IMDb > Muppets from Space (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Muppets from Space

Muppets from Space More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Platinum belt. With an unlimited line of credit.

Author: Djonn from Portland, Oregon
18 July 1999

The Muppet franchise has mellowed a bit with age. MUPPETS FROM SPACE doesn't have the level of frenetic insanity that occasionally marked the original syndicated MUPPET SHOW, and it's neither as edgy as, say, the latest Mike Meyers movie nor as fast-paced as an Indiana Jones yarn.

But even if it's a little on the laid-back side, its heart is very much in the right place. In some ways, this is a direct spiritual sequel to the original MUPPET MOVIE, focusing this time on Gonzo's origin story rather than Kermit's. Where the first film spoofed the "road" comedies and Westerns, this one spoofs CE3K and MiB (but not, as the title might suggest, the Star Trek or Star Wars franchises).

It's lighter on the zingy one-liners than MUPPET MOVIE, and longtime Muppet fans will probably be a bit frustrated at the soundtrack, which relies almost entirely on borrowed and guested songs rather than musical performances by the Muppets themselves. (Note: if you peeked at the soundtrack album listings first, be advised that "I'm Going to Go Back There Someday" is NOT in the film. Should be, darnit, but isn't.) But there's some inspired silliness involving lab rats and a wonderfully zany infiltration of a Secret Government Installation.

All in all, what's here is a very warm and watchable comedy of a kind that's increasingly hard to find in theaters these days. And Miss Piggy's karate is still as dangerous as ever. I'm looking forward to the next Muppet film already. (How about a spy spoof, guys? "My name is Frog, Kermit the Frog.")

Tough To Beat Gonzo & Rizzo

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
25 June 2006

Good special-effects, funny and likable characters and an interesting story all made this 1999 'Muppets In Space' movie much better than I anticipated.

This one featured more of Gonzo and Rizzo, my two favorite characters. The movie, in fact, centers around Gonzo. Miss Piggy played a lesser role than normal, which also pleased me.

A tiny bit too secular-liberal in parts but overall, not offensive and definitely entertaining. It looks great and sounds good on DVD, too.

Some have said this was the best of the Muppet films and perhaps that's true. I wouldn't argue.

That Noise You Hear

Author: arieliondotcom from United States
27 April 2008

That noise you hear is Jim Henson turning in his grave. I agree with the other comments that this film is nothing like you expect a Muppets movie to be. Many more adult references than any other Muppet movie and a lot of scary stuff that I would not take a child to see. There are a lot more things that a child could misinterpret (including the very beginning of the movie which shows Noah of the Bible as a cruel man who leaves Gonzo to die because he's different. Although it's a "dream" sequence that Gonzo may have "misinterpreted", a child would not make that distinction but would rather associate Noah and the Bible with cruelty to a beloved friend.

Even the soundtrack ("Brick House", etc.) are not songs that seem appropriate for the age group for most Muppet audiences (or the children parents would bring).

The film may bring some chuckles to some adults, but I would never bring a child to see it.

All in all it is a very sad reminder that the original genius and charm of the Muppets is gone.

Lacking Muppet movie.

Author: Boba_Fett1138 from Groningen, The Netherlands
16 January 2004

There is not enough story but nevertheless the movie is enjoyable but it simply is also far from great.

I don't know why but for some reason the movie doesn't seem so much fun as the other Muppet movies. Maybe and probably it's because of the empty script that focuses too much on Gonzo and not enough on the fun feeling of the movie that all other Muppet movies do have.

Still the movie is highly enjoyable and it has some great comical moments that will at least put a smile on you face. And how could you not laugh at a Muppet movie with so many great, fun and weird characters. The ones that really steal the show in this movie are Pepe and Rentro but of course all the other Muppet characters are also more than funny and great.

Worth watching simply and only because of the Muppet characters and if you want to have some fun 84 minutes, otherwise you will end up only disappointed by this lacking movie.

Make it, and they will watch, okaaaay...

Author: thesar-2 from United States
4 June 2010

The best two things I can say about Muppets From Space are: it's nice to get back to an original Muppet story and…Pepe!! Unfortunately, the "original" story part of my praise wasn't a great story and was really over-bloated with mostly failed attempts to give everyone, and I mean every Muppet, their 15 minutes. It's only 87 minutes and that's a lot of Muppet ground to cover. That said, the film did the best it could do. You're just best off knowing the decades-old characters beforehand.

The other pleasantry was Pepe. He quickly became one of my favorites of all time, and he was brand new. This shrimp, sorry, King Prawn, okaaaay, stole every scene and rightfully so. He was deliciously – no pun – funny and had immediate taglines, such as ending practically every sentence with "okaaaay." The rest of the usual suspects were funny, but seemed like they kept falling over each other in both setting – a hundred or so live in the same house – and story. The other newcomer, Bobo the Bear, didn't live in the house and thank goodness for him. He was hilarious and a refreshing new character that didn't get bogged down like the rest of the cast.

Gonzo's getting messages from outer space and barely anyone is free from their enormously busy schedules to believe him. Who knew being a Muppet was so time consuming? Not that they would've believed him anyways; his cereal is one such portal.

The messages are from his own kind, his species that he's been searching for his whole life, not to mention a feeling of not being one of a kind anymore. Like most "space" movies, the government gets involved, this time with comedic overtones – it's the Muppets, after all.

The gang goes on the mission of saving Gonzo, from what they think is himself and/or the big-bad government and instead gets caught up with helping him find true family and awareness.

That's the text-book synopsis. The truth and root of the story does involve "family" and "belonging" but what adults like me go for is the humor and warmth we get from watching, once again, our beloved Muppets from our childhood. You won't be let down on the humor, the slapstick humor and Miss Piggy's karate chop.

It's recommended for fans, but not necessarily for Muppet virgins. You should begin with the first three, skipping the Christmas Carol and Treasure Island – two you can watch later, no rush – and then watch this.

The lack of laughs is certainly not this Muppet movie's only problem!

Author: Electrified_Voltage from Guelph, Ontario, Canada
17 November 2008

Like so many other people, I can say the Muppets were a major part of my childhood. I saw episodes of the original "Muppet Show" when I was little, and later saw "The Muppet Movie" and "The Great Muppet Caper" (didn't see "The Muppets Take Manhattan" until last year), as well as some post-Jim Henson material; "The Muppet Christmas Carol", "Muppet Treasure Island", and the remake of "The Muppet Show", "Muppets Tonight". None of these disappointed me. By the time "Muppets from Space" came out, I was seeing the first signs of adolescence, and didn't end up seeing the movie that year, though I do recall seeing the trailer for it on TV. Nine years later, having finally seen this movie, I am not impressed!

Lately, Gonzo has been feeling lonely in the world, being a "whatever," not knowing where he came from, and has been having nightmares about it. One morning, however, he sees messages in his breakfast cereal, ones which appear to be from aliens from another planet! While Gonzo is on the rooftop, watching the sky (following one of the messages), he is struck by lightning! He then meets two cosmic fish, and learns from them that he is an extraterrestrial! The other Muppets think he has gone crazy when he tells them about this, but he still attempts to contact his relatives. Meanwhile, government agent K. Edgar Singer is searching for extraterrestrial life on Earth, and has detected the messages Gonzo has been seeing! After Gonzo appears on TV, Singer manages to lure him, along with Rizzo, into captivity, and the other Muppets must try and rescue them and see if Gonzo can finally meet his family!

I knew "Muppets from Space" wasn't the most popular Muppet movie, and it didn't surprise me when I found that one problem with this movie is that while I did smile/snicker sometimes, it's not usually that funny. In fact, it's sometimes quite lame, such as the female armed guard played by Kathy Griffin in love with Animal. However, that's not its only problem. Another major problem is that it's a tad too dark for the Muppets! It's often too cruel, especially when Gonzo and Rizzo are in captivity, with the conditions they face there. That building is a rather dreary place, not the kind one would probably want to see the Muppets in. Those scenes, as well as a number of others, including a hoof to the groin, make me wonder why this movie is rated G! Also, the story is a bit bland, and there are no memorable songs. Basically, the magic that made previous Muppet material so good seems so far away in this flick!

I was disappointed by this movie, even with low expectations. There are those who think everything that has been done with the Muppets since Jim Henson's premature death in 1990 is lame, and I'm definitely going to have to disagree with them. However, I'm going to have to agree with those who think this particular movie defiles the Muppets, and I've never been able to describe anything else I've seen featuring the Muppets that way before! When I see the Muppets, I expect good, lighthearted family entertainment, with plenty for kids and adults alike. It seems that some people describe this movie that way, but I honestly don't get it, and sincerely doubt I ever will! That's certainly not what I got with "Muppets from Space"! What happened?! Yes, this movie is rated G, which one would probably expect from a Muppet movie, but unlike the previous ones, I really don't think it should be! The point I'm trying to make with this review is that this is NOT the Muppets!

Lack that Muppets feeling

Author: SnoopyStyle
16 December 2013

Gonzo is seeing mysterious messages from his alien family. He is kidnapped by government agents, and the gang has to rescue him.

It's a little dark for a Muppets movie. Jeffrey Tambor is overplaying the evil agent. The whole tone of Gonzo's incarceration is too evil. It gets way too serious no matter how much silliness is going on. The animal testing on Rizzo has some funny moments. Like always, there are a lot of cameos. I love Miss Piggy fighting Josh Charles. I always love an angry Miss Piggy. Besides the serious tone, this Muppets movie sorely misses the traditional song and dance routines. At least, they end with Celebration, but there are no original songs. It just doesn't feel like a Muppets movie. I love the gang, and that's all I have to recommend about this movie.

Enjoyable, if not the Muppets best!

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
13 July 2009

I love Muppets Treasure Island and Muppets Christmas Carol, mainly because I love Tim Curry, and Michael Caine was amazing as Scrooge, and I have always loved the Muppet Movie and Muppets Take Manhatton. In fact the only Muppet movie I don't really like is Muppets Wizard of Oz. Muppets From Space, while not as good as the older Muppet movies, is certainly enjoyable. One thing I didn't particularly like though was the soundtrack, a bit too 1970s style, and because of this, I was never too sure what time period the film was supposed to be. The plot of the film is very original, though you would assume the Muppets went to space without having read the plot line, and the jokes are funny, if less inspired than something from the Muppet Movie. It isn't quite true to the style of the older Muppet movies, but the film does try to and almost succeeds. The story focuses on Gonzo, and his story was very heartwarming. Any scene with Miss Piggy who I love is priceless, and Jeffrey Tambor makes the most of his role as Ed, the paranoid operative. I also liked the contributions from F.Murray Abraham, Andie McDowell, The Sweedish Chef and The Bear Sidekick.Nice also to see Kermit, Rizzo and Fozzie, not to mention Sam the Eagle, in short all your favourite Muppets, though the best scene is the beginning, not to mention the sandwich scene. Overall, enjoyable, not their best, but I do like it. 7/10 Bethany Cox.

One of the Best Muppet Films

Author: from Ohio
8 December 2005

To date, I think "Muppets From Space" has been the best of the Muppet films since the first two, "The Great Muppet Caper" and "The Muppet Movie". I believe it's the only one where they don't sing (or maybe they sing very briefly) which is a welcome change of pace. Jeffrey Tambor is hilarious in this movie, as is his sidekick bear. The shrimp is kind of annoying, but he gets some good lines every once in awhile. All the classic Muppets are used to great effect, as usual.

Although some of the magic was lost after Jim Henson died, I prefer this film over his last theatrical Muppet feature, "Muppets Take Manhattan". "Muppets From Space" is the only post-Henson project they've done as yet that recaptures the zany magic of the early films and the TV show. A must-see for the Muppet-curious of all ages.

Great beginning but the rest belongs in space.

Author: Rob Deschenes (kalibur@softhome.net) from Toronto, Ont. Canada
14 August 2000

Gonzo is tired of being a "whatever." But when his breakfast cereal tells him to "WATCH THE SKY," then asks him "R U THERE," his Muppet friends start to worry about his mental state. Meanwhile, the message also catches the eye of Ed, the head of a government intelligence agency looking for aliens. Cute movie has an excellent beginning song (they all live in a house now?) and goes nowhere but down in boredom. Cute parodies of CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND and INDEPENDENCE DAY can't avoid the annoying 70s sound track that IS NOT SUNG BY THE MUPPETS!! Two thumbs up for Animal and Pepe, two thumbs down for not making a more creative movie.

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]