IMDb > "First Wave" (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"First Wave"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"First Wave" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

An outstanding Sci Fi series not to be missed.

Author: docp from Preston, England
13 October 2002

Contrary to the views of another reviewer, I find this series outstandingly entertaining and my wife and I have been addicted to every episode. I am in my 50's and have a postgraduate degree - so much for moronic, sex-craved teens only! It is excellent escapism. No-one is suggesting that the programme is 'realistic' - that could hardly be described as the purpose of most SciFi TV series - but it does hold one intrigued from the beginning of the first series to the end of the last to find out how, if at all, everything is going to work out. The 'prophecies' of Nostradamus add a novel twist to everything and since imitation is the sincerest form of flattery I should imagine that Nostradamus would feel well flattered indeed by this programme and the only somersaults he will be turning in his grave will be one's of delight. I would suggest that this programme be accepted for what it is and that one should not expect it to be deeply meaningful or anything else that it does not purport to be. It is well acted and directed throughout and I would recommend it unreservedly.

Great work by Spence

Author: go2dean from United States
25 July 2004

I think it goes without saying that Sebastian Spence really made this series work. He had that quintessential generation X (Markie Mark) look with an attitude to boot. Rob Labelle was also very distinguishing as Crazy Eddie. Traci Lords Character was a good addition in the 3rd season, but someone like Cynthia Rothrock could have given you just as much sex appeal along with the ability to kick some SERIOUS butt.

Nonetheless, I enjoyed the series from beginning to end, and hope to see it available on DVD soon. This was a youth driven project looking to reach a young audience. It was also good exposure for Spence who displayed the ability to fulfill the demands of an action lead role. Roger Cross also did an excellent job in the anti-hero role of Joshua as well.

Highly entertaining

Author: Op_Prime from Ardmore, PA
5 January 2000

First Wave is a very entertaining sci-fi show. It uses themes from 'The Fugitive' and 'The X-Files.' The show is filled with suspense and never lets up on the action. The stories are great and filled with what ever you could want. This is classic sci-fi today and is worth a look.

"Right on, Cade!"

Author: lonelydude-2 (rne4eva@netzero.net) from Brooklyn, NY
18 April 2001

"First Wave" is outstanding, passionate sci-fi action drama. This is a show that lives in real time, a show that is intelligent and full of raw emotion. The performances are never flat. "First Wave" is a sci-fi show that is imaginative while at the same time being very down-to-earth. In a way their reality is much like ours. While the Gua, an alien race that are both highly intelligent and extremely ruthless quietly prepares to conquer and destroy, humanity in general (with the exception of Cade, Ed, and Jordan) still don't believe in aliens at all, pretty good premise.

For me this is not a show, it is an addiction. I became hooked on the very first episode and have been watching and videotaping it religiously ever since. I especially like the growing chemistry between Spence and Lords as they square off against the alien Antichrist Mabus, a deliciously evil character I might add.

This show is certainly recommended.

I LOVE that show!

Author: nicky811121 from Sofia, Bulgaria
23 January 2003

From the very first episode I got addict to this wonderful show!It is intelligent and thoughtful,it didn't rely on special effects,it had great actors which were perfect for their characters,especially Sebastian Spence and Rob La Belle.They are wonderful as Cade and Eddie and they make their characters believable. The show was SUPERB and I want to see First wave movie! :)

Awesome!

Author: lonewolf89 from USA
2 November 2002

I loved this show! Eddie and Cade were great together, an interesting match up. The plot was excellent, and the episodes were believable. Joshua was a cool character. He good as a bad guy and a good guy. Jordan was the only person that I didn't like, she got on my nerves. Over all, First Wave is great, definitely worth watching.

Look out! This series is addictive!

Author: Columbus from Shepparton, Australia
8 February 1999

Not for a long, long time have I been drawn into a continuing series to the point that I just have to watch it week in, week out. "First Wave" has captured my imagination. Sebastian Spence as our hero Cade Foster should, in my opinion, be a big star and hopefully he will be, as audiences around the world get to see his work. "First Wave" is better than the X-Files and reminiscent of "The Fugitive" - if that confuses you, watch the show and you'll understand. You won't be disappointed.

Why

Author: Shifty_Eyes from Vancouver, Canada
19 September 2002

Why on earth was this show cancelled? I barely got to see it, and it was suddenly not on TV anymore. Is there somewhere I can still see it? This was one of my guilty pleasures as a closet geek, and the news I have received now that it was CANCELLED have truly saddened me. I would really like to see if, if you can help, it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thoughtful, Absorbing, Compelling: First Wave

Author: Enrique Sanchez from Miami, FL
18 July 2002

This wonderful series was NOT made for the average sci-fi fan.

This series WAS made for fans who possessed that a LITTLE more philosophical insight than the average. It was made for those of us who thirst for series that whirl you around in eternal questions and philosophical quests.

Two Thumbs UP to this insightful science fiction series and its discerning fans! Two Thumbs DOWN to the forces which was ended it mercilessly.

FEW series can draw you in with its truly intellectual content. This series challenged the brain in every episode. It did not quench the needs of the visual and ephemeral sensibilities.

This series pondered wonderful questions BEYOND good vs. evil - it pondered questions of in the best tradition of the morality plays infused with limitless dimensions of time, space and fate v. free will.

Here's a Big VOTE to continue to this series or at least to make one or two CONCLUSIVE movies.

This series deserves that - at the very least.

KUDOS to SPENCE, LA BELLE, CROSS, BRANCATO, COPPOLA and SUGAR for truly fine series. Thank you SCI-FI CHANNEL.

"Believe in Me. This is our final battle."

If you like High Quality Sci-Fi, this show is for you!

Author: DrkAngel from Wisconsin
11 January 2000

Simply put, this is one of the finest Sci-Fi shows on television today. The show is not driven by special f/x, it's driven by solid stories, solid acting, in sum it's character driven. Each week Cade and his pal Crazy Eddie, try to stop alien experiments and expose the truth about them. This is not your typical show, this show has it's own identity and a following the grows weekly. In this day and age, we look for something to carry us into the future. The X-Files is coming to a close. First Wave is the show, that will carry the ball for high quality, sci-fi dramatic television. Chris Brancato is the genius behind this gem of a show, he was once worked on the X-Files. He is brilliant, just as this show is. This show will capture not only your imagination but your heart as well. This is one solid show, that harks back to the days of sci-fi shows that made you think, and not blow something up every five minutes. This is a show that will make you think, and say wow. This is high quality tv at it's very best.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]