IMDb > "Charmed" (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Charmed" More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 35: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Lost it's Charm

Author: rorygunn
16 July 2003

Once again Shannen Doherty a good actress was fired from a good show and once they tried to replace her and failed miserably.I like Rose McGowan but since she's come on this show she's lost her edge which might would've helped.Instead she's become all giggly now.That was the first mistake.Mistake two-Focusing everything on Phoebe.Yeah Alyssa's hot but you can only go so far on that and after awhile the tattoos get on your nerves.I've never seen the original pilot but what was wrong with Lori Rom that they had to replace her?I guess they didn't envision her on the cover of Maxim & Stuff even though she probably could've done a good job in the role.Apparently she left for personal reasons.Okay.I don't deal in rumors but you don't have to be friends off the set to do a good show.But apparently the producers thought so and so they chucked Shannen a strong actress in favor of a weaker but hotter one who was getting all the covers instead of sticking to the ensemble setting that it was supposed to be..Now all the strength is gone and poor Holly Marie Combs is stuck because she signed the contract to continue playing second fiddle in the Phoebe show.This is why Cole left.Because the show was getting too soap opera like and that's not what he or Shannen signed on for.Neither did I.I watched this show from the beginning and loved it.But then through half of season 4 it lost it's charm.

Entertaining, as long as you don't expect it to be too serious!

Author: BunnyPhobic from London, England
30 June 2003

Fantasy and Sci Fi shows have to be my favourite. I started watching Charmed one boring monday night when I was babysitting and not much else was on. I have to say, I really enjoyed it.

To begin with. Don't get me wrong, but it caters mostly for kids. I only started watching it at the start of Series 5 but I have seen many older episodes on reruns and I think it has gone down hill.

It was far better when Shannen Doherty was in it. I loathe shows that introduce another sibling/random other family member without any real explaination. This is nothing against Rose McGowen, I think she's great! (She used to go out with Marilyn Manson, don't you know!) But they should have quit while they were ahead.

So, despite the introduction of this new sister who I don't much like and 'demons' who look human (I like special effects! Buffy style!!!) it's pretty OK if you're not expecting it to be serious.

The acting is great though. I especially think Holly Marie Combs (Piper) does a great job! She has a huge range and can make me laugh out loud with Piper's brilliant one liners and cry with emotion.

All in all, it's good. But Shannen's departure has seriously harmed it. 6/10

Loved the show since day one

Author: Robb ( from Millville, New Jersey
10 June 2003

Love it, but feel the need to express concern with where it is going.

Leo is now an Elder? Curious.....

Waiting for the new season.

BTW, Rose makes a great addition to the show, since Shannen can't seem to stick with anything for more than a few seasons(well, not when Spelling is involved). :-)

Author: bambi525_uk from London, England
22 May 2003

I have watched this program from the start. I have always found exciting and interesting. However, I was quite disappointed when they killed off Prue and replaced her with Paige. I felt that Paige never quite fitted in and that they made a big mistake killing Prue. The programme is really good though, and there is never a dull moment. Prue, Piper and Phoebe are brilliant and they actresses that play them are amazing and very talented. This show is worth watching. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Charmed Season 5

Author: valens-69 from New York
11 May 2003

After a somewhat disappointing season 3, Charmed made a huge comeback in season 4.

So with that i was pumped for season 5.

But season 5 turned out to be the worst of the series. The plots were just horrible, the scripts were awful.

Charmed has officially jumped the shark

When we last left the Charmed ones Piper(Holly Marie Combs) was pregnant, a lot of season 5 deals with her pregnancy up to the birth, at times all the dialog was about was the unborn baby and it got a bit annoying.

Phoebe(Alyssa Milano) is trying to stay away from Cole(Julian Mcmahon)

Cole swears he has changed but Phoebe blows him off and as the season goes on Cole goes a bit mad.

Phoebe is wrapped up in her work which makes for some really annoying moments.

Paige(Rose McGowan) who was so great in season 4 pretty much became an

airhead, week after week she seemed to get dumber and dumber.

Everynow and then the characters would be fun, but the episodes still were boring.

Leo(Brian Krause) really had nothing to do, he was just sort of there adding nothing to the plot, all he really did was constantly check with the elders.

It was the same old plots as seasons past, how many times can they do the same plots, and not just that but one week while watching Charmed i realized that the plot for the episode was pretty much the same one from a few weeks before.

Season 3 may have been disappointing but did have it's share of good

episodes, but when season 3 was all said and done i would give it passing grade.

Season 5 though didn't really have any good episodes they were horrible or decent for the most part. Cole was the only good character on the show and when he left that hurt even more.

Cole was written out on the 100th episode titled centennial Charmed, which was one of the very few episodes that were any good.

Darryl Morris(Dorian Gregory) continues to help the sisters from time to time.

Dorian Gregory seemed to do less episodes then he usually does, and i bet he was ok with that seeing what a mess season 5 was.

Charmed will be back for a 6th season but i can't see it getting any worse then season 5 but then again who knows.

Through the first 4 seasons there was never an episode i would say was

horrible, but season 5 had plenty of them.

One episode had Phoebe turning some guy into a chicken and on another episode the Charmed ones turned a demon into a tree and i thought to myself they're really running low on ideas.

There was a lot of comedy but it was so cheesy, i would laugh cause it was so bad.

It's still possible for Charmed to make a comeback but this late into the series i doubt it.

If season 6 is anything like season 5 let's just hope it's the last.

The only reason i kept watching was cause i have seen every episode to the series and i kept watching in hopes the season would improve as it went on.

By seasons end Leo becomes an elder meaning he can no longer see his son Wyatt his wife Piper or Paige and Phoebe.

The Charmed ones also get a new whitelighter who may not be what he seems.

I give Charmed Season 5 5/10

Giving it a 5 may be too high but the season finale was well done and could maybe create some good storylines for season 6.

The BEST Show EVER!!!

Author: stevecharming from London
4 May 2003

I have been a devoted Charmed fan for 4 years and i still dont get bored from watching episode after episode. The show has gone from strentgh to strentgh and never stops improving. I hope this show doesn't end anytime soon cos i no it'll be truly missed. The thre main actresses are great at what they do and deserve at least an Emmy nomination if not award, Plus the fact that they're incredibly hot helps the viewing pleasure. Alyssa Milano (Phoebe Halliwell) and Holly Marie Combs (Piper Halliwell) are not only stunning but are also both brilliant actresses i wish them luck in whatever they choose to do next!!!!!!!!

It's not supposed to be Wicca 101

Author: Lisa Rodrigues from Tucson, Arizona
18 March 2003

If you're looking for a crash course on what it means to be Wiccan, this isn't it.

What Charmed is, however, is a very engaging story about three sisters who happen to be the most powerful demon-fighting witches to ever exist. It isn't a documentary... it's a FUN show.

I'm so hooked that I start my day watching the TNT syndicated reruns (I missed the first 3 seasons).

I won't babble about how sad I am that Prue left the show. She didn't leave... she was fired. If you read her IMDB Trivia, 2001 was a pretty bad year for Doherty. She has had problems with alcohol and anger management since 1997. (Don't get mad at me... this database documents both).

I'm just irked that they haven't shown anything new since Piper's son was born. It's amusing that the spoiler sites describe two more shows, but the local WB hasn't shown them yet. What's interesting is the sex change of the baby. Everyone assumed it would be a girl because of the trip into the future...

If you like the show... enjoy it. If you don't... orb off.

Charmed is great entertainment

Author: sarascharmx from QLD, AUSTRALIA
22 January 2003

Why slander perfectly good entertainment. When you could be concertrating on more inportant things like how you can help the homeless...or save the environment. Its fun, its exciting, and no, you don't have to be a super genius to figure it out. So what if it's solved in an hour. Big deal. The way it represents Wicca is false to an extent. But everyone knows it, and if they don't they will get told pretty quickly. Nobody has bothered go after Charmed because there is nothing wrong with it! Charmed is just a program. It's not based on facts (To an extent) and its not ment to make you beleive that's what real Witches do. I know it isn't i know heaps of them. So i think Charmed is a completely fine program, with fine issue that the producers (The big shots that have control) put in it...It rocks!

Excellent Show

Author: ( from Houston, Texas
7 January 2003

This is currently my favorite show. I saw it for the first time a few years ago and got hooked last year. I love the plot. I love the idea of magic and the battle between good and evil. It is truly a pity that Prue was killed off, Though I still like Rose McGowan. An excellent performance from all actresses. Nowadays, I notice that the previews for "Next week's episode" make the show seem like a silly has-been, but each week I am surprised to see that the show has lost very little from its original content. At times, Cole's insanity adds a bit of humor to the show. In response to the commentary posted by the gentleman with the historical insight on warlocks and Wicca, I say that though his facts are correct, it should be noted that not all shows are based on correct historical fact. That is part of what makes the show fun. It should also be noted that the kind of show that does not accurately follow historical fact falls well within the boundaries of the genre "fiction". I suggest that before you post such degrading commentary of a show, you look at the other reviews, and wonder what effect your one comment will have on thousands of fans. I look forward to watching the show for several years to come. I wonder how Melinda (Piper's daughter) will affect the show.

Author: jslurpie19 from Dirty South, USA
11 December 2002

Dude, it's a show okay?! It's not supposed to be heavily drenched with sicko wiccan facts! It's a kick ass show that's not supposed to be like "help me help me! I use black magic lets go do suicide!" god, get a friggin life! People like you always make you think what when wrong with people today.

Can you say weirdo?

The show wasn't supposed to be all about dumb ass facts from wicca. It's called imagination. Get one.