IMDb > "Great Performances" (1971) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Great Performances"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Great Performances" More at IMDbPro »

and the greatest performance was...

Author: chiarafumo from Oakland, CA
11 July 2004

"Nixon in China", which was shown on April 15, 1988. Peter Sellars directed his usual wonderful cast of James Maddalena as Richard Nixon and Sandford Sylvan as Chou En-lai in John Adams' superb opera about Nixon's visit to China in February, 1972. (Alice Goodman's libretto was sculpted from the actual words of the historical characters.) One of the nicer touches was that Walter Cronkite, who followed the Nixon entourage, gave the historical grounding for the opera before the performance and then during the intermission.

The music is lyrical and incantatory and the entire cast does it justice. And the staging!... I vividly remember the end of Act 1, when Nixon and Chou toast each other's countries ("Gambei") and as they clink glasses a score of newspaper photographers snap their pictures -- and then all the house lights went out! Wowzy-wow-wow! And Nixon's entrance, as he walks out of a huge mock-up of Air Force One and gives his stiff arms-up salute made me applaud wildly, and I am a flaming leftist.

Ah, if only this were on DVD. Or even VHS. It's unfortunate that it can't be seen at all. After I emailed WNET, the original sponsors of "Great Performances", I received a response that said that they did not own the copyright and weren't really sure who did!

Consider this posting a cry in the wilderness -- please, someone make this work of art available to us.

CANDIDE: Wonderful Patti LuPone and Leonard Bernstein!

Author: Enrique Sanchez from Miami, FL
31 March 2005

Just breathtakingly enjoyable live performance of the now deliciously legendary Leonard Bernstein music.

Patti, if I may call her that because she has become so timelessly endearing, is impeccably wonderful in this comic masterpiece.

Her comic timing is flawless and brings a chuckle that becomes a guffaw at many a moment during this production.

I love satire and this is one of those jewels that have so much undercurrents of social commentary that one viewing or hearing does not reveal everything to the mind's eye or heart's ear.

Fun, fun, fun!

Part of the PBS tradition.

Author: anonymous
12 November 1998

"Great Performances" is the longest running performing arts anthology on television. It is part of the PBS tradition of bringing the arts to viewers free of charge.