IMDb > Top of the Food Chain (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Top of the Food Chain

Top of the Food Chain More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

War of the Worlds meets Twin Peaks meets Airplane!

Author: Jim Manson from St. Paul, MN
16 March 2002

I picked up this movie on a whim at the local video store knowing nothing at all about it. I'm glad I did. This has to be one of the funniest movies I've seen in the past year.

It's hard to even know where to begin. The basic plot is simple. A small town that is dying out is invaded by aliens with a taste for humans.

Minor spoiler- one joke from the movie ahead!

All in all a simple premise. The genius of this movie lies in the acting and the dialogue. The town's people are completely crazy in the most interesting ways. The actors carry it off perfectly. The lead, Campbell Scott, has a deadpan delivery that is hilarious given some of the lines he has in the movie. The end of the movie is stolen however by Tom Everett Scott who delivers one of the most amazing performances I've seen lately. I was in serious pain from laughing by the final credits.

The humor is of the quirky kind, similar to some of the work of John Cleese. It's based on absurdity but also on incongruity.

If the idea of an "atomic scientist" trying to stall attacking alien monsters by welcoming them to Earth and describing some of the interesting flora and fauna to be found here, such as the wily skunk which comes in three types, tickles your funny bone then you need to see this movie.

It's not for everyone but if you like British humor I'd give it a shot.

Absolutely Loved It!

Author: LadyT from Virginia, USA
10 March 2000

I got to see this movie when it premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival. I went there for basically one reason--I wanted to see Nigel Bennett (one of my favorite actors) on the big screen. However, I was absolutely blown away by the movie.

I laughed all the way through the movie. It was funny, it was cheesy; it not only poked fun at all the bad B-movie sci-fi/horror flicks of the 50s and 60s, but it even poked fun at itself.

It's a spoof, it's fun, it's entertainment. Don't expect deep psychological drama--go to smile and laugh. Believe me, I did!

Jan Bathgate once caught a fish the shape of my head.

Author: KevinRnnr from United States
26 April 2008

What can I say? This movie is one of my all-time favorites. With classic lines such as: "I found a dead body, deceased, in the bumpy part of town, outside of town." "The creature that killed him had anywhere between two hundred and two hundred and two teeth, but I can't be any more specific than that." "Jan Bathgate once caught a fish the shape of my head." "Why- these are Jan Bathgate's undergarments! I would know these anywhere! They have that easy opening trap door....What? A man's entitled to a little sexual experimentation in his golden years!" ..and kudos to the entire cast for wonderful, perfectly eccentric performances.

--You just can't go wrong with this one. Every single friend that I've shared this movie with has loved it as much as I, and there's so many little treats you pick up on in repeat viewings...I honestly feel sorry for any individual who just didn't get this movie, but they probably never will. (I guess thats the point, really.) Oh well. Enjoy.

Welcome To Exceptional Vista

Author: sanmentolabs
25 November 2011

Invasion! aka Top Of The Food Chain aka Welcome To Exceptional Vista is a film that demands more than one viewing. Actually I think I've seen it 6 times now and plan on more. Writer-director John Paizs has created a science fiction - comedy masterpiece which will make you feel GOOD without feeling stupid about it. I don't know if it was the closing of the nut factory or Dr. Lamonte trying to comfort Sandy Fawkes by grasping her face with his hand...ah hell it was much more than that. There are so many wicked dry comedy moments in this film that you literally don't get a break. It is wall to wall hilarity and absolutely in my top ten favorite comedies of all time. John Paizs was also involved in the Candian comedy show called Hotbox, which is funny but not even close to the genius of Invasion! If I score some major cash in the future you'd better believe I will be forking over some of it to Mr. Paizs so he can make another on of these.

Funniest line, IMHO . . .

Author: cvessey from Canada
11 September 2005

OK, it's not *much* of a spoiler, but some people don't like hearing the good lines.

The movie? B, but it knew it. I can respect that, same way I can respect Bruce Campbell and Evil Dead Part 2.

The line? It's not even a full line, but it's the way Campbell Scott's atomic scientist character rattles off "the hilly lumpy bumpy part of town outside of town" without even a twinkle in the eye. Amazing.

The movie is pure camp, hokey as hell. The inflatable dummy in the bathtub is, uhm, bizarre.

This movie is best watched with a couple of ready-to-hand scotches, or your favourite mixed drink.

it takes a keg to raise my interest in this movie

Author: sidrw from BH, CA
26 November 2002

Not really a bad little flick if you are pleasantly buzzed and too sluggish to work the remote. It does for sci-fi alien invasion movies what "Rustlers' Rhapsody" did for westerns. Most of the characters were straight out of a comic book or a junior high script-writing class, but that makes it all the easier to like them after they've fallen victim to nasty aliens who saw that "To Serve Man" episode of "Twilight Zone" and took it way too seriously.

Now on cable as "Invasion," this film has a wry, wacky subtext

Author: David Morgenstern (david@davidmorgenstern.com) from San Francisco
14 January 2002

What a wild ride "Invasion," aka "Top of the Food Chain," takes us on! Sometimes it sticks to its 1950s Scifi spoof premise, and then suddenly there's a moment of Twin Peaks -- done skit comedy style. Lots of sexual humor. I was surprised by the effects. We expect cheesy effects on these low budget Canadian films, but some were very good -- chilling but played for laughs. Meanwhile, the gags just keep coming and coming, in fact, many are tossed away. Some are visual and others more conceptual. A great scene is the ad-hoc autopsy performed on the kitchen table. I don't know if I love the ending, yet it's all in keeping with the preceeding anarchy. Nigel Bennett is great, as usual. And I liked the performance of Fiona Loewi as Sandy, the hotel gal. I see that she's recently been in some genre television shows as well.

Delightful 50s Drive-In SciFi Style Satire

Author: DC5guy from Boise, Idaho, USA
5 January 2002

Reminds me of Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. Many will criticise this gem as cheesy, but let's not forget that it was designed to lampoon low budget sci-fi of the 50s; in that, it, like Killer Tomatoes, is a masterpiece. Worth watching over and over.

Not sure if I am the only one to notice, but many of the male characters have asexual *sounding* names: Deputy DANA, LESLIE Binkley, KIM Hickey, Officer GAYLE, MICHEL O'Shea, Mayor CLAIRE, JAN Bathgate, and Dr. KAREL Lamonte. It seems too much to be coincidental but not sure what significance to place on it.

Only severe criticism: The Irreverence and insensitivity to Christian beliefs added nothing to the film and offends many, including myself. There's a whole world of socio-political material from which to draw; it is best to leave people's most cherished beliefs alone. Many who believe art should not have limits will disagree with me on this. I would have given it a seven, but for the insensitivity mentioned above, feel obligated to reduce it to six out of ten (6/10) stars.

Cheese! Cheese! Cheese!

Author: kcromie from Boston
14 April 2000

Everyone must see this film!!!! But you should only see it if you can see it with a large group of sci-fi fans the way I did. We loved it. It was one of the highlights of the sci-fi festival! A modern parody of all bad sci-fi movies! Mind you, without the proper atmosphere, this movie will drag interminablely>

(Spoiler)

Special guest appearance by Christ!

When the little scenes are everything

Author: Mackan-8 from Sala, Sweden
6 December 1999

Here we have one of those movies that doesn't look like anything else, but still I feel I've seen it all before. I feel the resemblance with titles like "Destiny Turns on the Radio" and "Black Magic". Movies that are totally weird, but you still like them in a special way. Some of the music and the scenes with the pool in "Destiny..." makes that movie better than it really is.

This is about a little forgotten American town, called Exceptional Vista. One day it is visited by aliens who slow but safely starts killing the population. That story we already know all about, but I promise this movie will be a surprise for everyone.

The town isn't like any other town. All since the nut factory (???) was closed down almost every soul moved out. Left is a bunch of fishing-crazy fools who likes sex a lot.

"Top of the Food Chain" is at some points a very enjoyable little flick which probably will make many viewers crazy of boredom, but I must say I saw the good in the movie. I took it for what it was. Were you a fan of the two movies I mentioned above, I think you will like some of the ingredients in this one too.

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]