IMDb > Eye See You (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
D-Tox

Eye See You More at IMDbPro »D-Tox (original title)

Page 1 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Flawed, but not *that* bad

Author: Wizard-8 from Victoria, BC
31 December 2002

Well, having not only spent two years on the shelf but getting released straight to video AND the original studio - Universal - disowning it (removing its logo and "Universal presents..." as well as giving it to another studio to release on DVD and video) I was expecting yet another Stallone bomb. Actually, while I would never say it's a good movie, it nowhere as bad as you might think - it's certainly better than recent Stallone turkeys like GET CARTER.

It's actually starts surprisingly well. Not only is Stallone's character given a lot of dialogue, Stallone actually *acts* when delivering it. The subsequent events that traumatize his character are well done, with a genuine eerieness to them. Things continue well for a while longer, showing the utter pit of despair Stallone's character has fallen in, and Stallone once again is up to this challenge.

Then he goes to the detox center, and the movie quickly falls apart. The biggest problems are:

(1) WAY too many characters. It was extremely difficult to remember who was who with all these people walking in and out of the camera. It's also difficult to separate each person in your mind because we hardly learn a thing about each character - if we are lucky.

(2) REALLY bad editing. Scenes (and some individual cuts) go by so quickly that we often don't get the chance to properly digest what we're given to ponder. Two things happening at the same time (in different places) are cut back and forth with no seeming purpose, and no coherent flow. Though the DVD has eight deleted scenes, it's obvious that there was originally a lot more shot. I have to agree with another poster that there are signs there was a desperate effort to save the movie in the editing room.

(3) Once in the detox center, poor Stallone has almost NOTHING to do. He's given almost nothing to say, and frequently sits on the sidelines while things are happening. Not exactly a star vehicle, this movie.

Still, there is a good amount of atmosphere, the movie is briskly paced (though sometimes incoherent because of this), and the sets/production values are pretty decent. While I wouldn't have recommended anyone to see it at a theater if it had gotten released there, you have to remember there have been far worse films (with and without Stallone) that did get such releases.

Stallone is good in this...

Author: alpacino2007 from NY USA
1 November 2004

We all remember him as ''ROCKY'' or ''RAMBO'' it's unfortunately sad that the critics won't agree when sly does anything outside the ''ACTION'' genre....anyway the movie is the kind that you would watch with you're girlfriend or a loved someone on a rainy night...

Troubled ''ex'' cops are in a D-TOX center ..something goes wrong when they start winding up dead...its up too stallone to catch the killer..

Sylvester stallone is good as the main character, Robert patrick ( the guy in the terminator and the x files series ) is really good and gives a 10-10 In his performance in this movie..without giving away anything else..., its a good movie. and stallone just like in the last decade is very very underrated, he CAN act!

*** (3)out of(5) *****

Under Appreciated Murder Mystery!

Author: (bsmith5552@rogers.com) from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
17 April 2003

The real mystery of D-Tox (hereinafter referred to by its video tile, "Eye See You") is why it never found a distributor in North America. I thought it was a good movie. You have to give star Sylvester Stallone a little credit for trying to shed his Rambo he-man image and playing a distraught and tragic hero.

The story involves a serial killer who has been murdering cops and whose murders will be investigated by FBI agent Jake Malloy (Stallone). When the killer murders Malloy's girlfriend Mary (Dina Meyer) he goes into a funk and finds solace at the bottom of a bottle to the point of contemplating suicide. Malloy's friend and partner Hendricks (Charles S. Dutton) convinces him to go to an isolated D-Tox center in Wyoming run by shrink Kris Kristofferson.

Malloy is thrown in with other cops from various locations who also have demons to exorcise. Among them are Christopher Fulford as Slater who tries to befriend him, Noah (Robert Patrick) who has a chip on his shoulder, McKenzie (Robert Prosky), Jones (Courtney B. Vance), Brandon (Mif) and Lopez (Angela Alvarado) among others. Polly Walker plays Jenny a sympathetic nurse and Tom Berenger and Stephen Lang as two suspicious workers at the facility.

It turns out that the serial killer that Malloy thought he had killed earlier, has in fact infiltrated the D-Tox Center and has begun systematically murdering the people there. But who is he or she?

Director Jim Gillespie gives us a murder mystery rather than an action film. It has the isolation and claustrophobic feeling reminiscent of John Carpenter's "The Thing" (1982) except in this case the killer is human and not alien.

Stallone is good in the lead role experiencing a wide range of emotions. Its one of his better performances in recent years. Of the supporting players, Patrick stands out as well as Fulford, Dutton, Prosky, Vance, Alvartado and Lang. Berenger hardly has anything meaningful to do and is wasted here. And watch for Ron Howard's dad Rance Howard as the proprietor of the lodge that Dutton stays at. "Eye See You" is an under appreciated film and deserves a chance to find an audience. It is hoped that the video release will give it proper visibility.

thumbs up, why wasn't this movie publicized more?

Author: Brian Kramer (bdk52156) from Newton, IA
27 December 2002

I just watched a screener copy of this movie. I was thoroughly entertained. The plot was very sharp, and for a Stalone movie the acting was better than average. The movie was filled with actors that enjoy acting. Maybe the best part of the movie was just when you think you have the plot figured out there is a complete change of direction. I think that helped keep my attention. I actually got interested in the charactors and really wanted to figure out who the bad guy was. I could recommend, with a clear conscience, this movie to anyone.

Dark Detective Mystery with Suspense and some Action

Author: Mr Dalton from Houston, TX
9 March 2003

I was in a dark mood and my DVD rental matched it. An older Sylvester Stallone once again moves away from the 'invincible hero' image towards a 'vulnerable consummate professional' image. Although it unfortunately includes today's staple of graphic violence, the suspense still overwhelmes. Several established names portray unusual characters whose real personalities unwantingly surface in the course of events. Overall the mystery of a whodunit dominates until almost the end. To increase the mood of darkness founded by the story's theme, the bulk of the film is shot at an isolated location in mostly dark, low light scenes. Characters are sufficiently defined for emotional association by viewer. This film effectively accomplishes its task of delivering entertaining escapism for its target audience during what today is considered a short runtime of 1-1/2 hours.

Missed Oppurtunity

Author: cooler_king3 from Loudon, Tennessee
10 March 2004

I was very dissapointed by this movie. Not because of what it was, but because of what it could have been. The movie didn't seem to know what it wanted to be. The first half of the movie was completely different than the second half. I actually enjoyed the movie until the killing at the detox center started.

If this movie was a drama about cops recovering from their addictions I think it would have been pretty good. The problem was that half way through the movie became a whodunnit slasher movie. Jim Gillespie seemed to be stuck back in the I Know What You Did Last Summer mode and forgot that he was making a legitimate movie.

The worst thing about the movie was Tom Berenger. His character had no importance except to throw you off and make you think that he's the killer. It was a completely pointless character. I was however impressed by the performances by Jeffrey Wright (although they seemed to forget that he existed in the last 20 minutes), and Sean Patrick Flannery (first killed off unfortunately).

I think this could've been quite good as a dramatic story about a cop in detox trying to come to terms with his problems, but as a serial killer thriller this movie is a flop.

Predictable but watchable thriller

Author: davideo-2 from United Kingdom
1 February 2002

STAR RATING:*****Unmissable****Very Good***Okay**You Could Go Out For A Meal Instead*Avoid At All Costs

Stallone and the director of I Know What You Did Last Summer sound like an intriguing combination.But this belated picture isn't really.Sly's performance works more thanks to the script than to him,thanks to some emotive scenes at the beginning,otherwise he's as blank as he was in the Rambo movies.Worse than that,the story is told in a really straight-forward,unoriginal way,you can see scenes coming before you've even seen them.There are few real jolts or surprises.There's some okay action in between,but to be honest,it's hard to understand why this didn't go straight to video.**

Like a diesel engine takes awhile to get humming

Author: John Wilkes Booth from Sandgate
8 July 2004

The exposition was the worst and least helpful portion of this monster of a film, without it this would have been a Beckett with action and with it just another pell mell hodgepodge of a movie with solid twists and enough gore to disgust or excite the most cynical watcher.

Sylvester Stallone (its no Copland or Rambo), Charles Dutton (doing his best Scatman Cruthers from the Shining), Stephen Lang (underutilized unlike in Gods and Generals), Robert Patrick (intense but weak beneath the veneer is well done) Kris Kristofferson (was alright as the doc) Courtney B Vance (the deacon) Tom Berenger (a phenomenal janitor) and Polly Walker (great, reticent, countenance cadenced voice, nurse) comprise the expensive cast among many others that I simply don't know from other works.

I actually liked this movie, I did not expect much, but overall given a few things I would have done differently could have made some money at the box office, though the critics would attack it like blood to sharks.

Fluid transitions with flashbacks, personal vignettes and dark mysterious catacombs of an air force radar station converted to a rehab facility, those cold war cutbacks really hit hard, create an honestly creepy environs that most directors and screenwriters skip for a graphic sex scene, profanity or a non-sequiter bout of over acting... I liked this movie the more I saw it and the more I thought about why such terrific actors had agreed to appear in this, aside from the money of course.

Allusions to the Thing, Switchback, the Shining, Sliver (which had Berenger and Polly Walker in it), Crimson Rivers, and a myriad of other horror, sci-fiction and thrillers while running the gambit of the serial killer genre 'cliches' and Sam Peckinpah features later in his life.

With a little more life this would have been a great movie...but instead I liked it no rhyme or reason why, I just liked it.

Good Movie

Author: pig_71 from Cowpens, SC
31 December 2002

Why the crap did this get bad reviews? I mean, it is not a classic, but my god it was damn entertaining. There are some big story gaps but it is fun none-the-less. Stallone actually goes deeper into acting than his usual and it is surprisingly very good. Check it out anyways. *** out of *****

A good thriller well worth watching

Author: kevin-caprani from United Kingdom
8 May 2006

I'm not going to bother with a detailed analysis of the film, its a perfectly good thriller which will provide an evenings entertainment for any one who likes the genre, plenty of action and tension in an isolated setting, I'm mystified why it has received so much criticism,its a perfectly good piece of cinema for the masses, i voted a ten just to try and get the average up but really its a good 6 to 7.Perhaps its just fashionable to find fault with everything stallone does, he sure has done some duffers but this isn't one of them, rocky and the rambo series typecast him for a while as a dumbo who acts dumbos, but he has shown a much greater variety of acting ability in subsequent films, but i admit i am fearfull of the rumours that another rambo and rocky film are a possibility!

Page 1 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]