IMDb > Silver Wolf (1999) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Silver Wolf (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Pretty good

Author: crewcut6 from Allentown, PA
29 August 1999

"Silver Wolf" is a heart-warming flick in the style of "Old Yeller", except the animal star of the film doesn't get shot in the end! Michael Biehn from "The Terminator" stars as a nature-wise ranger who has to raise his 16-year-old nephew (Shane Meier, "Sons of Thunder", "Needful Things") who just lost his father after a snowboarding accident. Together, they rescue a timberwolf and several bites and scratches later, the wolf gets accustomed to the kid and his uncle, while a gun-crazy rancher (Roy Schieder) wants the wolf's hide.

This film has nicely correographed snowboarding skills and good camera techniques. It's one of the very few films shown on the Fox Family Channel that I happened to enjoy!

a movie with great intentions

Author: Dan Grant (dan.grant@bell.ca) from Toronto, Ontario
27 December 1999

I love films like this. Films that try to put a positive spin on animals and many of the misconceptions that humans have towards them. Silver Wolf is a film that has it's heart in the right place. It is a good film with two film giants from days past. It is also a film that has a conscience and for that I really like it.

First I want to comment on the casting of the film. You have to like a film that has Reese and Martin Brody in a film together. Michael Biehn and Roy Scheider play the two lead adults in the film and it is fun to see two guys that were in two of the biggest film franchises ever, square off. I can't help it, every time I see Scheider I expect him to say " You're going to need a bigger boat. " But in here he plays a nasty man that seems to hunt wolves just because he can. He really is a bad man just for the sake of the movie needing a bad man. I didn't really understand his reasons for hating wolves in the first place but it's okay here because there is so much to like about the film that small things like that are easily overlooked.

The other two leads in the film are Jesse Meier as the young nephew of Biehn and Kimberly Warnat as Scheider's daughter. They are both quite good in their roles and I have to say that Warnat is quite the looker. Her beauty was one of the reasons that kept me watching the film when it was on viewers choice. After looking at her filmography in the IMDb you can see that she hasn't done a lot as of yet but I think she will become a star one day. She is a very good actress and she will continue to grow physically as well. Sorry if that sounds incredibly sexist, but hey, sue me, I'm a guy.

Silver Wolf has some incredible photography and it's choreographed snowboarding scenes are breathtaking and quick paced. But what I enjoyed most about the film was the relationship with Meier and the young wolf. The wolf takes to him after a while and they develop an honest friendship. When it is time for the wolf to go home to his family you are almost sad to see him go. But then to see a wild animal that was captive become free, well that makes the movie so much better. Silver Wolf has great intentions and it is entertaining. I think kids will like this movie but if you are a sucker for animals as beautiful as this, then you ( adults that is ) will probably enjoy it as well.

And remember, watch for the name Kimberly Warnat in the future, she will go on to do bigger films, I'm almost sure of it.

Awesome snowboarding footage filmed in Whistler/Blackcomb, BC

Author: zeke-5 from Toronto, Ontario
5 May 1999

This heart warming story of a boy who recently lost his father and is displaced into a small close knit mountain community, brings a good story of coming of age tied nicely together with outstanding snowboarding and skijoaring footage right from the scenic mountains at Whistler/Blackcomb, British Columbia. Jesse not only has to deal with the death of his father, but moving in with his park ranger uncle and dealing with a new peer group that sees him as an urban wonder. Jesse befriends not only his nemesis' daughter but a wild but devoted wolf he promptly names 'Silver'. The movie concludes with a skijoaring race in which Jesse enters himself with a snowboard as opposed to skis, and a wild wolf instead of the family pet dog. This well acted and beautifully filmed picture is perfect for the whole family, and any one who is an admirer of the mountains, wolves, and of course, snowboarding.

What scares you the most is what makes you stronger

Author: sol1218 from brooklyn NY
6 November 2005

(Some Spoilers) Updated version of the Jack London classic "White Fang" the movie "Silver Wolf" is one of the most beautifully photographed outdoors movie that you'll ever see.

Sarting off with the star of the film, the gray wolf Silver, getting shot by rancher John Rockwell, Roy Scheider, and his teenage son Clay, Jade Pawluk. The wounded and bleeding animal is later found in the woods barley alive by Roy McLanan and his 16 year-old nephew Jesse, Micheal Biehn & Shane Meier.

Wanting to shoot the wounded animal to put it out of it's misery young Jesse talks Roy, a park ranger, from doing it by wanting to adopt the wolf as his pet. Hasitent at first Roy agrees to take the wolf, who because of it's white fur coat is named Silver, back to the cabin. After some hair raising experiences, where Silver almost bit off a couple of Jesse's fingers, the wolf bonds with Jesse and becomes like a domesticated dog the boys best friend.

Jesse had being going through a very depressing time as of late when his dad Frank McLean, Shaun Johnston, fell off a snowy cliff, saving his life with Jesse holding himself responsible for his fathers death ever since. It was Silver who was to fill the void that the loss of his father left in his life and bring him out of that depression. But at the same time it was the fact that Silver is a wolf that was to cause Jesse, and his uncle Roy, big trouble for the rest of the movie.

With John Rockwell, who was the one who first shot Silver, the president of the local cattlemen association every thing was done by him and his fellow gauchos to put the wolf down. Even after he was domesticated by Jesse & Roy and was also allowed to enter the annual cross-country skijoaring contest, with Jesse. Which Silver won despite being tormented by John's son Clay who the wolf, incited by Clay sticking a wooden whip in it's face, later attacked.

Jesse had become very friendly with John Rockwell's pretty teenage daughter Lucy, Kimberley Warnat,and to her father's shock and despair she also became very friendly and accepted by Silver. In the end Roy realized that the only way that Sliver could be kept from being shot by the outraged John, who's son he almost scared to death by tearing into,but not injuring, is to send the wolf away to a local zoo.

Jesse feeling that a life in captivity would be as good as a death sentence for his beloved Silver get together one early morning with Lucy and takes Silver in Roy's van into the deep woods around the majestic Cypress Mountain. It's there that lets him loose, with both John and his son Clay trying to gun down Silver, to reunite with the wolf pack that he was separated from when John shot him in the beginning of the movie.

Moving and exciting little film about a world that most of us well never see outside the movie house TV and books and magazines and the people and animals who are part of it. Both Shane Meier and Kimberley Warnat are wonderful as the two young people from two totally different backgrounds who are brought together by a common bond, and friend; Silver.

A great movie full of action and of course skijoring.

Author: Julie Stauffer (jbstauffer@hotmail.com) from Michigan
18 April 1999

Well, this is an AWEsome movie.Bein plays a pretty good part as the uncle and "Jesse" was pretty good too.Ecspecially at the snowboarding(if that was really him).But my absolute fav character of the whole entire show was the guy in the crowd at the end of the race scene.He's wearing a blue jacket and grey pants.He is over to the right and four people back.NO No no I was just joking.My fav character was, of course "SILVER".He was totally FANTASTIC.But that also may account because of my love for wolves and dogs.Especially WOLVES.

Adult version of AIR BUD and the IRON GIANT

Author: mbg411 from United States
22 February 2009

Here is the lowdown. A boy loses his father, and he goes to live with his uncle in a national park. Then he meets a wolf named "Silver". Unfortunately, he has to protect the wolf from a dangerous hunter.

Yeah, we've seen this before. In two embarrassing little kids movies, no less. Still, Shane Meier is such a great actor. He plays the main character so well. He also has great chemistry with Silver. I wish he was doing more projects, but apparently he's selling jeans in Vancouver. The other actors are really good as well.

Not a bad concept, and the acting makes the movie better than you'd expect.

Well done!

Author: Jack withrow from Ontario, Canada
2 August 1999

This was a well made movie with lots of realistic thrilling moments, good acting from Michael Biehn and Roy Schnieder, and the snowboarding scenes were amazing. The plot was original and classic at the same time. (You'd have to see it to fully understand). Of course I can't possibly leave out the wolf who was "Silver" in the film. "Silver" was the most dignified looking creature I've ever seen and it was fun watching it. Great flick!

Better with the sound-off

Author: Holly (aromatic@ivillage.com) from New York, NY
29 February 2000

Beautiful cinematography, snowboarding, and nature shots are totally compromised by inane dialogue, unbridled hamhanded acting, and stupid plot developments. People who want to truly enjoy the Canadian wolves' place in nature as well as those who simply want to watch a good movie should rent Never Cry Wolf instead.

One-dimensional garbage

Author: alli_katz from Bronxville, NY
6 June 2001

Roy Scheider gives the WORST performance of his career in this utterly stupid excuse for a nature flick. It doesn't help that the young man in the lead is completely inept as an actor. There really is no script other than good versus evil. There is some strikingly magnificent photography of the Canadian Rockies. That's about it for the plus column.