IMDb > Aftermath (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 5 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Top notch horror

Author: fertilecelluloid from Mountains of Madness
30 December 2003

Using no direct dialogue, Nacho Cerda employs pure cinematic technique to create a horror powerhouse in AFTERMATH.

There is no plot, just a sequence of events leading up to the "rape" and desecration of a female corpse.

Mozart's "Requiem" accompanies the imagery.

Once again, as is common with films of this nature, sound design plays a large part in the film's effectiveness. I say "once again" because we have a pattern here. Strong, potent films by the likes of directors such as Gasper Noe (IRREVERSIBLE), Ruggero Deodato (CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST), Yasaharu Hasebe (ASSAULT JACK THE RIPPER), Augustin Villaronga (IN A GLASS CAGE), and now, Nacho Cerda, are notable for the acutely attuned, aural instincts of their highly talented creators.

AFTERMATH is a beautiful film, a gorgeously crafted gaze into the world of necrophilia and loneliness.

Cerda's GENESIS is equal in its technical department, but it lacks the power of its predecessor.

The additional, non-Mozart music cues, are simply perfectly placed and emotionally fierce.

True horror straight from Hell.

Author: merlinlake78 from Netherlands
12 August 2010

Warning!! This is not a movie to think lightly about, If you're not affected nor horrified by what takes place on screen, Then seriously ask yourself if you don't need help. I saw this movie in its entirety, and I'm usually open to any type of horror. But nothing could prepare me for what I saw this time. The actually act of having sex with a corpse, That's also cut open is just beyond any kind of rational understanding. And the time the people took, To make the corpses and all the special effects look as real as possible, Must come from some kind of love for the dead. I gonna pass on a second sitting with this movie. I think I'm going back to the more mainstream horror movies from now on. This is just a bit,...Eehmm. To extreme. Welcome to hell.

So powerful

Author: Casey_Moriarty from Orange County, California
29 May 2008

Just watched this movie. Can't say much about it, except, WOW. This film is only half an hour long, but had it been any longer I don't know if I would be able to get through it. And I am not disturbed by movies... I have seen some pretty gruesome ones. But it's not the gore that makes this movie disturbing. And it's not even the necrophilia. We've all seen more graphic movies than this by far. It may not seem to be so upon first watching this movie, but there's actually not as much as it feels like there is. So I guess what makes this film so disturbing it is is the sterility of it; the coldness of the morgue; the fact that the victim has no idea she is the victim and the perpetrator of the crime shows no guilt towards his crime. The purely casual way this depraved character, excellently portrayed by Pep Tosar in a performance that hides half of his face most of the time, commits his indecent acts. That MIGHT be what makes this film a disturbing one- but it's hard to put your finger on it. Either way, you can't tear your eyes off of this thing once you've started watching.

more to it than just being shocking

Author: funeralgrdeflwrs from United States
27 November 2007

aftermath, just like nekromantic or august underground's mordum, is almost always mentioned because of how disgusting and gruesome it is. that naturally piqued my curiosity, so when i finally got to watch it, i was surprised to see an extremely well made movie. sure, its vile and gory and made me feel like i was a terrible person, (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) but the film had some unexpected qualities to it. first off, the special effects were amazing: if someone had told me beforehand that they were using real bodies, i would have completely believed it. the film also had some outstanding shots, such as the one where the camera was closing in on the sink, which reminded me of the shower scene in psycho. if you are turned off by the gore and necrophilia, i don't think either of the aforementioned qualities will override that. but if you enjoy extreme gore, yet lament the quality of a lot of ultra-gory films, than this movie should be perfect for you. but don't go in to it expecting a detailed plot with complex characters, unless you consider being a necrophiliac "complex."

A Fantastic Film

Author: SlashnThrash666 from United Kingdom
27 June 2007

A Spanish student film, Aftermath focuses on the actions of morticians at a morgue. As there is no dialogue, the audience has to rely on the actors expressions, and in this film they are amazing. We can tell so much from the eyes of the unnamed actors in the film.

The sound also needs to be of a high quality for a film with no words and it manages to sustain our attention throughout. The classical yet slow burning score is punctuated by short sounds of tools and equipment. The score is just subtle enough to be a background player but also keeps the film going and full of emotion.

The direction is also fantastic. The camera work ranges from long shots to close ups and has an arty feel to it. One particularly strong shot that stood out to me is when there is a long shot of an event in the film and the camera is positioned so that we cannot look away. It is extremely effective and watching it will make you feel as dirty as the corpses themselves. This film doesn't disappoint on the gore level either. The special effects are unbelievable and everything from the corpses to the dismembered body parts look realistic.

Aftermath has superb directing, sound and acting and is an extremely well made yet EXTREMELY disturbing film. If your idea of disturbing is Hostel and events such as necrophilia make you sick...Better give this one a miss

Brilliant necro-horror! **Spoilers**

Author: HumanoidOfFlesh from Chyby, Poland
25 November 2000

Thanks to my friend Mark I've got my hands on the copy of this brilliant movie.With a run time of only thirty minutes "Aftermath" will leave you feeling truly disgusted for watching it,but certainly you'll watch it again and again.This movie takes place in an autopsy room where there are two morticians slicing up bodies,removing organs and sewing the bodies back up again.One of them(Pep Tosar)decides to lock himself in a room with a female corpse.After cutting off her clothes he grabs a knife and really starts jamming it inside the dead woman's vagina.Then he has sex with the corpse.The film was shot in a mortuary of Barcelona.The special effects are extremely well-done and disgusting.Spanish director Nacho Cerda describes a meaning of "Aftermath":"The theme of it is about death,and I think people one way or another at one point in their lives,worry about death.They realize they are going to die,they are conscious of it,and some people may accept it,some people may not accept it".Highly recommended for all who have an iron stomach.Fans of extreme gore will love this!

An Aberration

Author: Mahatma Fabrizi (mahatma_phanishwar@yahoo.co.in) from Sri Lanka
12 September 2005

AFTERMATH (Color, 1994): Aftermath is utterly difficult watch. The graphic nature of the forensic easthetic is the main reason of course, but also because of the de-facto way in which things are presented to us; these scenes of necrophilia are not welcome and are presented to us horribly, unpleasantly, and as the sick practice that it is. You will not be turned on in any way sexually by watching this one, I can guarantee you that. As much as Cerda might try to put some sort of philosophical spin on it, Aftermath has no point whatsoever aside from wanting to upset and disrupt, and after watching it I frankly lost my lunch. Aftermath explores the second step in the process of death: What happens to the flesh after death. Plot: In an autopsy room, two coroners carry on with their misdeeds and wrong-doings. Until one of the two coroners starts rummaging around in a dead broad's uterus with a scalple, and things get (sorta) outta control ! ... I have also read reviews that come from people who really are into (fake) autopsy features and they say the same. Its not worth it!! They say compared to 'Boko Kirisaki Jakku' (1976) it really bites!!!!

Boko Kirisaki Jakku (Japan) boasts depictions of the best (fake) female genitalia mutilating you can ever come up too. even some genital mutilation historians love that film because, apart from utilizing actual shaven horse vaginas, its soo accurate on the sounds, the squelching, and the squirting of most of these vaginal parts; basically this is my most treasured vagina mutilation movie ever !

For all autopsy film cineastes, Aftermath is an old-fashioned "Grand Hotel" of a movie, and does offer excitement, suspense and breathtaking shots of freshly exposed organs -- BUT, vagina-mutilation fetishist beware!

Good

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
29 February 2008

Aftermath (1994)

*** (out of 4)

Spanish horror film from director Nacho Cerda about two morgue workers who enjoy rubbing their hands through dead bodies and more. Needless to say, this film is very gory and graphic so it'll probably turn most viewers off. There's also a sex scene, which will make a few others run. The direction is top notch however and there are many strong scenes that don't have anything to do with the gore. The special effects are incredible and while watching the film I thought they were using real corpses but later read they weren't.

Fun with dead folks

Author: t-birkhead from United Kingdom
9 May 2007

Straight up, this film really isn't that nasty. Beyond the fact that it shows the taboo act of necrophilia in a fairly graphic way, it isn't even that offensive. After watching it I was struck more by its quality as a piece of cinema, as it is very well made. Despite having no dialogue, it's always diverting, and the special effects are top notch. The use of Mozart, and the original score make the film quite hypnotic, and the scene is handled in a visually compelling way, quite beautiful at times, despite being confined to a morgue. I felt quite unmoved by the end though. As a meditation on death, love and death rites, I felt it didn't have all that much to say, and it was too tasteful to be a true gross out sickie. In the end, it came across to me as more like mildly tasteless, mildly entertaining underground video art. It's supposed to be one of the better necrophilia movies, and I guess I recommend it to people who want to check the genre out. Just don't expect some uber-sickie, because it simply isn't

Regardless of what you think about its subject, it's a beautifully made movie.

Author: Boba_Fett1138 from Groningen, The Netherlands
11 July 2009

Well, necrophilia isn't on my top-list of things to enjoy, still I have quite a few movies that involve this subject. What they all have in common is that they have to ability to gross you out, without having to feature a plot involving around it. Movies like "Nekromantik" and "Schramm" are like this. This movie is like that as well, with a touch of Ginî piggu-series added to it.

Yet this movie perhaps deserves better than to be compared to any of these movies, since this movie is quality-wise a far superior one. It's a movie that got extremely well directed, in an almost artistic like way at times. Nacho Cerdà is a director who enjoys making shorts and prefers it above making long featured films with an elaborated story, I would guess, judging by this movie. All sequences are being nicely constructed and it keeps you glued to the screen, even though there is no real story to the movie and the it doesn't even feature one line of dialog. The movie it's story is purely being told by its images, as brought to us by the fine directing approach of Nacho Cerdà.

Yes sure, it's a pretty gross and gory movie to watch and if you can't handle themes such as bloody autopsies and necrophilia you should simply avoid this movie. If you are able to appreciate the art of film-making this is just one great short to watch, despite of how you think or feel about its subject.

The gore wasn't too shocking though, at least not to me, since the cadavers used in this movie were obvious puppets, which perhaps was the only disappointing aspect about the movie; it wasn't always quite realistic enough.

Still it obviously didn't prevented me from being drawn into this movie, due to its wonderful directing and artistic, classy approach of its subject.

Page 5 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]