IMDb > "Any Day Now" (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Any Day Now" More at IMDbPro »

Best Show on TV

Author: cmercado9 from Skokie, Illinois
24 August 2003

I just started watching The Show around July. I found it by mistake, I was channel surfing during a Vacation. It is a great show, I just wish it wasn't on so late at night. It's on at 12:30 AM. As a working person it makes it hard to watch all the time.

I read some comments. I did not agree with the late one about not growing up in the 60's and not believing that this stuff can happen.

I grew up in the 60's. I'm Hispanic and I had a "White" boyfriend plus we had black friends in High School. I believe people get along because of their interests and personalities and it has nothing to do with being a certain race or color.

I can't wait till the show goes on DVD so I can buy it. This way I can see it from the beginning.

Life is hard and sometimes the truth hurts...but I LOVED the show!

Author: shawnlynn1 from United States
28 September 2005

Quite frankly the first assessment of this show and these girls couldn't be anymore wrong. A white girl and a black girl being friends may have been unlikely but unbelievable is something different. What the person making the first comment should have recognized and applauded was that they were friends in spite of what was going on in the "real world". In 1960 it was older white men and women like Mary Elizabeth who helped (as much as possible) to change the mistreatment of black people. Nonetheless, we are all entitled to our opinions, no matter how off the mark they maybe. For me, the show was wonderful and I am hoping and waiting for it to come out on DVD with all the other television shows.

How is it far fetched?

Author: Lee Bartholomew (sage_patrynxx@cfu.net) from Cedar Falls, IA
2 September 2003

My mom got me hooked on this show. It's very well done. My mom lived during the 60's... ahem. And I believe she befriended a girl who was black. Though when she stuck up for that person, the teachers docked my mom via her grades. Bad bad bad. This show seems real enough. Right thru the modern scenes. I like what they did with the black and color flashbacks.

The only thing I was disappointed in was the final seasons. The original girls who played Rene and M. E. Were far better than their dull replacments. :(

From the look of it, they replaced them in the final years with better known actresses, perhaps in an effort to save the show. Bad mistake.

It's such a wonderful program.

Author: David D. (USSS_Agent@hotmail.com) from Washington, DC
1 November 2003

I remember myself just sitting at home, flicking through all these cliche programs. I just fell upon a KKK meeting in black and white. I find such an interest in how these people feel they are doing a service for "their" country when all they do is disgrace our forefathers. Anyway, from that day on, I got hooked to it. It's just so realistic. It tackles so many common problems. I just loved it. Yeah, yeah, I'm a guy, but it's such a cool program. I got it here on Lifetime Networks but it comes on at around 1:30 AM to 2:30AM. Lately getting cut off by trashy and ridiculous infomercials. Anyway, if you catch an episode, just look at it. It's so... Powerful. I love the original girls that played the young Mary-Elizabeth and the young Rene. They were better than their replacements. I love Lorraine Toussaint, she just showed a power in her character, but she also had that weakness. It's hard to describe, but she great. ME played by Annie Potts is also wonderful. If nothing else, it's awesome to see their relationship and how long its been together. Even through the stupidity of segregation, they survived. This is getting too long. Long story short, I love the show. I hope that Colliar Sims (young and old) work on some new projects. As well as ME and Rene. Kelly is a nice character. Davis is okay. Ajoni is interesting. Joe, that's a hilarious guy right there. CATCH THE SHOW PEOPLE, you'll love it.

I love this show .

Author: eqla3 from saudi arabia
9 July 2001

I really love this show it's funny, heart warming & good enough to watch . Annie Potts is a stunning actress & a talented comedian as well as Lorriane Toussaint. The little girls are very good performers reflecting life in the 60's . There are many shows about close girlfriends like "The Golden Girls " & "Kate & Allie " but Any Day Now is the best.

Wonderfully Nostalgic

Author: Brian Washington (Sargebri@att.net) from Los Angeles, California
22 April 2004

Normally, I pretty much dislike anything that comes on Lifetime due to the fact that most of their show's come off as being anti-male. However, this is a wonderfully written show and it is more than just about the relationship of two young girls that grew up in the final days of segregation. Annie Potts is delightful as M.E. and Lorraine Touissant is wonderful as Rene. Touissant's performance on the show is even more incredible due to the fact that she was only a child when the flashbacks occurred. Also, Chris Mulkey is great as Collier. Even though he tries to be a tough talking beer drinker, he still gives Collier a sense of vulnerabillty. This show definitely breaks Lifetime's reputation for "man bashing" and show's that they can produce a great show.

the show is great!!!!!!!

Author: kjr02914 from birmingham alabama
16 August 2004

This show was the best i found it one day while watching lifetime it was the first episode it was the best show i have ever seen because it helps us understand no matter how bad things get like racism and etc that there is always something good to come out of everything bad.and it is good that it is a show about two women one black one white and how the had overcome that rift in their friendship and how all the stars in the show help overcome the problems Annie Potts is great as M.E.another show like any day now is the golden girls and designing women but any day now is the best i am always around to see even the reruns of the show and if I'm not i have my vcr set to tape them.

great show!

Author: Francesca from california
27 November 2003

I love this show! i watch it every night on lifetime in reruns. great story lines, i love the flashbacks. wonderful tale of friendship between two women. i would love to see this released on dvd with commentary from the creator and stars. the show pushed the envelope in some of the story lines they chose to tell. excellent!

Down to earth, reminiscent and touching.

Author: Donn-3 from Harbor City, California
12 October 1998

I had never seen the show "Any Day Now" until I did "extra" work on the show last month. I had seen advertisements of the show and was interested in seeing it. While doing the "extra" work I found the cast to be pleasant. Annie Potts is an outstanding actress who shows the quality of a veteran actor. After spending the day on the sets and then viewing the current show I was impressed with the concept of the show which made me want to watch it every Tuesday night. I hope this show stays around and grows into a familiar show to many.

great !

Author: Kris from Belgium
12 October 2001

It's only the second season over here but so far it's the best TV drama I have ever seen. The actors are great ! I can't count the times I sat and watched with tears in my eyes. It's a real emotional roller coaster.