IMDb > "Angel" (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Angel" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 20:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Will Not Fade Away

Author: ecwjedi from Toronto
12 January 2005

Angel is a show that is going to live forever because it never gave in and changed itself around in order to be more friendly for the masses. I have no intention of giving each season or episode a number evaluation as I feel the entire body of the show is whats important. Well thought out story arcs were the norm in this amazingly diverse world inhabited by the most fleshed out characters on any TV show. A perfect example of this is the character Wesley who started as the comedic sidekick and slowly, over the seasons, transformed into a certifiable bad-ass without ever coming across as forced. Angel never treated the view like an idiot, never wrapped everything up in a nice little package after every show only to forget about the previous events in the next episode. Angel also never got stale, in part because it was cancelled in its prime by the WB for no solid reason as it was one of the highest rated shows on the network. Every season seemed to get a little better with the fifth, and final, season being the best, in my humble opinion. The show has become like an old friend to me which I can visit from time to time to remember what TV should strive to be like and to see an example of great story telling. In a time when TV is turning into a wasteland of trends and shows that do nothing but recycle, Angel was a bright spot which has sadly gone out. Buy the DVDs and let the show live forever as most of what else is on TV is already dead.

Best show ever!

Author: neloangelo316 ( from Puerto Rico
23 September 2004

I've been following the Buffy series until the end,so when I heard of this 'spin-off' I was actually pretty psyched about it.Damn it was I wrong.This show completely blows off the doors of it's predeccesor in many ways,mainly the ambiance.It's not so cutesy as Buffy,but it has an awesome sense of humor and character development.It's really great seeing Angel change through out the show.Every character evolves,but Wesley was the most drastic change of all.He goes from a wimpy guy to this battle-hardened warrior.Everything about this show should appeal to people:awesome battles,amazing characters,incredibly funny humor,and a great,cohesive story that never seems to contradict itself.This series rocks more than anything that has ever rocked before.David Boreanaz,dude you really outdid yourself.

Loved 'Angel' from 1999-2004

Author: Elson321 from United Kingdom
8 May 2005

What can i say different from any other 'Angel' fan. This was one of the best shows around from 1999-2004. Great acting by David Boreanez (who carried Angel forward) and from the rest of the cast. Excellent story lines telling of Angel's path to redemption; and, flashbacks that reveal to us his former evil life that brought people suffering, torture and death when he did not have a soul. Great development of the Wesley character. Much better than Buffy and worth owning on DVD. There was the occasional bad episode but the many good ones made up for it. Watch it and cherish it.

Catch the re-runs when they come on. It's worth it.

My vote = 9/10

A Gem of a show.

Author: eamon-hennedy ( from Co Down, Northern Ireland
27 October 2003

One word:fantastic. It sums up Angel perfectly, it is that rarity, a spin-off show that is better than the series that it came from and that really is saying something. Everything about this show is perfect. The casting, the writing, the directing, the special make up effects, I can't say enough about it. Coming along during Buffy's fourth season when it started to flounder, it made it's sister series look bad by being better. Whereas Buffy started to use the gimmick (silent episode, musical episodes) and whereas they were very, very, good (they were written and directed by Joss Whedon after all), Angel was just being a great show that was telling great stories. Doyle's sacrifice, Darla's pregnancy, Holtz's revenge, Wesley's betrayal, the apocalypse and Cordy turning evil, all of these and more were fantastic moments that catapulted some of the most devious plotting constructed for a television show. While Joss himself has only written and directed about four episodes, it has been left to David Greenwalt and Tim Minear to steer this show into the classic realm of television and over the course the last two seasons it has really stepped out of the shadow of its sister show and has really stood well on it's own two feet.

While Buffy went of to a new channel, in this case UPN, Angel remained at its home of WB and this splitting of the two shows was more in favor of Angel, creatively. It allowed Angel to become its own show which it did magnificently. The fight scenes became really spectacular (just check out the sped up film look during the early half of season three and the Matrix style slow-mo in the second half) and the story arcs became more inspired. The inclusion of a pregnant Darla and the character of Holtz, whose family was killed by Angel over one hundred years ago, led to a fantastic third season, which had a fantastic, yet shocking conclusion, while season four was the best wielding the biggest story arc of it's history which pitted the gang against the Beast, an evil Cordy and eventually Jasmine, played fantastically by Gina Torres.

The cast has also developed sublimely over the past four seasons. The inclusion of a supporting cast created especially for the show like Gunn, Fred and Lorne (my favorite of them all) has led to a fantastic ensemble, while Angel, Cordy and Wesley have all developed in wonderful ways over the past four seasons, while Glenn Quinn was superb in his nine episode stint in the first season. What a shame he died so young.

If you have yet to treat yourself to the delights of this show, please do, because that is exactly what it is. A treat.

Fresh blood...

Author: Rioter (
26 January 2002

When Angel (David Boreanaz) left Buffy: The Vampire Slayer for good in 1999, there was some concern over whether or not he'd be able to carry his own show. Certainly, the tortured vampire is a powerful character, but he seemed dependent on Buffy's (Sarah Michelle Gellar) presence, and the supporting cast seemed to be made up of the fat trimmed off Buffy: TVS after the end of the high school years.

Now, as Angel: The Series is in its third season, and Buffy: TVS in its sixth, those concerns seem unfounded. Angel is now, arguably superior, though it lacks the audience of the original show. The supporting cast has been fleshed out, most notably in the case of Cordelia Chase. (Charisma Carpenter) Once a snobby, Sunnydale rich girl, the Los Angeles years have turned Cordelia into a genuine, loving person. Angel and Cordelia are joined by Wesley Wyndham-Pryce (Alexis Denisof), a fallen Watcher, and another Buffy alum, Charles Gunn (J. August Richards) a vampire-hunting former gang member, and alternate-dimension refugee Fred Burkle (Amy Acker).

While it seems the original series is showing its age, Angel has been in high gear for nearly three complete seasons. The show lacks the goofy humor of Buffy, instead opting for a darker tone, as the characters strive for redemption and direction in a city that seems to encourage neither. Now that Buffy has moved away from the WB, fans have to go out of their way to continue to watch Angel. Do so, because it is certainly worth the effort.

A Good Show

Author: zedthedestroyer from Chicago
20 April 2001

I usually prefer "Angel" over "Buffy" - darker, complex characters; a minimum of quirky Scooby-speak; and it's more violent, definitely more violent.

David Boreanaz carries the show well. His character is more interesting when he's darker. Unfortunately, he wouldn't have a supporting cast if he remained that way. Charisma Carpenter, who played a relatively two-dimensional character for 3 years on "Buffy", really comes into her own on this show, adding depth to Cordelia and proving that she can act rings around Sarah Michelle Gellar. Alexis Denisof has done a good job of making me forget that Wesley was an uptight, stiff-upper-lip comedic relief in the previous series, and turned him into a more likeable, stronger character - almost a younger version of Giles. Recently, the writers have been ignoring Gunn in favor of regular guest stars Lindsey and Darla. Now maybe that particular story arc is over, they'll give J August Richards more to do.

This series is strong and deserves to stand on it's own merits, not simply as a "spin-off".

A spin-off from a show based on a B-movie...

Author: A-Ron-2 from Storrs, CT
19 July 2000

With that in mind, this is an excellent show. While I do not feel that Angel has necessarily bested Forever Knight yet, I think that it very well might. The show manages to balance the fearsomeness of the supernatural undertones with a certain exuberance and delight that I am definitely impressed with. The show can be truly funny.

Angel is not a typical horror show, as it deals much more with human relations than it deals with the supernatural. And it deals with human relations in a much more mature and intelligent manner than most so-called dramas on TV. I must admit that I was skeptical when I heard all the praise being heaped on this show by critics before it started, but they were right. Between Angel and Buffy, I don't really think that any other network touches the WB for pure creative output.

I am impressed with the direction that this station has taken, and hope that they continue in the future.

Angel is the best show ever!!!

Author: lauralunatic from United States
10 February 2006

When the show premiered back in 1999 fans were introduced to a show that was dark, edgy, intelligent, and just plain awesome in all the ways that a television show should be. Angel was not just an hour of entertainment, it was something that made your life better when you watched it. And in the course of half a decade the show presented brilliant characters, extraordinary stories, amazing dialogue, and last but not least, possibly the best show ever to hit television. It was for all these reasons that its loss left many fans heartbroken.

But if there was one thing that Angel made perfectly clear it is that the fight never ends. The story of the tortured vampire with a soul, Angel, unfortunately did not meet its end, since the evil WB took it off the air. So the rest of the life, or unlife, as I should say, of the infamous vampire with the soul was left up to the fans to finish the story of Angel in any way that they liked.

A Worthy Spin-Off

Author: BloodyValNtine913 from Toledo, Ohio
26 March 2003

When I heard that Angel was leaving the show, I was heartbroken. When I heard that he would have his own show, I was a little happier, but still worried. Could it at all compare to the genius of Buffy? As soon as I saw the first episode, one thing came to mind: "This is different from Buffy." Remember, dear children, different does not always mean bad. I love Angel almost as much as Buffy (and sometimes more). These characters are more grown-up than Buffy's, which can be good, but also takes away the youthful, naive, happy-go-lucky, pop culture referencing fun. It does, however, have its own charm. For instance, the long feud with lawyers Wolfram and Hart, the Karitas karaoke bar, and all their witty puns and entendres. This show has gone its own way, and in my opinion, it's all good.

Best show in it's genre

Author: Benjamin from Netherlands
25 March 2005

If you asked me a year ago what Angel was then i wouldn't of have a clue, now it's 1 of my favorite shows.

I never had much interest in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the story sounded pretty much stupid, i mean a teenage girl with superhuman powers doesn't really sound that great, at least not to me.

I started watching it about a year ago though, the first 4 seasons were being repeated late at night, and since there wasn't much on i started to watch it, all characters were decent, but really nothing special, except for Angel, this guy had a past, a real mission, he was hurt by his past and tried to do good in the world, to redeem himself.

The series Angel is nothing like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, it's much more mature and dark, they don't fight because they have to, but they fight because they choose to, every single one of them risk their life to help the helpless.

The action is good, the comedy is great and so is the drama, they did a excellent mix of the 3, the sets and make-up are very professional, and the character development has been done very well, overall i just have nothing bad to say about this show, except it being cancelled after 5 seasons, 1 of the biggest mistakes ever.

Personally i think everyone should see the first few episodes, i'm sure there are people out there that won't like it, but don't let the idea of demons and all keep you away from this show, it's truly 1 of the best shows around and deserves to be checked out by everyone.

Page 1 of 20:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]