IMDb > Steal This Movie (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Steal This Movie

Steal This Movie More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5]

Like a turd floating in a bowl . . .

Author: dc-61 from Los Angeles
4 March 2007

Want a great recipe for failure? Take a crappy, leftist political plot, add in some weak & completely undeveloped characters and then throw in the worst sequences a movie has ever known. Let stew for a week (the amount of time probably spent making this trash).

The result is 'Steal This Movie,' a cinematic experience that takes bad movies to dangerous and exotically low places never before conceived.

This movie utterly blew chunks at my face for its entire run time. Words cannot convey how painful it was to watch. This is not one of those bad movies that you and your friends can sit around and make fun of. This is not 'Plan 9 From Outer Space.' This is a long, boring and sad waste of time. 'Steal This Movie' is the biggest waste of energy and talent I have ever seen. It depresses me when I realize that people *actually* took time out of their lives to act in this tripe, if you can call it "acting." But then again, when you have poor direction, poor writing, poor EVERYTHING - "acting" is the last thing to criticize.

This movie is like a huge, disgusting turd that you yearn to quickly flush out of existence, fearful that a friend or loved one might somehow see it. I really wish I could somehow destroy every copy of this film so it will not pollute the minds of aspiring filmmakers. Thank you, Robert Greenwald, for giving me newfound respect for every other movie I have ever seen. You have shown me what is truly awful and why I should appreciate all those movies that are merely crappy and/or boring.

A Great Movie

Author: meganwalter from United States
26 October 2005

I truly love this movie. It teaches a younger generation about a time, not too long ago, when people were able to give up everything because of a cause. It is inspiring and I recommended this to all who are a fan of history and will be entertained by an interesting life. Vincent D'Onofrio is a very talented actor and if you only know him from Law & Order, you may be surprised by his role in this movie. He brings a sense of innocence and humor to the role of Abbie Hoffman that allows the uninitiated to develop compassion for a great leader and complicated man. I felt that having watched this movie I have learned a lot. How the government behaved towards all progressive movements during the 60s and 70s. How an individual can come "undone", even while trying to bring about social change and that it is important to speak out against injustice no matter the cost.

Loved It

Author: graestella from United Kingdom
3 July 2005

Once again we get the bad reviews from the nay sayers. Did they actually watch this film ? The acting was brilliant. Most of the history was spot on, admittedly diluted a bit to make it comprehensible to a movie audience. This was supposed to be entertainment not documentary. Abbie's story needs retelling for a new generation. After all the state is still censoring him out of the history books and the media, so how else are we to know ? The ridiculously poor distribution of this film suggests that some people still don't want this story to see the light of day. I bought it for £2.99 in a remainder bin, despite never seeing it in a proper store. A disgrace given the quality of the performances, a further disgrace given some of the crap still available on full price release.

Author: fatmaninatrenchcoat from littleton, co USA
1 March 2003

I would like to thank all of the people who made this movie. I just finished watching the DVD, and in fact I am still watching the interviews. The story of Abbie Hoffman, which I feel is one of the most important of recent American history, is not one that is told very much any more. The film did an excellent job of getting the historical issues and events right, and D'nofrio played Hoffman to the t. However, I would like to say shame on who ever decided that this film didnt deserve a large release. It is a film that everyone needs to see, and it did not recieve the publicity it deserved. Please go see this movie, buy this movie, and most importantly lets carry on the leggacy of Abbie through our own actions. Maybe this film will imspire you the way that all aspects of Hoffman have inspired me.

Unflattering portrayal of a selfish hypocrite...

Author: Joseph "God" Jordan (angelmengele@hotmail.com) from NYC, United States
27 November 2005

While the film itself is an unbalanced and tepid depiction of this "revolutionary" anti-war personality, filled with mediocre performances and at times incoherent composition, I found its content to be the most off-putting aspect of this work. As a self-professed (though anarchist-leaning) nihilist, I know unfortunately little about this figure highly relevant to the politics to which I most closely adhere, and the subject of this film hardly merits the accolades attributed to the late, now fabled Mr. Hoffman (unless, of course, this movie provides an accurate presentation of someone by which the Leftist community has been ultimately duped).

All the while professing a love of humanity and hatred of the power-mongers that would hold nations (such as Vietnam) in thrall for their own egoistic ends, this man subjected his wife, child, girlfriend (with whom he knew great happiness while the family he abandoned barely scraped by), comrades and politically-sympathetic donors to great hardship, financial and otherwise, to keep him out of prison and away from the misery that the many for which he supposedly fought knew only too well. He and his band of Yippies propelled themselves to the forefront of history and celebrity with seemingly enjoyable, iconoclastic guerilla theatre, and other pranks that served to increase the popularity and egos of the socially conscious participants, but to what end? The Vietnam war raged on amidst their gamboling, and the poor and oppressed continued (and continue) to languish under the same system of capitalism that existed before such bright ideas were engendered in the minds of these fighters. At least, his name will go down in history, as a man that achieved great renown, under the guise of fighting a system in which he ultimately made no dents, while his two mistresses suffered and a group of privileged, Jewish intellectuals thought they were making difference by getting high and getting mad...

Page 5 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5]