IMDb > The Sex Monster (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Funny but NOT Erotic

Author: excellentprovider from Alabama, USA
15 September 2005

Sex Monster 1999

A movie with some very funny moments. There were a few scenes that caused me to laugh hysterically and that is unusual for me. Although Mariel Hemmingway has never been a favorite of mine, she definitely brings strong acting talent to this movie. Her wardrobe is interesting yet appropriate for the scenes in the movie. Mike Binder does a great job of carrying the movie with a combination of almost dramatic acting skills but definite ability as a straight man and the occasional goof ball. Missy Crider is always a good actress, in this movie I don't think she was given a strong enough role and the role she had did not give her adequate room to demonstrate her true skills or to allow her usual sensual self to come through. I believe the movie would have been much better had Mariel and Missy had each other's roles. But obviously the director thought otherwise. Directors always have the right to be wrong I guess. Warning; do not let the title or the movie synopsis fool you. There is almost nothing erotic about this movie. It is funny, but not erotic. The jacket suggests a lot of lesbian activity. Most of that activity is not seen however but alluded to or happens with the camera elsewhere. On the eroticism scale this movie is a 2 out of 10. There is also very little nudity. For the most part (with the exception of what I noted above) the movie was well cast. The plot is plausible but the sequence of events is not, hence we have a clever comedy. I recommend this movie for a good laugh only. It is not a movie to watch for the whole family due to the adult theme of lesbianism and sexual threesomes. As a non-erotic comedy I would rate this 6 out of 10.

Maybe a little more?

Author: doyce4sub from atlanta
13 May 2004

This movie is moderately funny and humorous in spots.I would have liked to have "seen" a little more. It would have been nice to have seen Mariel Hemingway or Renee Humphrey or Missy Crider or any of the other actresses actually naked!!! I'm not talking about hard core or explicit scenes but just a little bit of what's supposedly going on on the bed between the women or even one of them walking around topless would have been okay. The sex wasn't there. The plot was however and the "monster" that was created by the husband's urgings became slightly funny. Not a great film but one that was amusing in some respects. Maybe worth watching keeping in mine that it's there for the implications and the laughs.

Witty satire of gender roles and sexuality

Author: Kate O'Neill from Nashville, TN
14 September 2000

When you're not expecting much, it doesn't take a masterpiece to impress you. I watched The Sex Monster knowing that it had a bisexual-relevant theme, but uncertain of whether it would be a positive or negative portrayal of bisexuality and sexual experimentation in general. I was not disappointed.

Mike Binder somehow managed to take all of the tired stereotypes about gender and sexuality, weave them into exaggerated characters, put the characters in awkward situations, and make it all uproariously hilarious. Some viewers, no doubt, will interpret the caricatured portrayals as perpetuating outmoded stereotypes and perhaps even contributing to those stereotypes. But Binder's wit is both subtle and blatant: the dialogue makes use of every cliche imaginable, yet is still fresh and funny.

If you're cheek is prepared to accommodate your tongue, definitely see this movie (rent it! and then buy it to show all your friends). Be warned, though, that what you assume about people may be forever changed.

One-Joke wonder hints at HBO Series to come

Author: Fionanuala from USA
15 July 2004

Mike Binder is a decent enough actor, but when it comes to writing and producing his own material, he seems to only be able to fixate on one, really weak Sex-farce situation.

This absurdly amateur production is shallow and offensive at times but it has its fans. And, believe it or not, there is a silver lining: apparently Binder got enough chops from this experience to pull together a more adult set of issues for use in his HBO Series THE MIND OF A MARRIED MAN. A series which borrows liberally from this first outing for its topics and somewhat silly presumptions about female sexuality and men's abilities or inabilities to stay "constrained" by marriage.

The Series, which was ill-timed, sadly couldn't hold its own against more strongly established series. It had its comic moments and if it took making this film to bring out the creator in him, well, hats off to Binder. Let's see him take a stab at the subject again some time.

The reasons why this film is most likely a Cult "hit" is because Binder put together a surprisingly diverse cast who seem to happily goof their way through this less than professional outing. Hey, if they had fun and its fans like it and it led to a half-way engaging TV series, well, I won't complain. I won't watch it again, but.. I won't complain.

If anything, the film is notable as the genesis of the series THE MIND OF A MARRIED MAN.

Blowfest

Author: Donnaxoxo2003 from United States
31 October 2006

This movie blew. Aside from starring the worst actors in the history of movie making, the "plot" was mind numbingly blasé, the dialogue painfully cringe inducing, and Mariel Hemingway's performance bad enough to make her poor grandfather vomit on himself in his grave. This movie was so bad, yet I could not stop watching it; much like a train wreck in which bodies are flying in all directions. I'm so glad that Mariel Hemingway has chosen yet another steaming piece of pony loaf to showcase her criminal lack of talent. The fact that a reputable production company actually financed and tagged this ridiculous wannabe edgy yet flaccid "statement" about bisexuality made me want to stick a fork into my retina and twist it around repeatedly. In fact, I wish I had done that instead of wasting my time with this ridiculous movie.

Be careful what you wish for, you may get exactly that

Author: Craig Julich-Serventy from Auckland, New Zealand
1 October 2001

Do not be misled by the title into thinking this is the latest in a long and star-studded line of the Playboy movie of week fare. This is actually an amusing if someone self-fulfilling and happy meal packaged film. Its focus is on a Husband (Mike Binder) and his subservient and submissive wife (Mariel Hemmingway) who is finally convinced her to give in to her natural female instincts and allow another woman into the marital bed. What starts off down the trail of many a male's fantasy quickly goes astray when it is apparent that he is no longer needed in the bedroom.

Mikes downward spiral is amusing as he goes from shear disbelief that he is living the playboy ideal to pleading with his wife to refrain from sleeping with his baby sister. The movie was written and directed by Mike Binder who acquits him self nicely as he takes on the role of protagonist and victim during the some 94 minutes running time. Though never fully rising above the straight to video look, the film does not bore or detract from the comedy of a now fully functioning sex monster wife, who is out to sleep with just about every woman she comes across. Mariel Hemmingway is rather amusing and begs the question, where in her career did she go wrong? She is both pretty and entertaining, qualities it would seem, should have destined her for Julia Roberts heights. Alack alas the movie gods are cruel by nature it would seem. Stephen Baldwin makes a fleeting appearance as a business partner whose wife appears to have been locked in a tower for most of her adult life.

Those looking to find something to pass time, have a laugh and have the message "be careful for what you wish, you may just get it" beaten into you, can rest assured you will find what you are looking for here. However for those of you, who may have seen the title and thought that it would be an excellent way to get your rocks of, I suggest you go find one of those Playboy movies of week I discussed earlier.

A wacky and entertaining sex farce

Author: FlickJunkie-2 from Atlanta, GA
22 April 2000

This low budget sex farce surprised me and turned out to be a madcap and funny comedy. Laura (Mariel Hemingway) and Marty (Mike Binder) are a regular couple with an ordinary sex life. But Marty is obsessed with a fantasy where he and Laura have a threesome with another woman. He goads her semi-seriously and when she finally shows some interest, he convinces her to invite over a girl from work who has been coming on to her.

But Marty soon learns that you have to be careful what you wish for. After an initial reluctance, Laura gets into it and finds she likes it. We're talking SERIOUS liking here. Marty is initially ecstatic that his fantasy has been fulfilled, but now that he has opened Pandora's Box (so to speak), he is not prepared for the Sex Monster that emerges. Laura becomes a sex crazed Lesbian nymphomaniac and proceeds to seduce all their female friends. This leads to numerous awkward situations, some zany, some silly and some just downright hilarious.

This film is just rollicking good fun. The sex is mostly implied, so if you were hoping to see Mariel Hemingway or anyone else naked, you are pretty much out of luck. There is a lot of moaning and bed shaking but nothing really provocative other than a couple of girl kissing scenes. But explicit sex isn't what this movie is about. It's about the comedy, and the comedy works, so it is just as well.

This is really the Mike Binder show. He wrote, directed and starred in the film. He didn't really excel in any of these roles, but somehow the whole exceeded the sum of the parts. He gave a generally droll performance which was occasionally terrible but more often comical. He was at his best when he was being tormented by Laura's obsession as he tried desperately to get the sex genie back in the bottle.

Mariel Hemingway was terrific in this film and made it truly funny. This is her second role with a bisexual theme having appeared in the heavy handed 'Personal Best' where she was an athlete who alternated between sleeping with her male coach and a female teammate. Her performance in this part was far better and she turns out to be a much better comedian than dramatic actress. She has a great ability to make humorous use of her 6 foot frame and made the most of the many sight gags in the script.

I rated this movie a 7/10. It doesn't redefine the genre, but it is a wacky sex farce that has more than its share of funny moments. If you are offended by profanity, sexual situations and lesbianism, you definitely want to skip it. But if you like a light hearted and offbeat roll in the hay flick, you'll probably enjoy it.

Mariel Hemingway needs better movies!

Author: larrysmile1 from Illinois
25 September 2001

Mariel Hemingway is a really cutie. She is now 40 years old and has made about 38 movies. However, aside from this zany "Sex Monster" I only remember seeing her act in the 1987 Superman IV - when she was 26 years old.

This fracical comedy is without any visual sex scenes which makes it a disappointment to it's name. (Open kissing and overdubbed moaning does not a sex scene make.)

Mike Binder wrote, directed, and starred in this film. I would guess that it's a family affair with Jack Binder producing. Maybe Mariel is associated with the project. But, she really needs a more in depth script in which to act. She has been in the movie industry too long for such light comedy fluff.

Ms. Hemingway still has a pretty face that the camera can spend more than five seconds a "take" showing and a great physical presence. She should be offered roles more powerful.

Not much sex

Author: mxb2001 from Canada
20 April 2003

For a movie titled so provocatively it sure had very little sex or nudity in it. The plot is your typical 90's lame pop culture brain rot. The writer/director is an ignorant and dishonest sell-out. I gave this nugget of nastiness a 1. I suppose one can mention a single good thing about this waste of time: Mariel Hemingway did it during a spell in which she was minus her usual breast implants. Her lack of talent was routine however.

i wonder if a worse film has ever been made...

Author: Leopard Gang (ethan.robinson@oberlin.edu) from whatever
22 June 2002

Wow. Just when you think movies can't get any worse, you see Sex Monster (or, as it should be called, "I Became A Bisexual Sex Freak In Order To Obey My Husband"). It's basically about this guy, Marty (Binder), who really wants to sleep with two women at a time, and his wife, Laura (Hemingway), who is perfectly OK with his objectification. So she invites over a friend (Humphrey) they know is bisexual (because of course anyone who's bi will sleep with anyone-and the more at a time, the better), and BAM, they all get it on. But uh-oh, trouble in paradise: Laura realises she likes it!

Now she's addicted to crazy sex. Blah blah blah.

Not only is this film horribly offensive in every way possible, it's just plain old bad filmmaking. There are some directors I loathe (take, for example, Kevin Smith), but at least I can see that they are talented-it's just, to quote good ol' Mr. Ebert, they use their talent in an unworthy way. Not so here. Mike Binder has proved himself to be utterly inept in the directing business. I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate this movie. After we watched it, we ejected the video and passed it around so we could all punch it. And we did.

One more thing. Just to prove to you how profoundly evil this movie is, let me quote a little bit of the synopsis from the official website: "She changes and loves it. Marty, after first enjoying his new ‘dream come true' freedom, comes to realize that his wife spends more time with the girls, has reached a new level of strength, freedom and happiness, and he's the odd man out in his own bed. Finally Laura comes to realize that she actually wants only her husband and they work to rebuild their marriage." Let's analyse this. She changes, and loves it. So far so good. She reaches a new level of strength, freedom, and happiness. Still good. But wait-she's just Marty's wife-a woman. And if Marty isn't happy, well then something's wrong-after all, he's the man. Men are more important. So, Laura realises that she only wants her husband, and they all live happily ever after. Good lord.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]