IMDb > Runaway Bride (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Runaway Bride

Runaway Bride More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 26: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Above average romatic comedy

Author: leon-67 from cardiff wales
24 October 1999

Well I must say this movie surprised me. I can be a bit of a cynic, so I was dragged by friends to see this film, expecting it to be the usual dross but i came out smiling and feeling good. Frankly, this film will make you smile.

The interaction between Gere and Roberts is good, and the dialouge is very snappy, it is funny and deals with an interesting subject, the fact that Roberts enjoys flirting and attention but finds it hard to commit to anyway. There are funny parts as well and I definately recommend this movie if you're feeling low, or for a date it is excellent. It isn't a film which will change your life, you probably won't put it in your fave movie list but it is definately a cool movie. And I may be in the minority but I thought it was better than Pretty Woman.

Hasn't anyone noticed that this is a remake of It Happened One Night?

Author: rose-84 from N. Andover, MA
7 October 1999

This is an uncredited remake of It Happened One Night, except that the female lead is running away from her suitors instead of her father, but is "trailed" by a seasoned reporter who falls in love with her. I'm surprised that this "concept" film that was 10 years in the make-up is just a pallid imitation of an old theme. Let's face it, Richard Gere is no Clark Gable, and Julia Roberts does not have Claudette Colbert's sophistication or comic timing. Today's fluff does not measure up to the crisp dialogue and pacing of the earlier feature. I know that there are only so many variations on the "boy meets girl" story, but to release this as if it's something fresh and new is an insult to my intelligence.

everything we expected

Author: Michael Radcliffe from Perth, Australia
21 September 1999

Nobody going to see Runaway Bride could be surprised at what they saw. It really was Pretty Woman again; not in the sense that the story was the same but that it was a romantic fairy tale. I've read the previous comments and they are nearly all correct (whether you like the film or not).

No it certainly lacked some of the freshness and sparkle of P.W. but P.W. was just soooo good. You certainly can't help but love the chemistry between Julia Roberts and Richard Gere, echoes of Hepburn/Tracey. The film is full of cliches , not just the dialogue but the sets, the characters , the music but isn't that what good comedy is? You know what's coming and you laugh even before the punch line! My wife and I are both romantics so we are predisposed to like this kind of movie and like it we did ,a lot.

Its not the greatest movie ever made but then not many movies are, in that context but well worth seeing. (if you are too macho to enjoy it just think of the brownie points you will earn by taking your wife/girlfriend to see it. It's well worth seeing her enjoyment. 7/10

Runaway Bride ran away with me

Author: grammie-2 from Montgomery Village, Maryland
18 September 1999

Just got back from seeing this movie for the second time and I'd go for a third. Roberts and Gere play well together, they sparkle and steam all at the same time. It's not Pretty Woman, but I didn't expect it to be. Runaway Bride was romantic without being sappy and funny without being crude. Joan Cusask was her usual quirky self and a pleasure to watch. Hector Elizondo is as charming as ever. Seeing Sela Ward, however briefly, is always a treat.

Great romantic film!!! says teen

Author: SRVHS from Danville, CA
17 September 1999

I give this movie two thumbs up. It gives the perfect mixture of romance and comedy with out getting too mushy.Richard Gere and Julia Roberts were amazing. This movie was one of the best romantic comedies I have seen since Pretty Woman.

Richard and Julia make the perfect couple for this movie.Richard plays a news paper columnist from the city,while Julia plays a"handy man"from the country who often leaves her fiances at the alter.They finally meet when Richard finds out about Julia from a friend and decides to write a column.

This movie was full of surprises. One minute they hate each other then next they are in love. One minute they are getting married then next she is on a FED EX truck.

The runaway bride is a fun experience that will keep your interest. This movie has a very simple plot with plenty of entertainment. Richard Gere and Julia Roberts will keep you laughing with there witty remarks. By Lauren

Kristian San Ramon Valley High School Student

Author: SRVHS
17 September 1999

In the movie "Runaway Bride" I found it to be well acted of course by Julia Roberts and Richard Geere. I also found Runaway Bride had a funny, charming kind of dialuge. Runaway Bride was well performed and charming yet at the same time funny.

Julia Roberts and Richard Geere I think held up to Preety Women. They are a great team and I'd like to see them in more movies together. When I say that Julia Roberts and Richard Geere held up to Preety Women I mean that movie was just as good or better. I also think the charcters they played were meant to be performed by them.

Runaway Bride was charming yet funny.. For instance after Julia and Richard kiss in the chapel and her fiancee breaks up with her I found it charming yet funny when after all that Richard is like "Well, you got the chapel and the dress well why don't you and I you know." and Julia Roberts is like "yeah I could go for that!" I found it charming yet funny because of the way they said it and the expressions they were making.

For my conclusion I would have to say I think this movie was meant for Julia Roberts and Richard Geere. If you haven't seen it, you have to go see it as soon as possible.

Stacy says that "Runaway Bride" is a must see.

Author: SRVHS
17 September 1999

I believe that "Runaway Bride" would have to be one of the most romantic comedys put out this summer. Julia Roberts and Richard gear did a fabulous job. They have always worked well together. I think that "Runaway Bride was a very romantic movie. I believe this for many different reasons. One for example would have to be the scene when Magie and Ike are playing cards together. Then you see Magie jumping up and down laughing, because she finally won. I think this was a romantic scene because you could tell by the way they act towards each other that they really like each other. Another romantic scene would hav to be when their dancing on the balcony. I think that's a romantic scene because their dancing, and I think it's very romantic. I think if anyone likes a romantic movie this is definitely one you wont to see. I also feel that this movie is a comedy. One scene would have to be when Magie and Ike first meet. Magie and her friend said they would was his hair for him, but inside die it all different colors. I thought that was funny because his hair went from dark and gray to rainbow colors. Another funny scene would have to be when Magi runs in the house with the newspaper and her soon to husband places a very heavy backpack on her back, then she falls over. That was funny just because it was. If you like a little bit of comedy this movie is also good for you. So as you could possible see by now, i think this was a very romantic and funny movie. You have to go out and see it for yourself.

A runaway good time

Author: Ace-38 from Tulsa, OK
17 September 1999

"Runaway Bride" may have been the second most anticipated movie this summer. Reuniting Richard Gere and Julia Roberts, the team that made "Pretty Woman" such a hit, was the dream of probably every producer in Hollywood. Gary Marshall got them together, and the results are magical.

The plot concerns a writer for USA Today, and his story about a woman in a small town in CT. The woman has a history of leaving grooms at the altar.

Richard Gere plays the role of Ike Graham with the similar style he played his "Pretty Woman" character (there is a scene in a dress shop that is almost a rewrite of the shopping scene in "Woman"). Julia Roberts has found her talent, and has been on an acting tear as of late. Her rendition of Maggie is completely believeable, and seems to flow almost naturally.

The supporting cast is strong, led by Joan Cusack as Maggie's best friend. She steals most of the scenes she is in, even when Gere and Roberts are at their most charming.

This movie is clearly the date movie of this summer, it's quite funny and very charming. A good time can be had by all in this one.

4 out of 5

I, too, wanted to "runaway"

Author: Boomer-38 from Gaylord, MI
15 September 1999

Predictable "date" movie with few twists to differentiate it from many other cutesy love stories. The movie even had the latest stereotype; the randy senior citizen. Not the worst I've ever seen, but I doubt if -- after finishing this review -- I will have cause to think about a certain scene or memorable line from this romantic comedy. Thankfully, my lovely date for the show didn't runaway after seeing this schmaltz.

In 2nd half, avoids becoming a one-joke movie

Author: Edward Curtis from Morgantown, WV
5 September 1999

(Attn: Mild spoilers ahead)

The first half of "Runaway Bride" drags down the rating for me. It seemed a bit uneven. My initial impression of the first 15 minutes was that it was too rushed, like they wanted to get Richard Gere's character, Ike, out of New York before the audience has time to blink. After thinking about that more, though, it's not so bad. It's the rest of the first hour that particularly bugs me...once in Hale, we get so many episodes of Ike following Mags (Julia Roberts' character) around and interviewing her friends that RB threatens to become a one-joke movie. It just drags on the pace of the film. (I did like the priest's request to Mags that if she became Catholic, to confess to a different priest. :) )

Fortunately, once Mags strikes an interview deal with Ike, the film improves. The second half of Runaway Bride is funnier, and has a few good poignant/romantic moments as well. It's in their one-on-one scenes that Gere and Roberts are at their best in this film, and they show that they still work well together.

The romance element between Ike and Mags takes a while to really surface, and the last 20 minutes are rather predictable, but these are both forgivable because they are, in my view, necessary to do justice to the premise of the film.