IMDb > "Charmed" (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Charmed"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Charmed" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 36:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

The Power of Three

Author: bigben-3 from Los Angeles, CA
24 September 2002

Okay, I just watched one episode a few week ago, and that was it for me. I AM HOOKED! I admit that this show is very addicting! Now, my Sunday's night are booked.

Performances of such talented actors truly ignites the screen. Piper, Phoebe, Paige, Leo, and Cole are such great, and very talented performers. I hope this show will run for a very, very long time. I will truly recommend this show to all my friends. Thumbs up to the creator, writers and all the crew. This show rocks!!!!

GREATEST SHOW EVER

Author: fishinbuddy2 from United States
24 November 2004

I love this show! Where else can you get drama, comedy, and action all rolled into one? Watching the characters since 1998 has been fascinating! Watching Cole and Phoebe had me spellbound and longing for them to again re-unite. No it does not matter that he's a demon, he loves Phoebe and they need to be together. Julian played Cole brilliantly you never knew what he was up to and it seemed so real. Does he want to kill her or kiss her. You could actually see the expressions in his face change as his demon side would suddenly go soft when Phoebe said something sweet to him.

I liked the stories better from when Prue was on the show because the stories were just better, clearer, and were fresh. I do like Paige who took over for Prue and she is the comedy for this show. I just wish the story lines were as good as they use to be. Now it has gotten a little dark.

Even the inconsistencies that they have are fun to spot. For instance: remember when Phoebe, Prue and Piper all go back in time to where their mom is working at a restaurant and the year is 1978. Phoebe mentions that and also mentions that her mom is pregnant with her. We learn in other episodes that Prue is only 5 years older than Phoebe and 2 years older than Piper. This is all blown apart tho when Piper turns into a Windigo and at the end of the show Piper ends up at Prue's headstone and we see Prue was born in 1970 that would put her 8 years older than Phoebe instead of the 5 they said earlier.

Also that 60's show where they go back in time and see Grams. The year was 1967 or 1968 and grams looks 25 years old and is a hippie. How can a 25 year old woman have a daughter who will in 2 years be old enough to give birth to Prue? (1970) They didn't do too good on the math for that one.

I thought it was neat how they play Phoebe as the youngest when actually in real life she is the oldest and Piper is the youngest. Piper also seems to be the only one that hasn't aged since the show started. I wonder how in the reunion show they will explain that Leo has aged since after all he isn't suppose to age since he's a whitelighter. He's actually 4 years older than Piper but doesn't look it. Whew the man is fine!!

I don't know when it will end and hope it never does; but the last episode should have Cole and Phoebe back together and riding off into the sunset on a fireball. We also need to see Piper and Leo back together for good before I lose my mind. Poor Paige also needs to find love, she's a hoot. I didn't think I was going to like her but I do! Greatest show ever and I'm not in their target audience age group, I'm 33!

An entertaining show that's really good.

Author: Jess from Australia
24 July 2002

"Charmed" is pretty much your average show about witches, but if you're thinking "Sabrina", you're wrong. Here's a show about three young women that are also witches - the Charmed Ones. They are also sisters. It's all about Piper (Holly Marie Combs), Phoebe (Alyssa Milano) and their long-lost half-sister, Paige (Rose McGowan). The eldest sister is actually Prue (Shannen Doherty) but she was killed of at the end of the third series. So they brought in Paige. Sure, there have been heaps of complaints about Prue being gone and Paige being brought in, but some people actually think Paige is better.

I don't have an opinion on the characters and who's my favourite, but I really like the TV series. If you like "Charmed", then you'll probably also like "Buffy" and "Angel", and perhaps "Sabrina" but that's completely different.

Overall, I reckon "Charmed" is a really good show and recommend people to watch it if you're in that sort of thing - witches, magic and spirits.

"Buffy" Lite, but Full of Charm!

Author: Ben Burgraff (cariart) from Las Vegas, Nevada
8 February 2004

I couldn't say whether or not "Charmed" offered an accurate representation of witchcraft, but let me give credit where credit is due; it was consistently entertaining over much of it's eight-season run!

When it debuted in 1998, "Charmed" was heralded primarily as the return of Shannen Doherty, the temperamental star of Aaron Spelling's "Beverly Hills 90210", marking the renewed harmony between the successful producer and outspoken actress. As the eldest of the "Power of Three" Halliwell sisters, Doherty joined breakout "Picket Fences" star Holly Marie Combs (her real-life best friend), and "Dawson's Creek" alum, Lori Rom, as novice witches discovering an inherited mystic heritage. Unfortunately, after filming the pilot, Rom left for "personal reasons", replaced by "Who's the Boss?" star Alyssa Milano (a former child actress who had become nearly as notorious as Doherty, as an adult, due to an avalanche of nude photo 'captures' from her sexy film roles, flooding the Internet). The pilot was re-filmed with Milano, becoming the series' debut episode.

During the first two seasons, as much time was spent exploring the sisters' personalities as in their magical powers, as audiences embraced Prue, Piper, and Phoebe. With only a handwritten 'Book of Shadows' to guide them, confrontations with some truly frightening demons could be both spectacular and suspenseful. A wonderful supporting cast was introduced, including Jennifer Rhodes, as the very 'hip' spirit of their grandmother, James Read, as their mortal, estranged father, Finola Hughes, as the ghost of their mother, and Dorian Gregory, as their loyal, if nervous, police 'contact'. For many fans, these seasons offered the series' best episodes.

However, by Season Three, rifts had developed between Doherty, producer Brad Kern, and Milano, fueled, in part, by Milano's more interesting plot line, and greater rapport with cast, crew, and press. Piper and the Charmed Ones' angelic 'White Liter' protector, Leo Wyatt (Brian Krause) fell into an expressly forbidden love, and Phoebe embarked on a tempestuous and even more dangerous affair with half-demon Cole Turner (Julian McMahon), in a storyline that brought in huge ratings, but cost the participation of series creator, Constance Burge, who disliked a second male-oriented plot line, and departed. Doherty would leave the series at the end of the season, as Prue died, protecting an innocent.

Prue's death resulted in some of the series' best moments, as the two surviving sisters dealt with their loss, and the apparent 'end' of the "Power of Three". Then a previously unknown 'half sister', Paige (portrayed by another notorious media celebrity, Rose McGowan), arrived on the scene, the offspring of an earlier 'White Liter'/Witch union, involving their mother. Spontaneous, awkward, yet sweet-natured, Paige was embraced quickly by Phoebe, more slowly by Piper, and learned her magical skills.

The series spun off in new directions, some successful, some silly, over the next three seasons, incorporating myths, fairy tales, and legends from a variety of cultures. In the central story lines, Phoebe's affair with Cole, culminating in a demonic 'wedding', eventually ended when Cole, again corrupted by evil, was vanquished by Phoebe in an alternate future he had created; Piper and Leo, after a convoluted courtship, married, receiving a grudging 'blessing' from the Elders (Earth's magical 'protectors', and Leo's 'bosses'), and they had a son, Wyatt, who would be destined to become the most powerful witch, ever.

In Season Six, a new 'White Liter' from the future, Chris (Drew Fuller), was introduced, and it would be revealed that he was actually Leo and Piper's SECOND son (a plot device that took into account Combs' real-life pregnancy), on a suicide mission to prevent Wyatt from turning evil. In the poignant 'finale' episode, the adult Chris 'dies', just as he is being 'born'.

In Season Seven, Leo was promoted to the Elders, but was wooed away from them by a seemingly omnipotent race, the Avatars; he ultimately aided the Charmed Ones to defeat them, was demoted into becoming mortal and powerless, but 'allowed' to live in 'peace' with Piper; Phoebe had a brief, bittersweet affair with a charming 'reformed' demon (Billy Zane), sent by the spirit of long-gone Cole Turner (McMahon, in a surprise appearance), now serving penitence time in Limbo; and Paige mourned the loss of her first 'real' love, FBI agent Kyle Brody (Kerr Smith)...but a VERY public confrontation with Homeland Security, during an epic battle with demon Zankou (Oded Fehr), in the Season Seven finale, forced the sisters to stage their own 'deaths', and assume new appearances and identities.

Suffering declining ratings, "Charmed" was very nearly canceled in Season Seven, but was given a reprieve, offering loyal fans hope for a more satisfying finale to the series. Sadly, much of Season Eight was largely disappointing. Budgetary constraints forced Leo to 'disappear' for most of the season; an annoying novice witch, Billie Jenkins (Kaley Cuoco) became a 'regular'; and loose ends were tied up far too quickly and cheaply. Billie's rescue of her long-lost sister, in the Underworld, was referred to but NEVER filmed(!); Paige met, dated, and quickly married a parole officer (Ivan Sergei); and Phoebe, in an increasingly annoying "Love Quest" subplot, finally found her soul mate in a 'new' Cupid (Victor Webster).

Fortunately, everything 'jelled' in the final two episodes; Billie and her long-lost sister, Christy (Marne Patterson), who had been secretly trained by the revived evil Triad, aligned against the Sisters, resulting in the season's MAJOR confrontation, destroying nearly everything, and forcing Piper (and the returned Leo) to journey into the past and future, in the finale, to straighten things out, and provide the series a happy ending.

Despite the marked decline in quality over the last few seasons, "Charmed" will be fondly remembered for it's exceptional cast, often exciting story lines, and 'magic' it possessed, at it's peak. Setting the record as the longest-running female-lead dramatic series, it's place in television history is secure!

Glad the series is out on DVD...finally.

Author: ladyhawke9973 from United States
16 February 2005

Very pleased to see Season One out on DVD, we've been waiting awhile for it. The quality of the shows on the DVDs is fantastic...however there are no "bonus materials" whatsoever. As I don't usually buy a DVD for the extras, I'm not that concerned over it...however I am accustomed to them being there typically.

Also, be aware the packaging is on the unusual side...thinline cases, one per disk (6-disk set for Season One), rather than the usual bulky foldout packs. I actually enjoyed this factor...I'm always struggling with the foldout packs.

If you like the show, you'll be pleased with the DVD quality...but keep in mind with the box set currently released, that's all you're getting...just the show.

Imaginative and Engaging

Author: AP-Project from CT
26 August 2002

This is a wonderful TV show with great episodes that, in serial fashion, depict a constant battle between good and evil. Evil, as in the Source, is very clever and wears many disguises. This is what's great about this show. Evil is never fully defeated, although the lackeys are destroyed quickly, the greater evil persists. This presents a constant challenge to the Power of Three and they must always be on their guard. Other WB shows allow the hero or heroine to win very easily and the hero or heroine is too sarcastic. Charmed, however, has the right mix of all elements and the writers appreciate that evil forces that are truly dangerous and formidable create a more rich, tense atmosphere. The fourth season was very good, and I liked Rose as Paige very much. The chemistry between the sisters also carries the show and their personalities seem real and three-dimensional, while other shows of this genre fail in that regard. This is one of the best written shows on television. It really deserves more critical recognition and respect, but if that doesn't happen, I'll still enjoy it.

One to take your mind off things

Author: Dragonfly163 from Leeds, England
15 August 2004

Charmed is the story of 3 witches who save innocent people by day, and hang out in their nightclub by night. The 3 witches were first Prue, Piper and Phoebe, until Prue's untimely death, to which the remaining sisters found out that they had a long-lost half-sister called Paige. The sisters united, and reconstituted 'the Charmed Ones'

Charmed follows the ups and downs of being sisters, a woman and of-course witches. At times the show is touching, at others corny. This show shouldn't be taken too seriously, and is just an enjoyable, light piece of fun. Although it isn't without faults, it should be acknowledged on its own merits, and not just cast-off as a Buffy wannabe.

The Power Of Three Will Set You Free

Author: valens-69 from New York
17 December 2002

Three sisters Prue(Shannen Doherty) Piper(Holly Marie Combs) and Phoebe(Alyssa Milano)discover that they're descendant of a line of female witches.

Each sister has a power Prue can move objects with the wave of a hand, Piper can freeze time and Phoebe can see the future.

With their powers they fight all kinds of evil from demons too warlocks and a bunch of other Evil

The three sisters are the Charmed Ones, the most power-full witches there are.

During the course of season 1 Leo(Brian Krause) does a few episodes he is a Whitelighter he is a guardian angel of sorts and watches over the charmed ones.

Leo is also a love interest for Piper.

Leo has the power too heal and orb.

Season 1 was solid, at times Season 1 could get a bit boring but for the most part every episode was well done.

Season 2 was by far the best season of Charmed.

The evil the sisters were fighting were the same as season 1 but a few twists in their.

In one episode when the sisters were in the future we learn that Piper and Leo were once married and have a child. When they get back from the future Piper breaks things off with Leo.

This sets up a love triangle between Piper,Leo and Dan(Greg Vaughan) which was one of the reasons Season 2 was so well done.

In the end Piper ends up with Leo, and Dan is written off the show.

Now in Season 3 the story-lines were now getting a bit clinched and predictable.

Despite the addition of Cole(Julian Mcmahon)

Cole is half demon half human out to destroy the Charmed Ones.

But he falls in-love with Phoebe. And ends up joining forces with the sisters.

Season 3 was hit or miss and for the most part a miss.

Piper, Cole and Leo were the best that season, Phoebe and Prue were still good but not as interesting

But all the characters were getting stale not counting Cole since he was new to the show, despite coming into new powers for instance Piper could now freeze and blow-up stuff but it was still stale.

At seasons end Prue was killed off.

Then comes season 4 we now learn of a half sister named Paige(Rose Mcgowan) who can complete the Power of Three.

Granted it was a bit over the top. But the Producers needed to do something for the fact the show is built on the Power of Three.

The first two episodes of Season 4 were great, after that it slowed down a bit.

But then took off and became a very solid Season.

The addition of Rose Mcgowan was great, i am a big fan of hers, and she is the reason i got my interest back in the show.

Paige is half whitelighter and half Witch, so she has the powers of both, she can orb objects too herself and can heal.

Also with the addition of Rose Mcgowan it gave the show a new fresh start there for making Phoebe and Piper fun again.

Season 4 was the darkest, it dealt alot with the underworld but still had some great comedy.

The Cole/Phoebe plot got even more interesting.

Season 2 was the best followed closely by Season 4.

Piper was my fav up until Paige came along now Paige is my fav with Piper right behind her as well as Cole.

Rose Mcgowan stole the show in season 4 with the stand-out performance.

And since Season 1 Inspector Darry Morris(Dorian Gregory) does a few episodes a season.

He is the only person that knows their secret and often looks out for The Charmed Ones.

I give Charmed 8/10

Huge Charmed Fan

Author: nmorris1227 from United States
22 May 2006

I don't get attached to TV shows, nor collect them on DVD..... except for Charmed. The supernatural aspects of the show are fun and do not seem to be taken too seriously.

The core group of actors have a fantastic chemistry and the relationships are so well developed. I like it just as much, if not more, to see how the sisters get through situations together, both magical and non-magical.

I would dare compare the character development and interpersonal relationships as well done as in a Jane Austin novel. You see their strengths and faults.

All the actors get a round of applause. Both Holly Marie and Alyssa get a standing ovation for becoming producers of the show. Well done ladies.

Excellent

Author: (patygirl_df@hotmail.com) from Brasilia, Brasil
24 February 2000

My sister start to watch Charmed before me.

The series can make you keep your attention from the start till the end, and makes you curious about what is going to happen in the next episode. The cast is the best, besides this wonderful guy who plays Dan, Greg Vaughan, and my favourite, who plays Piper, Holly Marie Combs, the very funny and talented actress Alyssa Milano plays Phoebe and Shannen Doherty plays the powerful Prue.

The stories are always interesting, may be funny or really sad, but it always surprising, you never know what is going to come next. If you want to have some fun, start now and the only thing you'll regret is that you've lost the first episodes, like me.

Page 1 of 36:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]