain who is doing this but when Cody becomes a target for these murders, Maggie will do anything to save her niece. I enjoyed this movie, i think the acting was very good, especially by Kim Basinger and Angela Bettis. My favorite actress Christina Ricci had only a very small part in this movie but I still enjoyed seeing her. I would give Bless The Child 8/10

Not that bad

Author: rblizz from Euless, TX
16 April 2001

If I had only read the reviews written in this forum I would have thought this movie was another Kevin Costner or John Travolta fiasco. Never have I seen so much intense negative interest in a "really bad" movie.

Before watching "Bless The Child" tonight, my only prior knowledge of it was seeing the trailer a couple of times on TV when the movie was about to be released. And then I only really noticed because the Icon label attached to it seemed to be out of place.

But the movie really wasn't that bad, though it could have used more (much more) focus and better lines and more intensity from the lead actors.

The story is classic good vrs. evil. What seems to have peeved many of the reviewers is that "good," in the form of a little girl (Holliston Coleman), was actually presented as having some real (and quiet) strength for a change. I suppose, in these reviewers jaded view of reality, this seems unrealistic. Besides, in horror movies (you know, the "realistic" kind) the evil thingamabob is always indestructible and just when good manages to triumph -- we find it really didn't. (How dare the "Bless the Child" producers have the gall not to be cliche in this respect!)

So to sum up my feelings. I liked the story (I don't suffer from anti-Catholic bigotry so the charge of being "too Catholic" wasn't a concern). I liked the little girl's acting. I thought Kim Bassinger did a credible job -- though her part lacked some intensity as did Jimmie Smits' part. I thought the Stark character (acted by Rufus Sewell) was well acted and convincingly evil. Miss Ricci's cameo was well done and the special effects were very good. Overall, taking into account my earlier criticism of lack of focus, lack of intensity and a few lines that made me wince -- it was not a bad movie. I would suggest it for those who *do* like a clear cut distinction between good and evil.

And, oh yes. No nudity. Very little profanity and violence that was intense but not overly graphic or gory. (I know -- this crew simply *doesn't* know how to make a "real" horror film, do they?)

Dress the Turkey

Author: Rourke (darren@rankingsoftware.com) from Melbourne, Australia
17 October 2000

This movie really affected me. It keeps haunting me two days after seeing it ...

- How did that script get to production? - How did the movie get to general release? - And they spent money marketing it?!

There are a few inconsequential spoilers here. Read them anyway; just don't see the film.

Bless The Child broke the cardinal rule of film-making: "Create Tension". It was never in doubt that the good guys were going to win the war. Of course. But in this film, they weren't even allowed to lose a battle. The good guys could cheat by having God step in and get them out of anything.

"Your car's hanging off a bridge and about to fall? Here, take this angel's hand." I'm not kidding. Real angels. Sent just because the good guys had to win. *puke*

The six-year-old girl gave not the slightest indication that she was going over to the dark side. Rufus Sewell did his best Darth Vader ("Feel the anger! Use the hate!"). Apparently his plan to take over the world depended on completely converting a little girl who was possessed by God. In attempting to do this, he immolated a homeless man. Yeah, that'll work. There wasn't a trace of a dilemma on the girl's face. What is your plan, Rufus?! Offer the girl the world? What's she going to do with it? And is the audience supposed to feel any of the temptation? We're never shown any upsides of this supposedly powerful evil. Not even a nice house.

That climax. I guess I could write it. Let's see, Rufus will wear a robe and speak some dangerous-sounding Latin. The little girl will sit there and do nothing. Some evil special-effects, build the tension ...

Oops. No tension, very brief effects, and then it's all over. Angels storm the place, and Rufus copped a God-guided bullet. Oh yeah, his second-in-command bizarrely rushed out of nowhere and was despatched in four seconds.

The final scene. A Rufus follower, in slow motion, in broad daylight, is racing to stab the little girl. She looks at him. He backs away. YOU CALL THAT A TWIST?!

Bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb (five bombs). And Kim Basinger taught Hugh Grant to run. At least that gave me a laugh.

Weird, dumb, and not entertaining...

Author: Benny Yau (Psycho Doughboy 66) from Vancouver, BC, Canada
4 September 2000

After seeing the previews on this movie, my friends and I wanted to see it right away for three reasons: 1) it seemed like it had a very touching plot; 2) the special effects seemed very real; and 3) we love Christina Ricci. So, we decided to see it the Friday it came out. But, when we walked out of the theater, we were laughing our heads off because of how dumb the movie was. First, the plot was not believable, did not move along smoothly, and was generally boring. Yes, the leads act really well, but the plot made them look like chickens running around with their heads off. Second, the effects were mediocre. Although, I did not expect much in the ways of effects in the movie, this was pretty bad. Have you ever seen someone trying to kill someone else with a butter knife?! I have, in this movie! Thirdly, almost the entire preview was spent on Christina Ricci's role. But the length of her on-screen in the movie is equal to the amount of time she is in the trailer. Her role could easily be filled by an extra! Her role had no challenge, hardly any lines and hardly any effect on the movie. So, if you want a good laugh at a stupid, "it's-been-done" movie, or if you have nothing better to do, see "Bless The Child". If not, you would be as disappointed as my friends and I were.

Well crafted movie that allows you see the good...

Author: marlex from Florida, US
10 August 2001

Bless the Child was a good movie. I have to admit that when this movie came to theatres, it was one of the few times that negative reviews kept me from seeing a movie. After watching the DVD last night, I was kicking myself for missing a chance to see this movie a year earlier.

Bless the child is full of new or unknown actors, but reguardless it is well acted... Kim Basinger and Jimmy Smits both play their parts well and the script and their acting allows the viewer to see something that may be chemistry building between the two, but doesn't throw it in our faces. The problem with most movies of this type is that the villian is flat and poorly acted... That is not the case in Bless the Child. Rufus Sewell does an excellent job portraying the evil Eric Stark. Although she has a nominal part in the movie, Angela Bettis played the part of Maggies drug-addicted sister so well, I was absolutely hating her. Even with all of this, the movie would not be what it is without the superb acting of Holliston Coleman who plays 6-year-old Cody. At 7, Holliston has more ability than many adult actors. She definately has a future.

The story and directing were both done well. Although it is not the most original story line, it is done a different way. Rarely, if ever, is the force of good allowed to manifest itself in a visible presence. In Bless the Child, however, the good can be seen along with the evil. Although I not by any means a very religious person, this struck a cord with me. There's a sense of hope within this growing evil... The world may just have a chance, not because a big guy with a big gun blew away Satan... no, because there is good out there. The battle between good and evil does have two sides... It's just nice to be able to see the good for a change.

The special effects are also good in this movie. It is by far a special effects movie, but they are used in a smart fashion to provide a glimpse at the battle that goes on all around us, although we don't see it... Only the rat bedroom sequence left me somewhat disappointed, the rest provided a eery mood to the film.

Bless the Child is a great film for what it is and maybe be known as the starting point to the great career of Holliston Coleman. 8/10

Although it may not be a perfect movie,

Page 1 of 20:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]