IMDb > Charlie's Angels (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 64:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

High-spirited, infectious ridiculousness

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
26 June 2005

Head-spinning collage of technically marvelous effects in theatrical remake of cult late-'70s TV series. Drew Barrymore, Cameron Diaz and Lucy Lui are attractive, funny, resourceful, sexy and--most importantly (and surprisingly) quite convincing as super-detectives. Their case (involving rival software companies, a kidnapping, and the planned assassination of boss Charlie) doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and Bill Murray is out-of-it as confidante Bosley, but director McG's modern-comic action is so lightning-fast and silky smooth you may be having too much fun to notice. Some of the satire is actually rather smart, and the girls are game for just about anything. **1/2 from ****

Eye Candy No-Brainer Fun To Watch

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
29 March 2007

This is a stylish and entertaining action film, albeit a stupid one mentality-wise. However, there are a lot of movies in that category, so you just put your brain on "hold" and enjoy the ludicrous story. Here, it's three gorgeous babes kicking the tar out of everyone.....which IS ridiculous!

The story may be lame but the visuals are a real treat, and I don't mean just the girls, Cameron Diaz, Drew Barrymore and Lucy Liu. The colors in this movie are vivid and fun to view.

The story is cartoon-like in nature and and funny in a number of sots. If you took this story seriously, you'd be insulted. The only warning I would give is for smaller kids because there are a lot of sexual innuendos in here along with a number of closeup shots of cleavage and butts. (Not that I am complaining!)

Just Plain Fun !

Author: namdc from Palm Springs CA
5 August 2005

There's no intellectual challenges made in this movie's plot, and that's how it should be; the characters are only slightly more fleshed-out than any of the ones from the TV show, and that's also not a bad thing - if you put too much seriousness into this kind of film, you wind up killing the roaring-good times to be had. What really makes the film work is the charisma ( & physical charms )of the 3 leading ladies, combined with well-choreographed action sequences and the tongue-in-cheek script. If you enjoy Diaz, Barrymore & Liu ( not to mention Bill Murray )when they're on the screen, you'll love this flick.

An enjoyable piece of fluff

Author: Normandie2001 from Australia
14 April 2001

I went to see 'Charlie's Angels' out of interest after all the interesting coverage from the set.

The laughably complex plot seems to flow along well with the movie. I found it particularly funny, and enjoyed all the fighting scenes and the fabulous soundtrack.

The performances impressed me the most. Everyone looks like they're having fun, but my favourite was Natalie (Cameron Diaz). When she smiles, you can't help but smile along with her. I also admired that the girls also did all their own stunts, something not too common in films. And despite the rumours, Bill Murray and the girls had good chemistry and he proved an able sidekick to the girls.

With that said, I'll say four words: Bring on the sequel!

Charlie would approve.

Author: vip_ebriega from Philippines
20 September 2008

My Take: Energetic, mindless summer eye-candy entertainment.

It's easy to smirk or be nit-picky at something quite as silly as a $92 million big-screen version of CHARLIE'S ANGELS. Looking back, its roots date back to a successful yet critically-reviled TV series in the 70's. Bring it here, at our modern period, and be sure to be laughed at. Joel Schumacher did it, in his 1997 mega-expensive bomb (if you call any movie grossing more than a hundred million dollars, a bad as it is, a bomb) BATMAN AND ROBIN, which was immensely hated by everyone (including yours truly). Now comes CHARLIE'S ANGELS, another big-budget comedy action film lifted from some age that probably no longer exists (at least not on our generation). It's director is a former MTV director. And the script, forget it! How could they make a movie like this? Or maybe a more interesting question would be, after watching it, how could I have possibly loved it? Yes! Regardless of having to remind myself that it was meant to be ridiculous, I positively loved CHARLIE'S ANGELS, silliness and all. You can nitpick all the dumbness and stupidity of the script, but here's someone (among a surprisingly high number of others) who are happy to defend its silliness. It's pure style-over-substance matter, and the style really won me over. The stunts are completely unbelievable, the story probably never left the 70's and the script, the whole script, injects enough camp to make this piece sit right there with the original TV show (of which I wasn't exposed to). But the great thing about that is it was thrown in for laughs and a whole lot of fun. The entire piece never took itself seriously, throwing it a lot of brainless fun at every turn. Director McG (born Joseph McGinty Nichol) uses his stylish skills as an MTV director to good use. Every bit feels like an exhilarating no-questions-asked playhouse of brainless style, and I mean that in the nicest of ways.

The film is one-part MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE (and in one instance, after the Angels have described their plan to break in to a room, like that in the MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE movie, one of their superiors tells them "That's impossible", followed by a "Sounds like fun" response of excitement from the crime-fighting Angels), another-part John Woo action flick, one-part pure 70's camp and another part spoof of it all, and thrown in, for good measure, some MATRIX-inspired slow-mo stunts. After opening with one of its first few outrageous stunt sequences, the story proceeds, concerning a new set of Angels, including smart and uber-sexy Natalie (Cameron Diaz), tough-cookie but never-not-attractive Dylan (Drew Barrymore) and no-nonsense and no-less sex-appeal Alex (Lucy Liu), as always taking orders from unseen voice-in-a-speakerphone Charlie (voiced by John Fosythe, returning to his voice-acting role form the TV show). Their new mission: Retrieve a stolen voice-recognition software from wealthy programmer Eric Knox (Sam Rockwell). They suspect it may be the owner of a rival company (Tim Curry), but the plot thickens. But what plot? This is all but a clothesline for a series of gravity-defying (or at least every form of science imaginable) stunts (an extremely enjoyable array of fight sequences and a slam-bang helicopter finale). There's humor too, provided by the always reliable Bill Murray as Bosley, Charlie's liaison and the Angels' reliable comic-relief sidekick. Bonus points go to the oddball Crispin Glover as the "Creepy Thin Man" for providing the finest silent villain since Jaws in THE SPY WHO LOVED ME.

CHARLIE'S ANGELS is still bound to create a sort of love-hate relationship amongst its viewers. Some will probably hate it for its total disregard of logic and sense. Others will embrace it for what it is: A good, fluffy entertainment (a guilty pleasure if you will). I'm joining that club!

Rating: **** out of 5.

Silly, but quite enjoyable if you're in the mood.

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
20 June 2002

Three little girls have become three little ladies who work as special agents for Charlie (via intermediary Bosley). When they are contracted in to get evidence of Roger Corwin stealing the kidnapped Eric Knox's voice recognition device. The agents are successful but Knox turns out to have more sinister motives and the angels find themselves fighting to protect Charlie and Bosley.

Yet another in a line of film remake's of old TV shows, in the words of LL Cool J `yet another remake of an old TV show'. However this just about succeeds for one simple reason – it never tries to take itself seriously. This works because it can be camp, silly and OTT because we know it's meant to be. The plot is OK and has some reasonable twists but really the jokes and action move it along. The silliness can get a bit much at times and is a little tiring.

For example we have far too many shots of the girls tossing their hair, and too many scenes that mean nothing. Eg a high speed car chase ends on a bridge but it has no reason for happening and nothing happens as a result. The fights are very OTT and are very much a matrix rip off – they are only just saved by the tongue in cheek attitude of the film. But even then they still silly.

The cast are OK but really they are just playing daft. Rockwell is really good and Bill Murray saves the whole film by being really funny. Tom Green is in it because his girlfriend felt sorry for him and wanted him to be in a film that got shown in a cinema outside of the US, however his character is stupid and pointless. Wilson is good and LL Cool J makes a good cameo, but Tim Curry has been better.

Overall it's enjoyable if you're in the mood for silly popcorn trash. If you're not in the mood this will only serve to irritate you at how poor Hollywood blockbusters can be.

A bubbly and fun popcorn movie with lots of action and lots of laughs

Author: antonjsw1 from United Kingdom
21 April 2013

This is not a serious drama. It works as well as it does due to the very colourful, fun and tongue firmly in cheek vibe that permeates throughout the film. This is mainly down to the zany atmosphere created by first time film-maker, but expert pop-promo director McG, In fact the real tribute has to go to him for crafting a film this good out of a very difficult production, which faced an incomplete script, and personality clashes between some of the cast. The film is clearly tongue in cheek, and references a lot of the stereotypical visual elements of action movies. From matrix bullet time to music video like super slow motion shots, the films works slapstick comedy into a serviceable plot. The three leading ladies are good value, ably supported by the rest of the cast, albeit Bill Murray's role seems to almost like a one man stand up show has been worked into the film, and seems a little out of place. Russell Carpenter's photography is vibrant and colourful, and musical choices work well for the story.

Overall a lot of enjoyable fun!

Ravishing and lethal detectives rescue stolen software.

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
8 June 2001

This is a clever big-screen adaption of the popular '70s TV series. A trio of martial arts trained detectives with drop dead gorgeous looks work exclusively for an unseen boss 'Charlie' Townsend(John Forsythe). The angels are played by Cameron Diaz, Drew Barrymore and Lucy Liu. With the sometimes inept help of Charlie's assistant Bosley(Bill Murray), the striking detectives investigate a kidnapping and retrieve some highly technical software that could lead to the death of their boss.

Also in the cast of this fun, run and gun romp are:Tim Curry, Matt LeBlanc, Kelly Lynch and a very impressive villain played by Crispin Glover. If you have yet to fall in love with Miss Diaz, you deserve no mercy. She proves again to be charming, sexy and very talented. Miss Barrymore also has that way of being funny while not losing an ounce of sex appeal.

Although contrived and a bit silly this movie is an action filled escape. There is no doubt that this explosive trio of crime-fighters will be back to use their skills and complete their mission. Thank you, Angels!

My teenage obsession packed full of action, eye candy and laughs

Author: Stompgal_87 from United Kingdom
6 December 2013

I vividly remember this film being publicised and Destiny's Child's 'Independent Women Part 1' being in the charts as well as clips from this film being featured in the video when I was 13. I wanted to see this film when it was out in the cinemas but I couldn't see it then because I was too young due to its 15 certificate in the UK (strangely enough, it's a 12 in Ireland and a PG-13 in America) but when I was 14, my mum hired the DVD and I watched it under her supervision due to its violent content, meaning I was okay. Finally when I turned 15, I received the DVD for my birthday, that complemented my PS2 perfectly, and I'd watch it every day after school to write down the script, much to my sister's annoyance and frustration. I still have that DVD and I also found the film on LoveFilm Instant. After having watched it for the first time in a while, I thoroughly enjoyed watching it just as much as I did as a teenager.

I'd already heard of Cameron Diaz and Drew Barrymore when this film came out but this was the first time I'd ever heard of Lucy Liu, all of whom played the Angels perfectly with their high-octane stunts, numerous disguises and active leading roles, especially Diaz as Natalie, my favourite Angel who I found the funniest with her laugh-out-loud lines and superb dance moves, whether in her dream or against a Soul Train replica stage. The story was gripping and dramatic, especially when the Angels discover that Eric Knox's kidnapping was a set-up and have to get their Bosley back. The lines are mostly fun if a bit silly yet memorable while the soundtrack is very good and I also have that on CD. Not only did the film's soundtrack feature songs that were on CD but also songs that were not on it (e.g. Michael Jackson's 'Billie Jean' and Blur's 'Song 2') and snippets of incidental music consisting of various arrangements of the 'Charlie's Angels' theme tune plus some eerie, powerful and tense pieces. A lot of hard work and effort were put in the stunts and action scenes, the film is somewhat fast-paced and some of the special effects are incredible, especially the camera zooming into the cloudy sky of the Columbia logo before cutting to a plane flying against a real sky and the slow-motion bullet Knox fires when the moment he shoots Dylan out of the window is replayed. Afterwards, Dylan rushes towards a house where two boys are playing a computer game and she asks them for help, that house being the one featured in 'E.T. The Extra Terrestrial' in which Barrymore starred when she was a little girl. I was so impressed with the leading ladies' roles in this film that it prompted me to watch other works of theirs such as Diaz in 'There's Something About Mary,' Liu in 'Ally McBeal' and Barrymore in '50 First Dates.' This film also inspired me to write a spin-off television episode that was based on the Simpsons episode 'Trilogy of Error' as well as a crossover story in which the Angels meet Shrek (the titular character of yet another brilliant Diaz movie). While this film has several mistakes as listed on the likes of Slipups.com and Movie Mistakes.com, they were still fun to spot and were saved by the humour and the action sequences. The outtakes at the end were a laugh as well.

Overall, this is an amazing girlie action flick that features memorable dialogue, stunning stunts, fantastic special effects and a superb soundtrack. I also recommend the sequel, 'Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle,' which is even better. 10/10.

Huh???

Author: Phenryss from Fairbanks, AK
4 November 2000

Well, I know expecting to have some coherent plot would be asking too much from a Charlie's Angels movie...but did it have to be SOOOOOOO bad? They wasted alot of good talent. Cameron Diaz, Lucy Lui and Bill Murray can and HAVE done so much better. It was sad. I expected to laugh...I just wanted OUT!!! I have never felt so much like leaving a movie...mid-way thru...just wish they did not cost so much, or I would have!

Page 1 of 64:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]