IMDb > "Will & Grace" (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Will & Grace"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Will & Grace" More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 21: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Rarely falls flat; a great sitcom overall

Author: gregoryjames
30 April 2004

Let it be said first of all that I LOVE Will and Grace. To appreciate my comments fully, I feel it's necessary that you know a bit about me. I'm a gay 20 year old student at Oxford University, England, and as well as Will and Grace, I adore Frasier, Buffy and Angel.

I wasn't wild about the show at first. Throughout the first season six years ago, I sometimes felt it was too much about homosexuality and that some of the jokes fell flat. Sure, it was funny, but no funnier than Friends, which was my favourite sitcom at the time. I now realize that this is because it was difficult watching such depictions of gay people when I was coming to terms with my own sexuality.

But Will and Grace is SO gay, and I accept that now. It epitomizes homosexuality not only in its paradox of judgmental stereotyping (of EVERYONE) and liberal-minded attitudes, but also in its occasional warmth, poignancy and contrasting harshness.

It isn't the perfect sitcom. Many episodes (6x22 'Speechless' is appropriate to mention here) fall flat and lack the sparkle one expects from a sitcom. But when an episode contains a perfect balance of humour, depth, character development and (although not necessary) celebrity guest stars, it is perfect (case in point: 4x16 'A Chorus Lie').

What makes Will and Grace consistently better than Friends is its refusal to employ schmaltz to make an audience (particularly an American one, raised on a diet of sentimentality) feel more comfortable. Obviously, anyone would *detest* Karen, and possibly Jack, in real life. In this way, the show conforms quite neatly to the traditional British custom of creating characters that one loves to hate: whiny, petty, prejudiced, insecure creatures who are all the more endearing because they are true to life (see: 'One Foot in the Grave', or indeed most British sitcoms).

At the same time, paradoxically, the characters are so completely monstrous - Karen being the clear example - that they seem unrealistic. In fact, although they are ostensibly awful, they are merely gross exaggerations of every human being, replete with the same fears, prejudices and pettiness of which we all are guilty and which are brought to the fore in comedic form. In this way, the show continues the great theatrical tradition of the grotesque: characters who seem unbelievable but are simply magnifications of human flaws.

Of course, this is not to say that Will and Grace does not include the occasional sentimental or poignant scene. For the sitcom to work, there must be moments, however fleeting, of self-doubt or self-realization: thus Jack (mild spoilers ahead) *must* realize that he is a terrible actor and Will *has* to realize that he is causing his own loneliness (end of spoilers). These rare occasions of insecurity are all the more moving, just as the petty moments are funny, because they are that much more realistic.

The show - like any artistic creation, whether filmic, literary or aesthetic - has its faults. A feeling that the series' arcs were stagnant and stationary (the inevitable fate of all sitcoms) and that the humour relied too much upon the same themes resulted in an over-reliance on celebrity guest stars and hackneyed, traditional storylines (spoilers: babies and marriage). This paradoxically resulted in yet more lack of character development, as they found themselves trapped in dead-end storylines that had run out of potential. Recently, with the inclusion of recurring guest stars such as John Cleese, whose portrayal of Lyle Finster has sparked a sitcom brilliance unseen since Basil Fawlty, the show has recovered renewed vitality that should theoretically see, if NBC has nothing to do with it, a prolonged run of at least two more seasons.

Kudos must certainly go to the actors. Eric McCormack, a Canadian actor with all the range that classical training provides, is a delight as long-suffering Will, whose straight-acting personality is coupled with an occasional queer-sensibility that renders the character all the more charming. Grace, the faux-businesswoman whose lazy and disgusting habits have been accentuated in recent seasons, is played to perfection by Debra Messing, a sublime blend of Old Hollywood glamour, innate comic timing and real-world vulnerability. Sean Hayes and Megan Mullally, whose comical symbiosis forces me to mention them as though one entity, are the epitome of overacted (but not, if you understand, overoveracted) and larger-than-life humour. As is usually the case, it is these supporting actors who have taken centre-stage, rendering every moment of shared screen-time a delicious, unrivalled pleasure.

In short, Will and Grace is the quintessential situation comedy because it acts as a sort of funhouse mirror, almost poetic in its way, depicting that which is real, but within a presentational format that goes beyond realistic, and still contains inherent flaws in both plot and character. It is this imperfection, so prevalent in real life, which renders it that much more enjoyable.

Not My Cup Of Tea

Author: DKosty123 from United States
5 August 2007

I know this series ran a long time. It is very popular with a lot of people. I am not one of them.

To me, while the cast has talent, the episodes I have viewed have terrible scripts. The scripts too often go after the cheap humor involving sexuality but do not develop any sophisticated humor. Intelligence is not used in the shows I have seen.

I grant you that there is an irritating female character in this that reminds me very much of one of the Designing Women in that series years ago. Too often she is so irritating I can't watch these shows.

I don't think this series will be remembered in the long haul. The show does not have the quality of the better series & the jokes are very often much too crude. I am not the only person who feels this way, as the reruns of this show are not happening.

I watched a few shows of this & found only 1 amusing sequence. Most of the humor in is is cruel, not funny. Am glad this series ended, & glad it is not being rerun in my area.

Will and Grace are back and still funnier after many years

Author: abalpn-99472
28 September 2017

I've watched it tonight and I enjoyed it. Will and Grace are back. Debra Messing is still funny and beautiful. Megan Mullally is also hilarious and I like her voice. Eric McCormack and Sean Hayes are still hilarious. I also have respect for the LGBTQ community because Eric and Sean's character are gay. I saw a clip online that the show and cast have respect for the gay rights. They have their rights ever since the same-sex marriage has been legalized nationwide so I applaud for the community and also the show.

I hope that there will be new celebrity cameos. I don't know but we'll see. It's like the four had never left. The cast are still the same and have a lot of chemistry.

Good comedy

Author: stamper from The Netherlands
9 June 2001

This is really one of the best shows that is on the TV right now. The cast is incredible, the jokes are really great and al the characters are in one way or another adorable, whether it is the always boozed up Karen, the oh soooo queer Jack, the career man Will or the no luck in love Grace. The latter one actually works for Will sometimes too. OK I must admit that sometimes Jack and Karen get really weird and kind of stupid, but hey it is comedy and people do crazy things sometimes. One to watch.

8 out of 10

The best sitcom there ever was, and ever will be

Author: drwordsmith from Liverpool, England
29 April 2007

To many people, Will&Grace is 'Friends, but with gay people'. People who think like this clearly have never watched the show, as they would realise how it completely surpasses friends in every way, and is by far my favourite sitcom on TV, nothing else even comes close (bar Less than Perfect, which finished far before its time). Like all shows out there, it has had its good and bad seasons, but fortunately it had a longer run of good seasons than most. The period from series 3-6 was spectacular, with 4 & 5 being without a single bad episode between them. The series dropped off a bit by 7, but could still produce storming episodes, and took until about series 3 to find its stride, but that doesn't mean that these should be ignored. The jokes in Will&Grace make me laugh more than anything else, and although I like other American sitcoms such as scrubs, friends, less than perfect, 8 simple rules etc, I can safely say that none have made me laugh even half as much as Will&Grace. It is a smart, classy sitcom that is beautifully written, with well-defined characters, even if they get a little annoying (Jack) and with a great supporting cast and guest appearances (Rosario, Val, Beverly, Smitty). I was so sad when this program ended but since they are all out on DVD (unlike Less than Perfect sadly) I know I will be watching this 20 years into the future. Phenomenal.

Shoot me!

Author: VidSteh from Slovenia
22 October 2007

Will and Grace is probably one of the most annoying American sitcoms of all time. It makes me wonder who is actually watching this stuff and trying to convince us, that W & G is a "good and fun TV show". Not only that this show is not funny and original, but also very insulting for the gay community. I notice that a lot of sitcoms in nowadays are making fun of homosexuals but on the other hand they're trying to say, that homosexuals should not be "menace to society".

Will and Grace is about four losers, the most annoying characters I've ever seen. Of course, the main character is gay. The second main character is Jewish. So... the whole show is just about making fun of Jewish and gays. The third main character is also gay and neurotic freak. The fourth main character is a annoying woman, who drinks a lot a speak with "funny" voice. That's it. The whole show is about sex, drinking and showing how gay people are weird and "out of this world".

The acting is really poor and the episodes are full of predictable twists and almost every "joke" is referring to sex and gays. Why there is no sitcom, which would make some original jokes, not only making fun of sex and homosexual community????

I hope this show will be canceled someday... I pray for it every day.

My favorite show!

Author: Chris Smith
7 May 2006

This has been my favorite show since it first came out in 1998. I've never missed an episode since. I even bought the box sets of seasons 1-6 (I'm waiting for the other 2 to come out).

The acting here is really great. The cast is awesome. Even the smaller roles like Vince, Lorraine, Lyle, Elliot and Harlin do a great job.

The only thing that I don't think is that original is Karen's drinking and drug-doing character. I remember the same character of Nina in "Just Shoot Me". That was a year before Will & Grace started. It could be that they had thought about it before "Just Shoot Me", or it's just me.

The jokes are all very funny and unique. I find Will and Grace (the characters, not the show) the funniest, cause Jack's movements are a bit too much, and so is Karen's annoying voice.

What can I say? This show is hilarious. It's the best show you'll find on TV right now. My favorite seasons are 1-3(obviously) and 5. The 4th and 6th seasons needed a bit more humor in them. These last two seasons aren't so good. It's losing it now. I think it's a good idea that the 8th is the last season.

Can't stand it.

Author: missnUK from United Kingdom
9 November 2006

I am a fan of most U.S sitcoms and always give them a chance but this one I just cannot grasp. The four main characters are ridiculously unbelievable. This group of 'friends' (if you can call them that) just would not exist in real life. There is no 'normal' character in the show, no-one to really relate to on a personal level and certainly none you would want to be friends with. The 'comedy' of the characters lives is not amusing in the slightest.. it is stupidity. Almost every scene is overacted. I have tried to enjoy this show but I honestly cannot bring myself to watch one more episode of vanity, sarcasm, stupidity with some thrown in alcoholism just for fun.

Snowflakes

Author: pensacolacomputer from United States
6 October 2017

To the few who left bad reviews saying the show was too political and that you turned it off in 10 minutes, one word for you... HA! ... You obviously are not Will & Grace fans to begin with, that was ONE episode, get over it, they were trying to make light of what is going on in the White House...the next episode had nothing to do with the election..You probably think all the episodes have politics in them which shows YOU NEVER WATCHED THE SHOW TO BEGIN WITH so don't pretend you are going to start now...I think the term that the Republicans made up to make fun of Democrats was Snowflakes...So quit acting like one! To everyone else out there, please continue to support this show. It is the only one like it on television and has been extremely successful for a reason...its VERY FUNNY...So thank you to the cast, crew, producers...everyone involved..Keep up the great work! Peace

Mediocre but somewhat offensive

Author: Geoffrey from Belgium
5 October 2014

A couple of weeks ago I bought the entire DVD-box of Will & Grace, all 8 seasons, not really knowing this comedy. The theme just seemed interesting. First of all I want to say that this show has some positive sides, like Karen Walker, who is hilarious at times and her bizarre relationship with Rosario. The main characters Will and Grace are funny at times. I also liked several minor characters like Rosario and Ellen. Jack has a couple of funny moments, but is just annoying most of the time. On the other hand, as a gay man, I find this show pretty offensive. I know it is supposed to be a comedy, but what bothers me most is that Grace kisses her boyfriends all the time, Karen and Jack (?!) kiss all the time, even will and grace kiss many times passionately, but now I am watching season 5 and not even once have I seen Will kiss another man. Maybe this once with Jack and another time with some boyfriend, but this was very brief and more the way you would kiss a good friend. Just this one example makes this show rather homophobic. Some other things bother me as well, like the absence of any masculine gay man. All characters like needlework and refer as ladies to each-other. It's a comedy, but they could made more different and diverse characters. I will give this show a 6.