IMDb > Bleeder (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Bleeder More at IMDbPro »

Dark and realistic.

Author: Finntroll from Turku, Finland
25 June 2004

Nicolas Winding Refn, the genius behind the excellent "Pusher" sets new standards for danish movies with his new opus "Bleeder". Leo, played by the magnificent actor Kim Bodnia, is gradually going insane as his wife gets pregnant. He feels his life fade away and asks himself how he can put a child into a world that's raw and how they can afford to have one.

The atmosphere is two parts Scorcese's "Taxi Driver" and one part Franz Kafka's "Der Prozess", not very moody in other words. A sub-story about Leo's buddy searching for a girl relieves the pressure a bit, which is for the better as it also adds depth to the movie.

The violence feels very realistic and is sometimes even hard to watch, it's like it all is happening for real. The realistic approach makes this movie feel fresh and not like something you've seen before. After I saw this movie I was left with an uneasy feeling in my stomach and I knew I've seen something very rear and very good.

Nicolas Winding Refn is worth the highest of praise for making a movie like this. It's just what European moviemaking needs.

'Bleeder' is a powerful and unforgettable movie comparable to the films of Gaspar Noe. Depressing yes, but highly recommended viewing.

Author: Infofreak from Perth, Australia
19 February 2004

As much as I enjoyed the super-hyped Dogma movies 'Festen', and 'Mifune', going by 'Bleeder' the real Danish director to watch is Nicolas Refn. He's an exciting talent, and will probably give Lars Von Trier a run for his money in a few films time. 'Bleeder' features a superb performance from Kim Bodnia ('Nattevagten'). He plays Leo, a guy who on the surface seems pretty normal, but who begins to crack up after his girlfriend Louise (Rikke Louise Andersson) unexpectedly announces her pregnancy, and he witnesses a shooting. This begins a descent into a living hell. The movie's bleak and depressing world view is balanced by the bittersweet sub-plot concerning video nerd Lenny (Mads Mikkelsen), and his attempt to "get a life". The scenes showing Lenny working in a to-die-for video store will make most film buffs drool! Lenny rattles off the stores inventory in a funny scene, and the movie is full of film talk from Lindsay Anderson to Fred Williamson, and even includes clips from William Lustig's exploitation classics 'Maniac' and 'Vigilante'. Refn definitely knows his stuff! 'Bleeder' is a powerful and unforgettable movie comparable to the films of Gaspar Noe ('I Stand Alone', 'Irreversible') and Gary Oldman's 'Nil by Mouth'. Depressing yes, but highly recommended viewing.

Intense!!!!

Author: Johan Barrander from Malmö, Sweden
10 August 1999

So I travel from Sweden to Copenhagen to see a movie, paying about 15 bucks for the trip, and another 10 for the movie. 25 bucks for a movie???? Was it worth it????

Damn right it was, this is Nicholas Winding Refn´s second feature, and after his masterful debut: Pusher I really had my hopes up. And boy was it good.

The tempo is a little slower than Pusher, but it really suits the movie. It´s got great dialogue that kinda reminded me of Clerks in some places, especially the scenes in the videostore. The theme of the movie in my mind is about men, and our problems with talking to each other and to women. Sure there are scenes with really disturbing and realistic violence. But I feel it has more in common with John Cassavettes, than Abel Ferrara and Martin Scorsese that I think were refn inspirations for Pusher.

The actors are brilliant all around, especially Mads Mikkelsen who does a fantastic performance as a filmgeek, with major problems when it comes to talking and being around girls. And Kim Bodnia gives a really introspective performance that proves his status as one of europe´s if not the whole worlds best actors.

All in all a very powerful, and intense movie that is a must see

Fantastic and real

Author: busdog from London
27 May 2004

A complete surprise. Had no idea what I was getting into. As fine as anything by Scorcese, with some similarities to Taxi Driver. An enormous breath of fresh air compared to the awful Hollywood machine. The scenes are real, intense, sometimes violent, always moving. Geniune. This film maker is the real thing. The acting is impeccable. I personally don't care much for symbolism, meta-cinema or the like, but instead prefer a real and dramatic experience. This movie provides all of the above--and that is a rare treat. Someone compared this to Kubrick--there is some of that but what is really different here is the emotion. Kubrick is always (or almost always) dry, sterile, unemotional, stiff. Bleeder is moving--it even at times has some of the emotionalism of a melodrama, but it always remains a drama.

Excellent

Author: thebogofeternalstench from New Zealand
6 August 2010

I remember seeing Bleeder way back in 2004, it was one of the first international films I saw via a DVD shop in UK.

I was becoming incredibly pi$$ed off and fed up with Hollywood mainstream crap at the cinema and on DVD so I ventured into international cinema.

After I saw Bleeder, I felt a wave of awesomeness go over me. I felt alive. It was one of the best films I'd seen in YEARS.

It was so refreshing and meaningful. Packed with substance.

I was very impressed with the acting.

Since then, I've become a big fan of Refn, and I absolutely love the Pusher trilogy.

Its a shame gems like Bleeder never get the recognition they deserve, but plastic hollow over rated Hollywood $hit does.

Top film. See it!!!!!

Forget all that Dogme-hype cuz this one blows'em away!!

Author: Jens Kofoed-Pihl from Copenhagen, Denmark
5 June 1999

The director's debut, "Pusher", was an excellent tribute to American Cinema (Abel Ferrara, Scorsese) and a portrait of the drugworld of Copenhagen but "Bleeder" is much more personal, mature and grim film. The story deals with the relationship of four friends (& B-filmfanatics); a videostoreowner, his helper, a soon-be-a-dad and his girl's violent brother. Things gets complicated between the last two when the guy starts beatin' his pregnant girl and the brother's threatin' to retaliate. When the girl loses her unborn baby after a beatin' things get VERY ugly! There's no real reason for the violence which makes the mood of the movie extremely creepy. The characters and dialogue are very believable and impossible to forget. The few (very) violent scenes are so unexpected that you'll jump in seat. The film are also filled with nods to exploitation cinema (clip from Lustig's "Maniac" & "Vigilante", "Andy Warhol's Frankenstein" etc.). It's made on a low budget but is beautifully filmed (and acted) with a great glampunk soundtrack. "Bleeder" is a movie that gets under your skin for days so check out this masterpiece.

Good!

Author: dusan-22 from Serbia
14 April 2010

When Nicolas Winding Refn gets Zlatko Buric, Mads Mikkelsen and Kim Bodnia together a good movie is a must. Please, disregard narrow IMDb genre classification of the film as "Horror" or "Thriller" as it is the way the movie looks to some five year old child who has not understood anything seen. This art work is a modern life drama colored by David Lynch camera and portrayed by spirit of Bunuel. Excellent art work by well known Danish film school. I said "modern" drama since the movie is getting into the core of the present social structure of the modern world. It shows a depressive slice of our little lives that are being cultivated in silence of violence, loneliness, alienation and lost life course, leading to self-destruction. Dark as our presence. One more good job for Nicolas Winding Refn.

Good, but not great...

Author: McBuff from Slagelse, Denmark
4 April 2001

Expectations were high following Refn´s knockout debut "Pusher". The gritty realism of that movie is in part recreated in "Bleeder", but instead of just treading water and doing a Pusher remake, this is much more stylish in its theme and cinematography (e.g. the main characters´ names all start with L; Leo, Lenny, Lea etc. - almost every image seems meticulously composed and lit). The soundtrack seems to be more carefully chosen, supporting the emotions of the characters, seen in the great opening sequence. What ultimately makes Bleeder a minor film compared to Pusher, despite brilliant performances and a downbeat, even oppressive atmosphere, is a fatal lack of the kinetic energy of Pusher, which makes Bleeder a bit dull in spots. The scenes in the video store remind you of Clerks, but are not as funny, and a true movie fan would never mistake blaxploitation star Fred Williamson for Fred Williams (as mentioned in a scene between Bodnia and Mikkelsen), especially considering the hilarious scene in which Mikkelsen incredibly lists the video store´s selection of 50+ schlock directors. I admit that Bleeder has a way of staying with you afterwards, but I had expected a bit more from Refn. Rumours of star Bodnia being committed to a mental institution following the final days of shooting were false and exaggerated by the tabloid press.

Kim Bodnia is a great actor.

Author: martymaster from Fredrikstad, Norway
2 September 2002

This movie is dark and real.Its about a man who has nothing to live for.And it only gets worse.This is the movie that makes you think about how good your life actually is and that there is a lot of people who have it worse.Thanks to another great performance by Kim Bodnia this movie will stick with you for days.

Fascinating Study of Human Relationships

Author: edward_tan from Singapore
16 April 2000

Detractors may highlight the unnecessary violence in this stylish piece of film-making. But pay them no attention. N. Refn's 2nd feature is cutting it pretty close when it comes to assessing life's terrible lessons.

Using almost the same cast as he did in his debut (Pusher), Bleeder tells the story of how a father-to-be deals with his impending fate. It addresses his current state of mind, his readjustment of values and how all this would adversely affect the people around him. The violence is necessary as the characters emanate from the streets and one can only infer, from the several scenes, that the neighbourhood is rough and littered with gangs and racial tension.

There is also a secondary story about the budding relationship between a video store clerk and a well-read waitress which is as sweet as it is subtle. It's interesting to note that their tastes in videos and books are pretty gritty as well.