IMDb > "Robot Wars" (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Robot Wars" More at IMDbPro »

supremely enjoyable!

Author: baikal from Illinois
30 August 2000

A truly excellent and enjoyable piece of entertainment!

A battle of skill, design, tactic, intelligence and raw robot power. Very fast-paced and dynamic, with no useless and vulgar theatrics typical of american "wrestling" shows.

Addictive

Author: Jozxyqk from Australia
9 May 2003

People who watch this show to see robots ripped to smitherines are those who watch wrestling to see broken bones, 'cops' for nudity or racing for crashes. It's more than that.

Robot wars is the today equivalent of gladiatorial combat. You get attached to robots and roboteers (like poor David Gribble), cheer when they win, and feel angry when they lose. Although it is designed so kids can enjoy it, it's good clean fun for older audiences.

GO RAZER!!!!!!

American TV Execs take note

Author: alcalde from United States
7 September 2000

I managed to catch an episode of this wonderful show purely by accident. We decided to stay home one Saturday afternoon, and as we were flipping around the channels, we happened across it. The first thing I heard was the voice of the host, Craig Charles, that I immediately recognized from another wonderful show, Red Dwarf. My girlfriend was ready to keep on going around the dial, but I wanted to watch, mainly because I like Craig so much. He's just plain cool! So we watched the show, and it was amazing! It's like...as we Americans talk about how it'd be cool to do this or that, and it's usually just talk, the Brits are getting out into the garage, and actually building this stuff, and finding their way onto international television, as well!

Hey, I'm gonna have to subscribe to TV Guide so I can find out when and where this shows going to be on again.

Peace!

Great Show

Author: screenman from United Kingdom
19 August 2010

'Robot Wars' was a highly entertaining piece of TV. It was actually a serious sport of sorts, but hyped into very provocative entertainment.

Contenstants pitted their designing skills and combative wits against each other with contraptions that they had lovingly crafted and built. For most it was a short, shredding debacle. The hours and hours of time and ingenuity all too often ended in peremptory and almost heart-rending destruction.

We saw some amazing machines, each employing a preferred asset: armour, speed, weapons, or a combination, and some mighty conflicts took place. Sometimes victory was to no avail. The programme employed a variety of extremely robust 'house' robots that were not above trashing the winner.

I think the series reached its own natural, evolutionary conclusion. In the arms-race, machines became so potent and well-designed that they could safely progress no further.

A sadly-missed and highly entertaining effort, though - largely courtesy of Joe Public. These were Britons who really did had talent.

Great show about Robots

Author: Bas (netstory@angelfire.com) from Zaandam, Holland
27 May 1999

It's a great show, robots fighting each other. Then there are the house robots... very strong robots. All robots have to move through a course and fight each other, at the end of the show there's a finale. The best robot's are fighting each other and the house robots are also there.

Destruction at it's best

Author: Angelus2 from United Kingdom
14 November 2009

For me this was part of my schedule on a Friday, I was only nine or ten and this show excited me and my brothers.

Contestants design robots and well, fight..

It's full of rage and anarchy as robots slice, chop, and blow through each other to get go the finals, but the contestants not only have to worry about their opponents and the trap's within the arena floor, but the infamous 'House Robots', the worst of the worst. How, we jumped in joy if a contestant accidentally entered the space of Matilda, Shunt, Dead Metal (My personal favourite) or Sir Killalot.

Great memories..

Fantastic entertainment!

Author: Infofreak from Perth, Australia
5 January 2002

At the moment in Australia we are in the non-ratings period so all kinds of unfamiliar shows are showing up at odd times. Most are dreck, 'Robot Wars' isn't. It's actually one of the most entertaining TV shows I've seen in quite a while. The basic idea is that contestants build their own "robots" (remote controlled fighting machine on wheels) which then battle each other in a ring. The ring contains obstacles, "house robots" which can attack at certain times, and a pit in which you must attempt to push your opponent's robot. Simple concept, but highly addictive viewing! Maybe I'll get sick of it after a few more weeks, but right now I'm hooked. Great fun!

Great fun

Author: mike-ryan455 from United States
20 September 2013

They don't make shows like this any more - and that's a great pity. This is a game show where people bring in the robots they have made and fight them while trying to not get killed by the house robots. It's kind of like boxing or pro-wrestling when nobody actually gets hurt so the robots fight violently and then everyone is quite civilized after.

It's entertainment for the whole family. In fact, whole families often run their teams including grandparents and little kids. It's also inspirational to get kids interested in engineering and computers. They have a really funny announcer too.

The USA versions are fun but this is more fun. They have

If you can catch this on reruns, try it. You may well like it.

Oh, my fav's are Razer (of course) and Bigger Brother.

Good entertainment

Author: HORROR_FAN_1 from Liverpool, England
12 April 2004

A very short summary.

Granny's revenge is trash.

Razer is the ultimate robot, it seems to be able to go through anything with it's lethal injections. The way it lost against tornado was a travesty. Without the shielding tornado would have been torn apart. Whoever built razer is a genius.

Wheelie big cheese was a good robot, never really seen a robot blasted out of the arena before. Wish it would have settled under grannys revenge and hand shanked it right through the roof. Sick of that crap robot.

9/10 for entertainment. Good series.