IMDb > The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Fossilized dino deposits

Author: MartianOctocretr5 from Redondo Beach, CA
11 September 2006

This movie makes an awkward attempt to stay faithful to the spirit of the cartoon. It has moments, but far too few of them.

The few things done right first: Jane Krakowski makes a wonderful Betty; why couldn't she have been in the first movie? She makes the silly dialog somehow sweet and fun. The dating sequence is cute and the Vegas arrival scene has some clever sight gags, but these were fleeting montages. Harvey Korman is wasted in a throw-away role with few lines; instead of voicing Gazoo (as he did in the original cartoon), and the guy they use for Gazoo sounds like slate grinding on bedrock.

Joan Collins is obnoxious enough on her own; this movie has her play a wrenching stereotypical loudmouth mother-in-law who you want to feed to the nearest T-Rex you can find. And the guy that plays Barney? What the heck is he doing? His entire performance looked like a rejected audition for a junior high school production of "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure in Jurassic Park." Fred? The guy had a voice almost as nasally as Joan Collins. Wilma is cast as a 7-foot-tall giraffe. Fred goes gambling: Gee, what's gonna happen there? Fred and Barney dress up as dancers: they even manage to ruin this classic comedy routine. A poorly done triangle story falls flat.

This petrified fossil of a film does little justice to the Modern Stone-Aged Family. Rent some of the original cartoons, instead.

A Sequel That Is a Prequel That Is Not Equal to the Original

Author: tfrizzell from United States
26 July 2000

Like its predecessor, "The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas" tries to be likeable. However, this film is not quite up to par with the original. This version deals with the way the Flintstones came into existence. Young dino-crane operators Fred Flintstone (Mark Addy) and Barney Rubble (Stephen Baldwin) find true love in fast-food waitresses Wilma (Kristen Johnston) and Betty (Jane Krakowski). They take an expense-paid trip to Rock Vegas, but the evil Chip Rockefeller (Thomas Gibson) has a plan to get rid of Fred so he can have Wilma for himself. That is about it for the near invisible plot. Once again the production values are high, but that does not save this film from being a dud. The casting is impressive, but there is nothing for the cast to work with. Basically the first film with a different situation and different actors in the key roles. 2 out of 5 stars.

Truly Awful...I Had a Hard Time Watching it...

Author: MovieAddict2016 from UK
3 April 2003

"The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas" is one of the poorest excuses for a family film I've seen in a long time.

The original remake with John Goodman was at least decent, but this flop has not only an awful cast, but awful dialogue, filming techniques, jokes...it's straight out of a made-for-TV sequel. Only one thing: It's even worse.

In this live-action prequel to the 1994 comedy hit, Fred Flintstone (Mark Addy) and wife Wilma (Kristen Johnston) go to Rock Vegas along with the Rubbles, Barney (Stephen Baldwin) and Betty (Jane Krakowski), where Wilma is pursued by playboy Chip Rockefeller (Thomas Gibson). This is the setup for a bunch of tiring gags that also have to do with a little green space alien coming to earth to see how humans mate, or something as such.

This has to be one of the worst comedies I've seen it a while. It was actually painful for me to watch. There really are no redeeming values whatsoever, and I don't think I'd like it even if I was a five-year-old. It treats the audience like dirt, and it obviously seeing if there's any juice left in the audience to pay for another "Flintstone" flick.

Instead of trying to improve upon the first film--which was a bit underrated--this film seems to go for the bare minimum in an effort only to draw money from the audience. I have to ask myself, if they knew the first was so critically-declaimed, why release another awful flick? Try to improve and get good reviews.

But nope, no luck here. Instead we are treated to a truly awful and hard-to-watch comedy with no redeeming values whatsoever.

Avoid at all costs.

0.5/5 stars--

John Ulmer

a great, fun little movie

Author: ThomasJ101 from United States
1 June 2008

In reading a few of the negative reviews of this movie, I'm wondering if certain detractors actually even watched it. It's too easy for some people just to dis a flick because it is a sequel, or because it went straight to video, or because it's expected to be bad, or whatever. Don't let that happen with "Viva Rock Vegas": it is a fine little movie: fun, funny and visually rich in cartoony colors, costumes and sets. The acting (and voices) are top notch: Stephen Baldwin's "Barney" and Mark Addy's "Fred" are just fantastic; voices, mannerisms, etc. Jane Krackowski is spot on as Betty, (ditzy-ness and giggle-wise). Alan Cumming as "The Great Gazoo" is perfectly sarcastic and wise-ass. The CGI is very good, considering, as are the sets and costumes. The storyline makes sense, is plausible, and even engrossing (again, considering). For what it is, this is a great little movie, and compared to the first one (sheesh) it TOTALLY rocks ("rocks". get it?). I defy anyone who can actually tell a good movie from a bad one to watch this movie IN FULL, ALL THE WAY and TO THE END, and tell me that they weren't entertained by it.

It's not that bad!

Author: Allan-14 from Mt. Vernon, WA.
20 May 2000

Jeez, it ain't THAT bad! 3.8? Maybe the original, MAYBE, but this is a substantial improvement over that, and the original has like a 4+ rating. I don't really give this a 10, I give it more like a 7.5, but I gave it a 10 because I found the ratings to be well, WAY OFF. This one had decent performances, really excellent art direction, and some really cool FX. I especially liked the Bronto-bridge and the Great Gazzoo. Unlike the first Flintstones, this prequel is smart, fun, and the actors truly become the characters they play. The story? LAME. The first 60% or so of the film DOES CLICK. But the rest, when they arrive in Rock Vegas, is pure dreck appealing to the lowest common denominator. But the film is so fun to look at, you really don't care. There are a lot of films to love to hate but this one really is NOT it. It's an adult Flintstones, if you can imagine that, and it's a small but cute treasure to behold.

Why?

Author: Maga from The world
11 September 2003

I cannot imagine in a million years how this thing got the go ahead. The first one bombed with major talent in it. So, why would you make a sequel to a bomb with lesser actors? I guess they thought kids would like it. Well, kids might be immature but they are not stupid. As foul as a dinasour terd, avoid at all costs.

My kind of Guilty Pleasure!!

Author: adonis98-743-186503 from Greece
25 October 2016

The Flintstones are at it again. The Flintstones and the Rubbles head for Rock Vegas with Fred hoping to court the lovely Wilma. Nothing will stand in the way of love, except for the conniving Chip Rockefeller who is the playboy born in Baysville but who has made it in the cutthroat town of Rock Vegas. Will Fred win Wilma's love? Although it's over the top and it has one of the dumbest plots of all time The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas packs some laughs and on it's own way it's actually entertaining this is a fun guilty pleasure i know that is stupid and bad and the acting is a mess but i kinda liked it but still it's very corny and goofy

The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
15 April 2008

This prequel to the live action film based on the popular Hanna-Barbera cartoon sitcom is just as cheesy and ridiculous, and yet it does have slightly more to offer, from the same director Brian Levant (Beethoven, Jingle All The Way). Basically The Great Gazoo (Alan Cumming) has come to Earth to see how humans (or should that be Neanderthals) mate, in his case, Fred Flintstone (A Knight's Tale's Mark Addy) and Barney Rubble (Stephen Baldwin). Soon enough Fred and Barney meet and fall in love with Wilma Slaghoople (Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me's Kristen Johnston) and Betty O'Shale (30 Rock's Jane Krakowski). Betty and Barney suit each other perfectly, but Wilma's mother Pearl (Joan Collins) is not impressed with Fred, she wants Wilma to marry rich bastard Chip Rockefeller (Thomas Gibson). Chip obviously plans to make Fred and Barney look like criminals by giving them some credit to gamble in Viva Rock Vegas, they obviously see the opportunity to make money to impress their girlfriends. In the end, Chip is obviously defeated, and Fred and Wilma marry, with Betty catching the flowers, oh, and Gazoo (who only Fred and Barney could see) succeeded in his "mission". Also starring Cumming as Mick Jagged, Harvey Korman as Colonel Slaghoople, American Pie's John Cho as Parking Valet, The Mask's Jim Doughan as Dinosaur Confessor and Rosie O'Donnell as the voice of the Octopus Masseuse. Addy does quite well replacing John Goodman, Baldwin is certainly stupider than Rick Moranis was, Johnston is more voluptuous and husky voiced than Elizabeth Perkins and Krakowski is definitely better than O'Donnell, all in all, a near better film than the first. Okay!

Even weaker than the mediocre 1994 movie

Author: Electrified_Voltage from Guelph, Ontario, Canada
26 September 2010

I saw the 1994 live action "Flintstones" movie on video for the second time in 2000, about 4 ½ years after I first saw it, and thought it was great during my second viewing. That was shortly after this prequel, featuring a different cast, came to the silver screen, and I remember hearing about this film around that time. Since I was not nearly as impressed during my last couple viewings of 1994's "The Flintstones" (both many years after my second), I was in no hurry to see "The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas", especially since I knew it had an even worse reputation than its predecessor. It's been over 2 ½ years since I last saw the first live action "Flintstones" effort, and I've finally seen this second one, which is unsurprisingly not good.

The Great Gazoo is an alien who is sent to Earth by his species to learn about human mating rituals. Back on Earth, in the prehistoric town of Bedrock, Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble are two best friends who are both in search of girlfriends. They are the first ones Gazoo sees after he lands on the planet, so he decides to follow them around, even though he annoys them. Meanwhile, a rich young woman named Wilma Slaghoople is fed up with the snobbish people around her, especially her mother, and runs away. She goes to a restaurant and meets a waitress named Betty O'Shale, and they quickly become friends. Fred and Barney go to this restaurant and meet the two women. Fred gets a date with Betty and Barney gets one with Wilma. When the four of them go out together, Fred and Barney end up swapping girlfriends, but both of them are successful with their romance. Both couples are invited by Chip Rockefeller, Wilma's rich and arrogant ex-boyfriend, to his resort in Rock Vegas, but what they don't realize is that this is just a cruel scheme for Chip to win Wilma back!

The main problem with the 1994 film is that it simply isn't funny, and that's most certainly a major issue with this prequel as well. The only part of this film I couldn't keep a straight face while watching was the "I'm ignoring you" part. There's one memorably lame moment with a farting dinosaur, and most of the other gags are just mediocre. I was also not impressed with many of the performances here. Mark Addy may not be bad as Fred, and I guess Stephen Baldwin isn't that bad as Barney, though I definitely preferred Rick Moranis' portrayal of the character in the first film. These performances certainly aren't great, however, and I certainly didn't care for Kristen Johnston and Jane Krakowski as Wilma and Betty respectively. Also, Alan Cumming plays two characters, which are Gazoo and Mick Jagged (obviously based on real-life Rolling Stones frontman Mick Jagger), and both his performances fail, especially the former, I would say. At the beginning, showing Gazoo with other members of his species on a spaceship before he is sent to Earth, it already looks like this is going to be a very unfunny comedy movie, and unfortunately, that beginning sequence doesn't lie.

The first live action film adaptation of "The Flintstones" was a critical failure but a box office success, whereas "The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas" was both a critical AND box office flop. After watching it, that doesn't surprise me. I can't really think of anything wrong with the 1994 release other than the absence of laughs, but I would say that REALLY brings it down if quality, since it is supposed to be a comedy. Just like its predecessor, this prequel failed to make me laugh even one time, but this second film of the two also has inferior cast performances, and maybe a slightly more boring plot as well (I'm not 100% sure about that, as it's been a while since I last watched the first film), which makes it even worse. I only found it a BIT worse than the 1994 film, and don't absolutely hate it like many others clearly do, but some could find it a LOT worse, including some of those who like the first film. If you don't like 1994's "The Flintstones", you probably wouldn't like this prequel. If you do like that movie, there's probably STILL a good chance you wouldn't like "Viva Rock Vegas".

Lighten up, Francis. It's a cartoon sequel.

Author: jjs402
30 September 2000

Way too many critical comments. This is a cute family movie with just enough humor and tensions and moral to suit all viewers regardless of age. The special effects are good and the cinematography is actually interesting.

Some of the double entrendres are cute, but they harmlessly go right over the kid's head. (Remember, the theme song says "...They'll have a gay old time.")

There's a couple of clever buried jokes. (Did anyone else catch Gazoo's "Klaatu berada niktor" comment?)

Also, Kristin Johnson is quite easy on the eyes.

Remember, it's a MOVIE based on a CARTOON. Set your expectations accordingly. Enjoy.

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]