IMDb > The White River Kid (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]

a comedy

Author: Armand from Romania
5 September 2013

basic problem of film remains the expectations, to high, of public. because it is real strange to use a splendid cast for a kind of joke without beginning or end, story or credible characters. but that is it !a comedy about nothing. isles of bizarre scenes, few beautiful images, Bob Hoskins in search of his character credibility and Antonio Banderas in a parody of Hispanic stereotype. but the worse thing is the punishment for poor Wes Bentley who must become a version of fake James Dean, charming boy with dark past , victim of a form of romantic teenager stupidity. an easy comedy about nothing. that is all. only hope - the fun for the film team.because for public remains not seductive crumbs.

This is a big turkey

Author: Richard Connema (connema@slip.net) from San Francisco
3 February 2001

Startz finally released this turkey on American television tonight. This film is a waste of good talented actors. Bob Hoskins seems lost in the film as a fake monk. In fact, I could not believe that in one scene he was dancing what is called the Texas Dance in his monk robes in an Arkansas dance hall.

The movie is a series of road vinettes that really don't make much sense. I wonder if these actors got paid for the roles. Antonio Banderos was listed as the producer. What got into him. Swoosie Kurtz a good actress was awful in her Presley hair do. No wonder this did not get a theater release.

Aims for the Coen Brothers, but fails

Author: BloodTheTelepathicDog from north dakota
16 May 2005

From the beginning, this film has a feel of a pseudo Coen Brothers flick, rich with eccentric characters and southern appeal. But the writing fails to deliver the same wit as Ethan and Joel.

Bob Hoskins owns this film, with support from an over the top Antonio Banderas. Wes Bentley and Kim Dickens were truly horrible in their roles. Neither brought any emotion or depth to their characters, strictly playing their roles blandly.

In the proper hands, this could have been on the same playing field as Raising Arizona, but the scriptwriting failed to take advantage of the eccentric southern setting, and Bently and Dickens just destroyed any decent feelings I had for this film.

All that being said, it is a decent rent. Bob Hoskins shines, overshadowing Antonio and Swoosie Kurtz was riot as an Elvis obsessed yokel, but the writing just missed one opportunity after the other.

The worst movie I have ever seen.

Author: Jonathan Davis (emory@seark.net) from Sheridan, Arkansas
6 April 2001

This is honestly the worst movie i have ever seen the only reason i watched it was because i know Daniel Treat the actor that played Elvis Wood. If it weren't for that i would have changed it quickly. please do not waste two hours out of your life change the channel when it comes on The Movie Channel.

Misguided production ruins a great story

Author: Allison from Little Rock, AR
25 September 2003

I am actually in this movie (a tiny scene with Antonio Banderas) and I still think it's one of the worst movies of all time. The feeling I got while filming and while watching was that the producers and the production crew considered this entire project beneath them. That's a shame, because the book this film is based on is sharply witty, funny, well-written, and contains a truckload of bizarre characters that should be relished by actors and moviegoers alike. Instead we get yet another stupid movie about how many rednecks we have in the South. If the actors had been encouraged to make their characters real instead of ridiculous stereotypes, the characters would be loved for their oddities, and the movie could have become a big hit, as well as a benchmark for character actors to measure future performances by. I would love to see this done by the Coen brothers, or Christopher Guest, or maybe even Tim Burton! Do yourself a favor and read the book "The Little Brothers of Saint Mortimer" by John Fergus Ryan. I wish I had a producer, I'd love to direct this story the right way.

Yes, it's a BAD movie, but AR is OK

Author: echobucket from United States
5 December 2006

Part of this movie was filmed in my hometown and I made the final cut as an extra. It's the only reason I even knew the film existed and I went to great lengths to find it. I wish I hadn't. The acting (even mine) is bad, and the writing is worse. Antonio Banderas was an executive producer on the project and that could explain why he always looked miserable on set. There was one really nice scene of Randy Travis(the cliché singing sheriff) crooning, but that apparently got left on the cutting room floor. Oh, yea, and nobody feeds humans to hogs in Arkansas. They are fed to alligators in Louisiana, just kidding. If you want to see a film about how utterly backward Arkansas is, try Sling Blade. But, honestly, we're not all simple minded hillbillys and rednecks...don't let the accent fool you.

A consummate disaster that should be avoided at all costs

Author: lucaz from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
13 May 2000

This is surely the worst film I've seen in the last decade or two. It is difficult to imagine that there is a book on which it was based because there are no characters, no plot and no purpose whatsoever. It is a master class on how NOT to write a script and on how NOT to direct a movie. Arne Glimcher had given us in 1992 "The Mambo Kings", with the same Antonio Banderas. This was a very pleasant film and we could expect for a similar result here. But due to the chaotic situation shown it is difficult to say what went wrong here. Of course, the main fault is with the script that amasses a bunch of loose characters and incidents that never relate to each other in any meaningful way. People come and go out of the film without stating what they are doing or what they were called for. If any praise should be bestowed upon anyone at all, that should go to the actors and actresses involved for the bravura and conviction with which they deliver their lines even if these lines don't mean a thing at all. A consummate disaster that should be avoided at all costs.

P U ! This movie stinks up the room!

Author: JThomas-2 from Atlanta, GA
29 October 2001

Whoever green lighted this film should be canned immediately. It sucks! Not only is it terrible, but the acting is terrible. When a film is shelved for several years before finally being released in the U.S. (and even then only on cable and video) you know it's got to be bad. This film seems to be the Hollywood Squares of films: where once decent actors go when they're past it. Or in Wes Bentley's case: where overly hyped and overrated actors start out (watch out Wes, outside of American Beauty, you've done nothing but act badly in several rotten films).

keep away from that film

Author: gombro from Poland
10 February 2007

gee I mean come on a comedy should be funny,and if not intelligent at least funny, Bob Hoskins really sucks at that film and Antonio probably did not read the script gee its really hopeless I felt that I should tell you the truth in case someone tried to watch the film :) gee I mean come on a comedy should be funny,and if not intelligent at least funny, Bob Hoskins really sucks at that film and Antonio probably did not read the script gee its really hopeless I felt that I should tell you the truth in case someone tried to watch the film :) gee I mean come on a comedy should be funny,and if not intelligent at least funny, Bob Hoskins really sucks at that film and Antonio probably did not read the script gee its really hopeless I felt that I should tell you the truth in case someone tried to watch the film :)

What on earth????

Author: Mark Seaman from Yorkshire
25 February 2001

A movie with Hoskins, Banderas, Barkin & Bentley. Can't be bad, you might think. You would be wrong. I only saw it through to the end because I was suffering from the flu, my back was welded to the sofa and my kids were out of shouting distance to pass me the remote. In all seriousness, I cannot think of any reason to suggest that anyone should watch this, it is just plain ludicrous.

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]