IMDb > Steal This Movie (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Steal This Movie

Steal This Movie More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5]

Could there be a better actor than Vincent D'Onofrio today?

Author: LindaS from Overland Park, KS
18 September 2002

Good overview of the adult life of Abby Hoffman and 60's revolution. It personalized it for me. It has a nice touch in that Tom Hayden's son with Jane Fonda plays his father. Vincent D'Onofrio is a terrific actor.

Loved It

Author: graestella from United Kingdom
3 July 2005

Once again we get the bad reviews from the nay sayers. Did they actually watch this film ? The acting was brilliant. Most of the history was spot on, admittedly diluted a bit to make it comprehensible to a movie audience. This was supposed to be entertainment not documentary. Abbie's story needs retelling for a new generation. After all the state is still censoring him out of the history books and the media, so how else are we to know ? The ridiculously poor distribution of this film suggests that some people still don't want this story to see the light of day. I bought it for £2.99 in a remainder bin, despite never seeing it in a proper store. A disgrace given the quality of the performances, a further disgrace given some of the crap still available on full price release.

Mediocre biopic of an American firebrand

Author: george.schmidt (gpschmidt67@gmail.com) from fairview, nj
28 April 2004

STEAL THIS MOVIE (2000) **1/2 Vincent D'Onofrio, Janeane Garofalo, Jeanne Tripplehorn, Kevin Pollak, Donal Logue, Kevin Corrigan, Alan Van Sprang, Troy Garity, Ingrid Veninger, Stephen Marshall, Joyce Gordon, Bernard Kay. The life and times of 1960s radical Yippie political rabble rouser Abbie Hoffman (D'Onofrio, although physically miscast, gives a decent turn) is depicted in this melange in his turbulent life with his wife Anita (Garofalo seemingly too low-keyed) which intersperses real-life newsreel archival footage with at times jarring restaged moments that don't juxtopose neatly. Based on the couples' book 'To America With Love: Letters From the Underground' and Marty Jezer's biography, 'Abbie Hoffman: American Rebel', the results are sketchy and one doesn't get a full realization of the secondary characters except for the infamous Chicago 7 trial in 1968 at The Democratic Convention. One wonders what Oliver Stone would have done with such meaty subject matter. (Dir: Robert Greenwald)

Like a turd floating in a bowl . . .

Author: dc-61 from Los Angeles
4 March 2007

Want a great recipe for failure? Take a crappy, leftist political plot, add in some weak & completely undeveloped characters and then throw in the worst sequences a movie has ever known. Let stew for a week (the amount of time probably spent making this trash).

The result is 'Steal This Movie,' a cinematic experience that takes bad movies to dangerous and exotically low places never before conceived.

This movie utterly blew chunks at my face for its entire run time. Words cannot convey how painful it was to watch. This is not one of those bad movies that you and your friends can sit around and make fun of. This is not 'Plan 9 From Outer Space.' This is a long, boring and sad waste of time. 'Steal This Movie' is the biggest waste of energy and talent I have ever seen. It depresses me when I realize that people *actually* took time out of their lives to act in this tripe, if you can call it "acting." But then again, when you have poor direction, poor writing, poor EVERYTHING - "acting" is the last thing to criticize.

This movie is like a huge, disgusting turd that you yearn to quickly flush out of existence, fearful that a friend or loved one might somehow see it. I really wish I could somehow destroy every copy of this film so it will not pollute the minds of aspiring filmmakers. Thank you, Robert Greenwald, for giving me newfound respect for every other movie I have ever seen. You have shown me what is truly awful and why I should appreciate all those movies that are merely crappy and/or boring.

Page 5 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5]