IMDb > What's the Worst That Could Happen? (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
What's the Worst That Could Happen?
Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Who will be the Lord Of The Ring?

Author: jimbo700 from United States
20 May 2004

Generally speaking, I agree with the masses on the IMDb but in this case I must protest. This movie deserves a much higher rating than a 5. I would personally give it a 7. After viewing several mundane comedies, I found "What's the Worst That Could Happen?" to be refreshing. A quick summary of the plot: Kevin Caffrey (Martin Lawrence) attempts to burglarize billionaire Max Fairbanks' (Danny Divito) home. Max turns out to be in the house and holds Kevin at gunpoint until the police arrive. He then tells the cops that the ring on Kevin's hand belongs to him and the cops force Kevin to cough it up. The problem is that Kevin's new girlfriend had just given it to him. The rest of the movie deals with Kevin trying to get the ring back. Danny DeVito is hilarious and this is my favorite Martin Lawrence movie yet.

The plot is original and I thought the supporting actors were great. I would have given William Fichtner a bit more of a roll. He really had little to do with the plot yet I found his portrayal of gay Detective Alex Tardio to be one of the funniest parts of the movie. I read the book and will admit that the book's ending is a bit more satisfying but not a major issue. I have never seen a group of criminals and scoundrels more likable than the group in the movie. Everyone in the movie; the thief, the rich guy, the politicians, the judges and everyone in the periphery seems to be morally depraved. I guess that is what makes this movie so funny. If you enjoyed "Blue Streak" then you're going to love "What's the Worst That Could Happen?".

It's just plain funny !

Author: MovieDave (davida719@gmail.com) from Somerset County, NJ
4 June 2001

Just the name Martin Lawrence kind of makes me laugh, and this movie with Danny DeVito will give you several good belly laughs. Plain and simple, the formula for a good comedy is not all that complex, as this film clearly shows. There's no gross-out humor, or excessive vulgar language needed to make this movie a fun couple of hours. I also genuinely liked John Leguizamo's character throughout the movie. All in all this movie is a barrel of laughs from start to finish.

Simple, good fun

Author: conjunctionfilms (conjunctionfilms@hotmail.com) from Ottawa, Canada
3 June 2001

I read Donald E. Westlake's novel "What's The Worst That Could Happen?" prior to seeing the new movie. This is something I think moviegoers should do, read the book and go to see the movie to compare and contrast. The book is full of rich, comical characters as is the movie, but there are differences.

The film stars Martin Lawrence as Kevin Caffery, a suave, intelligent thief who often cases art auctions for new prizes to steal. However his partner named Berger (John Leguizamo) lets him in a score at a mansion owned by Max Fairbanks, a wealthy businessman (Danny DeVito) who is going bankrupt. The two thieves break in the house and DeVito catches Lawrence and steals his prized ring his girlfriend gave him. He is then bent on revenge and out to get it back.

The plot is basic and works well and the film is smart, funny and actually even silly. Most "silly movies" get trashed and aren't given credit for trying to make us laugh a bit. "What's The Worst That Can Happen" has a good amount of intelligence to it but also has a good amount of summer movie silliness and it fits and works in a comedy that is well made and very entertaining.

Give it chance and it might work for you.

Costars Glenne Headly, Nora Dunn, Bernie Mac, William Fichtner, Richard Schiff, Larry Miller and Ana Gasteyer.

Not great, but certainly watchable

Author: Yassen
9 October 2002

Well, what can I say? It's not the best Martin Lawrence film and its not even one of the top 20 best Danny De Vito films (isn't this little guy one of the biggest comic actors of our time!) but it's a nice comedy, good to rent on video or watch on TV.

Basically the plot is not very imaginative and the movie relies mostly on the actors performances. So I'll concentrate on them in this review. Here it goes:

De Vito is perfect as always. Noone could play the part of the complacent billionaire better than him! He does the best he can do with the material he's given, but his talent could have been used more appropriately if the writers had done a better job...

Martin Lawrence also playes one of his usual parts, quite similar to the part he played in Blue Streak. He does everything expected from him, including getting in disguise more than once and producing some Eddie Murphy-style jokes. But seeing Black Knight and now this, one may ask: isn't he repeating himself too much now? Sure he's funny, but he's also getting annoying to more and more people...

We also have some good-loking actresses, especially the lady playing Lawrence's girlfriend. Their parts are unfortunately too brief to be memorable.

Oh,yes, there's also William Fichtner playing one of the weirdest detectives in the history of cinema! Am I the only one who thinks he was doing a parody of Willem Defoe's character in The Boondock Saints??

As far as the plot, well, it's all about a ring...

Hilarious!

Author: carvenga_vie from Mexico
15 July 2008

Unfortunately, a lot of people seem to give this movie lousy reviews, and I can't figure out why. Both Martin Lawrence and Danny DeVito are totally hilarious, and this entire film is packed with great jokes. Also, a great supporting part by William Fichtner as the dog-loving Detective Alex Tardio, a must-see for any fans of his. The rest of the cast is great too, as is the soundtrack. DeVito and Lawrence are a great pair, and the way they battle with witty comments makes this movie 10 times better, as if it wasn't funny enough already. What's The Worst That Could Happen? is definitely watchable again and again. One of my very favorites. Love it!!!

Unfortunately mediocre

Author: kraziken from Seattle
16 January 2002

I have to say I was really looking forward to this movie and missed it in the theater. If any movie was a rental this is it. It is not a horrible movie, just not great either.

With Danny Devito, Martin Lawrence and John Leguizamo, I thought this movie was going to be great. Unfortunately, the laughs that come are too far and between to be worth much.

The movie trailer is much funnier than the actual movie. However, if you have an interest in the comedians, I would say it is worth the price of a rental.

Martin & Danny have great comedic chemistry

Author: Michael Sibley
6 September 2004

If the box office rest of summer ends up as good as this movie was, movie fans will be in for a real treat. Martin Lawrence returns to the big screen with his hilarious brand of humor as he teams with Danny DeVito in "What's The Worst That Can Happen?"

"What's The Worst That Can Happen?" revolves around a would-be burglar named Kevin Caffrey, played by Lawrence, is caught in the act by the home owner, billionaire Max Fairbanks, played by DeVito. The tables are turned when Fairbanks steals Caffrey's ring given to him by his girlfriend. The rest of the film circles around getting the ring back. From this moment on, I knew I was going to be watching one funny film.

Joining Lawrence and DeVito is John Leguizamo as Kevin's partner in crime, Burger, Carmen Ejogo as Kevin's girlfriend Amber and Bernie Mac as Kevin's uncle. The addition of these actors is evidence that "What's The Worst That Can Happen?" is a sure hit with all ages.

Lawrence wears two hats in "What's The Worst That Can Happen?" as producer and star and he has success in both capacities. Furthermore, he was a true asset as an actor in "What's The Worst That Can Happen?" because he brought a unique brand of humor.

His style is one to be proud of because he truly makes the comedy enjoyable and the humor so funny you'll be laughing so hard it will hurt. I appreciate his comedic ability and acting talent.

DeVito adds credibility to one truly fun comedy. I couldn't have asked for a better actor to portray Max Fairbanks. There is not a lot to say about DeVito because his lengthy and steady body of work speaks for him. With so many great films under his belt, I knew I was going to be watching a true master at work.

In addition to credibility, DeVito has presence and humor in that made me smile from ear to ear and start to finish. He is solid comedic genius that brings a great amount of comedy and presence that will leave everyone smiling.

Leguizamo has a true niche for comedy as he proves in "What's The Worst That Can Happen?" I wasn't sure how to gage Leguizamo because I have only seen one other film with him, so I was surprised to learn he was one of funniest and talented actors in the movie.

The chemistry between Lawrence and Leguizamo was perfect because they seemed to work so well together. Leguizamo was a great compliment to Lawrence and his brand of humor. I enjoyed every minute they shared the screen because I knew I was going to laugh.

Ejogo was a true pleasure to watch because she brought excitement and charisma to the movie. I relished each scene she was in because I got the opportunity to see a true natural at work. Mac was a true surprise because I didn't expect him to turn in a good performance.

Ejogo joins a handful of actresses that includes Monica Potter, Kate Beckinsale and James King, who are on my list of nominees for the prestigious honor of being called best newcomers of the year. The true geniuses behind "What's The Worst That Can Happen?" were the writers because they created something special.

The writing in this movie is very enjoyable and good because it compliments Lawrence's comedy and DeVito's humor. The games set up by the writers were incredible fun to watch since each scene skillfully crafted.

Also, the audience received a bonus when the writer added action and suspense. Though "What's The Worst That Can Happen?" succeeds mostly with comedy, it also entertains with action and suspense.

I knew with scenes like Kevin's taunts to Max over his cell-phone while he was in a senate sub-committee, "What's The Worst That Can Happen?" will entertain every single person who buys a ticket for this movie. I could not ask for anything more from the writers of "What's The Worst That Could Happen" because watching this story play out is a thing of beauty.

One solid guarantee I can make to potential viewers of this movie: "What's The Worst That Could Happen" will leave you laughing until it hurts. Lawrence and DeVito are a lethal comedic team that fills the screen with laughter, suspense and action. "What's The Worst That Can Happen?" is one of the most entertaining films I've seen.

The bottom line is this film is harmless fun that will delight and entertain you for two hours. I hope everyone gets the chance to see how great these two talents come together and create one of the funniest movies this year.

The Worst thing about this Martin Lawrence movie? Martin Lawrence!

Author: Jon P. (prodigaljon@hotmail.com) from Ottawa, On
2 June 2001

A talented supporting performance by John Leguizamo and a few somewhat funny, if not completely illogical, set pieces aren't enough to save this movie from being just about the worst thing I've seen all year. Lawrence is bad - unfunny and stupid - but the real criminal is the screenwriter. Whoever adapted this one should have his typing fingers amputated and be forced to work in public access for the rest of his career. How anybody could take a mediocre, but well-plotted and screen-ready novel and turn it into this festering, head-shaking mess of a movie is completely beyond me. There are moments that have phenomenal potential, but they're ham-handedly executed and it seems that the filmmakers just didn't know how to get laughs from them.

tough movie to rate/review

Author: witster18 from United States
13 October 2014

WTWTCH is a genuinely funny film. In particular, Lawrence and Leguizamo have many hilarious moments. I started watching it even though the RT scores on dtv were low, but it never seems to take long for Martin to get my attention and give one of his movies a chance like I did this one. SOmetimes they've been surprisingly watchable(Blue Streak, Nothing to Lose), and sometimes they haven't(Black Knight, Death at a Funeral).

The film isn't great, but it does seem to throw out a genuinely funny scene about every 15 minutes.

The problems with the film lie in the plot, or the lack of a plot. I know we here this a lot in reviews, but this film falls right there with Expendables 2 for most 'acceptable' film(not good mind you) that has ABSOLUTELY ZERO PLOT. Even if you try to discern a plot - the characters within just don't fit in it.

The films ending is dreadful, and completely undermines and belittles what little plot there might have been. You really ask yourself what in the world the film was all about when it's over.

I'm stuck between 4 and 5, but I'd watch it again just for some of the funny moments, so I'm going with the latter.

I still can't recommend it and look in someone's eye's while doing so, and I won't do it on-screen either.

If you think Martin is hilarious, then rent or watch this knowing that you'll get those occasional, funny moments, and little else.

Has It's Moments

Author: StrangerMouse from Australia
30 December 2003

I had heard of this movie through friend who had seen it before and had recommended it to me. I took the risk of buying it before renting and in a way, I was correct.

The movie was quite funny. The humour used was of course not very intelligent but it was at time quite funny. Such as when Martin Lawrence is robbing a house, the laser's come on, which doesn't allow them to move at all.

The screenplay was stale but the film is worth watching for the little funny parts. Those who are offended quite easily should stay away and there is also quite a lot of swearing, which was unnecessary.

Overall, the film was about a B-. If you want to sit down and have a few laughs then I recommend you watch this movie.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]