IMDb > "The Power Game" (1965) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Power Game" More at IMDbPro »

British boardroom plots and counter-plots

Author: tom-cotterill from Bearwood, England
7 June 2005

Classy British studio bound TV drama from the 1960's. Although shot on videotape and in monochrome, this series' quality still shines through. Made nearly 15 years before Dallas, this series proved over 3 seasons that wheeler-dealing could be gripping without lapsing into soap opera.

Patrick Wymark, Peter Barkworth and Clifford Evans all shine with the glamour provided by Barbara Murray.

Alfred Burke, prior to taking on the role of "Marker" in Public Eye, is also excellent.

At time of writing, the first series of 13 episodes are available on region 0 (pal) DVD from Network.

The second series is due out in the next few weeks.

Cracking Stuff

Author: tonycarr from Sompting UK
10 August 2008

Before Alan Sugar there was J.R. Ewing and before that there was Sir John Wilder.

As a teenager in the sixties I remember this was the series that everybody was talking about at coffee break the next morning. Yes, it's stuck in a studio pretty much and I don't pretend that I quite understood all the talk about balance sheets but I was still hooked by it.

A terrific ensemble cast with early roles for people like George Sewell and Ian Holm. Dominating everything, however, was Patrick Whymark's portrayal of tycoon John Wilder. Completely mesmerising and compelling. I genuinely believe that had it not been for his early death he would have gone on to be one of the great actors of his time. A sad loss indeed.

The boxed set is now out of all three series an I recommend it.

Excellent For Its Time

Author: screenman from United Kingdom
5 February 2008

This was a very interesting series about the moguls of big business.

I believe it derived from the earlier 'Planemakers'. Inevitably tame by modern-day standards, it nevertheless offered an interesting insight into corporate life otherwise denied to us ordinary folk.

There was a good cross-section of British acting talent of the day, and it's a pity it didn't run for longer. Like several programmes form the1960's and 70's, it was ahead of its time. Joe public was just not quite ready to engage with all of the wheeler-dealing.

Dallas's timing was much better. And this is reflected in its enduring popularity. It also had a much bigger budget, being American.

It would be difficult to make a program like this today as the sort of self-made magnates that could flourish in those times have given way to obscure multi-nationals. Nowadays nobody knows who's in charge, much less cares.

I must mention that extremely well-crafted theme music. It was both pompous and inspiring - entirely typical of the subject matter.