IMDb > The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland
Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

An adorable movie for the whole family!

Author: Adriane (adriane7@mindspring.com) from chandler, az
17 October 1999

I am 21 years old, and I consider myself as a kid at heart. I grew up watching Sesame Street every morning, and I have always loved Elmo. I took my 9 year old sisters to see it and we all loved it. Absolutely nothing offensive, Elmo is adorable! Looking for his lost blanket, he heads to Grouchland to find it. With some help from his friends, they battle Huxley (comically played by Mandy Patikin) to get the blanket back. Take the kids to see it- you and them will love it!

A family film for all

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
21 February 2000

The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland is one of the few films to come around this year that is for the whole family. It can be for the kids because the characters are so likable (especially Elmo played by Kevin Klash) and it can be for the parents because they remember the lovable characters they used to watch as a child. Along with a good story, great characters, and better than good songs, this film teaches kids many things (like sharing and friendship) and of course the Sesame Street characters are always a delight to see on the screen.

A decent film for kids, and those kids at heart who miss the street

Author: cjh48870 from Warrensburg, Missouri
2 October 2000

Previous reviewers have been right in stating that this film pales in comparison to 1985's "Follow That Bird", but then again it is hard to beat perfection! Anyway this movie definitely has more of an appeal for kids than it does for adults (although there is some decidedly adult references that'll fly over kids heads slipped in for good measure). Anyone who feels nostalgic for the street and who wants to see how the adult actors and muppet characters are doin these days should also be interested. *lol* There are also some good celebrity cameos thrown in, although not nearly as many as there were in "Follow That Bird".The bottom line is that this is a decent movie, and i'd definitely reccomend renting it or watching it on tv.

Colourful, fun but not so childish that it would put off adults

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
28 December 2003

When Elmo has an argument with his friend over his blanket, the blanket ends up falling into Oscar the Grouch's trashcan. When Elmo goes to get it back he gets sucked into Grouchland where he has his blanket taken by the greedy and selfish Huxley. Elmo goes after Huxley while his friends from Sesame Street venture into Grouchland to find him.

As the rest of the world do, I love little Elmo. The cuddliest and cutest of the Sesame Street gang, Elmo is hard to dislike and it is fun to spend 60 minutes in his company. The plot has a nice moral behind it, one of not being selfish with one's possessions, and it delivers it without ramming it down your throat - in fact younger children won't even see it!

What the children will see is a collection of colourful characters who are pretty funny and encourage audience interaction all the way (which I think would have annoyed me in a cinema - but not on video). The action is all very bright and fun and has dialogue that will please both kids and adults, but without having stuff going low and high - it's all down the middle and easy to watch. The musical numbers are all very catchy and mostly quite fun. The Trash Queen's song is catchy but has a touch of the divas about it that seems out of place, but other than that there isn't really a bum note among them.

The Sesame Street characters are all as fun as usual. Ernie and Bert could have got a little irritating with their interruptions but they carry it off well enough. The film is Elmo's of course and he is so sweet it's easy to go along with him. Patinkin is a great villain and I enjoyed him immensely. Williams has a brief role and does OK but doesn't have too much to do with herself other than look FABULOUS in a clingy outfit that shouldn't be allowed in a kids' movie!

Overall this is a colourful and fun movie, which is easy to watch for both adults and children. The songs are like the characters - fun and colourful. It's all a bit short but it is amusing and well worth seeing if you've got young children to keep happy.

My kid can't get enough

Author: chaoticmum from United States
8 September 2005

This gets a pretty good rating from me...I bought this movie thinking we'd see it once and it would get stored in our videos forever. But we watch it constantly. Even if my son watches it back to back, he's still captivated by it. It's a good movie...not bad for Sesame Street. The songs are good, except the one by Vanessa Williams - it's a bit bland, but of course, it would get stuck in our heads all day long. Mandy Patinkin is GREAT in this movie, just awesome. Perfect guy for the part. Good singing voice too.

It's a cute movie. It does have lots of funny parts that only a kid will find funny and a parent will roll their eyes when the kid is not looking, but on the whole, it's amusing. The interruptions from Ernie and Bert are actually kind of cute, but any more of them would have been annoying.

We like it. Good, clean, wholesome entertainment.

What Kind Of Movie Has A Sad Ending?

Author: kylehaines96 from United States
3 October 2011

Director Gary Halvorson gives us the second Sesame Street Movie The Adventures Of Elmo In Grouchland. The film follows Elmo who after losing his special blanket winds up in an interesting place called Grouchland, a place where everyone is mean to each other. Elmos blanket is stolen by Huxley played by Mandy Patinkin who wants everything to be his to keep. The films story is nice for young viewers, Vanessa Williams and Mandy Patinkin's performances are lovely, and Jim Hensons Workshop does a great job as always with the puppets. This is a wonderful family film that I certainly recommend.

Rated G.

1hr 13min/73min.

****/****

More likely towards kids!

Author: Brian T. Whitlock (GOWBTW) from WILMINGTON, NC
13 December 2006

Everyone loves that furry, lovable red monster, Elmo. Ever since "Follow That Bird", "Elmo in Grouchland" is a way more colorful version for kids, and there's more fun to it. Elmo has this blanket that he loves very much, and after a tug-of-war with Zoe, Oscar the Grouch tosses the blanket after he blows his nose with it. Where does it goes, in Grouchland. On Sesame Street, there was a place called GrouchyTown. In this movie, Grouchland is being run by a really rude man named Huxley(Mandy Patankin). He the worst person to be around. When Elmo goes to Grouchland to retrieve his blanket, he meets some unusual characters there. He meets a girl grouch who his nothing like the others. Very kind, very neat, and very cooperative. Mostly grouches hate cooperation, even Oscar can bend the rules of his kind. When he was a resident there, he knew what it's like. So he got the grouches there to change their attitude's, and their ways a bit. Anthor character in the movie is the Queen of Trash(Vanessa L. Williams). I liked the part where Elmo had to do 100 Raspberries. She was also a friendly person there. This movie deals with sharing, while "Follow that Bird" deals with diversity. This movie is very good for kids, as well, and other generations to come. Rating 3 out of 5 stars!

Excellent!

Author: from United States
12 April 2005

First off, i'm a parent. My daughter is 18months old and LOVES Elmo, her grandfather got this movie for her and she already knows how to play it on the DVD player(she pulls it out of the case, opens up the player and puts it in... sometimes upside down though ;) )and sits down with the remote. so she loves it. great she's not voting. I, on the other hand walk around all day after watching this singing the songs from it in my head... they are just so catchy. i never thought i would say this, but i'm starting to love family movies like this one. remember when voting for this, that it is meant for the under 5 crowd. not the 16-35yr old amateur film critics that think they know everything.

A really great movie for Elmo and Sesame Street fans!

Author: Stephen Verhaeren (Spwysteve@aol.com) from Palos Park, IL USA
12 August 2002

If you have an Elmo fan in your house, and was disappointed to only see him one scene (not speaking) role in 1985's movie Sesame Street Presents: Follow That Bird, well your little one will not be disappointed. The first movie with the Sesame Street friends for the first time in 14 years. Long time isn't it. As the movie opens, Elmo (Kevin Clash) and his freind Zoe (Fran Brill) has a tug of war on Elmo's blanket ripping, Elmo gets mad at Zoe, and then it winds up in Oscar's (Caroll Spinney) trash can, Elmo jumps into the trash can, and he and his blanked wind up in Grouchland. (Spoiler Warning) And the movie's villian (Mandy Patinkin) steals Elmo's blanket. (Spoiler Warning #2) Every so often, Bert (Frank Oz) yells "Stop the Film". (Spoiler Warning #3) When Elmo's Sesame Street pals learn that Elmo has jumped into Oscar's trash can, some of them, Big Bird, etc jumped in after him. (Spoiler Warning #4) While Elmo makes his way up a mountain to the villian's house. If you ever wondered what does goes on inside Oscar's can, this the movie for you to see. Vanessa L. Williams appears as the Queen of Trash. Note like the earlier Sesame Street movie this is a rare live movie to get a G rating from the MPAA. And if parents don't want thier kids to hear bad language, this is a must watch along with the first movie. So what are you waiting for, rent or buy this movie today, you will be glad you did. Parents will be happy not have to view a movie with kids, but may want to. What would have made this even better if Bert didn't yell "Stop the Film". 10/10

Lovely

Author: Rainer Koschnick (arkay) from Germany
19 November 2001

This seems to be the Sesame Street adoption of "Labyrinth" (1986, Jim Henson). Yet, I love Labyrinth. TAOEIG is less dark than the original, and generally more funny. Perfect family entertainment (not only for the children) with lots of nice music, jokes and warmth. 10 out of 10.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]