IMDb > Steal This Movie (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 4 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Great Performance

Author: katynmae from Pennsylvania
7 May 2001

Janeane Garofalo is simply amazing in her role as Anita Hoffman. She proves that she is not just a typecast actress, always playing roles in romantic comedies, and performs the role brilliantly. She is stellar - one of her best roles yet. She, in my opinion, is the only thing that keeps this movie afloat. Still, nonetheless, it is a great movie.

Abbie and the 70's canned for your viewing pleasure!

Author: AJ_Franklin from Houston, TX
5 May 2001

Good acting and casting give this flick an authentic flavor (I watched the newly minted DVD) but having lived through the era depicted, I felt as though I was getting a diluted version of it all. Others have said 'something was missing' from part or all of the movie, and I agree. The something that is missing is the heart and soul of the 70's. And short of watching Val Kilmer's right-on performance of Jim Morrison (The Doors), nothing will bring it back.

This movie is just a swiss cheese version of Abbie Hoffman's life...too many holes. I bought Abbie's book, "Steal this Book" by mailorder back then. I was hoping to see some of the 'schtick' in the book show up on the wide-screen...nope.

It was a great book for its time and place. Until it was stolen :-))

OK! Here it is. . .

Author: bobert84 from Waldorf, Maryland
15 April 2001

Steal This Movie gave a reasonable snippet about the life & times of Abbie Hoffman. Janeane Garofalo gave an outstanding performance in this movie! I would of enjoyed a bit more of some 60's documentary, but understood that wasn't the full intent of this movie. Vincent D'Onofrio did justice to the character of Abbie.

It took me back many years...

Author: barbara.langstaff from Oakland, California
17 August 2000

The '60's footage really took me back...Ah, flower power, anti-war demonstrations...taking a stand for something meaningful... I wonder if kids who were not alive during the tumultuous time this film portrays will be moved the way I was to go out and make a difference in the world. Abbie was truly a hero to many, and "Steal This Movie" is a tribute to him.

Beyond The Shadow Of A Doubt!

Author: luka-9 from Los Angeles, Ca.
25 July 2000

With convincing actors in leading roles, playing characters so well developed it reminds me that independent film is where it's at. Without the over hype, this film remains interesting & Fun, opening doorways to the past that this youngster didn't know about. Well written and shot this film journeys through the 60's (again) but, this time, finds Abbie Hoffman a distinct and interesting character with a brilliant story to tell. Radical and Political commentator, Abbie hoffman is forced on a journey with government intrusion and 60's hippie magic. Some points are hit home a little hard but overall a strong film. In the current climate of Political seduction and conspiracy there is no better time to release this film. Expect Janeane Garofalo and Vincent D'Onofrio to open your mind with excellent performances. "Power To The People!"

Steal this review!

Author: Mighty E from Austin, TX
14 March 2000

The title alone dragged me to the second screening of this biopic on Abbie Hoffman at the South by Southwest Film Festival this week - and I was continually surprised, tickled, and even enraged by the unfolding of this fabulous story. I don't know when this remarkable film will be released to regular audiences, but when it does, check it out. Steal it!

I knew one of Abbie Hoffman's friends.

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
9 April 2006

As far as I know, "Steal This Movie" was the first movie that focused on the FBI's persecution of political activists in the '60s. Specifically, it looks at Yippie founder Abbie Hoffman (Vincent D'Onofrio) and his cohorts. As it was, we were very good friends with Stew Albert (who died last year).

The movie does a very good job looking at everything, complete with a soundtrack including Jimi Hendrix, Donovan, Phil Ochs, and John Lennon. There are obviously many sources of information about the '60s and everything associated therewith. For more info about the FBI's dirty tricks, there's "A People's History of the United States" and "Lies My Teacher Told Me".

Nixon must spin in his grave every time that someone watches this.

Terrible - never rings true to those who know anything about Abbie.

Author: (robbo@umich.edu) from Ann Arbor, Michigan
26 June 2001

There is nothing good to say about this movie. Read Revolution For the Hell of It or any of his other writings. Abbie was often dismissed as the clown-prince of the '60's, but he was a man of ideas who used his cleverness, his sense of humor and pop culture, and his flamboyant personality to get attention to his ideas. The media too often concentrated on the man, not the ideas, and that's the problem with this movie, too. Later in his life he did suffer from depression. But this flick is like a National Enquirer version of Abbie. He deserves better. If you don't know Abbie or his times, this movie won't help.

This film lies. I give it a zero.

Don't Steal This Mess

Author: New Found Faith from USA
2 March 2001

The film makers were obviously trying to hit on all of the important events in Abbie Hoffman's life, so they showed scenes that were way too short or did not go far enough to explain such an enigmatic figure. In the end, the viewer is left with no new knowledge of Hoffman. I give this a 5 just because of some earnest performances and a great soundtrack.

Could there be a better actor than Vincent D'Onofrio today?

Author: LindaS from Overland Park, KS
18 September 2002

Good overview of the adult life of Abby Hoffman and 60's revolution. It personalized it for me. It has a nice touch in that Tom Hayden's son with Jane Fonda plays his father. Vincent D'Onofrio is a terrific actor.

Page 4 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]