IMDb > The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

A Sequel That Is a Prequel That Is Not Equal to the Original

Author: tfrizzell from United States
26 July 2000

Like its predecessor, "The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas" tries to be likeable. However, this film is not quite up to par with the original. This version deals with the way the Flintstones came into existence. Young dino-crane operators Fred Flintstone (Mark Addy) and Barney Rubble (Stephen Baldwin) find true love in fast-food waitresses Wilma (Kristen Johnston) and Betty (Jane Krakowski). They take an expense-paid trip to Rock Vegas, but the evil Chip Rockefeller (Thomas Gibson) has a plan to get rid of Fred so he can have Wilma for himself. That is about it for the near invisible plot. Once again the production values are high, but that does not save this film from being a dud. The casting is impressive, but there is nothing for the cast to work with. Basically the first film with a different situation and different actors in the key roles. 2 out of 5 stars.

Fossilized dino deposits

Author: MartianOctocretr5 from Redondo Beach, CA
11 September 2006

This movie makes an awkward attempt to stay faithful to the spirit of the cartoon. It has moments, but far too few of them.

The few things done right first: Jane Krakowski makes a wonderful Betty; why couldn't she have been in the first movie? She makes the silly dialog somehow sweet and fun. The dating sequence is cute and the Vegas arrival scene has some clever sight gags, but these were fleeting montages. Harvey Korman is wasted in a throw-away role with few lines; instead of voicing Gazoo (as he did in the original cartoon), and the guy they use for Gazoo sounds like slate grinding on bedrock.

Joan Collins is obnoxious enough on her own; this movie has her play a wrenching stereotypical loudmouth mother-in-law who you want to feed to the nearest T-Rex you can find. And the guy that plays Barney? What the heck is he doing? His entire performance looked like a rejected audition for a junior high school production of "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure in Jurassic Park." Fred? The guy had a voice almost as nasally as Joan Collins. Wilma is cast as a 7-foot-tall giraffe. Fred goes gambling: Gee, what's gonna happen there? Fred and Barney dress up as dancers: they even manage to ruin this classic comedy routine. A poorly done triangle story falls flat.

This petrified fossil of a film does little justice to the Modern Stone-Aged Family. Rent some of the original cartoons, instead.

It's not that bad!

Author: Allan-14 from Mt. Vernon, WA.
20 May 2000

Jeez, it ain't THAT bad! 3.8? Maybe the original, MAYBE, but this is a substantial improvement over that, and the original has like a 4+ rating. I don't really give this a 10, I give it more like a 7.5, but I gave it a 10 because I found the ratings to be well, WAY OFF. This one had decent performances, really excellent art direction, and some really cool FX. I especially liked the Bronto-bridge and the Great Gazzoo. Unlike the first Flintstones, this prequel is smart, fun, and the actors truly become the characters they play. The story? LAME. The first 60% or so of the film DOES CLICK. But the rest, when they arrive in Rock Vegas, is pure dreck appealing to the lowest common denominator. But the film is so fun to look at, you really don't care. There are a lot of films to love to hate but this one really is NOT it. It's an adult Flintstones, if you can imagine that, and it's a small but cute treasure to behold.

Why?

Author: Maga from The world
11 September 2003

I cannot imagine in a million years how this thing got the go ahead. The first one bombed with major talent in it. So, why would you make a sequel to a bomb with lesser actors? I guess they thought kids would like it. Well, kids might be immature but they are not stupid. As foul as a dinasour terd, avoid at all costs.

Yabba Dabba Shut the Hell Up.

Author: normloman from United States
7 September 2006

This movie sucked and it sucked hard. If you cant get it right with a cast full of big name celebrities, what makes you think it will work again with less known actors, a lower budget, and a crappier script.

The problems with this movie? Nonexistent humor in a comedy. Unintentionally kitschy delivery. No attention to any of the artistic sides of film. A storyline that is pathetically laughable. I'm getting the feeling that this movie was only made for the money.

And let me just say: To the people who want to overlook this; the people who say "This Isn't Shakespeare" or "Come on, it's a good family film" - Regardless, this is still crap, and If you can't make a decent film, don't make it at all. The problem with movies now a days is that movies like these dominate the media. So no, I didn't expect this to be good in the first place. It's just a crummy cartoon sequel. But I do expect that movie makers should make decent worthwhile movies, and that isn't happening.

Shame on the people who made this terrible film! Shame on them!

Even weaker than the mediocre 1994 movie

Author: Electrified_Voltage from Guelph, Ontario, Canada
26 September 2010

I saw the 1994 live action "Flintstones" movie on video for the second time in 2000, about 4 ½ years after I first saw it, and thought it was great during my second viewing. That was shortly after this prequel, featuring a different cast, came to the silver screen, and I remember hearing about this film around that time. Since I was not nearly as impressed during my last couple viewings of 1994's "The Flintstones" (both many years after my second), I was in no hurry to see "The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas", especially since I knew it had an even worse reputation than its predecessor. It's been over 2 ½ years since I last saw the first live action "Flintstones" effort, and I've finally seen this second one, which is unsurprisingly not good.

The Great Gazoo is an alien who is sent to Earth by his species to learn about human mating rituals. Back on Earth, in the prehistoric town of Bedrock, Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble are two best friends who are both in search of girlfriends. They are the first ones Gazoo sees after he lands on the planet, so he decides to follow them around, even though he annoys them. Meanwhile, a rich young woman named Wilma Slaghoople is fed up with the snobbish people around her, especially her mother, and runs away. She goes to a restaurant and meets a waitress named Betty O'Shale, and they quickly become friends. Fred and Barney go to this restaurant and meet the two women. Fred gets a date with Betty and Barney gets one with Wilma. When the four of them go out together, Fred and Barney end up swapping girlfriends, but both of them are successful with their romance. Both couples are invited by Chip Rockefeller, Wilma's rich and arrogant ex-boyfriend, to his resort in Rock Vegas, but what they don't realize is that this is just a cruel scheme for Chip to win Wilma back!

The main problem with the 1994 film is that it simply isn't funny, and that's most certainly a major issue with this prequel as well. The only part of this film I couldn't keep a straight face while watching was the "I'm ignoring you" part. There's one memorably lame moment with a farting dinosaur, and most of the other gags are just mediocre. I was also not impressed with many of the performances here. Mark Addy may not be bad as Fred, and I guess Stephen Baldwin isn't that bad as Barney, though I definitely preferred Rick Moranis' portrayal of the character in the first film. These performances certainly aren't great, however, and I certainly didn't care for Kristen Johnston and Jane Krakowski as Wilma and Betty respectively. Also, Alan Cumming plays two characters, which are Gazoo and Mick Jagged (obviously based on real-life Rolling Stones frontman Mick Jagger), and both his performances fail, especially the former, I would say. At the beginning, showing Gazoo with other members of his species on a spaceship before he is sent to Earth, it already looks like this is going to be a very unfunny comedy movie, and unfortunately, that beginning sequence doesn't lie.

The first live action film adaptation of "The Flintstones" was a critical failure but a box office success, whereas "The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas" was both a critical AND box office flop. After watching it, that doesn't surprise me. I can't really think of anything wrong with the 1994 release other than the absence of laughs, but I would say that REALLY brings it down if quality, since it is supposed to be a comedy. Just like its predecessor, this prequel failed to make me laugh even one time, but this second film of the two also has inferior cast performances, and maybe a slightly more boring plot as well (I'm not 100% sure about that, as it's been a while since I last watched the first film), which makes it even worse. I only found it a BIT worse than the 1994 film, and don't absolutely hate it like many others clearly do, but some could find it a LOT worse, including some of those who like the first film. If you don't like 1994's "The Flintstones", you probably wouldn't like this prequel. If you do like that movie, there's probably STILL a good chance you wouldn't like "Viva Rock Vegas".

Mark Addy's Fred Flintstone is better than John Goodman's.

Author: jrb1802 from London, England.
14 May 2001

I was surprised by this movie.

I hated the original, I suppose because none of the cast of the original (except Elizabeth Perkins) resembled the Cartoon cast.

I'll probably get stoned alive for saying this, but I didn't like John Goodman's Fred Flintstone. I think he played him awkwardly as though, he didn't really want to be in the movie.

But Mark Addy was a lot lot better. OK, he didn't have the voice down to a tee, but he resembles Fred, when made up, a whole lot more than Mr. Goodman.

I just wish they would have asked Elizabeth Perkins to re-create her role as Wilma. She did a great job in the original, and resembled and sounded like the cartoon character, where Kristen Johnston, didn't quite do it for me in the role. She looked far too mature to be playing Wilma, and didn't have the voice either.

But full marks to Stephen Baldwin and Jane Krakowski as Barney and Betty. They were also a lot better than Rick Moranis and Rosie O'Donnell from the original film. Mostly because, again, they sounded like the cartoon characters and Krakowski resembled Betty. (Baldwin in no way looked like Barney though - oh, well, can't be perfect, but he makes up for it with the voice and laugh).

Joan Collins is also hilarious in the film, as the Filthy Rich Mother of Wilma, and again, does a better job that Elizabeth Taylor from the original.

Also watch out for Alan Cumming. He almost steals the film with his "Mike Jagged" from the Stones, while also playing an alien in a dual role.

With great creatures (Jim Henson workshop), good gadgets and an all-round enjoyable film, I give this an 8 out of 10.

a great, fun little movie

Author: thomasjuette from United States
1 June 2008

In reading a few of the negative reviews of this movie, I'm wondering if certain detractors actually even watched it. It's too easy for some people just to dis a flick because it is a sequel, or because it went straight to video, or because it's expected to be bad, or whatever. Don't let that happen with "Viva Rock Vegas": it is a fine little movie: fun, funny and visually rich in cartoony colors, costumes and sets. The acting (and voices) are top notch: Stephen Baldwin's "Barney" and Mark Addy's "Fred" are just fantastic; voices, mannerisms, etc. Jane Krackowski is spot on as Betty, (ditzy-ness and giggle-wise). Alan Cumming as "The Great Gazoo" is perfectly sarcastic and wise-ass. The CGI is very good, considering, as are the sets and costumes. The storyline makes sense, is plausible, and even engrossing (again, considering). For what it is, this is a great little movie, and compared to the first one (sheesh) it TOTALLY rocks ("rocks". get it?). I defy anyone who can actually tell a good movie from a bad one to watch this movie IN FULL, ALL THE WAY and TO THE END, and tell me that they weren't entertained by it.

The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
15 April 2008

This prequel to the live action film based on the popular Hanna-Barbera cartoon sitcom is just as cheesy and ridiculous, and yet it does have slightly more to offer, from the same director Brian Levant (Beethoven, Jingle All The Way). Basically The Great Gazoo (Alan Cumming) has come to Earth to see how humans (or should that be Neanderthals) mate, in his case, Fred Flintstone (A Knight's Tale's Mark Addy) and Barney Rubble (Stephen Baldwin). Soon enough Fred and Barney meet and fall in love with Wilma Slaghoople (Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me's Kristen Johnston) and Betty O'Shale (30 Rock's Jane Krakowski). Betty and Barney suit each other perfectly, but Wilma's mother Pearl (Joan Collins) is not impressed with Fred, she wants Wilma to marry rich bastard Chip Rockefeller (Thomas Gibson). Chip obviously plans to make Fred and Barney look like criminals by giving them some credit to gamble in Viva Rock Vegas, they obviously see the opportunity to make money to impress their girlfriends. In the end, Chip is obviously defeated, and Fred and Wilma marry, with Betty catching the flowers, oh, and Gazoo (who only Fred and Barney could see) succeeded in his "mission". Also starring Cumming as Mick Jagged, Harvey Korman as Colonel Slaghoople, American Pie's John Cho as Parking Valet, The Mask's Jim Doughan as Dinosaur Confessor and Rosie O'Donnell as the voice of the Octopus Masseuse. Addy does quite well replacing John Goodman, Baldwin is certainly stupider than Rick Moranis was, Johnston is more voluptuous and husky voiced than Elizabeth Perkins and Krakowski is definitely better than O'Donnell, all in all, a near better film than the first. Okay!

Only for 'dumb dumbs'

Author: george.schmidt (gpschmidt67@gmail.com) from fairview, nj
27 April 2004

THE FLINTSTONES IN VIVA ROCK VEGAS (2000) ** Mark Addy, Stephen Baldwin, Kristen Johnston, Jane Krakowski, Thomas Gibson, Joan Collins, Alan Cumming, Harvey Korman, Alex Meneses, (voices of Mel Blanc and Rosie O' Donnell). (Dir: Brian Levant)

`The Flintstones' were one of my all time favorite cartoons growing up and I certainly appreciated it years later as an uncanny Stone Age homage to `The Honeymooners' - arguably the greatest sitcom ever created - and was surprised that a prequel was in production to the less than stellar live action adaptation a few years ago with John Goodman, Elizabeth Perkins, Rick Moranis and Rosie O' Donnell. Go figure.

Here the plot - such as it is - centers on how good buddies Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble (Addy, the portliest member of the English lads in `The Full Monty' and Baldwin playing dim) met their future spouses Wilma and Betty - nee Slaghoople and O'Shale - (Johnston, the Amazonian alien from tv's `Third Rock From The Sun' and Krakowski of `Ally McBeal'). Seems Wilma is trying to get by when she abdicates her rich bitch mother Pearl (Collins, remarkably well-preserved precursor to the first film's Elizabeth Taylor) and her dotty, yet loving father the Colonel (perennial gold standard second banana comic vet Korman who gives plenty of smiles whenever he's onscreen), shirking her inherited lifestyle for a down on her luck lifestyle supported by the giddy barhop Betty who works at Bronto King where the two get along famously. It is there that the two cavemen meet the wives-to-be and set up a blind date after encountering mini alien The Great Gazoo (creepily envisioned with the full-size head of Cumming) who is there to observe mating habits of the `dumb dumbs'. From there the rest is - as the theme song goes - `a gay all time!' After the two couples find their true loves (Barney was originally Wilma's date and Fred, Betty's) they quickly realize they are meant to be together but Pearl's interference with her estranged daughter only makes matters worse when she throws a party inviting the foursome to discover her plans of getting Wilma back with her ex, playboy and snake in the grass Chip Rockefeller (Gibson of `Dharma and Greg') who ploys to usurp Fred from Wilma at a set up vacation in his casino in - you guessed it! - Rock Vegas. Sure the storyline is pretty lame and some of the puns ridiculous - which was the appeal of the tv series frankly - but the cast seems to be enjoying themselves. Addy gives an uncanny impersonation of both Jackie Gleason and Alan Reed, the original voice of Fred; Baldwin is believeably dippy; Johnston ably sexy and goofy and Krakowski's giggle is dead-on. And while the production design is accurate to the original with some inventive visuals (the dinosaur rollercoaster for example) and the debut of baby Dino the film just seems unnecessary and by the time Mick Jagged and the Stones (with Cumming - again - doing a gross caricature of Mick Jagger) arrive the energy seems depleted and going through the motions. Yet little ones who are just getting a taste for the classic cartoon will not be disappointed and of course I'm sure that Universal will still pump them out as long as there's an audience.

PS: My only quibble is why they didn't allow Korman to voice the superscilious Gazoo (which he was on the old show) and make him more of animatronic than the bizarre and disturbing looking one in the film. Maybe they can check into that for the inevitable sequel.

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]