IMDb > She's All That (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 39:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

CONFORM, CITIZEN! CONFOOOOOOOOORM!!!!

Author: Travis McBeal from England
1 December 1999

High school Jock Number One gets dumped by his prom queen to be! Doh! So the fool bets that he can make a replacement out of the geekiest girl in school.

And this is one helluva geek. For a start, she DOESN'T LIKE DUMB MACHO JOCKS. No, really! And listen, you're gonna love this - SHE WEARS GLASSES!!! I know! And the first time we see her, she TRIPS OVER ON THE STAIRS!!! What a total geek-of-the-week man-eatin' psycho Commie MUTANT, huh? Let's all point at her and LAFF!

Luckily, he redeems her by making her wear contact lenses and pretty dresses. Soon, she'll be just like everyone else. Hallelujah!

God, I hate my generation.

Predictable but nice

Author: rbverhoef (rbverhoef@hotmail.com) from The Hague, Netherlands
9 July 1999

When I saw this film a couple of years ago, I was sixteen, I sort of loved it. Seeing it again, not in my teenage years anymore, I realize that 'She's All That' really is for teenagers. I still like it, yes, but now that I have seen so many more movies there are a lot of predictable, therefore lesser, parts.

For starters it is set on a high school but the characters seem to be in their mid-twenties. Of course that is pretty logical since the actors are in their mid-twenties. Well, Rachael Leigh Cook was only twenty, and I have to admit that she is the main reason to see this movie if you are a guy. Freddie Prinze Jr. is her love interest and personally I think he is one of the most annoying actors out there, no exception here.

The whole story is very predictable actually. Prinze is the most popular guy on their high school, just dumped by his beautiful girlfriend. Now he makes a bet with a friend: he can turn any girl into a prom queen. The friend selects the girl and of course he chooses Rachael Leigh Cook. Convenient for Prinze, since she already is a beautiful girl. It does not really matter whether she wears glasses and floppy pants. Of course he really falls in love with her, of course the bet comes out, of course the girl is mad, of course the movie end on the prom, and of course it will be a happy ending.

Yes, predictable it is, but also sweet, even with an actor like Prinze. Sometimes it is funny and when you are watching a romantic comedy all you really want, I guess, is the main characters get together in a nice way. That sort of happens. A teenager will probably love it, but others will not completely waste their time.

It had its moments, nothing spectacular.

Author: series_of_moments from Pacific Northwest
5 January 2005

I'd actually recommend seeing it if you don't feel like a heavy movie and just want to watch something fun. The movie is 'another teen movie" but does have some unique aspects to it, some pretty funny quotes ("what is this, the dork outreach program?")and moments, but unfortunately, a lot of that average teen movie drama and a few overly two-dimensional characters (Zach's friends and girlfriend). Cool dance scene though, and Freddie Prinze Jr. is bearable Rachel Leigh Cook is likable (I personally thought she was pretty good in it) and notably talented actors like Kevin Pollak, Kieran Culkin, and Anna Paquin give the movie some supporting foundation. Not a bad movie, not a great movie, just simply what it is:'another teen movie'.

Watchable but unimaginative teen `comedy'

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
9 September 2002

When high school jock Zak is dumped by his prom-queen style girlfriend, he rashly says that he doesn't need her and that any girl he dates will become the prom queen. A friend takes her up on the bet and picks geeky art student Laney. Zak tries to get close with limited success but gradually he begins to get to know her and they become friends – now all he has to do is get her accepted by the jet set.

How many teen movies do we need, with their similar themes of jocks and geeks and the seemingly revolving casts? Here we get yet another retelling of Pygmalion except here it doesn't really convince as a comedy or a story. The plot isn't particularly imaginative and feels lifeless and a little flat as a result like it has no spark of it's own. The other problem is the fact that Laney is actually quite good looking before `the change' – I prefer her look before Zak supposedly made her better.

The film needs to pander to the teen audience so we get the obligatory `gross out' comedy in a few scenes which are funny but outside of that it's really very light melodrama between Zak, Laney and the jocks/cheerleaders.

Prince is annoying but is actually alright here despite having a cardboard jock character. Cook is good as Laney but it's a shame that the film sees some sort of victory of making this geeky arty girl into a beautiful Valley girl type that conforms to the pack. What message does that send out to teenagers? At one point Zak says that he'd rather work with fat or ugly than Laney – but really she is only acceptable because she is pretty and not fat or ugly. The rest of the cast are a range of teen actors who you'll recognise from other films who do nothing out of the ordinary. Usher has a cool cameo – but why did Lil' Kim take a role that was barely a support character? I hate Matthew Lillard with a passion but here he does a good job sending up those reality TV `celebrities' and is very funny in his handful of scenes.

Overall this is an acceptable teen film but really never gets to the point where you could call it more than good. The story lacks spark or imagination and the comedy is either crude or too slight to be funny. It's watchable but it's not all that.

Nerdy girl, popular boy, a bet, self-discovery, bet goes bad, love triumphs (with some sweet revenge).

Author: dmaynard-2 from United States
5 November 2007

Loved this movie. Great for a date, good for a laugh, entertaining and a sweet romantic comedy.

Yes, is a pretty predictable plot, but what teen movie isn't? It had some unique aspects that I thought were creative and entertaining.

I thought it was well cast and well acted. The parts where I was supposed to laugh, I found myself laughing. The parts where I was supposed to get angry, I got angry. And the parts were I was supposed to yearn for love, I yearned.

Whoever rates this poorly, probably doesn't understand the PURPOSE and MEANING of a romantic comedy teen movie... This one totally fits the bill.

One of the best movies in its genre

Author: Joejoesan from Amsterdam, The Netherlands
22 August 2008

I just saw this movie for the sixth or seventh time on television and I wondered what Rachael Leigh Cook was doing these days. So I checked the IMDb and to my amazement I saw that this movie is rated with a miserable 5.4! What the hell? In my opinion She's all that is one of the best movies in it's teenager/highschool/romcom genre. The story is comfortable predictable and all the performances (from Freddy Prinze to Rachel Leigh Cook and even Matthew Lillard - who's pretty hilarious) are great. We also find Paul Walker (pretty scary!) and Anna Paquin in one of their earlier roles.

Director Robert Iscove also has some nice visual surprises in store for us. The way he introduces the Florida flashback at the pool may be lent from Tucker: A man and his dream, but it works very well. One of the best parts is the dance scene to the music of Fat Boy Slim at the end of the movie. The choreography is excellent and the camera-work first rate. I think that scene is an absolute classic (especially since it wasn't even planned to be in the movie).

All in all She's all that is pretty underrated, I think. It's difficult to make a good romantic movie, I know. I love the genre, but the only ones that really survive the test of time can be counted on one hand. Rob Reiner's The Sure Thing and When Harry Met Sally are up there. Garry Marshall's Frankie and Johnny, Ang Lee's Sense & Sensibility, The Notebook and Simon West's Pride & Prejudice also come to mind.

She's all that may not be a classic like the movies I mentioned before, but there's more to that movie than you would think after first seeing it.

A miserable 5.4... Come on, guys! 8,5 out of 10

"She's All That," and then some...

Author: dee.reid from United States
11 July 2012

I'm actually surprised at all the negativity aimed at this movie. But I really shouldn't be, you know? It's a formulaic, stereotypical movie about high school and teenagers. In short, it's another teen movie (Not Another Teen Movie - get it?). But there is something disarming about "She's All That." It's sweet, it's funny, it's cute, it's charming, and it's kind of innocent (in its own unique way, of course).

OK, maybe I'm being a little hyperbolic with calling this movie "innocent," but I'm making these judgments because this is a movie that I've always admired since it first came out in 1999 - I was 14 and in middle school that year, so I was definitely within its target audience - and I eagerly rented it on VHS from Blockbuster Video after being released on home video. Regrettably, I never really watched it again after that for some reason; I really wish I could come up with a reasonable explanation, but I honestly have none. (As an aside, a few months ago I purchased the movie on Blu-ray DVD and I finally had the opportunity to watch the movie in its entirety for the first time in 12 years.)

I personally feel that, unlike many of the teen comedies released on the tail end of the oh-so-cynical seen-it-all '90s, "She's All That" was one of the far better movies from that time. It was incredibly well-acted (by its wholesome, good-looking leads, played by Freddie Prinze, Jr. and Rachael Leigh Cook), well-written (by R. Lee Fleming, Jr), and directed (by Robert Iscove). I felt that the budding romantic chemistry between the two leads was real and believable. Additionally, the characters, especially Cook's character, Plain Jane art student Laney Boggs, seemed real, three-dimensional, and sympathetic.

I single out Rachael Leigh Cook because this was really her movie all the way. In other words, she simply wasn't running her character through the motions of Fleming's script, and she made Laney Boggs all her own - a living, breathing human being and not a brown-eyed, brunette-haired bombshell. She doesn't go from zero to 10 in the time it takes for you to zip up your jacket, no (even though in the real world, it would be utterly ridiculous for her to be considered, even in her "ugly duckling" stage, anything less than "very, very pretty"; all she needs to do is lose the glasses, do her hair, and update her wardrobe and she's done - instant prom queen status). Her transformation into a beauty queen is something that is seen as a gradual process and is full of real effort on her part. In other words, She really is All That.

At the beginning of the film, all-American jock - star soccer player - and class president and essentially nice good-guy Zack Siler (Prinze, Jr.) is publicly dumped by his shallow, self-absorbed girlfriend Taylor Vaughan (Jodi Lyn O'Keefe) for an annoying reality TV star from "The Real World" named Brock Hudson (Matthew Lillard, of "Scream"). Zack bets with his best friend Dean (Paul Walker) that he can turn any girl in the school into a prom queen in six weeks. Dean chooses Laney Boggs. Predictably, Zack starts to fall for Laney - especially after his younger sister Mackenzie (Anna Paquin) gives her an extreme makeover - and soon finds himself questioning his bet with Dean.

As I stated earlier, there isn't a whole lot to the plot that hasn't been seen before in earlier, better teen pictures (like, say, for instance, 1987's "Can't Buy Me Love," which this film could be considered in some ways a modern update of). But what saves it are its performances from two real, likable characters who are given a chance on-screen to really learn from each other, and learn ABOUT each other and make some unique discoveries about themselves in the process. It's just a quality that I wish more teen films shared these days.

"She's All That" - It really is All That, and then some more.

worth watching for Rachel Leigh Cook

Author: rmlattimore from United States
4 April 2009

There are some movies that make me just stop what I'm doing and watch. Braveheart, Clear and Present Danger, Casino Royale, Godfather I and II, Goodfellas, Top Gun are just a few that come to mind. Not all are classics, but all have _something_ to them that engrosses me. She's All That is one of those movies.

Yes, Rachel Leigh Cook is so so cute. Fuggedaboudat. Watch her. See if she delivers one line as if she memorized it, as if she's repeating what someone else wrote. There's not one unnatural act or utterance from her. She is completely believable, and because her character rings so true, you cannot help but empathize with her, and that is what makes the movie -- when she wins out in the end, you're happy she did because she makes you care about her. She's as good as Kate Blanchett was in The Aviator (completely different movies, completely different roles, by Blanchett deservedly won an Oscar). She has that character absolutely nailed, you won't see - can't see -- a better performance.

(And for what it is worth, this may be Paul Walker's best performance. I credit the director for getting the performances that he did out of cast of young actors not generally known for their talent.) As for the rest of the movie, you've seen it before, but so what? Star Wars is Battle of Britain, set in the future with a backstory, no one holds that against it. The choreographed dance scene is great, and it IS well cast and it IS well acted, clichéd or not.

Not the worst

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
24 October 2000

While I would never put this film up with the contender teen flicks (American Pie for instance), if there was a pick between this and Bring it On, I'd go for the first. The story follows a smart, preppy, and popular teen (Freddie Prinze Jr.) called Zach who gets dumped by his girlfriend, but then takes a bet the to turn a outsider art girl (Rachel Leigh Cook has some great charm and sexuality) into prom queen. While I wouldn't call this the best idea to turn someone's mindset like that, the film makes it almost work, and slightly (though never completely) makes Zach's lifestyle apealing. Sweet romantic comedy, though it isn't a quality flick. B-

A Brilliant Romantic Movie

Author: Hollie_H from United Kingdom
27 March 2007

I loved the movie it had a good plot and great acting. This movie was so good it won like 8 awards. It is your average teen movie. Zach Siler(Freddie Prinze Jr.) makes a bet that he can turn and unpopular girl Laney Boggs (Rachael Leigh Cook) into prom queen after being dumped by his girlfriend Taylor Vaughan (Jodi Lyn O'Keefe). The movie has some aspects of a Rom com with the odd witty comments. Freddie Prinze Jr and Rachael Leigh Cook play the characters amazingly they give you a great impression of the character and how they react in certain situations. If you have seen Not Another Teen Movie then you will find the plot line similar thats because they stole It from She's all that. This is a amazing typical romantic teen movie that will make your heart melt and i strongly recommend it for girlie nights in.

Page 1 of 39:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]