IMDb > The Setting Son (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Setting Son More at IMDbPro »

Will Schaub should sue for lack of support

Author: boxerboy-1 from Moscow, Russia
11 November 2004

Amid otherwise mediocre performances, Schaub was a bright spot. Dave Oliver was also strong. Too bad we didn't see more of him in this film, but I would check anything else either of these two actors appeared in.

The story had some promise, and while it wasn't terrible, to me it came across flat. Cal (Will Schaub), after just winning a place on the U.S. Olympic sailing team, finds out that his brother's battle with leukemia has taken a turn for the worse. Promising he will return in time, Cal leaves for home where he has to be tested to see if he is a potential bone marrow donor.

The film gets a little sappy from here on and it's only a solid performance by Schaub, along with a well shot backdrop provided by sailing sequences that keeps this interesting. Brion James has a good cameo role, adding his usual spark, but I hope everyone else invested their earnings in acting lessons... especially Cal's mom.

If it's a rainy Saturday afternoon and your dentist just called to cancel your appointment, you might use the time to check this out. Just accept it as an OK film, with no bigger expectations than that.