IMDb > "Charmed" (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Charmed"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Charmed" More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 36:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Horrible. Quite possibly the worst show to ever air for more than 3 seasons.

Author: inferno272 from Georgia
29 August 2006

So lets get one thing straight, I've watched the first 7 years, many episodes more than once. Why? simple, I'm a 26 year old guy, and I like to look at the bosoms. Thats it. I'm a HUGE HUGE HUGE Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan, but not because of the plethora of attractive women that appear on that show. No, because of the writing, depth, and emotional resonance. Charmed will always be known as a Buffy clone w/o any of the good writing, acting, story lines, depth, and as i mentioned, emotional resonance.

let me sum up the first 7 years, since i haven't seen the 8th one yet (but ill watch it just so i know how the story finished)

I hate being a witch I love being a witch I hate being a witch I love being a witch I hate being a witch I love being a witch "maybe this is an innocent we just cant save" i love you *insert overly attractive male stars name here*, but i cant be with you because I'm a witch. i love Cole, i hate Cole, i love Cole, i hate Cole

the insipid writing is only topped by the blatant exploitation of Alyssa Milano, Shannen Doherty, holly Marie combs, and rose McGowan's sexy bodies. The show was never really good, i mean, it had SOME moments, brief ones, in episodes where things seem to have been written actually well, but is just lost when the inane writing truly shows its colors.

the show, unlike buff, blatantly exposes the hot women to scenarios, and situations to use their vast sex appeal to drawn an audience. have Alyssa milano as a half naked mermaid, a half naked mummy chick, a fully naked lady Godiva, naughty nymphs anyone? the show knows what it has, and it shamelessly exploits it. Think about it, if you've ever watched Buffy, can you name one episode where the show deliberately set itself up to be a sex grabber? every time something sexual happened it was usually within the scope of the show, and important to not only the story line of the episode, but of the greater arc. NEVER can that be said for Charmed.

This show is truly a pillar for which all unambitious, poorly written shows should strive for. if you can cast VERY hot women, put them in situations mentioned before, you can be on the air for 8 years, and have an actual core fan base who collectively have the intellectual level of a turnip. Now I'm not a hypocrite, seeing as how i mentioned I've watched 7 years of it, and will watch the 8th. I'm honest to myself, i watch it because Alyssa Milano is simply a goddess to be worshiped. But those of you who actually think you're watching good television, shame on you.

allow me to take an excerpt from encyclopedia Dramatica (google it) on the show. *note, i didn't write this:

"Since all Hollywood producers are unoriginal hacks with a single brain cell among them, BTVS was ripped off by Aaron Spelling who stole Buffy's premise and plots to make the series Charmed. He claimed he actually stole the idea from a movie by the same title but no one buys that bull****. Spelling put his creative signature on the show by costuming the lead characters as trailer trash whores and, to ensure verisimilitude, by casting actual trailer trash whores in the roles.

The clone has particular appeal for young women who wish to fight the forces of evil with their supernatural powers while wearing halter tops, stiletto heels, and glitter eyeshadow. The Charmed Ones official web site has announced their budget has been cut for the next season, meaning the stars will wear no clothing at all and will substitute old copies of "Bewitched" episodes for new scripts. This is expected to increase entertainment quality and viewer ship enormously. "

Retrieved from "http://encyclopediadramatica.com/index.php/Buffy_the_Vampire_Slayer"

obviously a joking account of the show, but surprisingly spot on.

I wouldn't suggest ANYONE to watch this show, because it makes ME seem like a bumbling moron for even suggesting it.

Best Ever.

Author: icet2004 from Estonia
22 April 2009

Charmed is an American television series that originally aired from 1998 until 2006, when its network, The WB, ceased operation.The series was created in 1998 by writer Constance M. Burge and was produced by Aaron Spelling and his Spelling Television company, with the show runner being writer-director Brad Kern. The series narrative follows the four Halliwell sisters, Prue, Piper, Phoebe and, later, Paige, the culmination of the long Warren line of powerful, good witches. The sisters, despite being perceived as normal by the non-supernatural community, are known as The Charmed Ones, whose prophesied destiny is to battle against evil beings, such as demons and warlocks, in order to protect innocent lives from being endangered. Each sister possesses unique magical powers that grow and evolve, whilst they also attempt to hold normal working lives in San Francisco. Keeping their paranormal identities separate and secret from their ordinary lives forms part of the series' tension and challenges, with the exposure of magic having far-reaching consequences on relationships and has resulted in a number of police and FBI investigations throughout the series.This is my favorite show of all time.i loved it from my heart.i can't pick my favorite episode all were good. but i actually prefer these episodes where Prue was i loved her more than Paige.But Paige so damn cool too she was so perky and funny and sexier,but Prues acting was better And Of Course i loved Cole and baltazar too.Chris was interesting person. Miss this show so much.8 years a pure classic.

Charlie's Angels Meet Bewitched

Author: Brian Washington (Sargebri@att.net) from Los Angeles, California
12 August 2006

I recently started watching this show a few months ago (it is shown on the televisions at the gym where I workout). When it first came out I thought it would be more along the lines of "Bewitched" only with more of the single girl on her own slant of "Mary Tyler Moore". However, as I started looking at it, it really was more like another creation by the late Aaron Spelling, "Charlie's Angels". The show pretty much is one of your standard issue action series with a supernatural twist. However, the thing that saves it is the relationship between the three sisters. Also, to me the show seemed to pick up steam once Shannon Doherty quit and was replaced by Rose McGowan. That seemed to put more of a humorous element into the show that it seemed to lack due to her character Paige's lack of experience at being a witch. This definitely is one interesting show.

Cheesy and over rated

Author: Edward Harris (nobles-4) from United States
22 June 2006

I've been watching Charmed for a while now. At first, I thought the show was decent. Not brilliant, not the greatest show ever, and not even great. Just decent. The stories were rather well written, and the acting wasn't bad. Of course, I was also younger when I started watching, and my tastes have developed a good deal since then. In looking at the more recent seasons, and looking back at some of the worst parts of the older ones, I have come to this conclusion: Charmed is a rather bad show. The main reasons, I think, are:

1) The over abundance of campyness. Now, this was not as much of a problem in the earlier seasons. Back then, the episodes were rather grounded and serious. However, as time went on, the plots degraded more and more into campyness. Plots began centering around leprechauns and other such silly aspects of mythology. And they didn't even try to handle them in an interesting or original way. The leprechauns were simply short men with lucky gold. Story lines included characters' breasts enlarging several sizes or the characters turning into super heroes. All in all, things got increasingly silly, and not in any way that was funny.

2) The villains. They were the worst part of the series. All of the villains were one dimensional. They all had the same personalities. They never had any real motivation. They simply prattled on about how evil they were, laughed manically for a while, and then tried to kill people for no real reason besides the fact that they felt like it. They never gave a motivation for the characters. They never really explained why they were the way they were. They simply said "they're evil." Which brings me to another, related point. The villains openly admitted that they were evil. They gave that as their reasons for doing what they were doing. All they wanted to do was "spread evil." I heard such lines as "I'd never work with someone who was good." This, to me at least, seems like very simplistic writing. As Willem DaFoe said, everyone thinks they're righteous. No one does things because they're evil. Everyone has some sort of motivation. Even if they're so crazy that it only makes sense to them.

3) The mythology. The use of mythology in the show was just clichéd and boring. They made no attempts to put a new spin on the mythologies they were using. No attempt to make it into something at least somewhat original. Every mythological figure was a stereotype of the culture he or she originated from. Asian mythological figures all new martial arts and spoke with "zen" wisdom. Leprichauns, as I said earlier, were simply as every leprechaun has ever been portrayed. They never once tried to adapt the mythologies into something new or interesting.

4) Bad continuity. Things would happen, and never be referenced at all again when it was needed. One question that crossed my mind a few times was that, if witches can simply make something happen by speaking a rhyme, why don't they do it more often? Why go through all the trouble of hand to hand combat and psychic powers if you can kill people with bad poetry? On another, related note, there was an episode where they introduced "The Cleaners." Beings who rewrite reality so magic isn't exposed to humans (although I never understood why everyone was so afraid that humans would find out. I mean, it's not like we could hurt demons very effectively). And yet, there was a later episode where the Witches were exposed, and the cleaners were not mentioned once. Also, there was an early episode that said "blinking" (a form of teleportation) was a power a Warlock stole from a witch. And yet, in all later episodes, it said that blinking was a power inherent in all Warlocks.

All in all, the show kind of sucks. I think. But hey, if someone else likes it, that's their porogative.

Charmed is the story of 3 witches who save innocent people by day, and

Author: jennydexplorer from Norway
13 January 2008

I am a biggest fan of charmed!!! i will always remember the power of three especially now that i got all the episodes from season 1 to 8 on DVD... I am still hoping that there will be season 9 and........ Go Prue, Piper, Phoebe and Paige! I miss them so much

The series can make you keep your attention from the start till the end, and makes you curious about what is going to happen in the next episode. The cast is the best, besides this wonderful guy who plays Dan, Greg Vaughan, and my favourite, who plays Piper, Holly Marie Combs, the very funny and talented actress Alyssa Milano plays Phoebe and Shannen Doherty plays the powerful Prue.

The stories are always interesting, may be funny or really sad, but it always surprising, you never know what is going to come next. If you want to have some fun, start now and the only thing you'll regret is that you've lost the first episodes, like me.

Tried to be Buffy...And failed

Author: dushkufan from Perth, Australia
24 March 2005

This TV show relies on its sex appeal rather than any storyline whatsoever.

I realize that the majority of people reading this will be die-hard Charmed fans.

Wake up!

An example of the horrendous lack of originality comes when Charmed tried to rip-off Buffy's 'Normal Again'. In this episode Buffy flashes between being in a mental institution and the show that intelligent people know and love. The next week Charmed tried to do the same thing without the intelligence to leave it open ended.

Charmed: the show for the brain dead who like to look at scantily clad women.

Charmed

Author: stayner-4-361225 from United States
18 March 2011

I think you could have gone much further if you let Cole and Phoebe stay married. When Cole asked for help when the under world tried to get him at the end you could have had good conquer evil, love conquer all, and drawn Cole in the the good world so he could have helped the charmed ones. They say love conquers all and the underworld was always trying to convert the charmed ones so why couldn't they have converted Cole to their side?

Thanks

I loved Charmed. Good job I loved all the cast. 10 for all of them Too bad it wouldn't come back on with new episodes

Charmed isn´t THAT charmed anymore!

Author: Josabeli from Sweden
24 February 2003

I´ve followed this serie from the beginning, it was an unusual idea and the script was fascinating.

It is a shame though that Shannen Doherty (Prue) quit, I think that Shannen, Alyssa and Holly Marie matched each other very well, it was realistic that they played sisters. They were believable.

Now I think the serie is all about the couples, they do not focus on the individuals so much, the make-up and the clothes they wear is more important than a well written episode. Who hasn´t seen Alyssa Milanos pouty red lips and naked belly more than one time??

The best show ever?

Author: mrtckane from here and there
28 October 2014

Did we watch the same thing?

I found it awful. The last time i seen a show as bad as this it was Poltergeist: The Legacy.

It's like the depressing love child of Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Sabrina The Teenage Witch; the former could be forgiven because it was mitigated by the more than reasonable skills of Joss Whedon and the latter acquits itself by being a kids show and was intended to be cheesy and over the top.

The only aspect that stops me wanting to 'Winston Smith' this thing out of history is Rose McGowan.

As a Dragon might say; I'm out.

(C)harmless

Author: Rick Blaine from London
31 July 2002

Innocuous hour-long waste-of-time TV series with deliberately elevated babe factor. Dialog is ok, acting too, but plotting is extremely weak, with special effects on the same level, and all fails if you don't buy the main premise - and why should you? It's easy to get bored with this one and start surfing for something more captivating - despite the obvious talent of the three main leads.

Page 2 of 36:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]