IMDb > "Charmed" (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Charmed"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Charmed" More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 36: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

the best TV-series ever as long as the friends

Author: ail from Greece
26 April 2005

i started to watch the show at season 3.it was gorgeous.since then i have never lost an episode.in Greece it stopped at season 6. i hope it continues.first of all i adore the powers of Paige and piper.i wish i had them.also i would like to learn about Wyatt's powers.i was enthusiastic when piper was pregnant and she had this force field.well, the DVD has not yet arrived here.i hope it will soon.the best episode for me is the one where the kill the source of all evil.i would like to ask if Paige can heal other people.well after season 5 it had not a lot of action because they did not kill a lot of demons.i hope i will meet sometime in us. of course we missed Prue a lot.surely i give charmed 10 out of ten.

Worst show.

Author: Tspeedracr from United States
26 April 2003

Can you say TERRIBLE SHOW?! Cause this certainly is. Every single episode seems to have the same stupid plot. The acting is bad, the characters are annoying at best, the plot holes are too extensive to name, and the so-called villains are ridiculous. All that this show is, is a copy off of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, except Buffy did it better, funnier, and more real. I cannot express enough how bad this show really is. When this show actually manages to do a new story it hasn't done before the idea of the episode is horrible! The dialogs are uninteresting, the underlying plots are a JOKE, and the jokes are not funny. Please, stop watching this show people, then, maybe it will, with any luck at all, go off air before it's too late and it has succeeded in ruining television forever.

Umm... I sincerely hope it will improve with time

Author: Sabriane from Melbourne, Australia
10 September 1999

I have somewhat mixed feelings about this show. I like the three sisters very much, they make a wonderful team of independent, spunky, spirited heroines; their occasional sibling rivalry games are fun to watch. But everything else about the show is disappointedly mediocre so far. The men are either evil warlocks or bland, personality-free love interests. The special effects are cheesy, the acting (apart from the sisters) is often plain awful; and the there is nothing even remotely fresh or original about the plot. A man who has a power to kill it's victims in their sleep, a man who feeds by sucking the life force from his victims... yawn. Been there, done that. But like I said, I think there's potential in this series, and I hope it gets better with time.

The Best Show Ever?!

Author: xyzabc-7
21 January 2008

This is one of the best shows ever! Holly Marie Combs does a fantastic job portraying Piper Halliwell the middle-turned-oldest sister and was amazing through out the series. Charming (no pun intended) Alyssa Milano brought some funny moments to the show as Phoebe, even after the hilarious (but sweet) Rose McGowan took the role for Paige Mathews after the daringly beautiful Shannen Doherty left the show (when Prue dies) and the Charmed Ones were broken.

Plot holes were always fun to find-Leo aging even though whitelighters aren't able to age, when the Charmed Ones travel back to the late '60's to find Grams in her 20's or so and Patty to be a little girl when she's supposed to have Prue in several years and Gram's is in her 60's when Prue is born. (There are so many others!)

I cried when the show ended! I really did. I miss the actresses (and those wonderful actors too-they were way too hot to forget) and Sunday nights are now so very boring without Charmed to fill up the screen with some new, almost crazy adventure the girls go through. I watch the re-runs on TNT just about everyday and in the mornings, too!

This really was a great show and I hope (though it most likely won't happen) that the cast does something that continues with Charmed, almost like a reunion show.

This has got to be my most favorite show and I have watched every episode on the WB since it's premiere in 1998 when I first got hooked.

I'll miss Charmed!

It was brilliant - until Shannen Doherty left

Author: Barry from Wakefield, England
21 June 2007

Being a bloke im not supposed to watch Charmed, but growing up in a house full of women it was my only option and i watched it right on from Series 1 until the 6th season. They should have finished this when it got to season 5 because since Shannen left, the show slid down until it hit rock bottom in series 6 when the show was not about 'girl power' or 'magic' or anything like that.

It became full of sleazy jokes and innuendos that weren't funny, the girls cared less about Demon Hunting and focused more on their jobs and relationships, it was swinging more to the 7th heaven side of things than to the Buffy the Vampire Slayer side.

I shall be honest. The first 3 seasons were brilliant, they were action packed great to watch and the 3 female leads were great to look at too and Shannen's departure from the show was great. But after that, it just went sour!

frustrating!

Author: blackbritishbabe from United Kingdom
14 July 2006

hmm...! for some reason i find this series quite compelling and since i switched on to it on living TV, i have not missed an episode. i find this frustrating because charmed is a bit rubbish, quite frankly.

i would have to say that the first three series were the best, some of the plots were pretty decent, especially as the women adjusted to their new abilities. i liked the fact that they didn't always (in fact, seldom) got it right when fighting demons, although this wore thin by season eight.

having said that, the quality of the acting was inconsistent; the actress that played piper had this vacant look on her face most of the time as though she'd wandered onto the set by mistake. in fact the male supporting actors outperformed the stars at all times. character development was virtually non-existent, and when it did occur it was a contrivance for the plot, rather than the other way around. for example, it never made sense to me that cole did not tell phoebe about his "i'm possessed by the source" problem, and you never got a sense of his struggle to evolve into a human being. the plots themselves left a lot to be desired, consequently you could usually predict the ending of the show five minutes after it started.

don't even get me started on the script...

...oh, alright then. i don't know if the actors themselves were wooden, but the witches came out with some lame comments at times. i can recall when piper found out that she was going to have fertility problems, not only did she choose to tell her husband in front of all her sisters, but then failed to explain to him why they were going to have problems conceiving, and basically told him not to worry, it will work out. you'd think they were talking about the family car breaking down! and how did they overcome those conception problems anyway? just one of the numerous plot holes...

i'm giving this a five because of the quality of male totty. julian mcmahan, brian krause and nick lachey i salute you!

Goes Downhill in a Hurry

Author: trumpetguru from United States
23 August 2009

You can read other comments for an in-depth look at what the show Charmed is all about. Long story short, it's about three witch sisters who discover that girl power, sister power, and The Power of Random Rhymes can overcome all challenges.

The first few seasons (aka the Prue seasons) were an enigma. Throw in the cliché "Oh all I want is a normal life!" every 20 minutes and you get the idea. They hated their powers, yet had no problem using them. All they wanted was something normal (including normal boyfriends, which they went through VERY quickly), but embraced their abnormality.

The Prue seasons weren't known for terrific scripts, but I do give them points for effort. Compared to the Paige seasons, they are watchable. The outfits the girls wear are reasonable, the plots are decent, and the villains are typical, unmotivated, unoriginal, but they have some good special effects.

AFTER Doherty leaves the scene, the show goes downhill in a hurry. The outfits become TREMENDOUSLY skimpy even when they are in normal clothes. It's clear that Piper stood up for herself and decided to wear something reasonable. Her siblings, however, routinely wear clubbing clothes (or LESS) or sports bras, lingerie, or bust-enhancing tops. The outfits include leather Amazon women outfits, sexy super hero outfits, and so on. Then comes Phoebe as a half-naked mummy, Phoebe as a half-naked mermaid, Phoebe...just half-naked. Then you have Paige as a half-naked vampire, Paige lying in bed with random boyfriend #47 naked, Paige lying in bed with random boyfriend #81 in just her pink bra, Paige in an ultra-mini-skirt and knee high boots, etc etc etc.

I won't get into the mess that became Chris, Wyatt, and the whole Whiny Season. Leo whines that he won't be a good dad, Chris whines that his dad ignores him (and wants to kill him for it), and Piper just...whining. After The Source is eliminated (AGAIN), we get a SLEW of demons trying to be the New Source, all of them lasting about one episode and all of them totally, completely, lame.

Perhaps my BIGGEST complaint is the lack of common sense and continuity the series has. If the show had 80 episodes, there would be 78 times that a demon would break into the house and furniture would be smashed in the ensuing battle. You would think that with all the magic floating around, they would make the Haliwell Manor the Magical Fortress. Why can't they put magical forces around the house? It is always so INCREDIBLY EASY for a demon to enter the house and attack the sisters. I always wondered why an ARMY of demons just didn't charge the house...even with their incredible powers, 100 demons should overpower 3 witches.

The first season (give or take) heavily mentioned Darklighters. These beings are the only ones that can kill Whitelighters with evil, poisoned, crossbows. However, after the first season, the Darklighters are practically never heard from again.

Late in the series, we learn about Magic School. Who are they kidding??? Any 6 year old can see that Harry Potter is a direct link here. They even wear BLACK ROBES like Harry Potter. Apparently, this school never existed before because there was ZERO mention of it until Piper wants to use it as a daycare center.

The whole Billie season was an absolute joke. The producers end the 7th season with the sisters having a tremendous battle against evil and then altering their appearance so it looks like they too were killed. The sisters then ride off into the sunset...until they get pulled back in again. Billie is searching for a kidnapped sister. Funny how demons have no reason to kidnap any human...except for this one. Billie goes on a crusade to save her sister and then...does. But we never see how. It just...happens. Maybe someone at the Academy for the Magically Gifted helped? Oh wait...DEMONS TOOK IT OVER AND WE NEVER SAW HOW THAT HAPPENED EITHER! The show does have some promising moments and some memorable episodes. Some plots are downright original and some of the acting can be award winning. If only it was enough to save us from the final travesty. All the girls have to do is say a rhyme...any rhyme...and they win. Paige opens a portal to a past life back in the Dark Ages with...a rhyme. The girls fend off demons with...a rhyme. The girls solve simple problems with...a rhyme. Why bother with the kung fu, magical orbing, freezing of time when all you have to do is say "This attack cannot end well, you cannot have this Haliwell"??? Starts off well, then goes downhill in a hurry.

The show does so little research, that it tend to make itself foolish.

Author: Lollipop4598 from United States
3 December 2004

I don't expect a ton of historical accuracy when dealing with legends like leprechons, Cupid, and demons, but the writers of this show know less then an average fifth grader. The acting is pretty uninspired. Worst of all, the sisters are so powerful, that the demons have no chance. The three witches screech at the demons as if they were little girls frightened by a household pest, throw up their hands, and the demons disappear. The whole confrontation takes a second. The fact that the demons think they could possibly have a chance is a mystery. Even the episode leading to the death of one of the sisters made no sense at all. It was clear that the character died so that the real life actress could be replaced. There have recently been some successful shows in this genre, and this is an attempt to capitalize on the success of shows like "Buffy" and "Smallville". Do yourself a favor and watch one of those instead of this mindless fare.

one of the worst series on television, hands down...

Author: jclikesfilm from United States
30 May 2007

I've tried several times to watch this show for more than 45 seconds, just to catch a glimpse of my lovely San Francisco or Ms. Milano, to no avail. Can't make it through 30 seconds. Preposterously poor writing and dialog, absurd situations and plot twists. Takes itself far too seriously to be satirical. Simply horrible. Horrendous. Horrific. Perilously poor. Did I mention the acting? I think revolting is apt. Turns out Ms. Milano is a producer. She's not aged well and her production is a flop. I have NO clue as to how it remained on the air for more than a single season. Some of the cameos I've seen while flipping by the station have been hilarious. Awful. Sickening. Terrible.

Not the bewitched you grew up with

Author: Realrockerhalloween from United States
15 August 2016

Charmed is about three sisters who happened to be witches and deals with them coming to terms with their powers.

It started out as a monster of the week type format before switching into a serial.

The charmed ones would often have to deal with morals finding out about their magic, relationships, sisterhood and any type of demon or Warnock sent by The Source.

During season four, Shannon Dorothy left the show due to infighting between the caste and the decision to to be more kid friendly. The new introduction of Paige, their long lost sister, revived and kept it alive for five years.

The show was best when it really dug into its roots by exploring their r family treat in the witch is back or All Halliwell's Eve. The sisters were about to bound, learn different types of magic using nature and had a great villain in Balthazar.

Cole became a regular during season three and during that time was involved with The love of his life Know be Halliwell. When they finally took on the Source he became possessed and they became rules of the underworld. It was the saddest romance in history and didn't end well for either of them.

It would be further explored in season five yet it was cheapened and made all the shippers hate the dynamic known as Pheole.

Charisma Carpenter and Billy Zane were two surprised guests gave season seven a boost in ratings after the fluffy season five and dreary awful season six.

It should've been the last season to go out on Yet money talked and got the worst finale season I've ever seen. It Was voided of magic, departure of long time cast members and raise of the same sets for every scene.

Charmed started out as a nice show to watch on Sunday nights and was a favorite of mine.I guess it goes to show that when it comes to quantity over quality that it should've ended in season four.