IMDb > The Dentist 2 (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Smile.....

Author: LCParkes from Brighton, England
3 October 2001

Brian Yuzna is cast as a saviour by genre fans, and "The Dentist 2", along with the cherished "Society" might give you some idea why. Although the film offers little that could not be found in its prequel, it is somewhat better made, efficently exploiting dentophobia and riffing on the trust involved in a doctor-patient relationship. For the gorehounds, suffice to say three of the four people I watched this with walked out in disgust: taking the place of traditional death sequences are gleeful bouts of unanaesthetised dental destruction, performed with the aid of convincing models in unflinching close up. By this second outing Corbin Bernstein is really inhabiting the role of Dr. Feinstone, and his affectionately campy turn provides the film with much of its drive and humour. in one hilarious sequence he desperately admonishes himself in the shower: "nutCASE, nutBALL, wacko, loony..."

Though self evidently not to all tastes, this film certainly hits a nerve (sorry, that was accidental) and is made with some intelligence and respect for its intended audience. check.

Not better than the first, but a worthy sequel

Author: Adam E from Longwood, Florida
13 December 1998

Debuting on HBO like the first surprise, this is a pretty good sequel that brings that lunatic dentist (Corbin Bernsen) back in business after escaping a mental hospital and hiding in a quiet town, where he murders the dentist around the town because the guy did a poor job at filling one of his teeth in. He impresses the people in town and woos a lady he's madly in love with, but then goes psycho and takes his madness out on his patients when he finds the girl he loves kissing a guy. There are scenes that make you laugh and dentist torture scenes that will make you cringe. Corbin Bernsen is great as the dentist and delivers a lot of good lines. Between the first and second half, the pace moved a bit slow, but if you liked the first one and can take watching close-ups of teeth being either drilled or yanked out, you should enjoy this strange, campy film.

Not a patch on the original.

Author: Snake-666 from England
27 October 2003

In this sequel to the surprisingly enjoyable 1996 original, Dr. Feinstone (Corbin Bernsen) escapes from a mental institution and heads to small town named Paradise. Continuing the IRS sub-plot from the first movie, Feinstone assumes the identity of Dr. Lawrence Caine - an identity concocted by Feinstone so that he could secretly stash away his assets without fear of the tax man getting to them. Caine (as he is now) pretends to have retired from big-city dentistry but is soon asked to become the town's dentist after the previous one is killed in an apparent accident. Caine reluctantly accepts the job, but soon falls to his psychotic urges and another brutal bloodbath begins.

This sequel unfortunately removes much of the fun elements that were so apparent in the original. Instead, 'The Dentist 2' seems to be more of an attempt at portraying Feinstone/Caine's activities from a more psychological standpoint. While the lack of background somewhat harmed the original, the over-emphasis on Caine's madness is what makes this movie rather tedious. As in the original, there are some shocking, gory and repulsive scenes of dental torture that should please gore fans but, alas, the movie's pacing is so slow that it becomes a chore to watch. The movie also suffers from multiple moments of implausibility, particularly at the very end where the film becomes so abstract and bizarre that one is left to question what was originally established; this is not a good thing. For all the storytelling and plot-flaws, Yuzna's direction is on-par once again and in the few moments where 'The Dentist 2' picks-up, the movie does become exciting and intriguing. Unfortunately these moments are spaced far too far apart from each other.

Corbin Bernsen is excellent once again as the sadistic, and seriously disturbed, dentist. Without Bernsen's exceptional ability at bringing to life the character of Dr. Feinstone/Caine I'd have to believe that this movie would come off as far worse than it is. Once again Bernsen credibly and convincingly portrays the almost demonic dentist and relies very little on the supporting cast. Linda Hoffman also returns as the unfaithful wife, but the story which brings her into the film seems completely tacked on just to give her a role. Jillian McWhirter was surprisingly good as the sexy love interest for Bernsen and is the only character the audience can really feel any sympathy for. The rest of the cast were very poor in their roles, though one may question if that had much to do with the script. It was virtually impossible to empathise with any of the characters unlike the original. At some points it was almost painful to watch and one wished that Feinstone dispatched his victims much quicker than he actually did.

Despite a far more sadistic Feinstone character and some good effects and death scenes, 'The Dentist 2' was relatively dull and retained little of the charm that the original possessed. For fans of 'The Dentist' (1996) this film is worth watching once, though I think that many will be disappointed. Bernsen's performance is the main highlight and although it is easy to find the over-emphasis on Feinstone's mental problems an annoyance, Bernsen's performance makes it somewhat tolerable. 'The Dentist 2' is a slow paced yet occasionally interesting and generally well directed movie. My rating for 'The Dentist 2: Brace Yourself' – 4/10.

Same ol' game...

Author: very_doubtful
6 July 2000

...but not worse than the first Dentist. Actually, I think this sequel is even slightly better than the original (a rare thing to happen in the horror genre). Sure, there's nothing new about this film, but as I already told you: it's not worse than the first.

Dr. Feinstone (Corbin Bernsen) has escaped a mental hospital and continues his work in a small town called 'Paradise' after getting rid of the local dentist. But soon his itchy drill finger starts to mutilate his patients in another series of disgustingly elaborate drill & kill scenes.

Again, Corbin Bernsen does an excellent job as the psycho-dentist. And again, this film delivers very weird entertainment and gore galore. The ending leaves the possibility of another sequel.

If you have a slightly sick sense of humor you might like it, especially if you liked the first Dentist.

My rating: 4/10

Corbin Bernstin is ready for another round or torturing patients!!

Author: movieman-74
19 January 1999

This movie is basically the same as the first. He falls in love with girl, girl finds another guy, dentist takes revenge!! I'm not saying it wasn't any good but I am saying if you hated the first than you'll probably hate this one because there is not much difference but if you loved the first one then you'll love this one. Although his wife got her tongue cut off in The dentist I she is still alive and does she still want revenge in the dentist 2? Well find out and see The Dentist II. It gets ** stars out of 4.

Uhhh...

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
13 August 2001

Well, all I have to say is that this was an interesting movie to watch. My friend had told me about this movie and how much it grossed her out with the opening scene, and I was in the mood for a good gory flick. I actually in some sick way enjoyed this movie and I think other horror fans or a small fan base for the Dentist movies will like it.

Basically, Dr. Feinstone is back in business, he has escaped from the mental institution and moves to "Paradise", a small town where people seem to enjoy each other's company and where they know everyone. He has changed his name to Allen Craine, he moves into a guest house and meets a beautiful girl, Jaime. But when his past slowly starts to creep back up, he starts to go crazy again. He does his best to pull it together, but he ends up murdering the local dentist and becomes the town's new doctor. But when people start to find out more and his ex wife comes back, his madness goes too far and makes him go just mad.

The effects are kind of lame, but honestly, it was a fun and gory movie to watch. It's just your typical horror movie, but with some fun twists and a new plot. After all, 45 million Americans are afraid of the dentist, I'd say this movie might help that number grow.

More of the same, only worse.

Author: capkronos (capkronos00@hotmail.com) from Ohio, USA
20 May 2003

After escaping from a mental institution, Dr. Allen Feinstone (Corbin Bernsen) moves on to the small Midwestern town of Paradise and becomes Dr. Lawrence Caine. Unsuccessfully trying to fight off personal demons and homicidal thoughts, the deranged doctor finally snaps, kills the town's only dentist and takes over his business, which results in several gory murders. Meanwhile his ex-wife Brooke (Linda Hoffman, returning from the original) is out for revenge.

This direct-to-video sequel manages to out repulse the previous entry with lots of gory close-ups of teeth being yanked out or chewed up with a drill, needles going into skin, cut out tongues and more. Most of the supporting cast are as grating as the non-stop dental tool background soundtrack. If you want gore and no more, you got it here.

There HAD to be a sequel!

Author: ray-280 from Philadelphia
5 March 2007

Corbin Bernsen returns as the dentist who snapped when his wife had an affair and killed a bunch of people in gruesome fashion. Our "hero" manages to escape prison and resume life as a dentist in a quiet, unsuspecting suburban town with a police force that makes a soap opera cop look smart.

The cast has few notables beyond Bernsen, but his over-the-top performance takes this film to the mediocre yet very bloody and gory heights it aimed at. We don't get a movie that tries to be great, or even acutes who take the plot that seriously. What we get is what we expect: to be thrilled, chilled, repulsed, and petrified by the mixture of murder, mayhem, and dental equipment.

That we laugh and cheer when the hapless innocents are so deliciously dispatched in films like this is something for the psychs to wonder about, but until they figure it out, I'll be hooting and hollering right along with them.

If it didn't have tons of killing and gallons of blood, it would be good clean fun, but instead this movie is just good fun. Good, gory fun.

Enjoy when you have nothing better to do and want to see some torture and killing on screen.

kenny G

Author: agamemnon3 from United States
21 August 2006

I don't like going to the dentist. Every time I sit in that chair with my head cocked back at a weird angle and those people with their paper masks come in and start scraping and spraying and rinsing and talking about their kids, I just get wigged out. This one dentist I used to go to, he thought it would be a good idea to put video games in his lobby, like that's gonna make everything better or change the fact that some guy is gonna be sticking a drill into my jaw in ten minutes. And the magazines are always crap, like Golf Digest and Prevention.

That being said, Dentist 2 is pretty good. In fact, I'd say it's just as good as the original. A third wouldn't be bad. It takes that squeaky clean/award-winning smile/elevator music voice kind of a facade your dentist has and twists it up, preying on everyone's deepest secret fear, the dentist. I like the last scene where he walks in on the party and everyone there is freaked when he strolls by with a load of nails in his head. I liked that ending, death by nail gun (well maybe she thought it would kill him). The torture scenes aren't too graphic. It's overall worth your time if you like the horror genre.

Watching The Dentist on the screen surely beats the real thing.

A great sequel to a great original

Author: vivalaricicles
19 February 2005

Already I'm quite biased to this film as it is one of my all time faveourite horrors (and Brian Yuzna rules). However, this film still provides 90 odd minutes of mouth-bleeding madness for those who just want a bit of horror entertainment. If you enjoyed the first Dentist, this is well worth checking out as it eclipses the original movie by far, upping the ante in terms of gore, madness and bonkers direction courtesy of splatter master Brian Yuzna. However, if the you thought the first Dentist was awful or (if you're squeamish) a bit too gory, stay well away! This is definitely not for the faint hearted. All in all, a superb sequel to an ace original and well worth checking out if you're a horror fan (even if you're not I recommend it though).

My fan-boy rating- 10/10