IMDb > Eye See You (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
D-Tox

Eye See You More at IMDbPro »D-Tox (original title)

Page 7 of 15: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

This could be a great movie, but...

Author: Esther V (e.vromans@interpolis.nl) from Tilburg
4 June 2002

I wanted to see this movie for three reasons: 1: Is it really as bad as everyone says? 2: Will Sly make a better movie than the last two? 3: How does Sean Patrick Flanery fare in this movie? This point contains a spoiler, so watch out...

1: This movie actually started really, really well. For the first 30 minutes or so I was glued to my seat...until Sly got into the detox center. AARGH! I know what you did last summer wasn't a great movie, but in this one you could see the killer coming for miles and the suspense level was ZERO. Didn't they have enough money or inspiration to make the storyline a bit less predictable???? Nice to watch once and then forget about it.

2: Sly wasn't actually too bad in this movie, but D-tox won't do his already sliding career any good...Hopefully a good director will give him another chance.

3: OK, Sean Patrick Flanery is one of my favourite actors who notoriously seems to pick very bad movies (Indy, Powder and Boondock Saints are exceptions, doesn't he want to be successful or something?), so I was very curious to see what his performance would be like in this movie...uhhh, excuse me, in the 5 minutes that he was actually IN IT...In this movie we see him in a very powerful scene, only to watch him turn up dead in the very next. Yes, you see him as a corpse a few times later, but I bet he hoped for more screen time than this...I'm really, really starting to fear for his career. The same goes for Jeffrey Wright and Robert Patrick, a damn shame of two fine actors.

This movie could have used a lot less stars and a lot more plot, but that's what we call woulda, shoulda, coulda....

Strawberry Ice and Cheese sums up Sly Stallone's Slasher

Author: Mark Palmer from London, England
2 June 2002

This is a film in 2 parts really. Part One, only about one third of the entire film - is pretty much as cool as strawberry ice. Sly Stallone plays a disgruntled FBI guy on the trail of a cop killer. He is out for revenge - the killer has a grudge. Something bad has happened, and this time it's personal.

Now for Part Two. And here comes the cheese. Sly goes to an ex-government research building in the middle of nowhere but where it snows a lot(or something like that - who cares, it's just a weird stone building there to look spooky, threatening, claustophobic etc!) to get over his alcoholism. Like I said, there is much snow around. Scary movie fans like lots of snow - The Thing is our favourite film because of this! This D-Tox centre is run by a grizzled and bored-looking Kris Kristofferson. This man, this sorry-looking man, plays an ex-cop not very convincingly. Now, if you really were suicidal, it's the last place you'd go to - this Alcatraz-lookalike D-Tox centre in the middle of nowhere. You'd really fly to LA or London's Harley Street, wouldn't you? But everyone who is there, pretty much, IS suicidal - and this small group of nutty policemen-type inmates soon get trapped inside spooky stone building in the snow with a killer on the loose.

But is it the same killer as in Part One - hey, go figure! No spoilers there guys.

As a 'tec-pic, Part One ain't bad. It's dark, brooding, depressing at times in the levels of human trauma on show (no-really!), and quite violent - death scenes worthy of horror gore-king Lucio Fulci himself no less. Well, less gory than Lucio maybe - but the thought is still there. The producers do try!

Part Two's slasher movie trappings come a poor second to such second-rate (but still enjoyable to fans), fare as I Know What You Did Last Summer, Halloween..., Friday....etc. The killer, once revealed, is about as scary as Dale Winton tanning himself on the beach at Brighton. Don't know who Dale is rest of the world? He's the UK's Mr Entertainment, nice and cheesy but not very threatening. To anyone. Ever. We don't think. But you never know.....!

So to sum-up D-Tox: There's some good gore. Some good ice. Sly is cool. Cameos from the likes of Kris Kristofferson and Robert Patrick, frankly a bit sad. They don't look very happy to be there at all actually. Their roles are rubbish so you can't blame 'em.

It's thousands of times a better film than Urban Legend or Idle Hands and nowhere near as good as Scream, Jeepers Creepers or I Still Know What You Did Last Summer (a film so gloriously cheesy it's great!).

But wait - D-Tox isn't even a true slasher movie, so why am I comparing it to others in the genre? Maybe because it just wants to be. A slasher movie that is. But with a title like that (or even with its alternative title Eye See You for that matter) what hope does it have? Sly of course. But even his muscles don't hold up entire movies anymore. Almost - but not quite.

Actually pretty good....but

Author: xiriod from .
24 April 2002

Well, this film will keep you in perfect suspense for about 85% of the movie. Then, just when the badguy is announced, it all comes a bit apart. It's like they wanted to wrap the movie up too fast, something was missing, what's and why's that kind of dropped this movie from a 9'er to a 7 for me. But like everything else, everyone has different meanings and views. As a movie to keep you entertained, sure....go see it. It is worth the money, but don't expect an Oscar.

Fairly Good Movie !!

Author: Emile Spreeuwers (spreeuwers@yahoo.com) from Netherlands
18 April 2002

This movie is a good thriller. Also Sly's role was good !!! It isn't a movie you want to see twice, because its a typical "guess who the killer is" movie.

Go see this movie, you will not be disappointed. (Good old fashioned thriller)

Grt, Emile

Stallone fans will enjoy this!

Author: haythalk from United Kingdom
11 April 2002

Ignore what you may have heard about D-Tox over the past few months. As alot of the reviews in IMDB point out, D-tox is not as bad as everyone is made out to believe.

The plot to D-tox is as follows:Sly plays FBI agent Jake Malloy who is on the chase for a serial cop killer.Simply put, Malloys life ends up in virtual ruin in chasing this guy. He ends up with a drink problem and close to the end of his life until his FBI friend intervenes and sends him to a Detox centre out in the wilderness. What follows on arrival at the centre is a series of mysterious suicides.You can guess what happens from then.

As other reviewers have pointed out, the film borrows from movies like 'The Thing' and 'Seven'- which is no bad thing as both are excellent movies. I'm not about to rank this with those films, but to hear some of the critical reviews of this movie, you would think it was the worst film in the world!

Basically, if you are a sly fan you will enjoy it, and even if you are not, its a good movie to keep you entertained for 90 mins or so.

This movie is the best of the trio of recent sly releases, so if you despaired with Driven or forgot carter,then check this out,it really is OK.

I rate it 6.5/10.

Well you're not really expecting an Oscar winner are you?

Author: Happychap (steve@gallifrey.swinternet.co.uk) from Leeds, England.
6 February 2002

If so then you will be disappointed. If on the other hand you are expecting an entertaining enough Stallone movie to pass 90 minutes then this might be more your cup of tea. Ignore the (cue gravel voice) "He was a cop on the edge…." style clichés and an entertainingly different movie awaits you. What could have been a run of the mill serial killer movie is made much better by its relocation to the amazingly creepy and (yes) remote Detox centre, which has been transformed from an army base, to an army asylum to a self help centre for washed up cops. A very haggard Stallone is just such a washed up cop after being unable to save his wife from an obsessed cop killer, he blames himself and hits the bottle. Yep, as I said so far so clichéd. But the settings and locations really lift the film and we are soon in paranoia country as the cops start committing suicide - or do they? (The feeling of paranoia and the snowbound setting really bring to mind John Carpenter's The Thing). Let's face it any of these guys (staff or cops) could be killers - none of them are entirely stable. But which one is it? I could actually launch into a bit of a diatribe about the choice of killer in this movie, for several reasons, but the guessing is not really the point when you're having so much fun. The casting is good with lots of very different types who unfortunately struggle with a real lack of material. Some of the actors are barely in it, just there to make up the body count! But then certain things have to be sacrificed in order to deliver an efficient 90 minute thriller.

It is entertaining enough and will certainly keep you entertained. Most people will know if they're going to like this film before they've even entered the cinema, let's face it if you're a Merchant-Ivory junkie you won't. If you're looking for a slightly different cop / thriller then this could be just what you're looking for.

Standard "mystery killer" movie, with traces of John Carpenter's The Thing

Author: José Pedro Lopes from Porto
1 February 2002

I've just seen this movie, under the name of "Detox". I've read a lot about how the film was too bad to be released, or too violent. The movie is not bad, is just OK. Maybe it is not a "comercial" as it must be do to well in the USA, but that doesn't make him bad. It reminded my of John Carpenter's The Thing since it had people trapped because of snow storm, and there was a killer among them. On the violence issue, I found it a little too violent in the beginning (showing too many dead bodies) but too non-violent when it becomes a "slasher" movie. Stallone is nice, as well the cast is, and the whole movie is nice to watch even if it is no classic (at all). It's not really an action movie, nor a horror movie, nor a mystery thriller. That's the big flaw, it really doesn't make its mind. So it is just ok in every level. But that doesn't mean it is so bad that It cannot be released. Tomb Raider was, Speed 2 was, "Detox" is just another "trapped people \ who's the killer" only with Sly in the lead, wich is something I actually enjoy. So, between saying it was good or bad, I would have to say it was a good movie.

Small but good movie!

Author: Krister Klementsen from Norway
25 January 2002

I`ve always liked Stallone`s movies. "Eye See You", starts of like a high tempo movie, but after 20 minutes or so, it takes on in another direction, but keeps a nice ongoing tempo. The rest of the movie looks mutch like an episode of X-files.

The sound (THX) and picture is very good.

After "Get Carter" and "Driven" it`s suprising to see him do this simple but enjoyable thriller. It probably did not take that long to make, so it might seem like Stallone did this one because he might have had some spare time before starting to work on a bigger prodject.

You get some action and thrills, good actors and no deadtime. So if you like simple and entertaining thrillers, or are a fan of Stallone, like I am. Then you should see it!

I give it 7 out of 10.

Why is it so bad? It should be brilliant.

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
2 December 2013

I was determined to like this. I had seen it years ago and remember not liking it and the hype against it is almost always negative. But Sly Stallone is my Hollywood idol and I am working my way through all his films yet again and I was determined to find all the good in this film. Truth be told, it isn't a total write off and unlike other bad movies I can't pinpoint what exactly is wrong with the movie. It doesn't grip you and it just feels like it is lacking any heart and soul and it doesn't make sense. The story is decent, the tension should be good, the cast are talented actors although most of them are sort of B-List character actors they are still good and yet it is like their is a mysterious missing ingredient that brings it all together. The setting of the wintery rehab centre is perfect for this type of thriller and they use that backdrop decently well. By the time the big reveal happens and the mystery is solved you just don't much care and you'll be long over it by the time the film is over. I do understand why some fans really liked this and there are some out there who gave it huge ratings. It is a dark, twisted, well directed thriller that is unlike anything Stallone has really ever done.

Non-fans will argue until they are blue in the face but Sylvester Stallone has done some versatile work. This is definitely one of those different pieces. He is a scarred former Detective trying to fight his own demons and the killer stalking him. One of the aforementioned issues might be that he plays this character with too much brooding. He broods a lot, beginning to end and sometimes he vanishes into the background because he's so quiet and depressed. The film does nothing to actually deal with his character development. So he is good but fails to lead the film like he has done before and since. The supporting cast is truly impressive in my books. Another issue with the movie might actually be there were too many potentially strong characters so most of them get lost in the shuffle. The legendary Kris Kristofferson is one of the best roles though still underdeveloped as the head of the rehab centre. His gruff and rough character fits the film very well and I wish they had done more with him and more scenes with Sly. Also enjoyed far too brief performances from Robert Patrick, Tom Berenger, Robert Prosky, Jeffrey Wright and Charles S. Dutton. All of them potentially have great characters and performances but its too much in one film for this script. Polly Walker is excruciatingly underused and almost unnecessary to the film and is really just placed there to have a female presence in a male dominated movie. She goes almost completely unnoticed.

It very well could be the inexperience of director Jim Gillespie who really has one big movie to his name (I Know What You Did Last Summer.) I think he probably had delusions of grandeur when it came to this film and he took on way more than he could handle. Then again you also have a writer (Ron L. Brinkerhoff) who also has essentially no experience and you have two heads of this film with very little expertise between them. If you read my reviews you will know this is almost always a rule that writers and directors that lack experience (or directors who direct their own screenplay) often create bombs. I know it takes time to hone a skill but you can usually spot talent even in early work and this one does nothing to inspire. It ends up being drab and disappointing and barely worthy of a straight to video release. Unless you're a Sly obsessed fan like me, don't bother because even he doesn't shine in this. Definitely a dud. 5/10

eye see you but i wish i hadn't seen this

Author: spanky1901 from United States
14 October 2010

Okay its an average movie but there are soooo many flawed things about this movie. I agree with many posters about this movie so this is gonna pretty much back up what has already been said. there was no character development in this movie at all, even Stallone's generic Jack Maloy is an unknown person in this film. All the characters at the detox center, holy cow who was who and who was what and who died when??? i could not tell how many there were and who died because it was just way too much to deal with. Stallone, being one of my favorite actors, did okay in this film but i don't think he gave it his all to this movie, i think it was just a paycheck to him. On the other hand Robert Patric was outstanding nice to see him actually use words in his acting. My biggest problem with this movie is they tried really really hard to cast the blame from this person to that person almost blatantly as to say "hey moron this guy did it....no it was this other person"...viewers are not idiots and i felt like this movie did just that....made me dumber for watching it.