IMDb > She's All That (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
She's All That

She's All That More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 39: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

A disjointed, confusing film

Author: sae244115 from Wichita, Kansas
5 October 2000

This movie does not make sense. The viewer gets the idea that they stepped into the middle of a movie without seeing how the relationships were formed. The movie then jumps around and doesn't explain why the characters act as they do. There is usually no rhyme or reason as to why the characters say the lines that they do. Then as if the movie wasn't confusing enough, they break into a dance routine that looks absolutely ridiculous. My advice, only see this movie if you can see it for free and have absolutely nothing else to do. On second thought, just don't waste your time.

Ahhh...Cute!

Author: walter_gibson from KENT
25 September 2000

Cute little teenage romantic comedy that is supposed to be based on George Bernard Shaw's Pygmalion. There's little resemblance except the plot, but seen as a film, it is both funny, and heck of a lot more romantic that the anti-romantic play that Bernard Shaw wrote. My favourite thing about this film is the quirky characters. The leads are charming enough, but the siblings of the two lead characters, played by Kieran Culkin and Anna Paquin, is used to much better and funnier effect. Kieran Culkin seems to have much more acting ability than his more successful bro. He impressed me a lot in 'the Mighty'. And Paquin is surprisingly cute and funny, which is something I would have expected from her dramatic turn in 'the Piano'. As an adaptation, it's unsurprisingly cruddy. But it's the kind of film I was in the mood for, and it's the kind of film I would have expected from Hollywood. So nice one.

BANAL FLUFF MEETS TEEN TRAUMA

Author: Mitch-38 from Houston, Texas
3 September 2000

CAUTION: MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS. Rather tepid fare here in, SHE'S ALL THAT. Nubile teenagers does not a movie make, and until Hollywood wakes up to that truth, we'll have more movies like this thrown at us. Since the two protagonists meet under an already predetermined (and cruel) "bet" of sorts, makes this an unlikable outing, indeed. Making any connection with this and the G.B. Shaw classic PYGMALION, is cause for more humor than this shallow, little film could possibly provide.

Mega-wealthy, handsome class president gets dumped, so he and his chums devise a bet to pick some improbable girl, and our lothario must change her into the belle of the ball. Enchanting thus far? Wait, there's more! The cruel hoax gets played out, and lo and behold, he starts falling for his prey. Golly, you mean someone in the upper class could fall for some working class cretin in our utopic caste system?! Is this a sign for all to repent?! This drivel just gets worse, and at times, incoherently confusing.

The leads, Freddie Prinze, Jr. and Rachael Leigh Cook, muster an effort or two, but can't overcome the unpleasant premise or the script that borders on insulting. Kevin Pollak provides the film with a few scenes of much needed warmth and real humor.

It's OK --- seen better, seen worse

Author: Theresa (tgjenn@richnet.net) from Mansfield, OH
3 September 2000

OK, so it's predictable and typical, but anyone who has seen any advertisements for this probably could have expected that. Although most of the characters were annoying, I did enjoy the performances by both Freddie Prinze, Jr. and Rachael Leigh Cook.

My other comment on the movie is, although people are correct in that aside from the glasses Laney didn't really look like a geek, I think most people can agree that the people who are negatively singled out at school aren't necessarily the "geeky" looking ones. Laney reminds me a lot of a friend of mine I had growing up. She wasn't ugly, but couldn't relate well to other kids. She eventually changed enough to where she was liked by others, but her overall personality and interests never changed --- which was sort of the same with Laney; even though she took off the glasses and started wearing make-up, she still basically wore the same clothing and had the same personality and interests.

Overall, it wasn't TOO bad of a movie.

It's All Crap

Author: MooVBabe from California
26 August 2000

Why are movies like this one constantly churned out? The teen flick died out in the 80's. C'mon! I've had enough of ones as predictable as this one--I don't even need to rehash the plot, since it's been done a million times before and you already know how it ends. Ugh. My Fair Lady did this so much better many years ago. And that ridiculous and bizarre choreographed dance sequence? Where the heck did that come from? The two leads, Freddie Prinze Jr. and Rachel Leigh Cook, have little if no chemistry. Most of the other actors, like Paul Walker and Jodi Lynn O'Keefe, are dull, one-dimensional villains. The reason this film doesn't get a fail from me is for two reasons: one, I like the Sixpence None the Richer song "Kiss Me". I have to admit it. Second, there are a couple of really good supporting performances. Kevin Pollak is pretty humorous as the father who gets all the Jeopardy questions wrong (thankfully, they don't kill it); Kieran Culkin, who I like much better than his older brother, is cute as the younger brother; Elden Henson is also quite humorous, as well as Matthew Lillard. I still feel that Anna Paquin was horribly misused in the whole film. Why bother crediting her when her role is basically a walk on? It's a two minute cameo. She's good. I liked her character, but I have to question her script choices.

Grade: D+

Best movie ive ever seen!!

Author: Oops-3 from provo, usa
3 August 2000

this is a real arty movie, with great acting, and incredible directing. are you kidding me!!! this is one of the worst movie i've ever seen. that acting was piece of trash, just like all other teen-flicks. i'm a teen, but this doesn't mean i am supposed to be dumb and hormones driven.

the most funny thing i've heard was my friend telling me that the director is so smart, he made her look pretty after he showed her in an ugly way at the beginning of the movie. first, the way she was made to be ugly was very silly, she looked like an alien. second she didn't turn to be pretty, she stayed as ugly! avoid this movie at all costs.

This is everything I hate in the movies.

Author: Hotstuff-7 from Westport, Ct.
27 July 2000

God, I hated this freakin' movie. I hate chick flicks in general, but I really hate teenybopper chick flicks. Who in their right mind would subject themselves to a God-awful movie like this? Who's gonna end up with who? Will the lovers reconcile? Will boy and girl walk off into the sunset together? You know what? I don't give a rat's hairy butt!! I really don't. Movies like this are an insult to the audience, plain and simple. And they only continue to be made because teenage girls make this crap successful. Why does Freddie Prinze, Jr. have a career? Because he's pretty? He makes Ryan Phillipe look like Olivier, for Pete's sake!! And Rachel Leigh Cook is cute already, so it's retarded that the movie paints her as the "ugly duckling". Why is she ugly? Because she wears glasses? Oh, that's intelligent. Do the world a favor, Hollywood, and stop churning out these God-forsaken, insulting, mind-numbing pieces of trash. Can you just do me that favor?

boy did this suck

Author: Cara Herbitter from New York, NY
11 July 2000

From someone who enjoys the occasional dumb teen flick (you can't only watch art films; at least i can't) I was very disappointed. I was expecting the usual amusement of watching pretty young actors and actresses flit about and make cute jokes and eventually end up in teen love... Usually in these movies the acting is somewhat laughable but this was beyond anything I have previously experienced: not bad acting, no atrocious acting (that at least would have been amusing), but BORING acting. Freddie Prinze Jr. would flash a little smile here and there and we were supposed to read into that brilliant gesture that he was really a good guy who happened to be friends with a lot of a*******... I think the only part that amused me was the idea that a character given such mindless dialogue was accepted by all of these Ivy League schools...Freddie Prinze's performance is not the only one that sucked, but the one i was most surprised by's sucking. I thought that with all the hype surrounding him that he'd have to be at least halfway decent an actor and not just a pretty fact who's probably a decent guy and therefore makes me feel bad for writing nasty things about online.

One final pet peeve: How clueless was Lainey? Her lines were especially dumb.... Her crusade to save the world cliched beyond belief... And she wears the falafel hat which is not funny, just humiliating and annoying all at the same time (an accomplishment). I'm still shocked that the solution to her life is all in a bag of makeup. I mean, I thought at least the movie would make some compromise and say something about beauty not being skin deep (in some half assed teenybopper way)...but no. Beware: this movie is really bad...it will not provide you with a brainless teen escape that amuses...it's not dumb enough to laugh at, and too dumb to laugh with.

Bad? Sure. But I loved it!

Author: crazydog-2 from Finland
7 July 2000

There is a huge amount of cliches in this movie. You have to be an idiot if you don't guess what's going to happen in the end after watching it for 10 minutes. The acting was quite bad. The most usual complaint has been: how can somebody who's supposed to be ugly become beautiful just by taking her glasses off? The character's problems were so shallow that they had nothing to do with real life (" Should I go to Harvard or Yale?"). But: it's a teen flick, not some French art film! Of course Laney is beatiful, who would like to watch an ugly teen for an hour and a half? It's the cruel truth, admit it. The shallow problems were there only that we could see that even Zach's a popular guy he's someone we can relate to. I admit it: I really REALLY liked it. I rented when I was feeling sorry for myself and watched it 2 times in a row. It really cheered me up. I'm always complaining about "stupid American teen TV-shows and movies with no meaning" to my friends and my fav movies are The Usual Suspects, Se7en and The Fight Club. But as much as an idea hate this kind of movies I simply have to say it out loud: I love this kind of c**p!

Great movie!!!

Author: (slaterdazed@hotmail.com) from Christiansfeld, Denmark
2 July 2000

love the movie, funny, romantic, gets to learn, not to judge people by there look, or what they do for a living (hope people already knew that!!) Great actors as well, seen some of them in other movies, where they also were great (seen Matthew Lyn Lillard most times - fantastic actor!!)