IMDb > "Charmed" (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Charmed"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Charmed" More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 36: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Great Fantasty Show! (This Contains Spoilers)

Author: delenn7 from North Vancouver BC Canada
6 August 2008

This is one of favourite shows! Too bad it's not still on but I own all of dvds! This show was about 4 sisters Prue (Shannen Doherty} Piper (Holly Marie Combs) Phoebe ( Alyssa Milano) and later half-sister Paige (Rose McGowan) who are witches who fight evil forces called the Charmed ones. Other characters include] Leo (Brian Krause} protector healer and lover of Piper, Andy (T.W. King} and Darryl (Dorian Gregory) who are cops and friends of the Charmed Ones, Chris (Drew Fuller) a mysterious character who appears later on the show from the future, Cole (Julian McMahon) a half-demon/half-human and Billie (Kaley Cuoco} a mysterious witch who appears in the last season. This show has humour, suspense, action, fanatsy, and romance! Watch it if you like fantasy and magic!

I love this show!

Author: Kashavera Williams (kashaverawilliams@msn.com) from United States
23 December 2007

I love this show. I own every season on DVD. I have to say that I really missed Prue. She actually was the reason why I have started watching this show. Then the hottie Leo grabbed my attention. I cannot believe that (Sam) has grown up to be so pretty. I hope to see her in more things. I really didn't know Holly (Piper) until I saw her in this Life Time movie and I love her in Charmed as well. I was also sad to see Darryl (Dorrian) leave the show and when he turned on the sisters that really bugged me. I also thought that Rose (Paige) was a good replacement and Piper has done a good job taking over as the oldest and powerful sister. I wish that Phobe would have had a more active power rather than to levitate. I liked when she was married to Cole (Julian) and was pregnant and was able to have the power of the source. Those are my favorite episodes. I am really going to miss this show and I am glad to be able to own every season. I wish that during the last show, Prue was able to come back. They brought back Older Chris and Wyatt then they also bought back Patty and Grams but not Prue. I was hoping they would do that for at least one season but since Shannon didn't get along with Alyssa I guess they couldn't. Well I hope all of you enjoy the reruns on Television. I will enjoy the shows on my DVD's. If you would like to send me a message, I believe my email is on this page so make sure you put Charmed or something like that and I will open the message.

Kashavera

Rubbish

Author: Satchman from Mars
15 May 2003

Worst load of old rubbish I've ever seen. Pathetic plots about warlocks, wizards and witches.

Three gormless sisters discover they're actually witches. That's probably a bonus, because they certainly don't have any other talents, particularly not acting.

I watched an episode once erroneously thinking it would get better as the episode went on. I discovered just how wrong I was. The silliness factor increases exponentially as time passes. Still, it could be worse... It could be "Sabrina the Teenage Witch"

So if you want to waste half an hour of your life sometime, watch this series.

On the other hand, you could save yourself the frustration, trust my judgement on this and spend the half hour of your life doing something more constructive, like watching anything (and I mean ANYTHING) else.

My Insperation for : Shannon Doherty, Holly Marie Combs, Alysa Milano and Rose McGowan

Author: Ashleigh Shaw from Australia
16 September 2011

Shannon Doherty, Holly Marie Combs, Alysa Milano and Rose McGowan were my inspiration. I don't know what they were all my inspiration for but...

Mabey to build a better life like the sisters bond for each other, but they were, or rather 'are' my inspiration, my hero's or my goal in life...

I have even re created the book of shadows... I put most of the demon vanquishing posh ens and spells in there and almost all of the spells ... my favorite spell is

'The Truth Spell' :

For those who want the truth reveled, Opened hearts and secrets unsealed, From now until its now again, After witch the memory ends, Those who now are in this house, Will hear the truth from others mouths

fantastic

Author: jenny-nathan-27-669593 from Australia
14 April 2011

first of all let me start by saying this is one of the best TV show's i have seen. i own all eight seasons and i still say charmed is the best out there.

not only did every season bring new battles and demons's and adventure's but it bought us closer to the people of charmed,the actor's and directer's, they all did wonderful work.

i am a fan, and i love this show..

it's not only for young people but it's great for all ages, i gave it a 10 out of 10.

i would rate it higher if i could.

a must see show for anyone at any age.

i hope they bring a season 9 out that would be the best, the acting was great and the whole thing was done fantastic.

for now i still watch it whenever i can..

Not the worst show in history, BUT comes near in its genre of supernatural shows

Author: witchbluex9 from London, England
24 August 2004

Personally I have a lot of mixed views about Charmed. I've always loved Buffy and is a big hard-core fan, and I've always loved supernatural shows and movies. And when I first saw Charmed, I thought it was great. Reasonably original. However, after a few seasons I started to get bored. Because it seemed that all the episode are the same!!! I mean how many times have all the same or similar plot lines have been used? You know, especially the ones when one of the sisters turns evil or some demon has come and try to take their powers away. And the endings are always the same, you know, someone gets all emotional and start getting all heroical and says some really lame and repeated stuff that are meant to be inspiring but just dis-encourage people even more. But nevertheless, the sisters just suddenly get some new brilliant ideas or strength and vanquish the demon with some badly-rhymed spell. Seriously, every episode it's always the same routine and the characters just seem so two-dimensional.

A lot of people compare Charmed with Buffy and I really don't think the two are even in the same league. Buffy has some of the most memorable and witty lines in history while Charmed's lines are just about as dry as paper, with virtually no comedic elements. And even when they try to be funny, it just comes out real awkward.

And then there's just another thing I feel that is just too much. Have you noticed about they just always try to put Alyssa Milano in skimpy clothes or some flesh-showing dresses to attract people's attentions?

Another thing, the sisters always goes on about the countless innocents they've saved, but how many can there be considering all they do is sit at home waiting for some premonitions or a poor helpless victim staggers to their door. Whereas Buffy actually goes out to patrol every night.

Anyway, I shouldn't ramble on too much and criticize Charmed too much because in the recent eps, they've got a little better. But still, I hope they can come up with some ORIGINAL ideas and maybe develop into the Power-of-Three myth a little more.

If you wanted the show to suck, why didn't you just say so?

Author: Da_Sammo from usa
9 April 2004

This show used to be good. I had heard about it from a friend and as soon as I heard that it was about witches, I was immediately interested. The first season was very well done, it was all about the girls figuring out their new powers. Season 2 was the best, thanks to the love triangle between Piper, Leo, + Dan. Season 3 was solid as well, with Piper and Leo getting married. The only complaint I have about the first three seasons was that most of the episodes were about Prue. Every other episode was about her. Yes, she was a good character and Shannen Doherty is a very good actress to be able to play her, but thank God the show started to focus on Leo + Piper's relationship and took the spotlight off Prue.

Now comes season 4....

Prue is killed off. This is where the show's downfall started. The writers make up this story about a half sister named Paige whom they just happen to hear about to complete the power of three. Sorry Paige, but you just can't replace Prue. Prue may have seemed like a b**ch sometimes but she and Leo and Piper were kind of like the voices of reason on that show. Phoebe was never really a voice of reason, but she was a lot more interesting in the first three seasons. She seemed like a young, carefree girl in the first three seasons and seems like a depressed supermodel in the others.

Once Paige came in the show started its downfall. Everyone on the show started changing everything about it as if testing on what could suck more. Piper is still very good and was the only character that remains practically unchanged throughout the whole series. She and Leo were the only really good characters left. Paige just seems...I'm really not sure, to tell you the truth. I think it's because the show thought that she could totally replace Prue. Not even Phoebe or Piper or Leo talk about her that much. Someone on here suggested that she could come back as a ghost and I think that's a really good idea. They already brought back Grams and their mother millions of times so why not bring back Prue, too??

Cole is killed off. Also, in the seasons 4 and 5 there are less and less regular problems. Their lives seem to be totally centered around magic and the underworld is brought in thousands of times. Finally this show really blew it at the end of season 5 or 6 when they decided to add more drama to the show and make Leo an Elder so he would have a lot less time on the show. Like I said before, Piper and Leo were the only two voices of reason left. Taking away Leo was what I consider the biggest mistake the show has ever made. I haven't seen the new episodes but I hear that now Wyatt has unbelievable powers so now he's like the most powerful wizard or warlock or whatever they would want to call a boy witch/half-whitelighter. I also hear that Chris, the whitelighter who came to replace Leo (I just love it how this show thinks it can replace people just like that), is probably Wyatt from the future. I'm not sure if either of these facts are true, but I wouldn't know. I don't bother to watch the new episodes anymore because I know they are all garbage.

So here's my overall view of the show: The first three seasons were good. Paige started the downfall. Season 6=garbage. I seriously think that the people on the show should get rid of Piper. She is the only good character left and since they want the show to suck so badly, they might as well kill her off, too.

For Kids Who Don't Know Better

Author: Papacy24 from United States
22 November 2015

The show "Charmed" has a huge cult following but lacked substantial merit in regards to influencing social conscious. Instead of taking real world issues to address and provide solutions they parodied the sufferings of our society. One could say there was no strong female role model to look up to. When a show's main stars are all or mostly women who are independent, powerful and virtuous, it is expected for them to inspire viewers to face their own "demons." Instead, Charmed served as an outlet for fleeting gratification. People watched it for either their own amusement or as a way to distract themselves from the "demons" plaguing their own lives. I cannot say that anything truly useful was provided by the series. People love fantasy, but the real world is not fantasy.

If you take away all the glitter, glamour and glitz the show heavily emphasized, you would get the fundamental basis for its content which is three independent sisters who are bound to each other by a historical legacy of witchcraft. The catch is, unlike their ancestors, they are destined to fight the forces of evil. The forces of evil were poorly constructed fiction, having no relevance to what we deal with in the real world. The "demons" were single-minded in which their goal was to steal the powers of the Charmed Ones. Some committed violence against mortals but other than that, all were merely one-sided in character development with foolish names.

It is strange that issues such as teen pregnancies, alcoholism, incest, rape, domestic violence and even corruption in politics or religious institutions were not addressed directly or in the form of fact-based fantasy. For example, one could address political corruption by having an antagonist be a mayor who is also a demon. It is about how power easily corrupts, the amount of energy that goes into maintaining a flawless image and mundane job duties. Charmed feds junk wrapped in a pretty bow to the audience which craved it every week.

It would be amiss to not state the fact that "Charmed" has never received any valuable accolades. No Oscar, Emmy or Golden Globe? The only award somewhat worth mentioning is the Saturn for which they did not win but received a nomination.

Loss of caring

Author: dleigh37 from Canada
5 May 2009

The first few seasons of charmed were entertaining, character-driven, and each episode was different. However, as time went on, episodes dragged into little mini-series, and some of the story-lines were lame. It became almost cheesy, however, having said that, I own all of the seasons, and with the exception of the last 2, I enjoy them immensely.

I love the idea of powerful women, who learned how to balance more than than the average woman, and still made it work. It isn't too often that you get characters (and the right people to play them), while making it entertaining.

I hold out hope for a "charmed again" revival, perhaps, picking up where they left off, and bringing in the children as older characters.

Great show if not taken too seriously. (possible spoiler)

Author: Wolf_God2005 from United States
30 July 2008

Charmed is a show about three sisters who happen to be the most powerful witches of all time who spend their days fighting demons while trying to live "normal" lives. They run across all kinds of magical creatures and problems from mermaids and ghosts to fairy tales and vampires, they even go toe-to-toe with gods. It starts out with Prue, Piper and Phoebe as the Charmed ones and they do a very good job of portraying siblings. Pure as the oldest is strong and arrogant, Piper, the middle is the level headed one who acts as mediator to the other two, and Phoebe is convincing as the youngest who is out to just enjoy live, screw the consequences. Later Paige comes in and throws everything off and you can see how the sisters must adjust to their new roles as oldest, middle, and youngest. Naturally the show starts out with them fighting seemingly weak villains and slowly moving on up until they fight the source of all evil. This leads to one of the problems with Charmed, they fight the strongest demon out there and after that you would expect the show to wind down, NOPE, instead some other demon who is just as strong always seems to pop up. It gets a little repetitive. There are also a lot of plot holes and things left unaddressed, this is probably because the show has so many staff changes. If you're looking for a serious show about magic this is not it, it constantly pokes fun at itself and can get obnoxiously corny but if you can make it through those parts you will find a show that is both funny and has a very deep story. You see the sister mature as witches and people as the show moves along. they realize things about the greater good while dealing with loss and hardship. Oddly enough the greatest challenges that the sisters face come from regular people, usually cops but also from reporters and lovers. If you want a show that is funny, deep, magical, and offers a great insight to families then Charmed is the way to go despite its flaws.