IMDb > Charlie's Angels (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Charlie's Angels

Charlie's Angels More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 65: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Surprisingly good

Author: da_hal from Honolulu, Hawaii
25 November 2000

I went in with low expectations, but I actually enjoyed the film. The story is surprising, and not as cliche'd as so many others nowadays. There's no virus that will kill everybody, or nuclear bombs, or anything like that.

I'm a big martial arts fan, and I was happy to see the Matrix fight scene techniques used in this film. The girls pull it off surprisingly well. Actually, the worst fighter of the three was Liu. Also, Drew Barrymore is a tad too heavy to pull off convincing wire work.

So, I'm going to be in line to get a copy of the video, and kudos to the producers for putting together an entertaining, if not memorable, film.

Totally stupid moments hamper the fun of it, but still entertaining

Author: DvdJervs
24 November 2000

After seeing the movie for the first time today I just had to make a comment. On the whole I found the film enjoyable. It's not meant to be taken seriously at all, so anyone who prefers this shouldn't waste their time. The film's main focus is pure fun, and it delivers. However it sometimes gets in the way. The reason being is because there are some scenes in the movie that are just SO stupid, I had a hard time watching it even though I knew it wasn't supposed to be taken seriously. I think even in films like this there has to be a least some sort of plausability otherwise it's just totally worthless. Here's an example:

* spoiler *

Take for instance where Drew Barrymore beats up half a dozen bad guys with her hands tied (you probably saw it in the trailers). After wiping the floor with them what does she do? Some stupid kind of solo jig for the next 20 seconds as she exits the room, for absolutely no reason whatsoever. Huh? What the hell is that? For a second there she was looking all strong and tough, then she breaks into this with a giddy smile on her face. I know the movie isn't to be taken seriously but scenes like this are taking it to far. There are other moments similar to this but thankfully not too many.

* end spoiler *

Aside from the above mentioned quibbles the film is entertaining mostly. All the actors look to be having a good time in their roles. And it was a joy to have John Forsythe return to do his ever brilliant voice of 'Charlie'. All up I'd say give it a whirl if you've got time, just don't expect anything of Oscar calibre (aside perhaps from the special effects) and be prepared from some REALLY stupid moments.

Final score: 3.5 out 5 stars

Can you say cheese?

Author: Beth DiLeo (oola@hotmail.com) from California
24 November 2000

This film must be the campiest, cheesiest, most ridiculous film I have seen yet....all of these slow motion shots with hair being tossed into the wind, the unzipped jumpsuits, the double entendres, the James Bond-esque puns.....gosh. And yet it was so much fun! We had strong female figures using their charms to fight crime and kick some proverbial rear end. Lucy Liu was hilarious in her presentation before the computer company, and it was priceless to see (spoiler) Drew Barrymore and Cameron Diaz in drag. What this film could have used was a bit less cleavage and a bit more substance, but that would have ruined the campy fun part...In any case, it was a fluffy little picture and is guaranteed to make you laugh.

Mindless, yes -- entertaining, no

Author: (fredrikwestin77@hotmail.com) from Menlo Park, CA
20 November 2000

Having read an astounding number of users praising this movie, I am compelled to share my opposing view.

I went to see this movie last night, and it had me annoyed for hours afterwards. It was a complete waste of time. The only redeeming quality of this movie is the abundant imagination, or rather persistence, used to tie together countless scenes of nudity, in the fruitless attempts to create a plot.

The action consists of car crashes, explosions, gun fights, martial arts. This should be used to spice a movie up, not be the main ingredient, as is the case here. The Matrix, Die Hard etc are great, but this is pointless.

The movie is not funny. The occasional jokes are outright awful. No intelligent woman, nor a man who has intimately known one, can find this material endurable. "Charlie's angels" doesn't take itself seriously, that is apparent. Neither does it take people's time and attention seriously. It will give you nothing in return except half-naked girls, of which $8.75 gets you a lot more from other videos, or resources.

Huh?????

Author: jjgoods2000 from Fort Lauderdale
19 November 2000

I really cannot see anyone giving this movie a good reveiw. Sure I am a fan of excess cleavage like the next guy, but .. huh???

I am still trying to figure out the direction of this movie, was it action, was it suppose to be a spoof? a comedy? If they were trying to pull all of the above off at once, than they did a very sorry job. My expectations for movies are low, and I am entertained by just about anything, I loved all the naked gun movies, and watched the Army Of Darkness 53 times (yes 53). But there is two movies in a long history of movie watching I walked out of the theatre from, One was the batman and robin movie (George Clooney as batman) and the second was this garbage, Charlies Angels.

I wasn't a fan of the original series, but I feel for those who were, I cannot say enough to express my sorrow of the monstrosity they call a movie.

Watchable Mishmash

Author: Charles Herold (cherold) from United States
19 November 2000

Charlie's Angels begins with a really great tracking shot. You move down the aisle, and each passenger is somehow distinct; a woman who's cold, a couple making out. This is followed by a cute in-joke and a James Bondian piece of action. Having given us a really impressive five minutes the movie, exhausted, wanders around aimlessly until the end credits.

The main problem with Charlie's Angels is it doesn't quite know what it is. It wants women to be strong and powerful but it also wants to be shamelessly exploitive. The director should have watched some episodes of Cleopatra 2525, a show with tough-as-nails, scantilly dressed women that is campy enough to keep from being offensive. Angels does not camp it up, having Cameron dance in her underwear with no self-consciousness.

The action scenes are pretty good, but the director is way too in love with the action-in-slow-motion idea. Matrix did this a little to good effect, Angels pounds you over the head with it.

The best thing about the movie is Crispin Glover, a mute villain who says more in one insane look than the rest of the movie conveys with a dozen bikinis.

A fun roller-coaster ride!

Author: thompsoncory from Deale, Maryland
19 November 2000

I saw Charlies Angels recently and I was impressed. Sure, the plot sucks, but the action and comedy made it well worth the trip. Cameron Diaz and Drew Barrymore turn in great performances and the hilarious Tom Green has a small cameo as a seaboat captian. The soundtrack is cool, the acting is good, and it is one of the treats of the fall season. Lucy Liu and Bill Murray are also good, but this movie basically belongs to Cameron Diaz. She is great as the strong but stupid girl who falls in love with Luke Wilson. You should go out and see Charlie's Angels right now. If not for the dumb plot, go for the action sequences, which are worth the price of admission.

Unadulterated piffle

Author: timbrom from Norfolk, Virginia
19 November 2000

Some friends, rather surprisingly, recommended this to me. Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered. I now wish I hadn't. A storyline thin to the point of vanishing and utterly wooden perfomances from all but Curry, Diaz and Murray, the last two of whom were utterly wasted. If this was meant to be the "girlie" equivalent of Mission Impossible, it missed by several miles. Some girls may get a kick out of seeing girls kick chaps in the groin and some chaps may get a kick out of watching the three eponymous heroines gad about in sexy clothes. If you don't fall into either category, save your time and money and give this one a miss.

Lots of Fun

Author: Ed Wagner (ecwagner@yahoo.com) from United States
19 November 2000

Not serious...very cartoonish. But most of all, a lot of fun. The action scenes stretch the bounds of reality, but unlike Mission Impossible 2, they are supposed to. If you want a good laugh and watch a good entertaining movie, go see "Charlie's Angels".

A horrible, horrible film.

Author: Patrick McGinley from Veracruz, Mexico
18 November 2000

This movie is so bad that not even the outtakes at the end are funny. The only thing that doesn't make it a complete waste of ones hard earned cash is Cripin Glover's performance as one of the henchmen. He is truly amazing in the two and a half scenes he's in.