IMDb > "Jeopardy!" (1984) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Jeopardy!"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Jeopardy!" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

The Greatest Quiz Show of All Time!

Author: consortpinguin from NH -- the First primary State
10 May 2001

Over the course of more than 50 years of television history, there have been many game shows. Some of them very good and some really awful. "Jeopardy" stands head and shoulders above any other game show ever made!

The reason I like Jeopardy is that it challenges the contestants both in the studio and watching at home. The questions are very intelligent and require some thought. I consider myself pretty smart and well-educated and I find it challenging. And it's very entertaining. It does not "talk down" to any viewer.

I don't get to watch Jeopardy very often because I'm so busy and don't watch a lot of TV. But we have had the home game for many years -- first as the board game, then as the DOS version computer game and now as the CD-ROM Windows 98/NT/2000 version with all the special effects. I have played this game with my children who are now teenagers and find it very educational. Without trying you can actually learn things about history, geography, music, art, and many, many other topics.

I like the college Jeopardy because it is geared for a younger generation and it is very challenging to the contestants. Middle aged folks like myself may not know all the new hip music and movies. The only variant I don't like is Celebrity Jeopardy because, like "Hollywood Squares" they can be just too cute to stomach. The "Saturday Night Live" parodies are a hoot!

Alex has been criticized by some of the other viewers but he keeps the show on track and on time, not an easy task.

I don't think I'd have the nerve to personally be a contestant on the real TV show, but I enjoy blurting out the answers at home with my family, and I play the home game.

Too many television shows are aimed at the "Lowest Common Denominator" of viewer, but Jeopardy is both entertaining and challenging to people even who have above average intelligence and education. I think it is the BEST game show EVER!!!!

I'll take "The Best Game Show Ever" for $1,000, Alex.

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
26 July 2006

I guess that the reason that "Jeopardy!" is so great is that it really challenges you to think, and I've learned so many interesting facts from it. I hope to be a contestant one day. Obviously, Ken Jennings's winning streak was beyond impressive, and the "Celebrity Jeopardy!" spoofs on "Saturday Night Live" are priceless. But it all dates back to this show's premise of forming the answer as a question. It must be really fun coming up with the answers.

I will say that the Clue Crew is unnecessary. But either way, I still say that this is the best game show ever. Alex Trebek is one heckuva host. There will never be another show like this.

So which category to take now?

one heck of a game show

Author: mattkratz (themattk@hotmail.com) from Richardson, TX
7 December 2005

This will be remembered as one of the best game shows of all time, bar none. They have the perfect host in Alex Trebek. I love the gimmick of revealing the answer and having the contestants guess the question to go along with it. I wish they hadn't discontinued giving prizes to the runners-up though. Those were cool. I love seeing how many of the questions I can guess correctly when I watch it. Perhaps the most recent thing it will be remembered for was Ken Jennings's amazing run of 74 straight wins. That was incredible. Here's to Ken! I also love the final jeopardy theme song. I also tuned in almost every day to the Ultimate Tournament of Champions, which was a great idea. I actually remembered a few of the contestants on that. Hats off to a truly great game show! *** out of ****

The top of the game show biz

Author: vranger from United States
8 June 2009

As a kid I watched Jeopardy in its first incarnation with Art Fleming, and it was always first on my list of game shows. It was disappointing to see it disappear, but exciting when it came back in 1984.

The 'new' Jeopardy was just as good as the first version, and Alex Tribek has always delivered a touch of class as the host. Somehow he manages to give the impression that he knows all this stuff, though of course that is patently impossible. Or maybe by this time he's seen all the material enough times that he DOES know it! LOL When it comes to the high concept game show, Jeopardy is pure. The only luck involved is how well a set of categories happens to match the individual knowledge of the contestants, and with 12 categories per game, that mostly averages out.

Measure your own success against the question at the BOTTOM of the board. If you can get 7 of those 12 questions and two thirds of the Final Jeopardies correct consistently, you should test to become a contestant.

Hard but fun!!!!!

Author: Seth Nelson from (Near) D/FW Airport, Texas, USA
13 September 2006

Merv Griffin envisioned another great show, and that was "Jeopardy!" The Alex Trebek version first aired in 1984, and it was a huge success. It was an even larger success in 2004 when, thanks to the change in rules stating that contestants can keep on playing as long as they keep on playing, it proved great for Salt Lake City man Ken Jennings!!!!! He has racked up over a million dollars in cash, and was happy to be on that show!!!!!

Anyways, the game consists of a large video board with seven categories. These questions are tough; I know we have to use the W-H questions to answer, but the questions are so tricky, we're like "OH !!!!!" when we find out that the question is actually easy!!!!! Here's an example: These two men found a very edgy bookstore. I could only think of Barnes and Noble, but that "edgy" part tricked me, as it was "BORDERS !!!!!" That's how funny this show can be. I also remember the Before and After category; "Larry King Kong" still cracks me up to this day!!!!! There was also "Gone with the Windshield," "Tinker Bell Curve," etc.

I don't watch this show anymore because it's always on at an inconvenient time!!!!! Grrrrr.... But still, this is a great show that is now High-Def!!!!!

10 stars

Best Game Show Ever

Author: TheExpatriate700 from United States
3 January 2012

Jeopardy is arguably the best game show around today. Tougher and more competitive than Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, it is at once entertaining and educational. Alex Trebek is a classic game show host, whose mere presence adds to the show.

Whereas Millionaire has one set of questions that the player must go through one by one, Jeopardy adds an element of choice to the game, as players have to pick the category and prize level of their question. This element requires strategy on the part of the competitors, particularly when confronted with Daily Doubles where one can bet all one's winnings.

The questions (or answers as the case may be) are also crafted well. Whereas other quiz shows rely heavily on trivia for the most part, Jeopardy requires an expansive knowledge of obscure topics, with heavy doses of literary obscurities and arcane history. It is one of the few shows on today that should be required viewing for school children.

The show has slipped somewhat in recent years. The addition of the "Clue Crew" was a definite misstep, while the extensive use of video clues seems to be something of a distraction. Luckily, the producers seem to have gotten the message, and have cut down on the Crew considerably. (Although one could argue that having Trebek do video clues in costume only detracts from his dignity, which is part of the show's appeal.) Still, Jeopardy remains one of the truly great game shows.

Today's Final Jeopardy Category is: "Ahl-ex Spakes Fronch"! Translation: "Alex Speaks French!"

Author: John T. Ryan (redryan64@hotmail.com) from United States
10 November 2007

"JEOPARDY" had been a very good TV Quiz Show program 1964-75. Pleasant and properly "High Brow" Art Fleming, an Actor by trade, was the Host/Emcee for the length of the show's run. The show was slotted as part of NBC's Daytime Line-Up. It was abruptly canceled in 1975. After all of its success, it got the ax, anyway.

Well, wouldn't you know it, but after this 9 year hiatus, "JEOPARDY" was back. It seems that the American Televiewing Audience was ready for ready for a Round 2 in this bout. And after a slow start, it sure looks like this may well be a Championship Bout, with a return bout or two.

This time around, we had the mustachioed Mr. Alex Trebek, installed in the all-important Host/M.C. position. Amiable, knowledgeable (Hell, He's got the Answer Cards!) and possessing a commanding Stage Presence, the Canadian-born Mr. Trebek had gotten his earlier broadcast experience with the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation as a Newsman. Then he did some Game Shows on the CBC before coming south across the World's Longest unfortified border to the U.S. of A. and the National Broadcasting Company for a gig on a forgotten game show called "THE WIZARD OF ODDS".(1973-74) This got Alex's then long haired and Kaiser Wilhelm mustached countenance out in front, where his talents and abilities took over, keeping him continually in the public spotlight (a prime requisite in this Network Game Show Host Racket).

So, by that Orwellian Watershed year of 1984, Alex was ready to get in front of the camera as well as doing a share of the Producer chores on the retooled "JEOPARDY" This time the show would not have to put the decision of its life or death into the hands, and at the whim of any Network "Suits". Creator Merv Griffin, Columbia-Tri Star TV (later known as Sony Pictures Television) and Alex all gambled on putting all their eggs into the 'Basket' called Syndication. The risk seems to have been a big one, but one that sure paid dividends as it all worked out.

That it was highly successful is now strictly academic! The proof is most definitely in the pudding. And this pudding has been around now for some 23 broadcast seasons in syndication and counting. So now they've more than doubled the run of the original series' run and they continue to add to their own record! You see now just what the international co-operation of these 2 North American Giants can accomplish! Canada, represented by Mr. Alex Trebek, and the United States, represented by the Late Mr. Merv Griffin, can both stand tall, brave and free; even they are both definitely in "JEOPARDY!"

The Best Game Show on TV

Author: hfan77 from St. Louis Park, MN
13 February 2008

After a slow start in it's debut year 1984,Jeopardy has evolved into the best game show on TV and my personal favorite. Merv Griffin did the right thing and went back to the original format from the Art Fleming era, this time with a video monitor game board and keeping the original "think music." Alex Trebek has become one of TV's best game show hosts and the show has no signs of going stale as the case may be with other long-running TV show. It's a game that everyone can play along at home and the degree of difficulty varies per category.

What has kept the show fresh over the years has been the addition of the "Clue Crew", who gives clues from remote locations, the various tournaments (teen, college, celebrity and earlier seniors) and the elimination of the five game limit for champions, paving the way for the game's greatest player, Ken Jennings. When he was on his unprecedented winning streak, I would tape each episode.

Now in it's 24th year, with a firm renewal through 2012, Jeopardy will remain the best game show on TV.

The Best Game Show in History

Author: Brooklyn Sherman
30 December 2010

My favorite game show is Jeopardy!. People are always saying it's way too hard, etc., etc., but you know, I get some facts from it. I like seeing how many answers I can get right and, like I said, learning from it. I only started watching it recently, so I don't know if there were any other hosts, but I love Alex Trebek. I just think he's great.

Jeopardy! is a great trivia show. Instead of giving the answers, you have to give the questions, which, in my opinion, is a creative way to test your knowledge since there are many, many, answers to the answer before you. It seems much easier answering a direct question, but answering a direct answer? Especially one that gives a lot of information that you may not know? It's considerably harder.

To conclude, all I have to say is you should watch it. Gain some knowledge.

An Institution On Night Time Programming

Author: Desertman84 from United States
14 February 2015

Jeopardy! is a game show that has become an institution at night.It features contestants in a quiz competition wherein they are presented with clues in the form of answers and must phrase their answers in a form of question.Alex Trebek has been the host of the show for the last 30+ years.It has remained popular for many years now that movies and TV shows have parodied it constantly.

This is definitely one of the most educational show in TV history.Viewers will definitely will get informed and educated aside from getting entertained while watching the show.Also,one will also be astonished at the amount of information and general knowledge that the contestants have acquired in all ages whether High School or College students as well the professionals adults.A great quiz show indeed!!!!

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]